Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 04:08 PM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I jist confirmed w pcna On new cars (not loaners or Demos ) in service date begins date of purchase,4 yrs / 50 k miles and on
emissions 10 yrs /120 k miles
towson has only one new vehicle Carrara white / Black/luxur interoir $80 sticker
Old 12-09-2017, 04:12 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Ok - editing my previous reply completely.

Interesting that PCNA told you 4/50.

I just emailed the sales guy that had the red new 16 I was looking at. He told me:

Hello Jim,

It was my pleasure to meet with you both the other night to assist in your vehicle needs.

The new 2016 Cayenne Diesel vehicles come with the 6/100,000 mile warranty as the standard warranty instead of the original 4/50,000 that you had stated.

Please let me know if you may have any further questions or if you would like to come in take the vehicle for a test drive.

Ugh why is there so much conflicting info out there?

4/50 alters my desire to buy a new one.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:18 PM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Originally Posted by OmniGLH

I just emailed the sales guy that had the red new 16 I was looking at. He told me:

my sales guy initially said the same 6/100 , he literally just called me stating he that what he quoted me is incorrect , that he confirmed w pcna 4/50 k
Old 12-09-2017, 04:27 PM
NM912E
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandPaJohn
Well, so much for not playing games. I've called 8 different Porsche dealers today and I think I have 5 different responses.

1- Can't sell any diesels yet, probably won't be until spring
2- We can sell new ones but not used ones. Only warranty is the 4yr/50k plus the 100k emissions warranty. Warranty starts when I take delivery. So basically no incentive.
3- We can sell both new and used but the all warranties all start 2-3 years ago as all cars are punched. All have remainder of new warranty plus CPO to 6yr/100k
4- Can't sell any yet, waiting to hear any day now.
5- WTF do you want a diesel for? Buy a turbo.

Those of you that have recently purchased...what did you get for warranty?
I tried everything I could to ensure I got a off lease vehicle with the potential of the full refund but at the end of the day it became a crap shoot. I will for sure get half but no one would tell me if the car was registered in the settlement suit. I called 3 times to maybe get a different emissions rep who would give me a clue I even told them that it would be a deciding factor in my purchase, so kudos to you if you could get the info from them.

On your warranty issue I called Porsche customer service direct and asked them to give me the actual dates the warranty will expire for specific VIN's . I would recommend the same step.

Keep trying on calls to Dealers , I called about the same number of dealers as you for the 5 or 6 weeks after the settlement trying to get in as soon as the vehicles were released for sale and only 2 were on top of the issue, North Houston and Monterey Porsche , but Monterey had a smaller inventory.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:41 PM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Spoke to my local gm who is a good friend of mine , the issue is there is conflicting info ,the new car stickers for the stop sale diesels state 4yr/50k
but regional pcna rep stated it is 6yr/100k
Thus there is lack of clarity
Old 12-09-2017, 05:51 PM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

I think the issue here on warranties stems from the fact that some dealer "punch" the titles which starts the clock ticking on the warranty. They are technically still "new" as they have never been titled but the warranty start date is the punch date. These cars get basically new warranty PLUS a CPO warranty. One dealer told me that punching has something to do with helping with the floor planning financing.
If a dealer did not punch, then it is a new car and it's just the standard new car 4/50 warranty w/o the extended CPO but it starts when you buy it.
Neither scenario affects the 6/120k emission warranty that ALL CDs get.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:40 PM
John-in-Texas
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still some CD's in Houston!

Originally Posted by JWrightPNH
We are currently working to get the details online at his time..

Attached are the 15 Cayenne Diesels that we have available, to note, we have used a few of these as loaner cars while they were sitting
so if you find one of interest please contact me and I can verify the mileage on it.

John
I contacted John Wright at Porsche of North Houston today, and I now have a 2016 in the works.
Please be sure to ask for John... He's a long-time supporter of this forum and a great guy to deal with.
I think there are still some CD's at North Houston, and all are at 20% discount. Check it out!
Old 12-09-2017, 09:27 PM
alterniTECH
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 CD with the Fix!

Hi everyone!
I dropped my CD off on Monday at my local dealer (only one in Jacksonville, FL - Fields Porsche, FKA Brumos). I had a laundry list of things for them to do, so it took them all week to address all issues and apply the diesel fixes. I picked it up today (Yes, they would have brought it to me, but was more convenient for me to get it). Here's my experience:
>> They treated me very well, gave me a Macan to drive whilst performing the repairs.
>> I got the money on Wednesday (Chase email/direct deposit hit on Thursday) - I found it interesting that I hadn't even gotten it back yet...
>> Detail was excellent.
>> Full tank of fuel and AdBlue.
>> I started driving home, and about 10 miles into my trip back home (I live about 16 miles from the dealer), I got a "Check left rear brake lamp" message. So, I turned around, went back to the dealer... I was greeted again with open arms, immediately a technician (very clinical appearing/clean/and well spoken) showed up with a very clinical cart and computer. The short of it, they've ordered both the outer (on quarter) and inner (on tailgate) left tail lamps. They were awesome... This was just by chance and unrelated to the diesel related repairs...
>> OK, now, for my experience. Like many others, the shifting pattern is different (Holds gears a bit longer, particularly when cold) (note: when I picked it up it was about 47 degrees, and the vehicle was cold). The engine sound is the same to me (but I wear hearing aids - half deaf in my lower frequencies). The shifting patterns seem to be more refined, and, quite frankly, I like it better. I do not notice ANY performance degradation. None. I have put about 60 miles on it thus far, and am still a very happy CD Owner. Of course, time will tell on the fuel economy, and I won't trust the computer to tell me, so I'll wait until the fill up to calculate it.
>> The exhaust smell - smells like new car (metals breaking in with the heat of the exhaust...).

That's it. I am ever so pleased with everything (fingers crossed, it remains this way!).
So, I hope this helps any of you whom are on the fence about this. I would highly recommend to get 'er done. (at least at this time!) :-)
Old 12-09-2017, 10:32 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

I think the issue here on warranties stems from the fact that some dealer "punch" the titles which starts the clock ticking on the warranty. They are technically still "new" as they have never been titled but the warranty start date is the punch date. These cars get basically new warranty PLUS a CPO warranty. One dealer told me that punching has something to do with helping with the floor planning financing.
If a dealer did not punch, then it is a new car and it's just the standard new car 4/50 warranty w/o the extended CPO but it starts when you buy it.
Neither scenario affects the 6/120k emission warranty that ALL CDs get.
I think the issue is no clear communications between PCNA and dealers. Add that speculation, assumption and advice from the interwebz and it adds up to different "truths" going out.

Porsche said all diesels were given the extended warranty. So, theoretically, even the new, unpunched should be covered.

On the other hand, if you buy a new (fixed) diesel, you've not been hurt, so why offer the extended warranty? It would be good "optics" to make it 6/100, but what's the risk and/or cost in doing that? That's what factors into all this.

And, if a new vehicle doesn't come with that extended warranty, but a dealer still wants close to MSRP for the vehicles, or even 15% off, what are you getting besides a 2 year old (maybe 3, if you find a 2015) with, probably, some miles on it? Nada. Other than low miles, there is absolutely no reason to be paying more than used car pricing (adjusted for mileage, of course).
Old 12-09-2017, 11:02 PM
onelove
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
On the other hand, if you buy a new (fixed) diesel, you've not been hurt, so why offer the extended warranty? It would be good "optics" to make it 6/100, but what's the risk and/or cost in doing that? That's what factors into all this.

And, if a new vehicle doesn't come with that extended warranty, but a dealer still wants close to MSRP for the vehicles, or even 15% off, what are you getting besides a 2 year old (maybe 3, if you find a 2015) with, probably, some miles on it? Nada. Other than low miles, there is absolutely no reason to be paying more than used car pricing (adjusted for mileage, of course).
I think the adjustment in price helps get it to used car pricing for a low mileage example. (I agree 10% off isn’t enough for this reason).

The extended warranty is a must to help cover the risks of unknown associated with the car sitting for 2-2.5 years. Every dealer treated the cars differently it seems but 6yr/100k is enough to make up for this for most, 4/50k takes away some of the benefit of “the deal”
Old 12-10-2017, 12:39 PM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

Originally Posted by OmniGLH

If I were you, 'd check the start date for that 6yr/100m warranty. You might find that the clock started back in 2015 when they punched the title so you may really have a 4yr/100m warranty.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:52 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

If I were you, 'd check the start date for that 6yr/100m warranty. You might find that the clock started back in 2015 when they punched the title so you may really have a 4yr/100m warranty.
4 more years/100K on a used car is awesome. I think we're all pretty aware that a car punched in 2015 only has 4 years left or up to 100K miles. But it is a 6/100 with 4/XXX left, depending on the mileage on the odo.

The rub is the apparent loss of the 6/100 on the "new" CDs that haven't been sold or pressed into loaner service. If they only get the 4/50, it's just another reason why these cars should be priced as used vs new cars. And goes against what Porsche said at the beginning of all this; that all Cayenne diesels had a 6/100 warranty.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:04 PM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

Originally Posted by skiahh
4 more years/100K on a used car is awesome. I think we're all pretty aware that a car punched in 2015 only has 4 years left or up to 100K miles. But it is a 6/100 with 4/XXX left, depending on the mileage on the odo.

The rub is the apparent loss of the 6/100 on the "new" CDs that haven't been sold or pressed into loaner service. If they only get the 4/50, it's just another reason why these cars should be priced as used vs new cars. And goes against what Porsche said at the beginning of all this; that all Cayenne diesels had a 6/100 warranty.
Oh I agree.....all should get the 6yr/100m. But if someone drives less than 12,500/yr it really doesn't matter if it's 4/50 or 4/100. Personally, I do about 20k a year so the 50k is too short for me.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:06 PM
AndrewWK
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Picked up the first of our two 2013's post recall completion. Dealer also replaced both NOx sensors under warranty due to a code stored in the computer while performing the recall. This one is the Wife's, so I have not had a chance to drive it on a cold engine yet. I don't mind the standard shift pattern changes, transmission actually felt a bit smoother and more intuitive in gear selection than before. I did one full throttle run in sport mode onto the freeway and the car feels like it is missing some steam up top, but will allow more time to adapt.

Does anyone know the details of warranty changes after the repair? My SA knew of nothing beyond the CPO coverage already provided by Porsche.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:02 AM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Hello John, hope all is well with you. Please correct me if I am wrong. The 2016 CD at 20% off MSRP have miles anywhere from 3K to 5K miles isn't it? I think the dealership used them as demo/loaners, thus the mileage on the CD. Please advise.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by John-in-Texas
I contacted John Wright at Porsche of North Houston today, and I now have a 2016 in the works.
Please be sure to ask for John... He's a long-time supporter of this forum and a great guy to deal with.
I think there are still some CD's at North Houston, and all are at 20% discount. Check it out!

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue