Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 03:58 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 366 Posts

At 6' 4" I don't fit into many sports cars. In fact I couldn't fit in the C4 at the track if Steve hadn't worked his magic on the seat base and rail. I don't think a Lotus would work. In any case I'm 'invested' in the 964 platform for life. Maybe only one more week until I can start Herman up
Old 12-05-2015, 04:37 AM
JD-Motorsports
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is with great pleasure to announce that JD-Motorsports is up and running! I will be the importer / dealer for the Dynamic Suspension Control (DSC) product line from TPC racing based out of Maryland. I currently have a 9X7.1 and a 9X7.2 control unit to carry out product demos with. On the 9X7.2 cars it is a 5 min install, the 9X7.1 non turbo cars will require approx 30min to fit (requires a 3-axis sensor to be wired in).

I will be attending the Dec 12th RSG track day @ HD this coming Saturday. Looking forward to having some discussions with everyone and getting some feedback on the system. With the latest software, we will be able to go in and change the values in the tables and have some fun with it. Meaning, we will be able to individually change the dampers characteristics at each corner of the car at any given Lat. or Long. G value in the table. Tuning shocks with the click of a mouse!!

Quick example of how the system works. We can use the front straight and T1 @ HD for an example.

* As you accelerate out of turn 6 up the hill the dampers will gradually stiffen as the vehicle speed increases using the speed table. This table could be used to help combat the tendency for the front end to feel light and un- nerving, for example we could put in a little more rear damper in this case. But on the whole, the ride will be compliant and supple in a straight line. Soaking up the bumps on the front straight.

* As soon as the driver goes to brakes, the the dampers will stiffen using the brake and g-force tables. This will provide rock solid platform and stability. Enabling the car to be driven hard on entry with total confidence. Or as Randy Pobst would say, "bending the car into the corner"

* As soon as the driver initiates turn in, the outside dampers will stiffen, controlling body roll and sway. At the same time, the inside front damper will soften, thus allowing the use of the curbs without upsetting the chassis. This of course if overall lap-time is to be gained by using the curbs... damn drivers!!

* Mid corner,the offset in the front dampers will still be present. As the driver opens his hands and begins to exit the corner, the fronts will equalize and the rear dampers will soften at first, then stiffen as the longitudinal G-forces increase under heavy acceleration. This moment could be fine tuned for the traction available at the given time in order to put the power down. Exit the corner and get ready for T2!

And that is that.... pretty cool stuff eh!

The 9X1 platforms have just been released, and I will be looking to have a control unit ASAP. The system can be fitted to 996 as well, just a little more hardware is required. The Tractive coilovers are very, very nice units. I can have more in depth conversations about what it would take to fit this system to a 996 or 996 / 997 Cup car for those who are interested. But for for 1st and 2nd gen 9X7s and 9X1s with PASM shocks or Bilstein DampTronics, it is a plug and play system that integrates with the factory CAN bus / electrical architecture seamlessly, No fault codes / warnings.

Please feel free to contact me via email @ jeffdelio@yahoo.com or PM here at Rennlist with any questions.

Cheers!

Jeff Delio
Old 12-05-2015, 04:54 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Welcome Jeff. Thanks for the product news and congratulations on the new venture. I think a few of the boys on here already have the DSC system so no doubt will be pleased to hear you are importing it...
Old 12-05-2015, 04:57 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Ive been talking alt with Tony at Playdays with his exige (about to be remapped for +55bhp) next week by Torque Performance. That car will we him 55K and be running 1.14s at HD with so little running costs its laughable (he hasnt changed pads, tyres or rotors since he imported it).

I think, like in the UK with the track junkies, we are probably barking up the wrong tree trying to make heavy rad cars break 1.13s at HD without breaking our own banks. To sustain a regular hobby of going to the track and wringing the neck of something (such a great feeling) maybe Graeme has the better idea. Or a BacMono if you win lotto, but the 28K ono Elise series 1 on TM would satisfy though it wouldnt get below a 1.18 I suspect.

Im not practicing what I preach. Ill happily run the GT3 another year and the 993 for eternity but then I couldnt be accused of being prudent with my hobby spend...
Or maybe bracket that Exige with a 2KCup Integra and a livened up Turbo? Early Exiges ran the Rover K20 based (so Honda based) engines. Later ones and S run a Toyota Yamaha effort. Exige S power to weight is similar to a stock Turbo's and 0-100 is not far off, but beyond that the power-to-aero drag advantage of the Turbo progressively murders it with the Lotus topping out below 250. TBH I'm not sure if it is gearing or drag limited (think drag as some hotter variants manage a few more kph) but either way that's really just saying it's much more of a track car than a supercar. So yes, it does make a lot of sense on track, where it's lightness lets it rip through the infield quick enough to make up for it being left behind by the Turbo on the straights. All provided its a stock-stock or similarly modded-modded comparo of course.

I love the adrenalin of pushing a big heavy turboed monster on track (though a small, light and massively turboed monster would be even better - Santa, where's the 917?), and have entered every Sprints event since getting the yellow terror (bar one where she was in bits at Contis) but there's a reason most of my track miles are Honda powered miles and you've pretty much pointed it out Macca - along with the thrill and challenge of cheap door to door racing.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:08 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

That said, my favourite track moment still has to be lining up against a GTR at the HD PCNZ Sprints when mine was still 100% stock (other than PSM failing out) and beating it to T1. And my much loved screensaver is a shot of the brilliant Porsche grid at RSG's 'Last of the Summer Rum' so 'Porsche - There Is No Substitute' still applies.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:17 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah. Hear you.

lets imagine you are a salaried IT professional with a young family living in South Auckland. Much of your work is done from home. You earn six figures but you wife is a busy home maker and you are paying a mortgage. You enjoy doing track days in your road Porsche but can only manage 5-6 weekend days a year due to time constraints. Your Porsche road car is getting n and you are finding the 10 and 12 year maintenance costs are mounting up with the punishment and miles.

Tony Quinn comes along, extends the track, puts track prices through the roof and effectively hobbles Playdays and such like. The local track only 15 minutes from your door is now becoming less accessible.

As a Xmas gift from your doting wife sensing your angst and pain rally's the family around t pay the 5K lifetime one off entry fee to Tony Quinns membership which entitles you to attend a 2-3 hour late afternoon session once a week for the whole year. You can handle the 5K pa annual fee as it was what you were spending on tyres and track fees with the 911 road car (it may even have been a heavy turbo).

But you want a reliable hack can drive you 15 minutes to the venue, which is well balanced and sorted and can be run 50 weeks x 50 laps (2500 laps) a year for nix.

Steps in the Elise S1. For 25K negotiated, 5K to get her ready you have a 1.17 (driven with verve) well balance track car even a 6'4" person can fit in (maybe not!). You can sell your heavy road car, pay for the Elise, 3 years wrth of tyres maintenance consumables and Mr Quinns pension fund break even.

Every Wednesday yu turn up, change in the plush changing rooms use the club rooms and whack out 50+ laps getting that aggression out and becoming a peaceful fellow again. Yu go hme a loving husband and life happily moves on.

This is the cost effective thinking mans solution. God for accountants (and bankers LOL!).

Then you wake up, your ABS pump on the 911 has started playing up Kaching), your wife gives yu a plastic Tiki for your Xmas present, and the kids damage your rear fender with their bike.

Ha ha
Old 12-05-2015, 05:43 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Macca
Yeah. Hear you.

lets imagine you are a salaried IT professional with a young family living in South Auckland. Much of your work is done from home. You earn six figures but you wife is a busy home maker and you are paying a mortgage. You enjoy doing track days in your road Porsche but can only manage 5-6 weekend days a year due to time constraints. Your Porsche road car is getting n and you are finding the 10 and 12 year maintenance costs are mounting up with the punishment and miles.

Tony Quinn comes along, extends the track, puts track prices through the roof and effectively hobbles Playdays and such like. The local track only 15 minutes from your door is now becoming less accessible.

As a Xmas gift from your doting wife sensing your angst and pain rally's the family around t pay the 5K lifetime one off entry fee to Tony Quinns membership which entitles you to attend a 2-3 hour late afternoon session once a week for the whole year. You can handle the 5K pa annual fee as it was what you were spending on tyres and track fees with the 911 road car (it may even have been a heavy turbo).

But you want a reliable hack can drive you 15 minutes to the venue, which is well balanced and sorted and can be run 50 weeks x 50 laps (2500 laps) a year for nix.

Steps in the Elise S1. For 25K negotiated, 5K to get her ready you have a 1.17 (driven with verve) well balance track car even a 6'4" person can fit in (maybe not!). You can sell your heavy road car, pay for the Elise, 3 years wrth of tyres maintenance consumables and Mr Quinns pension fund break even.

Every Wednesday yu turn up, change in the plush changing rooms use the club rooms and whack out 50+ laps getting that aggression out and becoming a peaceful fellow again. Yu go hme a loving husband and life happily moves on.

This is the cost effective thinking mans solution. God for accountants (and bankers LOL!).

Then you wake up, your ABS pump on the 911 has started playing up Kaching), your wife gives yu a plastic Tiki for your Xmas present, and the kids damage your rear fender with their bike.

Ha ha
Some truth in that most likely, but personally I'd have to cut my heart out - too addicted to the Turbo. I've never yet gone to a slower car and couldn't see myself starting now. She's already had one birthday on the upgrade front and there's room for another 20% power hike down the track. Maintenance has been 2-3K p.a., about half of it Porsche's silly coolant fittings, which have been sorted now as proven by a smooth NITT and Targa Tour plus some track days since. Depreciation less than that, and almost mileage related only. As for the risk of ABS playing up, ask Paul or Ray - the sooner PSM and ABS get out of my way, the happier I am.

Last edited by 996tnz; 12-05-2015 at 06:01 AM.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:49 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Jason, John said you just use contact adhesive to install the sunroof felt. No special technique.
Thanks. Yeah, that makes it sound easy. I have a feeling glue close to paint with unwieldy strip could have its moments.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:53 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by racoguy
Regarding the sunroof seal, make sure you use a good contact adhesive. I'm not a fan of Ados anymore, Bostik 709 or 3M weather strip adhesive works best for me.
Thanks, yes I obtained the 3m stuff thru a muscle car restorer. Just waiting on courage now.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:54 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
John my paint shop initially stuffed up my sunroof seal. Its a pain in the but to fit and get at the right height as a) the new seals are slightly different/fatter to the original OEM ones and b) they squash up when the sunroof closes and therefor sits higher. I would highly recommend spending some time searching RL reading threads on installation. Colin from 9M didn't a bit of a write up on it as well. Mine sat proud when I got it back and the painters had to remove and refit and get rid of all the surplus glue remnants. Do it once do it right
Great. Courage on hold.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:03 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JD-Motorsports
It is with great pleasure to announce that JD-Motorsports is up and running! I will be the importer / dealer for the Dynamic Suspension Control (DSC) product line from TPC racing based out of Maryland. I currently have a 9X7.1 and a 9X7.2 control unit to carry out product demos with. On the 9X7.2 cars it is a 5 min install, the 9X7.1 non turbo cars will require approx 30min to fit (requires a 3-axis sensor to be wired in). I will be attending the Dec 12th RSG track day @ HD this coming Saturday. Looking forward to having some discussions with everyone and getting some feedback on the system. With the latest software, we will be able to go in and change the values in the tables and have some fun with it. Meaning, we will be able to individually change the dampers characteristics at each corner of the car at any given Lat. or Long. G value in the table. Tuning shocks with the click of a mouse!! Quick example of how the system works. We can use the front straight and T1 @ HD for an example. * As you accelerate out of turn 6 up the hill the dampers will gradually stiffen as the vehicle speed increases using the speed table. This table could be used to help combat the tendency for the front end to feel light and un- nerving, for example we could put in a little more rear damper in this case. But on the whole, the ride will be compliant and supple in a straight line. Soaking up the bumps on the front straight. * As soon as the driver goes to brakes, the the dampers will stiffen using the brake and g-force tables. This will provide rock solid platform and stability. Enabling the car to be driven hard on entry with total confidence. Or as Randy Pobst would say, "bending the car into the corner" * As soon as the driver initiates turn in, the outside dampers will stiffen, controlling body roll and sway. At the same time, the inside front damper will soften, thus allowing the use of the curbs without upsetting the chassis. This of course if overall lap-time is to be gained by using the curbs... damn drivers!! * Mid corner,the offset in the front dampers will still be present. As the driver opens his hands and begins to exit the corner, the fronts will equalize and the rear dampers will soften at first, then stiffen as the longitudinal G-forces increase under heavy acceleration. This moment could be fine tuned for the traction available at the given time in order to put the power down. Exit the corner and get ready for T2! And that is that.... pretty cool stuff eh! The 9X1 platforms have just been released, and I will be looking to have a control unit ASAP. The system can be fitted to 996 as well, just a little more hardware is required. The Tractive coilovers are very, very nice units. I can have more in depth conversations about what it would take to fit this system to a 996 or 996 / 997 Cup car for those who are interested. But for for 1st and 2nd gen 9X7s and 9X1s with PASM shocks or Bilstein DampTronics, it is a plug and play system that integrates with the factory CAN bus / electrical architecture seamlessly, No fault codes / warnings. Please feel free to contact me via email @ jeffdelio@yahoo.com or PM here at Rennlist with any questions. Cheers! Jeff Delio
What can you do for 964s?
Old 12-05-2015, 06:03 AM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The track spec Lotus for the money is the go, a big part of anything is how it makes you feel, this includes the people you do it with. If I hadn't come across you chaps I would be running something else.

A friend of mine runs a WRX at Playdays 393kw at the wheels, must be sub 1250kg. Not sure what times he does, probably GT3 territory. The social aspect isn't the same though.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:07 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

All this Lotus talk.....

How about one of these, but taken to 900kg and a 3.2 or 3.6 donk?
Attached Images  
Old 12-05-2015, 06:11 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Pel
The track spec Lotus for the money is the go, a big part of anything is how it makes you feel, this includes the people you do it with. If I hadn't come across you chaps I would be running something else.

A friend of mine runs a WRX at Playdays 393kw at the wheels, must be sub 1250kg. Not sure what times he does, probably GT3 territory. The social aspect isn't the same though.
Your SC is a good candidate for a lightweight program. I don't know much about it yet in terms of HP and weight. Would be good to have those figures to compare.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:25 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Pel

Tony had a well sorted and fast Subie before going to the Exige S. Pretty sure he was only looking for 15-20K for it so the Subies pretty good on the bang for buck as daily drivable track cars.

For my part, I was looking for a dual duty car, and purposefully chose the Turbo partly for its weight on road. Life insurance is great, but living is better - and one of the stats that has stuck with me is that in a head on collision between mismatched vehicles where one is twice the weight of the other, the driver of the lighter vehicle has 10 times the chance of dying. Something not publicised, or people might stop buying little 5 star safety rated hatchbacks.

Not really an issue for a dedicated track car as traffic is normally one way!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?