Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 12:04 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
The question was what can be done. Taking it back to the dealer won t work because it is what it is. There is no incentive on the EPA, CARB or our attorneys to push VW to retry. The only thing left is the 85%
I think there's a provision where you can give back the $$ you got and opt out. Then you could initiate your own suit and take your chances.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:48 PM
dcastar
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Guys -- Status update...
Dealer asked me to bring the car back this morning. Of course, driving it back over there, in the 7 miles, it drove absolutely perfect... and in the manner I would hope the car would drive.
Upon reaching the dealer, we went on a test ride with the technician, and it hesitated a couple times at low speeds. Not as strongly as the ride home yesterday (as described in my previous post).

Basically -- they're saying the car needs to have 200-300 miles to "re-learn" with the new sensors installed as part of the fix.

Additionally, I'm curious if the clatter-hesitation issue is ambient/outside air-temperature related. Yesterday, while it was exhibiting the clatter-hesitation, it was in the mid 40F range... whereas today, it's 52F and rainy. Time will tell, I have a 400mi roundtrip drive into NH this weekend, and temps are expected to be in the low 20F range. Will report back in a few days.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:25 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Thanks for the report dcastar.

Someone previously reported that his dealer kept the engine running while they were doing the paperwork. It is obvious now. They want to minimize the cold engine behavior
Old 11-22-2017, 02:08 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
Thanks for the report dcastar.

Someone previously reported that his dealer kept the engine running while they were doing the paperwork. It is obvious now. They want to minimize the cold engine behavior
Yup, the 2013-2014 has hardware, making the need for time for the engine to get used to the changes to take effect.

Now we know why Porsche will give us loaners and then deliver our trucks back to us. It is all starting to make sense.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:09 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

I don't know about you, but my dealer ALWAYS provides a loaner. From simple oil change to the most complex repair, so I don't think that's any indicator.

Getting the vehicle (not a truck!) warmed up does smack of "look over here, not there" approach to acceptance, though.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:11 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by skiahh
I don't know about you, but my dealer ALWAYS provides a loaner. From simple oil change to the most complex repair, so I don't think that's any indicator.

Getting the vehicle (not a truck!) warmed up does smack of "look over here, not there" approach to acceptance, though.
Sure, a loaner is a given, but since when do they offer or, in this case, INSIST that they deliver our trucks back to us? This is our lucky time. They even clean and fill up the tank.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:16 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Been out of the country the last 3 weeks but enjoyed reading from everyone on their experiences with the fix. I am supposed to go in on Monday, Nov 27 but dealer says they don't have the stickers so may have to delay. I might call another dealer in Houston or wait until December when I'm back in CA. Once fixed I'll add my observations as well.

A couple things from reading the notes - 1) if you remember when posting your results if you could include MY so we can calibrate who has the early CD's versus later ones, may be helpful in knowing how each of us stack up versus the general consensus. 2) it would be interesting to post an initial reaction and another reaction a few hundred miles later, that way we'd have a point of view after the transmission has re-adapted to each of our driving style. As an aside - when I had my engine replaced a few years ago, I noticed a different "feel" at first (not what I was expecting), but then after a few hundred miles and to this day, it is back to how it had always behaved.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:47 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Can someone give me the summary of what benefits someone would get if they went to a used car dealer or a private party and bought one today. My Sales Manager says no one should be getting any money at that point before or after they come in to get the fix. I thought I read some were. Please no grouching at me for not going back and trying to figure it all out.

On a side note my dealer wants to buy my Diesel, I was going to list it for $45k. It has 27700 miles and the fix and is always garaged. It is a 2014 base addition It is beautiful and he knows it because he knows how I treat my cars. He is willing to get me into a 2008 Cayenne GTS from another dealer so it works out for both of us. I'm thinking I could drop the price some for him because it makes the whole transaction smooth. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:58 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Originally Posted by Guards Red Car
What can we do if the "Fix" is unacceptable? Do we have any leverage? We've researched our purchase, test drove the CD, asked ourselves and our families if the Diesel engine sounds were palatable, we carefully contemplated the service schedule (AdBlue fillups, etc.) - and, now, we're NOT driving the "same car" we originally purchased!

Yes, they threw us some $$ - However, the "Fix" legalese stated that we would not suffer any performance damages...Who do they think they're kidding??!! This community of Porschephiles is the MOST meticulous and performance oriented group of perfectionists! You cannot steal performance and neuter our pride an joy and go unnoticed!!

There is No Substitute... for delivering your customer base the exact machine your factory originally built for us - not some lobotomized, detuned and fettered shell of its' former self!

Does Porsche USA read these posts? Do they care?
Complain to customer relations at PCNA.

I would not use the approach above. They'll likely tell you to go pound. Be a bit more rational and less emotional about it.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:59 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skiahh

Exactly. It's not like if there's that big a difference you won't figure it out the next morning.

Originally Posted by BenCD
Sure, a loaner is a given, but since when do they offer or, in this case, INSIST that they deliver our trucks back to us? This is our lucky time. They even clean and fill up the tank.
That was one dealer. Has not been mentioned again nor did my dealer indicate that would be part of the deal (the driving back). As for the clean, my dealer always cleans unless I tell him not to, and the fill up the tank is a goodwill thing.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:01 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stronbl
Been out of the country the last 3 weeks but enjoyed reading from everyone on their experiences with the fix. I am supposed to go in on Monday, Nov 27 but dealer says they don't have the stickers so may have to delay. I might call another dealer in Houston or wait until December when I'm back in CA. Once fixed I'll add my observations as well.

A couple things from reading the notes - 1) if you remember when posting your results if you could include MY so we can calibrate who has the early CD's versus later ones, may be helpful in knowing how each of us stack up versus the general consensus. 2) it would be interesting to post an initial reaction and another reaction a few hundred miles later, that way we'd have a point of view after the transmission has re-adapted to each of our driving style. As an aside - when I had my engine replaced a few years ago, I noticed a different "feel" at first (not what I was expecting), but then after a few hundred miles and to this day, it is back to how it had always behaved.
Which dealer are you going to?
Old 11-22-2017, 04:12 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Exactly. It's not like if there's that big a difference you won't figure it out the next morning.

That was one dealer. Has not been mentioned again nor did my dealer indicate that would be part of the deal (the driving back). As for the clean, my dealer always cleans unless I tell him not to, and the fill up the tank is a goodwill thing.
The loaner. The delivery of the truck back to the owner. The cleaning and the fuel tank is spelled out in the brochure both online and that was sent to all the Porsche owners.

VW Touareg owners get the loaner but not the offer to clean, or deliver the vehicle. They are topped up with the DEF/AdBlue though and are eligible to have it filled for free for the entire time the owner owns the vehicle.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:36 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BenCD
The loaner. The delivery of the truck back to the owner. The cleaning and the fuel tank is spelled out in the brochure both online and that was sent to all the Porsche owners.

VW Touareg owners get the loaner but not the offer to clean, or deliver the vehicle. They are topped up with the DEF/AdBlue though and are eligible to have it filled for free for the entire time the owner owns the vehicle.
not understanding your point. I didn't recall the offer of redelivery, but otherwise all above is what I get when I bring in my car to the dealer, with the exception of the tank of fuel.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:11 PM
bryanwares
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhipE350
Can someone give me the summary of what benefits someone would get if they went to a used car dealer or a private party and bought one today. My Sales Manager says no one should be getting any money at that point before or after they come in to get the fix. I thought I read some were. Please no grouching at me for not going back and trying to figure it all out.

On a side note my dealer wants to buy my Diesel, I was going to list it for $45k. It has 27700 miles and the fix and is always garaged. It is a 2014 base addition It is beautiful and he knows it because he knows how I treat my cars. He is willing to get me into a 2008 Cayenne GTS from another dealer so it works out for both of us. I'm thinking I could drop the price some for him because it makes the whole transaction smooth. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
1) No more 1/2 payments before the ECR fix . Rule changed after ECR fix approval on 10/26/2017.
2) No money for already fixed CDs even if new (2016 unsold CDs sitting on lot!). You will have to register and claim $$ before taking CD to fix with a claim number. Only after dealer completes paperwork, payment gets triggered.

3) When I purchased and registered on VW claim site, it showed full amount and only after full audit is completed, they told me previous owner has already claimed the first 1/2 and I would be eligible for remaining 1/2 to be paid after ECR fix. No Bosch $$ either as they have already paid full amount to first owner without needing fix.
4) Lookup site is taking time to update the status of fixing. If you are buying that has been just fixed, it would take couple of days for the site to be updated.
5) I would think if you can find unfixed CD (not neutered), you can get 1/2 the claim from VW around $4600 after the fix.
6) Warranty, extended warranty stays on.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:28 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

OK, now that cars are starting to get fixed, how do you price a used, fixed CD? Is there an adjustment for a tainted vehicle? For it being fixed? And for not getting any of the settlement money?

Or is it just a "normal" used car at this point? Not counting the new, unsold units here. But still a valid question for them, too... how much of a discount off of MSRP should those take, given a 2 or 3 year old vehicle?

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue