Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014 | 12:57 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Macca,

I was at CCS today and managed to get a harder look at your engine bay and to see how they fixed the GT3 engine issues??

Quite an interesting solution
Attached Images  
Old 07-12-2014 | 01:10 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Macca,

I was at CCS today and managed to get a harder look at your engine bay and to see how they fixed the GT3 engine issues??

Quite an interesting solution
gotta have what... 250 hp?
Old 07-12-2014 | 01:22 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Will be interesting to see how Dave drives The Orange at the track - we know he can 'peddle' now in BB.
I'll be taking it easy. No experience in torsion bar 911's. One thing I will enjoy though is a completely renewed mechanical package so I may be giving it a bit more than the '64 got. I would at some stage like to know the cars true potential to work up to that when the time is right. Anyone have any guesses? 230BHP in under 1100 kg's, Max tyre width of 205mm on 7" rims. I don't know for sure but I think Steve's little gulf car is 1.17's and not sure of the white RS rep but mine will be similar spec if just a tad heavier with full steel body and interior trim. It should be faster than a 964 roadie based on pure numbers but That depends on the advantages a '64 chassis, power and tyre patch offsets its extra weight.
Old 07-12-2014 | 02:09 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Paul. That photoshop had me p*ssing myself :-)

Dave. Steves white "rs rep" he took on NITT last year would be good for 1.17-1.18 at HD I reckon in his hands at least.
Old 07-12-2014 | 02:23 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Paul. That photoshop had me p*ssing myself :-)

Dave. Steves white "rs rep" he took on NITT last year would be good for 1.17-1.18 at HD I reckon in his hands at least.
The white car circulates in 1.19's at the mo.

The blue car does high 17's.
Old 07-12-2014 | 02:29 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Here's some more for ya mate with a few more mods.

My understanding is that if you make more mods, i.e. add bucket seats and adj camber plates then they add that to your plate. Note on one of these it even mentions "steering wheel". In your case the factory 3 spoke wheel wouldn't trigger this but a non factory wheel would. So your seats and more than likely if they are not OEM the brackets would need certifying.

Its legislation so technically there is no way around it hence why I take my 993 to the same places for WoF's etc to avoid any hassle.

The general idea was to provide "safer" cars due to boy racers bolting in a race seat with home made brackets or dropping in a 400hp rotor in their Datsun with no other mods and also so when you're doing burnouts in your 993 at 2am outside Johns house Mr Police can stop you and check if your car is certified... as well as doing you for sustained loss of traction.... if not then you get a pretty sticker for your windscreen.

So generally speaking we aren't the "target market" however I do wonder what would happen in the even of an accident. Although I do think this would only be an issue if the cause was due to a part that wasn't original or certified being the cause of or contributing to the accident.
Attached Images    
Old 07-12-2014 | 03:01 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Probably missed this a few pages back but where do you guys recommend buying Nitto NT01s?
Old 07-12-2014 | 03:02 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks Jamie. Looks like more legislative NZ PC drivel to me.

If Im not insured on public roads then it would be nice to know so I can stop paying my insurance premium and self insure.

What I dont understand is how a WOF can be issued if no VCC is present on a car like mine, Steve R, Chris B, Matt G, Paul M, yourself or any number of of us on here who may fall technically foul of the act on the basis we have aftermarket exhausts, headers, wheels, rear wings etc on our cars.

As far as Im aware and I cant say Ive studied it in detail, but mu insurer requires the car to be WOD'd and rego'd for cover. Maybe its in the fine print...

I see how its been designed to govern the young drifter community but passing such requirements into law has far further reaching implications.

Im pretty sure none of this existed (to anywhere near this extent) 8.5 years ago when I left NZ. But back then you could make a call while driving and smack your kids so it doesnt surprise me at all...
Old 07-12-2014 | 03:06 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

macca that Gp4 price would be ok if you could get the aussie gst back upon export before having to pay nz gst. Is there any way that is possible
Old 07-12-2014 | 03:11 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Probably missed this a few pages back but where do you guys recommend buying Nitto NT01s?
Peter, YHI (.co.nz) stock and import Nitto NT01s - think they might be the factory approved importer for NZ actually.

@Macca, everyone makes their own calls on risk. I'm happy to wear my mistake in a race if it comes to it. Less happy to bend over and say thanks so much should my insurance decline payout on road. If you think that car hire company policies were tough, you should try insurance companies. Happy with mine, but they all employ people to say no to as many claims as possible. Googling 'LVV threshold guide' is not hard and I'm sure insurance companies are capable of doing so too. It's a personal choice to stay below the LVV threshold for now as I hate bureaucracy, especially repetitive bureaucracy that wants to approve every change in ride height etc. As and when I do go the LVV route, I will likely jump in deep - but will try to do it in one hit.

Also, I average 10,000 kms a year in mine so our risk levels vary (though Targa is a grey area that may level that up - don't know exactly how technically road worthy they'd need the cars to be for insurance purposes).

Last edited by 996tnz; 07-12-2014 at 06:43 AM.
Old 07-12-2014 | 03:19 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088
macca that Gp4 price would be ok if you could get the aussie gst back upon export before having to pay nz gst. Is there any way that is possible
Sure Graeme. Today its looking better than in May last year due to close to parity in the exchange rates. You will get 10% GST back on the car buying from an outfit such as AutoHaus who will beable to export and not charge the GST by activating an exception by producing a Bill of Laden to the ATO. You would then pay 15% in NZ on lading plus various other hcarges that you already know. I would imagine you could land taxed a new GP4 creation from AutoHaus into NZ for around 160K NZD including shipping and GST...

Walt. I dont trust the insurers either so I will but the question directly to the underwriters (Roger Scholes should beable to answer that) of Prestigio next week when Im back as Im driving with him on 20th. Love to get to the bottom of this. Given my drivetrain is now complete and there is little more to change on the suspension/interior/exterior side I could consider getting the LVV done if it is a real concern...
Old 07-12-2014 | 04:10 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Walt. I dont trust the insurers either so I will but the question directly to the underwriters (Roger Scholes should beable to answer that) of Prestigio next week when Im back as Im driving with him on 20th. Love to get to the bottom of this. Given my drivetrain is now complete and there is little more to change on the suspension/interior/exterior side I could consider getting the LVV done if it is a real concern...
Good move and will be interested to hear back. I declared my mods to them and they were happy to continue cover. Can't be sure but I'd suspect it will go the same for you. That would only leave the risk of getting pink or green stickered by someone in blue who's having a bad day.
Old 07-12-2014 | 04:15 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Walt. I did same. Provided them the bespoke brochure I had professionally produced for me in 2012 plus the previously posted list of 100 group component changes to the vehicle. They accepted this as part of the insurance but if what I'm hearing is correct the vehicle could be "illegal" on the road regardless of that a WOF and a Rego therefore they could still reneg the policy. Im happy to self insure if I have to as Ive only just started cover with prestigio a year ago otherwise being self insured on targa and track - I just want to know if Im wasting $1000 a year for a premium on a policy that can be contested...
Old 07-12-2014 | 04:26 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
CCS do them. Probably not the cheapest??

Try Hyper Drive?
Old 07-12-2014 | 04:34 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
Here's some more for ya mate with a few more mods. My understanding is that if you make more mods, i.e. add bucket seats and adj camber plates then they add that to your plate. Note on one of these it even mentions "steering wheel". In your case the factory 3 spoke wheel wouldn't trigger this but a non factory wheel would. So your seats and more than likely if they are not OEM the brackets would need certifying. Its legislation so technically there is no way around it hence why I take my 993 to the same places for WoF's etc to avoid any hassle. The general idea was to provide "safer" cars due to boy racers bolting in a race seat with home made brackets or dropping in a 400hp rotor in their Datsun with no other mods and also so when you're doing burnouts in your 993 at 2am outside Johns house Mr Police can stop you and check if your car is certified... as well as doing you for sustained loss of traction.... if not then you get a pretty sticker for your windscreen. So generally speaking we aren't the "target market" however I do wonder what would happen in the even of an accident. Although I do think this would only be an issue if the cause was due to a part that wasn't original or certified being the cause of or contributing to the accident.
Thanks Jamie. Looks like more legislative NZ PC drivel to me. If Im not insured on public roads then it would be nice to know so I can stop paying my insurance premium and self insure. What I dont understand is how a WOF can be issued if no VCC is present on a car like mine, Steve R, Chris B, Matt G, Paul M, yourself or any number of of us on here who may fall technically foul of the act on the basis we have aftermarket exhausts, headers, wheels, rear wings etc on our cars. As far as Im aware and I cant say Ive studied it in detail, but mu insurer requires the car to be WOD'd and rego'd for cover. Maybe its in the fine print... I see how its been designed to govern the young drifter community but passing such requirements into law has far further reaching implications. Im pretty sure none of this existed (to anywhere near this extent) 8.5 years ago when I left NZ. But back then you could make a call while driving and smack your kids so it doesnt surprise me at all...
Wheel spacers? I get LVV, but wow... If govt were worried about anything legitimate they'd actually do proper safety inspections than what passes for a WOF exam. Good start would be an actual emissions test - I more frequently breathe in massive fumes in Auckland than the most redneck coal-rolling backwater or urban ghetto in 'Murica. And that's me living in the relative sticks. Every time I drive uphill I wish the cabin filters in the 911 were better. 100% Pure BS

Macca, you might prefer owning cars in California to fly in and drive every few months!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?