Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 02:12 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by RomSL
Hey guys,

So, after driving a post-fix CD 2015 for a while I can tell that what we see in these cars is a typical strict smoke limiter behavior. I tuned TDIs in the past and this is exactly what happens when a smoke map is very aggressive - ECU will not inject the fuel until a solid boost is built up. This is especially noticeable in low gears. It’s not the transmission problem. A decent tune should fix this.
I am not an expert at all. The fix booklet does say about removing engine braking. Is that a function involving the transmission? Also, in ClubToaureg, there is an effort to tune the transmission by one of its members. The belief is that an engine tune and transmission tune should bring back close to the prefix behavior.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:48 PM
Rupert16
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

My Dealer replaced mine 2 months ago, I'm up in the Vancouver BC area.
Mine was apparently an updated version, that's when my issue with the Radiator Fan running continuously started. Whether or not your specific EGR; they want to install is the same series as mine time will tell.
I just spoke to Malone tuning this morning, they can't keep up with calls and emails from disgruntled owners. One even came out and mentioned his
Audi Q7's issues can't be fixed as described by his local Dealer, because VW don't know which way to turn with these unfolding problems!
Very disturbing.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:24 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

4 attempts.

Then we'll see....
Old 06-29-2018, 01:51 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Looks like there are some positive feedbacks from the TCM fix at club touareg. Since I am still happy with the way the fix is behaving, I won't be doing any changes. If you are unhappy with the way it is now, maybe take a chance and combine it with a ECU tune
Old 06-29-2018, 08:59 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
Looks like there are some positive feedbacks from the TCM fix at club touareg. Since I am still happy with the way the fix is behaving, I won't be doing any changes. If you are unhappy with the way it is now, maybe take a chance and combine it with a ECU tune
Link?
Old 06-29-2018, 09:20 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf

Link?
https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f...280754-14.html
Old 07-02-2018, 01:46 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I'm finding the newfound turbo lag to be, well, "interesting" on HOT and HUMID days. Upper 90s with heat indices in the 110 range this past weekend, + towing a trailer with the car on it to an autocross and I'm starting to "get the hang" of driving it.

Basically need a REALLY heavy foot for the first 1-2s. 85-90% throttle gets it to spool up, then time "rolling off" the pedal as the boost comes up.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:44 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Maybe not related but, given there are people talking about the radiator fan running all the time... I just picked up a CPO 14 CD. I haven't noticed if the rad fan runs all the time but, I have noticed my water temp sits a 200°F all the time, it doesn't move. I left work yesterday after the vehicle being parked for 10 hours, it read 200 on startup. The vehicle sat in my garage overnight for 12 hours, it read 200 on startup. I had a little bit of a fun run on some windy hilly country roads on my way to work, it read 200. Either this thing has the most amazing cooling system I've seen or this sensor seems to be in some type of default state.

I know BMW has recently started insulating some of their engines to hold heat for long periods (up to 36 hours), is that what I'm seeing here or is there something wrong?
Old 07-04-2018, 09:54 AM
RomSL
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It’s not a true temperature and it’s the way it’s designed.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:43 AM
Rupert16
Advanced

Hello,
It's my 14 CD that has the Radiator fan running from a cold start up, it's totally baffling my Dealer up here in the Vancouver BC area.
They replaced the EGR over 2 months ago and it's been back there more than I've had it to drive.
The latest was having a brand new ECU and the Electric Themostat sent from Porsche in Germany, but this still hasn't solved the problem.
I did drive it last weekend, it felt great to be in my Diesel again, then the Engine Check Light flashed it's Ugly Head once again!!
My personal feeling is it's a problem with the New updated EGR Valve and sensor, as the one Code is reading EGR Coolant Sensor problem.
That Sensor has been replaced twice now.
I guess one has to be patient, with all these sensors and emission related devices that can cause weird faults at times.
I'm holding faith that my vehicles issue will be resolved. I've driven some other brands and types lately, but they were all disappointing compared to
the mighty CD!
Old 07-04-2018, 10:46 AM
Rupert16
Advanced

Hello,
It's my 14 CD that has the Radiator fan running from a cold start up, it's totally baffling my Dealer up here in the Vancouver BC area.
They replaced the EGR over 2 months ago and it's been back there more than I've had it to drive.
The latest was having a brand new ECU and the Electric Themostat sent from Porsche in Germany, but this still hasn't solved the problem.
I did drive it last weekend, it felt great to be in my Diesel again, then the Engine Check Light flashed it's Ugly Head once again!!
My personal feeling is it's a problem with the New updated EGR Valve and sensor, as the one Code is reading EGR Coolant Sensor problem.
That Sensor has been replaced twice now.
I guess one has to be patient, with all these sensors and emission related devices that can cause weird faults at times.
I'm holding faith that my vehicles issue will be resolved. I've driven some other brands and types lately, but they were all disappointing compared to the mighty CD!
Old 07-04-2018, 10:49 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Originally Posted by RomSL
It’s not a true temperature and it’s the way it’s designed.

That's weird. Is everyone seeing this behavior and was it the same prior to the software relating to the fix? It seems pretty apparent it's not an accurate reading. Provided it is functioning as intended, why wouldn't the dash display a reasonably accurate even if filtered or averaged water temperature like it does with oil? I would hope the engine controller is reading an accurate WT and is adjusting the tuning based on that and not just running as if the engine is at operating temp all the time.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:06 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by hotrod2448
Maybe not related but, given there are people talking about the radiator fan running all the time... I just picked up a CPO 14 CD. I haven't noticed if the rad fan runs all the time but, I have noticed my water temp sits a 200°F all the time, it doesn't move. I left work yesterday after the vehicle being parked for 10 hours, it read 200 on startup. The vehicle sat in my garage overnight for 12 hours, it read 200 on startup. I had a little bit of a fun run on some windy hilly country roads on my way to work, it read 200. Either this thing has the most amazing cooling system I've seen or this sensor seems to be in some type of default state.

I know BMW has recently started insulating some of their engines to hold heat for long periods (up to 36 hours), is that what I'm seeing here or is there something wrong?
No, that's not right. Neither our '14 or '15 do this. They start at ambient (after they've not been run for a while, of course) and climb to 200, typically. The water temp gets there pretty quickly and the oil temp takes longer to come up to temp. It does seem like the water temp comes up quicker since the fix, though. That would be in keeping with the higher revs and all to get things warmed up.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:38 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

I agree with Skiahh. Hotrod, you may have a malfunctioning water temperature display. Time to take it to the dealer
Old 07-04-2018, 02:18 PM
hotrod2448
Pro

Well, maybe I'm just an idiot. I started it for lunch and it read 127°F. I swear it's the first time I've seen anything other than 200 on that gauge. Haha
I think I've gotten used to only seeing oil temp in my M3 and I know water comes to temp significantly quicker but, I guess I underestimated how much quicker. Typically I look at it within the first mile of driving and every time it's been up to 200°.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue