Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 08:34 PM
pocotaligo
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read a case filed in Maryland or Virginia, there were 7 versions of the software, worked on for close to ten years. Porsche's head of electrical, Claude something, was involved from version 5 to present and had over 3 years of input. For Porsche to claim it didn't know, well, the jury is out on that. Not happy about having to split $ with former owner, would like to keep it stock, but, if I have a dealer issue, they have to apply the fix. I don't want them to touch it, if it ruins the present performance, so my warranty is worthless. I turn the wrenches on it anyway, but a major component ? How much more value will the car have if it is unmolested, like an original 911 ? Kinda want my cake and eat it too, lots of questions, guess I have to make decision by the April 11th. Anyone else opting out?
Old 03-28-2017, 08:52 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

got an email with this attachment today https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en...t%20Notice.pdf

looks like the oil change and adblue arent' for everyone, Additional benefits to Class Members with Generation One vehicles, and to Class Members with any
Generation Two vehicles for which an Emissions Compliant Repair does not timely become available,
include (1) a free AdBlue refill and free oil change while waiting for the emissions modification to be
performed on their vehicle or for the Buyback/Trade-In to be completed,
Old 03-31-2017, 11:02 AM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default VW cleared by EPA to sell repaired 2015 diesels

Here's a link to the story ...
http://www.autonews.com/article/2017...d-2015-diesels

"Volkswagen AG will soon do what's been impossible since its emissions crisis began: sell diesel-powered cars in the U.S.

The company received approval from the EPA for dealers to sell 2015 model year diesels after updating the vehicles' emissions software, VW Group of America spokeswoman Jeannine Ginivan said.

The software update is part of a required emissions repair approved by the EPA and California Air Resources Board. The repair will also include changes to diesel engine hardware, but dealers do not have to wait until the repair parts become available early next year, Ginivan said.
"We are still finalizing the details of this program and will provide more information on its implementation at the appropriate time," Ginivan said in a statement.

Volkswagen admitted in 2015 to rigging nearly 500,000 diesel cars to pass U.S. emissions tests. The company froze sales of new and certified used diesels in the U.S. while it worked with regulators on an approved fix.

The company has set aside $24 billion (22.6 billion euros) to cover costs and fines related to the scandal.

Significant milestone

Reviving diesel sales marks a significant milestone in VW's efforts to recover from the scandal and rebuild its relationship with environmental regulators. It also returns a key product to dealer showrooms that attracted a cult-like customer base and accounted for about 20 percent of the VW brand's pre-scandal sales.

Yet it's a mostly symbolic step. The sales approval only applies to about 67,000 diesels from the 2015 model, about 12,000 of which are currently in dealer inventory, Ginivan said.

An EPA spokeswoman didn't immediately return messages seeking comment.

Volkswagen has also said no new diesel models will be offered in the U.S. at least through model year 2018. The company is moving aggressively toward electric vehicles, signaling a diminishing role for diesel engines in the company's portfolio, especially in the U.S.

The program will also eventually include used 2015 diesels the company has repurchased from owners through the 2016 settlement with U.S. regulators and owners, she said. Some customers have elected to keep their cars and receive restitution and an emissions repair under the terms of its $10 billion buyback."
Old 03-31-2017, 02:40 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

^^^ Predictable. Although it is about 2.0 engines with adblue, I always expected that this will happen to the 3.0 tdi. I always questioned why have that convoluted settlement plus our "fix" bribery money. Why? Because the regulators got their $$$$. You bet both CARB and EPA will approve whatever "fix" VW proposes. So, either you opt out of the class or accept the "fix" bribery money and hope VW does not screw up too much on "drivability." --- Or just accept half the "fix" bribery money and try to classify your CD as farm equipment.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:38 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 825 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
^^^ Predictable. Although it is about 2.0 engines with adblue, I always expected that this will happen to the 3.0 tdi. I always questioned why have that convoluted settlement plus our "fix" bribery money. Why? Because the regulators got their $$$$. You bet both CARB and EPA will approve whatever "fix" VW proposes. So, either you opt out of the class or accept the "fix" bribery money and hope VW does not screw up too much on "drivability." --- Or just accept half the "fix" bribery money and try to classify your CD as farm equipment.
Yeah just saw this one...huh? Thought EPA says they are bad for you and the US. Now some of them aren't and they can sell them? Confused...

http://autoweek.com/article/vw-diese...n=awdailydrive
Old 04-01-2017, 02:13 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,797 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Never received anything from Bosch....
Got the updated email on the latest settlement info.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:43 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I got a post card from Bosch 2 weeks ago
Old 04-02-2017, 04:34 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
A separate registration with Bosh is not required if you are a current owner and have already registered with the VW settlement website, right?

Reading from the Bosh settlement website, only a former 3.0 tdi owner needs to separately register with Bosh.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:52 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
A separate registration with Bosh is not required if you are a current owner and have already registered with the VW settlement website, right?

Reading from the Bosh settlement website, only a former 3.0 tdi owner needs to separately register with Bosh.
Correct.

They do send separate notification out, but if you have registered on the VW site, you are good.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:49 PM
JRoach
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

How often do Diesels get smog checked?
We just received our registration on the MY CD and a smog check is required.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:51 PM
JRoach
Racer

amended... to add the year 2015

How often do Diesels get smog checked?
We just received our registration on our MY15 and a smog check is required.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:16 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I think it depends on your state. In VA emissions/smog is required to register the vehicle which is every 2 years. Same for gas and diesel.

Edit: Of course the "emissions" check here is simply plugging up to the ODB-II port and making sure the computer says all is good.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:40 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
I think it depends on your state. In VA emissions/smog is required to register the vehicle which is every 2 years. Same for gas and diesel.

Edit: Of course the "emissions" check here is simply plugging up to the ODB-II port and making sure the computer says all is good.
CDs should pass emissions tests with current procedures with flying colors. At some point, they may require documentation the fix was implemented.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:16 PM
Mallens
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.autonews.com/article/2017...d-2015-diesels

Hopefully this isn't the case. How did they ever get EPA approval without testing the fix? Can't see how they were able to do any thorough testing in such a short time period.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:07 PM
JRoach
Racer

GNAT, that is true in California for a car after the first smog test.

I found the following from the California.gov website:

Owners of vehicles six or less model years old will pay an annual smog abatement fee for the first six registration years instead of being required to provide a biennial smog certification.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/smogfaq

What I received was an actual requirement for a physical smog test.

I wonder if this is a change for all diesels, just Porsches or am I missing something.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue