Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 05:11 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts

Take it to the dealer and start a case with PNA. I’m thinking something along the lines of Lemon Law based upon the fact it’s something completely new and you would have otherwise never purchased or dealt with this long had it not been for the fix. I’m going to look into further just for giggles as I have yet and intend to not yet do the fix.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:18 PM
billyg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sword_of_Spirit
Take it to the dealer and start a case with PNA. I’m thinking something along the lines of Lemon Law based upon the fact it’s something completely new and you would have otherwise never purchased or dealt with this long had it not been for the fix. I’m going to look into further just for giggles as I have yet and intend to not yet do the fix.
Just e-mailed the dealer to bring it back in. Actually started a lemon law case on my 1st Cayenne S 7 yers ago and boy oh boy did I get the royal treatment after being ignored for months! Kid glove treatment after I dropped that case.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:39 PM
perlfather
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Doesn't anybody have a torque map of the post fix engine? If this does not exist surely somebody can produce a pre and post torque and hp map from 1000 to 4600 RPM.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:16 PM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Anyone tow post-fix?
Is that still adequate, or is it like the base now - stuck in 2nd and screaming at 70?
Old 12-06-2017, 12:10 AM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts

I’ll try to get a dyno here in the next few months. I wonder though if the defeat code will mess with the base map that is used when it sits with the wheels pointed in the same direction.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:12 AM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan A
Anyone tow post-fix?
Is that still adequate, or is it like the base now - stuck in 2nd and screaming at 70?
yeah, one of the guys posted no change for him towing his race car
Old 12-06-2017, 12:32 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Got the word mine is done late yesterday. They're doing the full detail today, and looking into some small cosmetic items I pointed out (namely the luxor beige steering wheel has some odd wear marks at the top center - looks like dirt smudge but I think its the dye coming off... they said their detail guy will look at it, and also look into warranty-ing me a new wheel!)

So I'll pick it up tonight. Will see how it drives... definitely curious (anxious?) to experience the changes.

Enjoying the heated wheel of the loaner (mine has the Sport wheel so no buttons nor heat) and also rather like the big glass roof... but I am NOT enjoying this gasser V6!
Old 12-06-2017, 04:37 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

File this in the "for what it's worth" category. I've had my '13 CD back for a week now post fix and have about 250 miles, some highway and some city.

Pros:
  • Was treated very nicely by Porsche dealer and as far as I can tell they did a good job with the repair. No learning curve and all parts were available (the detailing was also well done).
  • Torque and HP seem to be the same. Acceleration seems to be the same too.
  • Fuel mileage seems to be the same in combined and highway sense. Cannot tell about city only yet.
  • Drivability when warm seems to be mostly unchanged, although I do notice some reluctance to upshift in auto mode (usually between 2nd-3rd and 5th-6th gears). Manual downshift for engine braking to be tested later when I drive in the hills and mountains.
  • Porsche/VW sent the 2nd half money fast - only 1 day wait.
Cons:
  • Cold start has more diesel clatter than before but does die down once warm. I just turn up the radio.
  • Transmission does not shift as smoothly as before (cold for sure, warm sometimes -- note: may be resolved as additional miles are logged and the transmission adapts to my style, we'll see).
  • At times when not at full operating temp, I have to manually upshift to smooth out the driving. The CD holds the gear (i.e. does not want to downshift so I assume torque and rpm are ok with transmission).
Current Conclusion (subject to future revisions)
  • While the CD is 90 - 95% of what it was pre-fix it is not identically the same vehicle post-fix. Most issues I have are when engine is not fully at operating temp (I don't recall any issues when cold in the pre-fix CD).
  • Given what I know now, I'd be inclined to postpone the emissions fix until later. But I would eventually get the fix done.
  • So far I can live with the end results.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:14 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Originally Posted by stronbl
File this in the "for what it's worth" category. I've had my '13 CD back for a week now post fix and have about 250 miles, some highway and some city.

Pros:
  • Was treated very nicely by Porsche dealer and as far as I can tell they did a good job with the repair. No learning curve and all parts were available (the detailing was also well done).
  • Fuel mileage seems to be the same in combined and highway sense. Cannot tell about city only yet.
  • Drivability when warm seems to be mostly unchanged, although I do notice some reluctance to upshift in auto mode (usually between 2nd-3rd and 5th-6th gears). Manual downshift for engine braking to be tested later when I drive in the hills and mountains.
Cons:
  • Cold start has more diesel clatter than before but does die down once warm. I just turn up the radio.
  • Transmission does not shift as smoothly as before (cold for sure, warm sometimes -- note: may be resolved as additional miles are logged and the transmission adapts to my style, we'll see).
  • At times when not at full operating temp, I have to manually upshift to smooth out the driving. The CD holds the gear (i.e. does not want to downshift so I assume torque and rpm are ok with transmission).
  • While the CD is 90 - 95% of what it was pre-fix it is not identically the same vehicle post-fix. Most issues I have are when engine is not fully at operating temp (I don't recall any issues when cold in the pre-fix CD).
  • Given what I know now, I'd be inclined to postpone the emissions fix until later. But I would eventually get the fix done.
I think you forgot to say that it whether or not it now drives like a Korean import.

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 12-06-2017 at 09:45 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:37 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Pros:
Cons:
If you tolerate the automatic holding at higher RPMs, rather than manually shifting, it'll smooth out sooner because the higher RPMs will warm the engine faster... that is the point, after all.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:42 PM
billyg
Advanced

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
I think you forgot to say that it now drives like a Korean import.
Always thought you were 1 of the smartest on this Board!
Old 12-06-2017, 09:50 PM
billyg
Advanced

Pros:
Cons:
Glad to hear your torque and HP are the same.Bringing back mine again next week for a round of BS. Hey, I’ve come to the conclusion that the Germans won this battle against little me. As they say, sh*t or get off the pot so after this Winter will most likely trade the beast in. My vehicle is no way close to driving like it did before the fix.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:20 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 80 Posts

Our two ('14 and '15) are being done now. My dealer, Porsche of San Antonio, was kind enough to provide me with a Macan GTS as a loaner .... great salesmanship. What a fun little vehicle but not a Cayenne. Last several days in this part of Texas has been our touch of winter. Temps in the 40's and wet. The Macan handles very well and is surefooted in this adverse and not normal stuff. I was surprised, and not impressed compared to the CD that the mileage was so low, getting only low to mid 20's on the highway in the almost 200 miles I've driven.

Wife likes the lower entry of the Maxan but the space for rear seat passengers and the luggage area of the Cayenne. Think the CD's are keepers unless the "fix" changes their personality
Old 12-07-2017, 09:16 AM
alterniTECH
Intermediate

Originally Posted by billyg
Nope, also have a new Benz GLS that blows this 1 away! Agree with my wife, it drives more like a Hyandai than the vehicles you mentioned. The vehicle now sucks!
How long have you owned a Hyundai, and how often did you drive that Hyundai? And what model Hyundai has a diesel?
Old 12-07-2017, 09:27 AM
alterniTECH
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Alan A
Anyone tow post-fix?
Go back a few pages and read. Looks like many have towed, and have indicated little to no difference.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue