Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 04:35 PM
AndrewWK
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
TCU? Just transmission programming only?
Yes, transmission only. The engine remap has been available for quite awhile.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:38 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewWK

Yes, transmission only. The engine remap has been available for quite awhile.
Ah, never heard of them. Any experience?
Old 06-04-2018, 01:00 AM
AndrewWK
Instructor

Ah, never heard of them. Any experience?
There are several threads on the forum about the tune. All highly recommend the the remap. Malone lists output as 305bhp/490lb-ft.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:11 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Malone is popular with the Touareg guys. I thought the transmission software was untouchable. But if Malone can do it, the better.

There has been a debate between what Malone does and what Bluespark does. Most here prefer Bluespark because it is a box and reversible. With Malone, you are actually changing the actual map.

I find it interesting that Touareg guys seem to go with Malone while CD guys like Bluespark. At this time, I would go with whoever makes the CD back to what it used to be. We know that both engine and transmission software were changed. So, if Malone can also fix the transmission, i would consider it.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:07 AM
AndrewWK
Instructor

Originally Posted by visitador
Malone is popular with the Touareg guys. I thought the transmission software was untouchable. But if Malone can do it, the better.

There has been a debate between what Malone does and what Bluespark does. Most here prefer Bluespark because it is a box and reversible. With Malone, you are actually changing the actual map.

I find it interesting that Touareg guys seem to go with Malone while CD guys like Bluespark. At this time, I would go with whoever makes the CD back to what it used to be. We know that both engine and transmission software were changed. So, if Malone can also fix the transmission, i would consider it.
Malone kind of quietly started offering remaps for the CD, while Bluespark had a very vocal advocate on several Porsche forums, although he has gone dark for some time now. Malone works great on both pre and post fix diesels and you can flash back to stock if needed. Bluespark has a supposedly updated box that might not detonate on a post-fix CD, but results seem mixed. Only takes one instance and you have permanently reduced the life of your engine.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:23 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

^^^ Andrew, keep us informed on the Malone mapping. I have been out of town, so I don't have experiences to report, but based on what some members say, it seems the lag starts showing up after some driving. If that is the case, a Malone remap of engine and transmission would be nice, specially since you said it is reversible. That would be the best outcome
Old 06-04-2018, 07:33 AM
AndrewWK
Instructor

^^^ Andrew, keep us informed on the Malone mapping. I have been out of town, so I don't have experiences to report, but based on what some members say, it seems the lag starts showing up after some driving. If that is the case, a Malone remap of engine and transmission would be nice, specially since you said it is reversible. That would be the best outcome
Will do, the Malone is a big improvement over stock, but the post-fix transmission lag is still there in certain conditions, although a bit more tolerable. If anyone reading this has a pre-fix car, please send me a PM.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:18 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 349 Posts

Would be very interested in the Malone TCU tune.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:57 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AndrewWK
There are several threads on the forum about the tune. All highly recommend the the remap. Malone lists output as 305bhp/490lb-ft.
Thanks. To be honest mostly been paying attention to the diesel thread and little else.

By my reading, Malone is reversible too. Bluespark is a piggyback, yo reverse you just pull the unit. Easier but I like maps better.

Thanks for the heads up. Will not derail the thread further.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:08 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
Would be very interested in the Malone TCU tune.
Wonder how it drives with just a Malone TCU map and VW post fix ECU tune.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:10 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

By my reading, Malone is reversible too.
But logs count of how many times ECU map has been changed.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:26 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chsu74
But logs count of how many times ECU map has been changed.
Yes, it would. But not going to get into that debate. He simply said it wasn't reversible.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:44 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

To me, the CD is too expensive to live with without a warranty. Even if it's highly, highly unlikely that PCNA would ever find out that my flash count doesn't match, that it has a tune in it, etc. I just do not want that risk.

Others are cool with it - and you get zero judgment from me, honest.

Having been traumatized in the past with warranty issues on modified cars (mostly GM's).... I now no longer mod anything that isn't easily reversible (and 100% undetectable when reversed) when it's still under warranty. I have a good relationship with my service team too, and would never expect them to "rat me out" but it's ultimately PCNA that will catch it.

If I still had my 2014, which would have been almost out of warranty today.... I'd probably consider a Malone setup, as it seems to get excellent reviews. Especially with an accompanying TCU tune.

But my 2015 has a long way to go.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:25 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 349 Posts

Yes, there is a risk that they could read the flash counter and know something got flashed. They wouldn't know what however. They'd really want to screw you to take a stand on it. That being said, it's a personal decision. I tend to agree with you, warranty coverage is nice and it's hard to swallow doing something that could potentially impact it...
Old 06-05-2018, 11:57 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
Yes, there is a risk that they could read the flash counter and know something got flashed. They wouldn't know what however. They'd really want to screw you to take a stand on it. That being said, it's a personal decision. I tend to agree with you, warranty coverage is nice and it's hard to swallow doing something that could potentially impact it...
Yep. I admit I am overly conservative. Too many bad memories.

And don’t kid yourself... the mfr reads forums, and can usually put 2+2 together when it comes to matching screen names to cars.

I used to work for Navistar, on the Ford Powerstroke program. My dad is still there and I have friends still there.

They all read the forums, and when they get wind of unusual warranty claims, they read. Trust me in that.

We tend to think of mfr’s as a sort of large inhuman borg... but behind the scenes, there are smart engineers.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue