Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 08:38 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by sclemmons
I have not scheduled the fix. Do I get the extended warranty whether I do the fix or not? Or do I have to do the fix the get the warranty?
No fix=No warranty.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:41 PM
Rupert16
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Emissions warranty.

Originally Posted by BenCD
No fix=No warranty.
I’ve decided to go with a Malone Tune, I’m up here in Western Canada.
The reason I decided this route is to prolong the life of the engine etc. I’m also changing the oil every 4000-5000 kilometres, I do this myself.
I’m beginning to have less faith in this warranty, it sounds like Porsche Nth America are realizing what a total screw up has happened to our engines and TCU’s, that they’re pushing back a little. This is the assumption I get from frustrated owners on the forum.

Since the Tune my Diesel is running way smoother and the low speed bogging down that a lot of owners have experienced, is totally gone.
The TCU fix is next, hoping Malone have one available soon.

I’ve also shared my installation & photos of the Mann ProVent 200 crank case I installed about 2 months ago, a very necessary addition to help keep all the oil filled vapour from contaminating our induction cycle.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:04 PM
coffeeisgood
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Rupert16
Stanadyne is probably easier to find, Opti- Lube isn't sold by traditional retailers.

I've been using Opt-lube for many years, very pleased with the results.
I use Opti-Lube Boost for it's Cetane improvement and have recently ordered there XL Lubricant which the
highest HFRR rating, even better than XPD.
https://opti-lube.com/

looks like Amazon has the Opti-Lube Boost! for $27.48 USD a quart
Why is Cetane improvement better?

based on Opit-Lube website / chart, the XL does not have much Centane? but like you said the highest HFRR rating ? which I am assuming is good / better for lubing up the engine to keep her flowing...
I am all for diesel fuel additives (but me thinks only one at a time, no crazy chemistry experiment with fuel)

Old 11-12-2019, 05:35 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 309 Posts

Rupert16

Which Malone tune did you go with?

Thanks
Old 11-14-2019, 10:57 AM
dave-C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

For the 2015-2016 Gen 2 CD the claims deadline is December 31, 2019 (VW strongly recommends December 1, 2019) and the fix has to be completed by April 30, 2020.
That gives me a few more months to procrastinate and hope that something happens to improve the fix. Meanwhile I started using Stanadyne because I plan to keep my CD for a long time.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:07 PM
coffeeisgood
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by dave-C2
For the 2015-2016 Gen 2 CD the claims deadline is December 31, 2019 (VW strongly recommends December 1, 2019) and the fix has to be completed by April 30, 2020.
That gives me a few more months to procrastinate and hope that something happens to improve the fix. Meanwhile I started using Stanadyne because I plan to keep my CD for a long time.
report back on the differences you experience that you believe are the result of using Stanadyne fuel additive

I have started to do the same., 7 oz. per fill up of 100 litters (26.4 gallons)

Old 11-16-2019, 09:55 AM
dave-C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

My second use of Stanadyne was yesterday. Nothing to report yet.
I've been casual about the quantity of additive in relation to the fuel because the bottle is opaque enough to make it difficult to see how much is inside. I presume that it's important to add at least the minimum recommended ratio, is there a maximum that should be observed?
Old 11-16-2019, 03:02 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Since Cummins endorsed Power Service, I decided to give it a try.

Based on recommended "dosages", I ran ~20 oz through a tank of fuel to initially clean things out and when I refilled, went to the normal dose of ~10 oz/tank. That's based on interpolating dosages from the website.

Anecdotally, I think it's improved things. Mileage was up for that first tank. Engine response seemed a bit more... peppy. Placebo effect? Maybe. Time will tell, but since I was aware i might have that placebo effect, maybe not, too.

Next up, my Cummins Ram and see if there's any percieved impact on that beast. It's a 2003 (I'm the original owner) and has never had any treatment or real engine work done on it, so far.
The following users liked this post:
BenCD (11-17-2019)
Old 12-04-2019, 11:26 PM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

FWIW, many of the driveability issues I was having with my 2013 CD "post-fix" were greatly reduced after an ATF and filter change.

The shifting is MUCH smoother, and there is less jerkiness, if any, from a stop. I have yet to reproduce the whole "rolling stop" issue, so that seems improved as well.

The improvement is really unexpected, and definitely worth doing the job - so if you have one of these vehicles and haven't changed the fluid yet, I would highly recommend it, especially if you're on the higher mileage side. I'm at 118K and I should have done this more than a year ago, at least..
Old 12-04-2019, 11:51 PM
vwbrd
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by dollarlongnecks
FWIW, many of the driveability issues I was having with my 2013 CD "post-fix" were greatly reduced after an ATF and filter change.

The shifting is MUCH smoother, and there is less jerkiness, if any, from a stop. I have yet to reproduce the whole "rolling stop" issue, so that seems improved as well.

The improvement is really unexpected, and definitely worth doing the job - so if you have one of these vehicles and haven't changed the fluid yet, I would highly recommend it, especially if you're on the higher mileage side. I'm at 118K and I should have done this more than a year ago, at least..
Could it also be that the weather’s cooler now? Or are you certain it was a definite before/after change under similar circumstances? I have 91k now and might think about doing mine.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:58 PM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vwbrd
Could it also be that the weather’s cooler now? Or are you certain it was a definite before/after change under similar circumstances? I have 91k now and might think about doing mine.
I am absolutely certain that the car drives better. I do notice the differences with weather, and have with several cars I've owned in the past, but this was an unexpected change in driveability caused by the fluid change...

I'm not saying that the fluid change "fixes" any of the issues caused by the emissions fix, and others may not get the same results that I did (as mine could have been "worse", so the relative change is more prominent) - but many of the items that have been bugging me with the driveability, have been nearly eliminated.

To be honest I'm extremely surprised... I can feel the difference after an oil change, but this was about 10x more of an improvement than that.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:32 PM
JRoach
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

This might have been covered in the 100's of pages in this thread but I use to reset the ECU "driving habits" on our MBZ wagon by pressing the gas pedal three times while in the ACC position. There is a similar process for the Cayenne:1. Put the key in the ignition - do not start the engine.

2. Within 10 seconds of #1 - depress the accelerator pedal all the way to the stop

3. With pedal depressed, remove the key

4. Release the accelerator pedal

5. Put the key back in the ignition (without starting the engine) within 5 minutes of #4. This is necessary to recalibrate the accelerator and the pedal potentiometer. Touch nothing at all.

6. Start the engine without touching the accelerator pedal (only step on the brake to allow starting.)

7. Try driving and see what the result is.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:56 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Seems like something is missing here. Putting the key in the ignition does trigger some things, but it doesn't apply power to the computer(s), so I don't see how sticking a key in the slot and pressing the accelerator is going to recalibrate anything.

What's your source for this?
Old 12-06-2019, 07:09 PM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

I've read something similar to what @JRoach posted in another thread, either on here or maybe 6speedonline... My understanding was that it did actually work to reset the adaptations that were "learned". There seemed to be many people that corroborated the claim.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:47 PM
JRoach
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

skiah

https://www.renntech.org/topic/40152...computer-gear/

For older Cayenne, not certain it applies to 958+. A new procedure?

Other cars we have owned have a similar reset.

Dollarlongneck, thanks and yes you are correct, adaptation only. They say you need a PWIS to reset the later models but I've seen so many hidden menus and tricks, who knows.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue