Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 01:58 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
To be honest the guy looks OVER QUALIFIED. Hell definately show us all up with a CV like that LOL!
Agree.

Macca, what's your pick for the lap time on the two choices? Can we break 1:30 in either car on good road tyres?
Old 06-25-2014, 02:03 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

John. My gut feel is we will do better with the Alfa than the BMW. I dont recommend we use any track rubber as it will accelerate wear significantly of ancillary coupling susch as CV joints, wheel bearings, drive shafts etc. A good low cost fast road tyre from General, Kumo, Toyo etc should suffice. My gut feel is these are 1.32-1.34 cars pushed to their limites with plenty of oversteer (or should that be torque steer for the FWD car!).
Old 06-25-2014, 02:18 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Tyre size for the Alfa should be 195/65VR15
Old 06-25-2014, 02:51 AM
PHG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John. My gut feel is we will do better with the Alfa than the BMW. I dont recommend we use any track rubber as it will accelerate wear significantly of ancillary coupling susch as CV joints, wheel bearings, drive shafts etc. A good low cost fast road tyre from General, Kumo, Toyo etc should suffice. My gut feel is these are 1.32-1.34 cars pushed to their limites with plenty of oversteer (or should that be torque steer for the FWD car!).
FWD Macca..chronic understeer with the boot into it...
Old 06-25-2014, 03:03 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PHG
FWD Macca..chronic understeer with the boot into it...
Yup. 4 years with a Peugeot GTI so I remember the drill. Sold that car to some Asian student 12 years or more ago. Rock on up to the NITT last year our RSG rep from Asian (Robert "pirouette" Ho) bounces over to me says "Gidday Macca, remember me you sold me your Peugeot 205 GTI". Id like to say I immediately recognised him but I would be lying. What actually came out of my mouth was "I hope it served you well?". Luckily he loved the car, had only a few month early sold it after a decade of ownership! Weve been besties ever since....:-)
Old 06-25-2014, 03:08 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tyres etc for 164 option

Originally Posted by John McM
Tyre size for the Alfa should be 195/65VR15
Some recent reviews on those then:

http://www.laneks.lv/en/tests/read/ADAC-2014-sum2.html

http://www.laneks.lv/en/tests/read/AB-2013-summer1.html

Bit of homework on track prepping a 164 (albeit a 3L V6) for sprints suggests that the lighter 2L probably does only need brake fluid, pads and tyres (+ maybe an oil change), though it may pay to at least check the brake cylinders too:

http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/...ic,11742.0.htm
Old 06-25-2014, 03:35 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

A 164 just pulled up outside the hotel. Hard to believe we can pick one up for $1,400 with a spare engine, gearbox and body parts.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:42 AM
PHG
Racer

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Some recent reviews on those then:

http://www.laneks.lv/en/tests/read/ADAC-2014-sum2.html

http://www.laneks.lv/en/tests/read/AB-2013-summer1.html

Bit of homework on track prepping a 164 (albeit a 3L V6) for sprints suggests that the lighter 2L probably does only need brake fluid, pads and tyres (+ maybe an oil change), though it may pay to at least check the brake cylinders too:

Good post Walter..I mentioned this car had an iffy clutch which felt like a sticky master cylinder..your alfaclub thread says this can be a problem on these rhd cars.
This car has not got aircon fitted etc
It seems the owner (he has had it 20 years and is an Alfa buff) had two of these and the son stacked one of them,..the one with the better motor and drive train, so he just swapped the whole assembly into the other body..he still has many parts, body panels and most of the front assembly from this red one...
I do caution all, that if you were to buy this car, it will be a big mindset change to pedal..as even tho its @ 150hp, I think even those 964 air suckers would be quicker..however it would be a great leveller as all are starting from scratch..
Old 06-25-2014, 03:52 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

For Dave. If yours looks even half this good it will be stunning.
Attached Images     
Old 06-25-2014, 03:56 AM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 996tnz

As Jake said... Whatever it is, it also needs graphics...

Attachment 847120

Attachment 847121

How about a 7/10 race no.?

Safe new shoes from tirerack must be fairly cheap for a 13/14/15" wheel too...

Last edited by Runtothehills; 02-03-2015 at 07:22 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:58 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Runtothehills
As Jake said... Whatever it is, it also needs graphics... How about a 7/10 race no.? Safe new shoes from tirerack must be fairly cheap for a 13/14/15" wheel too...
RIP ?
Old 06-25-2014, 03:58 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PHG
Good post Walter..I mentioned this car had an iffy clutch which felt like a sticky master cylinder..your alfaclub thread says this can be a problem on these rhd cars.
This car has not got aircon fitted etc
It seems the owner (he has had it 20 years and is an Alfa buff) had two of these and the son stacked one of them,..the one with the better motor and drive train, so he just swapped the whole assembly into the other body..he still has many parts, body panels and most of the front assembly from this red one...
I do caution all, that if you were to buy this car, it will be a big mindset change to pedal..as even tho its @ 150hp, I think even those 964 air suckers would be quicker..however it would be a great leveller as all are starting from scratch..
Of the same mind. Its good there are spares but as a guy with a shed storage space issue Im not sure Id want to go there. Quite honestly Id rather tip in an extra $100-$200 to get the best most durable car we can thats functioning as close to perfect as we can get from the get, drive the crap out of it and take it to the scrap yard when it flunks. I can see something with a dodgy synchro, sticky master cylinder being a hassle truth be told. Yes it can be sorted but then your spending money again and to be honest we know even the smaller jobs done mates rates will clock up another $100 a head in no time, be a hassle, frustrating and does Chris really want all that oily stuff on his lovely new garage floor?

Lets not miss the point. Its like buy a 911 for bargain bin pricing then spending the money a week later when the clutch goes. This thing has to make 10 sessions at HD to get a leaderboard even started and if it cant make 5 then there will be a 50% disappointed investor audience...
Old 06-25-2014, 04:01 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
For Dave. If yours looks even half this good it will be stunning.
If I could afford it. That really is a cut above.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:10 AM
PHG
Racer

Of the same mind. Its good there are spares but as a guy with a shed storage space issue Im not sure Id want to go there. Quite honestly Id rather tip in an extra $100-$200 to get the best most durable car we can thats functioning as close to perfect as we can get from the get, drive the crap out of it and take it to the scrap yard when it flunks. I can see something with a dodgy synchro, sticky master cylinder being a hassle truth be told. Yes it can be sorted but then your spending money again and to be honest we know even the smaller jobs done mates rates will clock up another $100 a head in no time, be a hassle, frustrating and does Chris really want all that oily stuff on his lovely new garage floor?

Lets not miss the point. Its like buy a 911 for bargain bin pricing then spending the money a week later when the clutch goes. This thing has to make 10 sessions at HD to get a leaderboard even started and if it cant make 5 then there will be a 50% disappointed investor audience...
Gearbox is fine Macca, it is the spare one that has a slow 2nd gear synchro.
You can take what spares are needed, don't have to, but it seemed good there would be a spare motor, and other bits .. this guy just offered the parts when I told him what the plan was..he thought it was a great idea..I think the car is pretty solid, but as you rightly say..who knows when it is suddenly being given death by a thousand Pauls...
Old 06-25-2014, 04:14 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PHG
Yes, on road tyres, like Macca I suspect we'd have to be doing pretty well to break the 1.30 with it, since the track prepped (r-comps, lowering, brakes and a bit of aero) Formula Challenge Holden and Ford V8s aren't breaking 1:25 at HD when jumped into cold for a few laps, despite some of the drivers including the odd minor NZ race series winner.

Drove a 164 - my father's last car - around half a block once just to get a quick feel for it, but think it was the 3L. Felt reasonably responsive and was peppier than it looked. The brake and accelerator were offset and really close together in that way only Italians think sensible. One of the reasons my dad stopped driving is that he confused the two once too often...

Last edited by 996tnz; 06-25-2014 at 04:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?