Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 03:30 PM
Moochier
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Welcome - tell us more about the Cayman (981/987?) - pics always appreciated. Reading your post I have a suspicion it may be black, with silver accents, Milltek exhaust.... am I close?
Yeah that's the one.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:32 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Chris, the backstory is that Peter found out about the R just as I suspect you had snaffled it. He took me down to Mount Maunganui to pick up mine and had a short run in it, which picqued the latent urge to own one. I hear there are three in the country. Given the UK price I don't think many more will come here for a long time.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:37 PM
Moochier
Instructor

Originally Posted by John McM
It's just clicked, a wait plus all if the fruit already on the car.

I feel your pain but as Paul would say, "let it go"

I suddenly feel the need for a set of 221s on 18" rims etc. we just need to tie up the third R within the group and we have the market cornered. Where is that one?
I saw the cayman's on targa and it stirred something inside me... Haven't stopped thinking about them since then. Went into CCS to ask a few questions and was thinking a cheap manual Cayman S, but walked out with the R!
Old 02-23-2015, 03:39 PM
Moochier
Instructor

Chris, the backstory is that Peter found out about the R just as I suspect you had snaffled it. He took me down to Mount Maunganui to pick up mine and had a short run in it, which picqued the latent urge to own one. I hear there are three in the country. Given the UK price I don't think many more will come here for a long time.
Sorry Peter... Not!
Old 02-23-2015, 03:42 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is for Walter. Sorry to inject Honda into the Porsche talk

Walter, CEL code is 22, which is the Vtec oil pressure switch. This is what I found. I doubt you had Vtec power at Uncles.
At the risk of stealing a couple of extra timeslices from how many price estimates can fit on the head of a pin (but sure - the 2Kcup RSG thread could do with some loving), that would explain why every man and his dog was laughing as they pulled out and passed our mighty green RSG Integra on the straights last time out - and no straight was too short for them. The other 2Kcuppers testing must've reckoned they'd found another 50 HP! Nicely found John - I like it a lot better when they're coming past from in front of me...

Last edited by 996tnz; 02-23-2015 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:53 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
At the risk of stealing a couple of extra timeslices from how many price estimates can fit on the head of a pin , that would explain why every man and his dog was laughing as they pulled out and passed the Grinch on the straights last time out - and no straight was too short for them. The other 2Kcuppers must've reckoned they'd found another 50 HP! Nicely found John.
It also explained why you were doing 1.30.

Neil was zoning in BB on Sunday and is now #4 at 1.26.77. I will run the AIM traces to see where he needs to pick up that last 0.5 seconds. I suspect it is turn 1. How long until someone stacks her on that corner?
Old 02-23-2015, 03:56 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Moochier
I saw the cayman's on targa and it stirred something inside me... Haven't stopped thinking about them since then. Went into CCS to ask a few questions and was thinking a cheap manual Cayman S, but walked out with the R!
Sorry Peter... Not!
Bugger - never mind. If you're after a track toy then the R is the one, no question. I have a manual MY09 car with the DFI engine which I use as a DD but not on track (much!) If you ever get the urge for a manual let me know.

Otherwise enjoy!
Old 02-23-2015, 04:32 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Spokes - we need some feedback and a video clip of the fabspeed and X pipe. Would be interested in your throughts? Any notible performance gain? Noise quality?
The exhaust note over my old system is superb, nice clean deep note. Inside cabin noise is just right. Definitely on full throttle it growls with urgency while in the cruise not too loud at all. I had a friend stay over the weekend and asked him to do a drive by, brought a big smile to my face the deep sound as it shot by was great. Unfortunately, I left my iPhone in the car, and didn't think about it until later about recording, next time.

Power, unfortunately or fortunately I installed the SW Chip just prior to installing the X-pipe and Maxflo, so I can't give much credit the fab speed system except noise. I am sure the power claimed by SW Chip and Fabspeed is not cumulative ( I wish).

If you want to try my old cat by-pass pipes let me know. They are just sitting under the bench! Bichoff.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:53 PM
shiraz
Racer

Spokes, sounded good in clip you sent me - David
Old 02-23-2015, 06:16 PM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up a Cayman R from CCS. Already has a bunch of stuff on it. It's purely a track toy, although it's still very drivable as a street car.... For now. Keen to do teargas, track days and events that don't require homologation.

My track wheels are 18" but I'm not sure what size tyres I'm after as I havn't picked up the car yet and haven't researched. Anyone can jump in here and shed some light...I had spoken to the dealer about Pirelli and given they are being thrown in I might not get to change that if they have already secured some. Will call them today and see if I can get Hankooks or R888's instead.

Ha, I think I'd prefer to be working on my tan too, I work with about 80 women... So this is to keep me sane!
Nice buy! I was in at CCS talking about them and they said "we just sold the PDK one" and I asked if he meant Tipo and he said, oh no one was an R as there were three (I had only seen the manual and the tipo). Should be pretty quick around the track that! Are you going to keep the wrap on?
Old 02-23-2015, 06:25 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Moochier. Good work on the R. I know the previous owner Brett McCarthy and was aware through Pete & John it was on the block. I ran Targa Tour 2012 in the 993 when Brett took the Cayman R (it was new at that time). Its had a lot of fruit installed since. It will be a great car for the track and will keep John honest! My advice if you are getting Pierreli into the deal is Trofeo R (assumes the right size available 19"). If you are using a 18" the Z221 is probably the best of the bunch. Once you got to 19 you will be more limited but should not write off the Nitto NT01 which the guys in the states like on the Spyder/R. Toyo 888 is OK but a bit old. Dunlop have some new compound in the DSO3G IIRC but pricey. Sorry all from memory as Im by the pool LOL!
Old 02-23-2015, 07:59 PM
shiraz
Racer

She also has Bill Clintons cigar!
Old 02-23-2015, 08:06 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Post got deleted by administrator :-)
Old 02-23-2015, 08:22 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

It also explained why you were doing 1.30.

Neil was zoning in BB on Sunday and is now #4 at 1.26.77. I will run the AIM traces to see where he needs to pick up that last 0.5 seconds. I suspect it is turn 1. How long until someone stacks her on that corner?
BB has to die at some stage and what better way to go out than bloodying its nose on the wall at turn one?
Old 02-23-2015, 08:25 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
BB has to die at some stage and what better way to go out than bloodying its nose on the wall at turn one?
Jason is the last co-owner to bust his BB cherry. He's had practice with walls so should do it in style.

I'll make sure he gets a big audience in the arrive and drive plus we put multiple cameras on the car.

Then we can harvest parts for the race cars....

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?