Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 10:15 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Wonder how many 993TTs are in NZ? Maybe more Turbo 3.6s around.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:33 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi John. EMD confirm in writing to me 21 officially imported and sold NZ new plus one turbo S model and 1 GT2 (bill Farmer bought as race car and was picked up direct from factory in Europe IIRC). My database spanning 5 years of car sales from 2004-late 2009 indicates around 44 models in NZ including imports. Interestingly there were half a dozen imports from Singapore, but also imports from Japan, HK, UK, Brunai. I have personally looked or driven (or been driven) in around 25 examples myself over the last 12 years.

Your 3.6 is a rarer car in NZ.

Cheers
Old 12-03-2011, 11:27 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Common as muck

BTW had to cancel my Parade trip, as short at work due to a resignation. I will become more reliable when I return for good in 2013 and get my car out regularly.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:41 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi John. I saw that and was disappointed for you. It appears there are still a few benefits of being self employed. Hopefully you can find someone to fill the gap between now and then. Its only a week away after all....
Cheers
Old 12-04-2011, 12:00 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I would be a poor self employed person - too many distractions if I chose how to spend my time

BTW: what would currently take your fancy as an interesting second car to take you through the next decade? You know, something you would keep an interest in long term that wouldn't do your dough in depreciation but is more spouse friendly. The Aston's seem to be settling down to good levels now.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:22 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

The sounds of a man coming home ;-)

The Aston v8 Vantage is a great looking Ford John. But seriously its not the car for you. IIRC you are 6'3"+ maybe 6'4". Im around 6'1"-6'2" and when sitting in a Vantage coupe Im looking just below the top of the window screen. Looks like your seeing through Ned Kellys Helmet - can only imagine it would be worse for you. Beautiful car but very raked front window and very small side windows. Feels like an Audi TT in there!

Its a good question though. I chose a 2001 e39 M5 but that's a far different budget category. Its also an old car these days and its 6 speed too. I know your wife can drive stick so you have a better range than most to choose from. With a 3.6 T in the garage Id be tempted either to add a 997.1 GT3 or go entirely the other way into super saloon. The last gen M5 Id pass on, but Id consider the current Audi RS6. The current RS4 is a good car as is the current M3 V8 coupe. These cars can get you to work, school and fast country roads and you dont worry so much when you park them in Auckland for a movie. If you are thinking sports car however the Vantage was a good start. Porsche is undeniably good money but more of the same of what you already have. I think you should strike the Vantage off for an early R8. These can be had similar money to the Aston and are a far better dynamic package even if thee looks are a bit questionable. The Aston, Audi RS6 and M3 will still have plenty to fall but the R* I think will hold well in long term same as 997.1 GT3 which I believe at 15k today mustn't be too far off from a bargain. The Maser Quatraportte is a nice car but a rich mans toy - the depreciation will be savage. The Modena 360 manual is much mis understood and will come back as a classic and hold well. To avoid depreciation you need to go under $80k and get something a bit older and more unusual. Of course may not be as quick lux or reliable thats all....

Cheers
Old 12-04-2011, 12:44 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Unhappy

Yes, homeward bound. It will be 8 years offshore in my second stint by then. Time to throttle back and enjoy a slower pace. It doesn't help that I spend many hours watching Discovery Turbo with programs about people passionate about playing with older cars. One called "chasing classic cars" has me salivating. I don't want my car to be a barn find for someone else!

Noted on the size constraint with the Vantage. Is the DB9 better? Actually the RS* appeals. My wife likes Audis. She even thinks the Q7 is cute . Off to Tradme to see where the market is. Thanks for the suggestions. Cheers.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:56 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

10+8=18. You deserve a break!

The DB9 is better. Its a far larger car. I think the prices are still fairly strong however. Its probably more a GT than a sports car. The R8 as much as I hate to say it is an incredible package. Reliable too. Not many on the roads here.

My thoughts would be if you want to play catch up on car enjoyment start with 80k on the used market (there are so many good deals on TM these days and as you can imagine they are going to get more plentiful in 2012!) and flip something every 12-18 months till your purse has shrunk to 30k at which time you will have owned and sold around 5 performance cars over 7 years and had a blast. Call it your own super car lease scheme. The most interesting stuff seems to be 1998-2008 and below 85k these days....

Cheers
Old 12-04-2011, 01:00 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I would love an Aston in the garage, and a 360, and an R8, but for now the old thing I have will just have to do

Mark, I was also going to tell you that we also have pulled out of the parade for work reasons. I have never had to deal with staff before and booking holidays.
Apparantly I agreed to holidays when I took over, and they're holding me to it.
But in a nice way.
We will still come for a night though and peep through the windows where hopefully you can throw me a bread roll. On top of that it's one less reason to stay away from that track.

John don't listen to Mark about the Ford dig! There's nothing Ford about an Aston. Jeeze Mark hahahaha. If I had a left nut I would give it up for an Aston.
Cheers
Old 12-04-2011, 01:26 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

My database spanning 5 years of car sales from 2004-late 2009 indicates around 44 models in NZ including imports.

So that's one 993 Turbo per 100K people. That's rare
Old 12-04-2011, 01:51 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Mate sorry to hear that. Ill make sure Ill save you a cream bun or something!

The 993TT is definitely not a common car. Great ride too.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:11 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

The DB7 is a Ford, Gallardo is an Audi and 911 is a VW....similar themes over the years! The UK is increasingly setting prices for second hand European cars in NZ. I think the Vantage and DB 9 are heading sub $100k. Might still have a peak at the latter, but my wife will likely prefer an Audi Station wagon and the fact that there are some serious performance models in that line up makes my pain less

Yes Mark 18 years is enough. None of it in Porsche friendly countries. I have a lot of catching up to do.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:19 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Fill your boots John. You are heading for the right country! A UK import is another way to go. As long as its post 2006 and meets the Euro3 emmissions standards from production its allowed in and with the NZD buying great pound at the moment its worth considering for anything youd generally pay over 100k used for in NZ.

I prefer the Vantage to the DB9 but there's not denying both are gorgeous. The 4.7 V8 Vantage is such a wonderful package but Ive never seen anything I like below 125k and as I say its not a pratical drive for anyone over 6'2". Theres alot of performance wagon out there for 60-80k from MB and Audi. You will be in hog heaven!

Cheers
Old 12-04-2011, 03:35 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Half the fun is the chase. I will certainly be in hog heaven. Lucky for our wives we are obsessed with cars. This much passion put in the wrong direction would be dangerous.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:49 AM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Hi John. EMD confirm in writing to me 21 officially imported and sold NZ new plus one turbo S model and 1 GT2 (bill Farmer bought as race car and was picked up direct from factory in Europe IIRC). My database spanning 5 years of car sales from 2004-late 2009 indicates around 44 models in NZ including imports. Interestingly there were half a dozen imports from Singapore, but also imports from Japan, HK, UK, Brunai. I have personally looked or driven (or been driven) in around 25 examples myself over the last 12 years.

Your 3.6 is a rarer car in NZ.

Cheers
I recall a written off Blue NZ new 993 Turbo at Turners around about 2 years ago.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?