Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 03:29 PM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

My DPF was replaced 2500 miles after the fix. The P/N of the new DPF was 958-113-023-EX as you listed.
The following users liked this post:
RS-America (08-16-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 08:47 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great install Murray, thanks for sharing I will do the the same. Did you use the compression inserts with the fan housing? If so, how deep did you drill and how did you find proper spots in the housing to place the inserts?
Thanks.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:59 PM
6Cents
AutoX

Here is an interesting article regarding the dieselgate fix and new information on how the fix contains another cheat. I have not fully vetted this but it might offer a clue as to why the CD tends to perform better in the winter. https://www.teslarati.com/volkswagen...-cheat-device/
Old 08-19-2019, 08:02 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 6Cents
Here is an interesting article regarding the dieselgate fix and new information on how the fix contains another cheat. I have not fully vetted this but it might offer a clue as to why the CD tends to perform better in the winter. https://www.teslarati.com/volkswagen...-cheat-device/

Holy sh*t.... dude that is WAY more than just an "interesting" article...

Quote from the article (emphasis mine):
According to the findings of the Düsseldorf district court, Volkswagen’s Dieselgate software fix was intended to ensure that the emissions of vehicles affected by the scandal were appropriately controlled. Unfortunately, it turned out that the exhaust gas cleaning system in the update only worked at outside temperatures between 10-32 degrees Celsius. In the event that the weather falls below or above this range, the cleaning remains disabled, allowing the affected vehicles to overly-pollute as before.

Is it buyback time?

Last edited by User 52121; 08-19-2019 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:43 PM
6Cents
AutoX

I felt the article was a little vague and did not provide detail regarding if all cars fixed were affected. Based on the comments at the end of the article, the source of this news is a German language financial publication. I am still trying to track down the original and I will see if Google can translate.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:06 PM
6Cents
AutoX

Here is another article but Google does not translate it well. https://www.wallstreet-online.de/nac...te-manipuliert

I am sure this news will start to trickle out.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:26 AM
6Cents
AutoX

This apparently is the court ruling. https://translate.google.com/transla...00262,15700265
I am not sure yet if it really applies to CD owners. I am not a lawyer and I would rather get a tooth pulled than read this sort of thing.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:54 AM
CayenneBlack
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 50 Posts

Come onnn buy back!
Old 08-25-2019, 12:57 PM
Rupert16
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Mann ProVent 200

Thx Kevin,

Yes I did use the compression inserts in the Fan housing.
You have to be careful when drilling back towards radiator, you can guess what might happen.
Best solution cut off a short piece of round dowel, drill a hole through the centre then have the drill bit protrude just enough to go through the plastic housing, say a centimetre.
Oh yes drill in small increments to you reach the appropriate size, I used metric inserts.

Originally Posted by 9931996
Great install Murray, thanks for sharing I will do the the same. Did you use the compression inserts with the fan housing? If so, how deep did you drill and how did you find proper spots in the housing to place the inserts?
Thanks.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:28 PM
RS-America
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts

Interesting - very interesting :

From the NY Times: - Piled Up in Huge Lots, Volkswagen’s Reworked Diesels Trickle to Buyers
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/22/b...i-resales.html
Cheating Volkswagen Diesels Have Become A Hot Commodity
https://jalopnik.com/cheating-volksw...ity-1837505697
Old 08-27-2019, 02:18 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by RS-America
Interesting - very interesting :

From the NY Times: - Piled Up in Huge Lots, Volkswagen’s Reworked Diesels Trickle to Buyers
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/22/b...i-resales.html
Cheating Volkswagen Diesels Have Become A Hot Commodity
https://jalopnik.com/cheating-volksw...ity-1837505697

I am not surprised, judging from the enthusiasm in this forum for new or CPO CDs once the sales embargo was lifted
Old 08-29-2019, 12:51 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Just spent the day with a 2019 Cayenne base as a service loaner.

Initial impressions: I liked it. The turbo motor in the 2019 base is a HUGE step up over the previous 3.6L motor in the 958. Very smooth. After driving it a bit I felt it was pretty torquey... and the top end performance is nice. I started thinking to myself that, if I had to give up my Diesel, I could probably live with the new base model with the turbo 6 (vs. spending the money to get into an S.)

Then I started wondering... well... new Cayennes are pretty big money optioned out how I'd want it (Premium Plus, Burmester, etc. like my current CD).... would I prefer that over, say, an EGR delete + tune on my current CD?

Picked up my CD this morning after driving the loaner back to the dealer.... and... yeah... I think a tuned CD would still be my preference. It was cool out this morning (low 60s) and the CD felt great.

Might have to do something this winter or maybe next spring with Malone.
Old 08-29-2019, 02:13 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacked 987
Just spent the day with a 2019 Cayenne base as a service loaner.

Initial impressions: I liked it. The turbo motor in the 2019 base is a HUGE step up over the previous 3.6L motor in the 958. Very smooth. After driving it a bit I felt it was pretty torquey... and the top end performance is nice. I started thinking to myself that, if I had to give up my Diesel, I could probably live with the new base model with the turbo 6 (vs. spending the money to get into an S.)

Then I started wondering... well... new Cayennes are pretty big money optioned out how I'd want it (Premium Plus, Burmester, etc. like my current CD).... would I prefer that over, say, an EGR delete + tune on my current CD?

Picked up my CD this morning after driving the loaner back to the dealer.... and... yeah... I think a tuned CD would still be my preference. It was cool out this morning (low 60s) and the CD felt great.

Might have to do something this winter or maybe next spring with Malone.
My thoughts are similar. I've optioned up a new base to almost identically to what I have in my CD and it's about $5k more. If I throw in some of the nice new gizmos and gadgets that have come out since then, thus making it not apples to apples, now I'm in the low $90k range! For a BASE Cayenne! And while there are many things I like (styling, room inside, dash layout) there are things I don't (handling on steel springs, the functionality of that huge screen isn't great). I've had two for loaners, one for nearly a week since it included the weekend, and I am not really tempted to jump into a new one any time soon.

Just wish I didn't have the lag. I even don't mind the slight drop in fuel economy.
The following users liked this post:
alterniTECH (10-26-2019)
Old 08-29-2019, 04:45 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
My thoughts are similar. I've optioned up a new base to almost identically to what I have in my CD and it's about $5k more. If I throw in some of the nice new gizmos and gadgets that have come out since then, thus making it not apples to apples, now I'm in the low $90k range! For a BASE Cayenne! And while there are many things I like (styling, room inside, dash layout) there are things I don't (handling on steel springs, the functionality of that huge screen isn't great). I've had two for loaners, one for nearly a week since it included the weekend, and I am not really tempted to jump into a new one any time soon.

Just wish I didn't have the lag. I even don't mind the slight drop in fuel economy.
Ya for fun I optioned out a Cayenne S and it came out to ~$118k.

I wouldn't be surprised if I did the same on a Base that I'd get to $90k easy.

Sticker on my CD was $83k IIRC.... so I guess, technically, the new Base isn't THAT much more especially given 4 years of "advances" (if you call them that.)

And I agree about the lag and the fuel economy. I put a little over 100 miles on the loaner and averaged not quite 26mpg. Over the same stretch I'm around 33-34 in the CD (all according to the car's computer) so it wasn't horrible.

The lag in the CD when it's warm out is just SO BAD. It's in the mid-80s now and humid so I'm sure it's gonna be bad on the drive home.

Pre-fix it would have been "no contest", I'd keep the CD and not even consider a new base.... which is why I think that a tune + delete would probably keep me happy for a long time. Do I want to risk potential warranty loss tho?
Old 09-02-2019, 05:55 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Anyone know anything about this suit and whether if affects CDs?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...ent/ar-AAGEPTx

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue