Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 04:23 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Warwick, there is a real benefit to being part of an organised group, and you would certainly be safer with closed roads etc, however those SI roads are free to use, lightly trafficed and lightly policed (only one driver in our group got pinged in many km traveled). There is a real cost in being on the road for a week or so, but it will be far less than $15,000. You would give up the higher speed and group involvement but still have 80% of the enjoyment. If it works out for next Easter, I'll be back down there.
Adding to that if you have a group for such a trip you could privately hire a track centrally located such as Levels for the day at a modest cost between you and release all your speed demons!
Old 11-02-2014, 04:35 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

A SI trip with a few good people and fun cars will be fantastic, as those of you who attended the SITT can attest to. Definitely keen for the next one.

Some pictures of the 930 from the Early 911 FB page:
Attached Images    
Old 11-02-2014, 05:21 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
Some pictures of the 930 from the Early 911 FB page:
A fantastic Pukekohe day with Porsches out to play. Ah, the mid-eighties - when the only fashion crime was not indulging in a fashion crime. Car bras predate the 911 (in both senses) but I can't say I'm disappointed that they've become a much rarer sight.

I wonder if she made the corner on that second one: the driver's gaze suggests otherwise.

Last edited by 996tnz; 11-02-2014 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:51 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
Their current position is no cover unless I complete a full day, structured, driver training event. Maybe a bear hug will change their mind.

Going to give them a call tomorrow and see if I can't talk them into it. Currently going through my broker, think I may be able to talk to it a bit better if I do so directly.

In the end if I have to do a full day beforehand so be it. It can't hurt to get more experience, albeit behind the wheel of a BMW.
I think playday is doing a driver training event shortly?
Old 11-02-2014, 08:07 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
A fantastic Pukekohe day with Porsches out to play. Ah, the mid-eighties - when the only fashion crime was not indulging in a fashion crime. Car bras predate the 911 (in both senses) but I can't say I'm disappointed that they've become a much rarer sight.

I wonder if she made the corner on that second one: the driver's gaze suggests otherwise.
I must remember this and add to my "cliche" 80s library of catch phrases!
Old 11-02-2014, 10:49 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gt38088 View Post

The car off was our competitor dueling for class honours. So we got the class win but in sorry circumstances. All were ok but 2 drivers were taken to hospital for observation but are ok
Sorry to hear of another accident but congratulations are still very much due on a well strategised and executed win. Long rallies/endurance events test speed but equally resilience, consistency and patience. Well done Graeme (and Kim).
I haven't had a chance to review video yet but there is a fine line between maintaining a good pace and all out attack mode. I will post some links later.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:54 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the process of planning a South Island road and cycling trip for two weeks over Easter 2015. Once our itinerary is sorted I'll let you all know in case anyone wants to cruise with us for some of it.

I'm a definite for the NI Targa in May 2015. Would be great to have a few RSG peeps new to Targa join us. As one participant put it "the best fun you can have with your pants on". I was initially a bit fearful before doing my first one early this year but there's nothing to be afraid of. If you're good and familiar with your Porsche, like open B road driving, it's nirvana plus.

There's a one day version in about March which is a good way to get an introduction and taster before committing to the three day event.

Some people get quite a lot of stone damage but it's simply from following too close. My Boxster hardly has a mark because I gave the car in front a good 70 metres space. It has a few stone marks from Paul egging me on to catch the Lambo... Which we did, getting a stone shower in the process :-)
Old 11-03-2014, 04:25 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by O2GO
has a few stone marks from Paul egging me on to catch the Lambo... Which we did, getting a stone shower in the process :-)
You weren't complaining at the time.

Targa's are hard on the car, you just need to look at the internal stone chips under the guards on my old C3.

IMHO 1 Targa = 10 track days.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:26 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Pel - is this your car?
Attached Images   
Old 11-03-2014, 04:35 AM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, there was someone looking at that one a while ago I think
Old 11-03-2014, 08:26 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I agree with both Doug and Paul.

Targa can be the equivalent of 10 track days worth of stone damage to the car. However it can also be less than 3. Like Doug says its all about reasonable following distances. I managed to get through a 5 day event better than most. The key is to move yourself up the grid stage by stage till you are working really hard just keeping the guy in front of you within your vision. If you ate driving faster than the car in front you will always be closer than you need to be to avoid the stones. Stone chips dont bother me much - my biggest concern on any Touring or targa is loosing my front windscreen. that would definitely put me out for the rest of an event...

I personally believe that Targa Tour cars should not be allowed to use R comps (unless original vehicle manufacturer fitment to that vehicle). I think minimum tread-wear should be 240.

R comps for targa tour increase the damage to the following car and are totally unnecessary. They wear quicker are far more dangerous to the car and following cars in the wet and are more susceptible to side-wall damage. most of all you simply do not need them. Its not a race and if you are too quick you only get held up by the lead or mid filed pace car in any case.

Those are my thoughts.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:17 PM
Penguinracer
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

As you RSG guys have "Gone all Honda" on us, I'm sitting here in grey London day dreaming about Kiwiland and speculating as to what would be a good budget Targa competiton car.

If you wanted to move from the Tour to the Competition on a sensible budget (in the spirit of 2K Cup etc) what would you use? Given you've got to strip & cage it, you won't want to be too concerned about resale value.
Over here E46 M3s are about £7-8K, add a supercharger kit from someone like Active Autowerke or ESS Tuning & upgrade the brakes & suspension and you might have budget road-burner.

I'm talking about driving something interesting, a bit different, non-Japanese and with enough speed & reliability to really enjoy the event. Any competitiveness would be an unexpected bonus.

Meanwhile in fantasyland - I'd love to see a closed road run through the Mckenzie country - perhaps starting at Fairlie & finishing in Queenstown - imagine that! Those straights between Tekapo & Omarama would let anything stretch its legs! The Lindis...round Lake Dunstan...the Kawarau Gorge...epic!
Tim
Old 11-03-2014, 03:28 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

A good question. The 'Honda' thing is mainly based on the results from the 1st season of the 2k cup. The VTEC integra seems to have the best all round balance between handling and performance, whilst working to the rules. I put that last bit in as the Toyota Levins are being forced back to OEM ECU chips and there's some noise about the leading Peugeot's suspension as well. I think the Integras will dominate, when the field is forced to comply.

Having a bit of experience with the Honda I can offer the following advice:

1. Look around for what other people are doing (as per above)
2. Don't be a pioneer. Use proven technology, preferably manufacturer proven.
3. Understand who is going to do the work before you start. Our mechanic bills started to mount quickly. Luckily the car is fairly basic so I could take over before the money ran out.
4. Buy something that is valid for more than one race type.
5. Set a budget and double it.

I think the smartest money, assuming you don't expect to win races, is to buy an existing compliant race car.

None of the above recommends a particular car. Maybe Graeme can chime in with that advice.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:43 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

E36/E46 M3s are common. No engine work needed as long a it is already healthy but needs a good strong cage, bigger calipers and rotors, pads, a good suspension package adjustable is best and the sky is the limit here. Roads vary from tight and bumpy to smooth and fast. depends on how you want to drive as well. This year 2 cars went off in a big way on a straight double cautioned as a "ford" because they didn't back off.

I wouldn't supercharge it to start with as the massive torque increase will make it harder to drive in the wet. Just get the feel of it first. Lighter weight is best
Old 11-03-2014, 03:54 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

just to emphasize how important I think suspension is I would get 3 way adjustable remote cannisters (need high speed and low speed bump) before engine mods. The cannisters mean there is more oil to absorb the sudden big hits without any secondary bounce

In a few days when I get work under control I will sort out some video

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?