Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 08:42 AM
dph928
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinCase
I mis-stated -- I did steal the small black material from the top of the new mic just like you did. My wife told me it was very clear and not muffled, just a little subdued. I need to flip places with my wife and listen to it myself.
Ah great, glad it helped then :-)
Edinburgh is a great place, with lots going on. I’m back in England now. I miss Edinburgh, but it’s much warmer here!

Last edited by dph928; 01-23-2023 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-23-2023, 09:20 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 81 Posts

Haven't posted here in a long time, am a Pelican by origin, but clearly Rennlist is way more active for Ze Wasserpumpers..

I installed the PCCM+ 2 weeks ago and am very happy with the result.
Could not find the full instructions, and various forums all seemed to mention writing an instruction but then forgetting to do so..
So I have written one, its on Pelicanparts.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/boxst...ion-steps.html

The internal mike seems good enough, external mike is not better while driving theres just to much cabin noise, its not a modern comfort quiet cabin, I don't really care..
if the call is important i'll pull over, safer anyway.

Satelite antenna, don't bother snaking the wire.. just magnetic plop the antenna next to hte most adapter, works just fine for me..

Open for suggestions if anything needs to be added or updated.

All in all, Very happy with the PCCM+
the Android/iphone not working wireless gripes mentioned by some : I kinda get it, but then again I don't use either. I prefer the built in SatNav, since well that always works with the car, even if my phone is dead, or lost or i'm in an area without cellular.
For long drives, plug in is no issue since that also charges.
Most of the time theres a sandisk cruzer (smallest stick i could find) plugged in with MP3 music.
a rearward cable option would be slightly better but its easy to change my usb stick, so thats not bad for me

non issue :
the DRL , door opener settings do nothing for my 2007 987C
Not sure if this is normal for 987C and those settings are 997 only.. No idea.. it does detect 9x7 on canbus, and my trip computer works.

I don't think its a big deal since my opener settings need not change behavior, and DRL, i suspect is front lights only which is not good, i want rears as well, so ON on the light switch remains a must...
I am curious however if anybody else got those settings working on his DIY install??? on 997 or 987.. perhaps the dealer needs to PIWIS something to get those to work?

minor gripe: the SD card sticks out.. that's just silly ,they should have provided a cap or something to close that off after install.

Its not cheap, but well worth it, nothing else looks right compared to PCM2.1 or PCCM+
The bigger screens on other units, actually I don't like the look, this one is 7 inch and is plenty.. keeps the layout looking stock
and doesn't distract me as much while driving.

minor gripe : some of the menu behaviors
When playing MP3 with album art, i'de prefer a bigger album art shown..
Also not entirely in the loop with how the MP3 player selects tracks over various different folders, but perhaps I should RTFM a bit, might be something I'm not doing right.

Last edited by svandamme; 01-23-2023 at 09:24 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by svandamme:
Bavarian 997 (01-23-2023), kimchee411 (01-24-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 09:43 AM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by svandamme
minor gripe : some of the menu behaviors
When playing MP3 with album art, i'de prefer a bigger album art shown..
Also not entirely in the loop with how the MP3 player selects tracks over various different folders, but perhaps I should RTFM a bit, might be something I'm not doing right.
Thanks for the documentation!

There are definitely problems with USB thumb drives. The one I use in my truck and my wife's Macan has every CD we own on it, and it works fine on those vehicles. The PCCM+ does not even recognize it as a USB drive.

Thinking it is perhaps a PCCM+ memory capacity problem, I created a new USB thumb drive with a *single* album on it. No va. The PCCM+ *did* recognize there was a drive inserted but could not find the data. Next, I created a drive with a *single* song on the root directory (i.e., no folders). The PCCM+ recognized the drive and started playing the song immediately. I then added all the rest of the songs for that album on the root directory of the thumb drive, and they all worked as expected (no album art, though).

It appears the PCCM+ does not recognize directories (i.e., albums) or anything in them. Piling the songs from every album I own in the root directory seems impossible to manage. Must I have a thumb drive for *each* album I own? This system seems more complicated than the 6 CD changer ever was.

Maybe there's a trick I have not uncovered yet?
Old 01-23-2023, 10:28 AM
babylonboots
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

It could be the way the drive is formatted. You may try to format it as something different. (exFAT or NTFS, depending which is default on your system). Let us know which works!
The following users liked this post:
myw (01-23-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 10:57 AM
Carfan1
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by svandamme
Haven't posted here in a long time, am a Pelican by origin, but clearly Rennlist is way more active for Ze Wasserpumpers..

I installed the PCCM+ 2 weeks ago and am very happy with the result.
Could not find the full instructions, and various forums all seemed to mention writing an instruction but then forgetting to do so..
So I have written one, its on Pelicanparts.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/boxst...ion-steps.html

The internal mike seems good enough, external mike is not better while driving theres just to much cabin noise, its not a modern comfort quiet cabin, I don't really care..
if the call is important i'll pull over, safer anyway.

Satelite antenna, don't bother snaking the wire.. just magnetic plop the antenna next to hte most adapter, works just fine for me..

Open for suggestions if anything needs to be added or updated.

non issue :
the DRL , door opener settings do nothing for my 2007 987C
Not sure if this is normal for 987C and those settings are 997 only.. No idea.. it does detect 9x7 on canbus, and my trip computer works.

I don't think its a big deal since my opener settings need not change behavior, and DRL, i suspect is front lights only which is not good, i want rears as well, so ON on the light switch remains a must...
I am curious however if anybody else got those settings working on his DIY install??? on 997 or 987.. perhaps the dealer needs to PIWIS something to get those to work?

The installer placed a new SiriusXM unit and took out my existing one. They promised to transfer my account, but they didn't. So I'll have to find some time to do it. I bought a lifetime package when I got my Porsche back in 2008 which means finding my documentation will be a nightmare. I wish that they had at least taken a pic of the old signal number so that I could do the transfer quickly by pulling that number up.

On my 987 the door lock settings allow me to decide to unlock both doors or only the driver door with one push of unlock. It allows me to set automatic locking after driving off or with the start key. The DRL setting activates the fog-lights during the day (none of the other lights). I've wanted this option for some time and in fact ordered a foglight kit with DRLs built in just for this purpose.
Old 01-23-2023, 11:43 AM
benessere
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. The installer tried multiple time and after reading your post, I tried to carefully push in the SD card until it clicked. I'm planning to try a system reboot based on a reply by @G.I.G. .

jnb
Old 01-23-2023, 12:33 PM
funcars
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm also having some trouble with usb-stored music files. Like JustinCase, we have usb sticks (or memory cards) with all of our cds that we use in our cars. All encoded in m4a (but not in itunes), arranged to typical artist/alsum/tracks folders and with correct embedded tags/artwork. Works fine in 958/9Y0/991 cars. But not in this PCCM+: when inserted, the Media/USB screen has a spinner for ~90 seconds, and then comes up blank.

So I've been experimenting. Ripped a new cd in itunes (with all defaults), copied just those files to a empty FAT32 usb stick, and the PCCM+ would not recognize it - same as above. Today I'll try with different encodings (I can do that in itunes, right?).

I also have an mp3 encoding of all of this. Copied one album to the same FAT32 drive and that worked better. The scan found the music and I'm able to play it. But the PCCM+ was displaying the filename (including the ".mp3") instead of the tag info for the track name. I'm going to mess with tags today to see if I can fix it.

Does anyone have usb-based music working properly, including the display showing tag info instead of filenames?
Old 01-23-2023, 02:00 PM
dph928
Instructor

@beebman sent you a PM on something possibly to try

Scrub this. MTP setting should work. I’m going to play around with the box tomorrow. Will let you know if I have any luck.

Last edited by dph928; 01-23-2023 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-23-2023, 02:58 PM
benessere
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCCM + Factory Reset to address SD Card

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
A quick trouble shooting tip if you haven't tried it already: Go into the Car menu and do a factory reset with the SD card removed. Then power it back up, click on either Navigation or Maps, and see if you get the appropriate message "SD Card not Installed" message. If you receive that message, then try installing the SD card, metal contacts facing up as previously mentioned, give it a second then try to open Navigation or Maps again. I'm thinking a good ol' fashion reboot/factory reset may be the ticket. At least I hope it is that easy for you. Keep us posted.
I finally had the time to try a factory reset. The same error issues occurred. When the Nav button was pressed and the message of "No SD Card" was display, I insert the SD card in, waited a few seconds and pressed Nav and the error came back. When I un-clicked the SD card, the message changed to "SD inserted", but a Nav button press resulted in the same error message.

I think there is a BIOS issue with the PCCM + unit since it doesn't recognize the SD card when inserted but when extracted it claims the SD card is inserted. I'm returning the SD card back to Gaudin where I purchased the card for a credit, since they don't have a replacement unit in stock.

Thanks for the suggestion.

jnb
Old 01-23-2023, 03:44 PM
dph928
Instructor

Originally Posted by benessere
I finally had the time to try a factory reset. The same error issues occurred. When the Nav button was pressed and the message of "No SD Card" was display, I insert the SD card in, waited a few seconds and pressed Nav and the error came back.

Thanks for the suggestion.

jnb
Does sound like there’s something wrong with the card holder then. That’s disappointing. Hopefully you get a replacement quickly.
Old 01-23-2023, 05:41 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by funcars
I'm also having some trouble with usb-stored music files. Like JustinCase, we have usb sticks (or memory cards) with all of our cds that we use in our cars. All encoded in m4a (but not in itunes), arranged to typical artist/alsum/tracks folders and with correct embedded tags/artwork. Works fine in 958/9Y0/991 cars. But not in this PCCM+: when inserted, the Media/USB screen has a spinner for ~90 seconds, and then comes up blank.

So I've been experimenting. Ripped a new cd in itunes (with all defaults), copied just those files to a empty FAT32 usb stick, and the PCCM+ would not recognize it - same as above. Today I'll try with different encodings (I can do that in itunes, right?).

I also have an mp3 encoding of all of this. Copied one album to the same FAT32 drive and that worked better. The scan found the music and I'm able to play it. But the PCCM+ was displaying the filename (including the ".mp3") instead of the tag info for the track name. I'm going to mess with tags today to see if I can fix it.

Does anyone have usb-based music working properly, including the display showing tag info instead of filenames?
My USB stick is working fine but tags or labels are random. Maybe 40% of mine are showing. The name of the song always pops up though once playing.
Old 01-23-2023, 06:25 PM
jonan
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

where are you guys sourcing these? i'm still on the suncoast waiting list...
Old 01-23-2023, 06:53 PM
misterdega
Rennlist Member

Received 440 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by jonan
Call your local dealership. I was able to find one pretty quick. But you may have to call a few.
Old 01-23-2023, 07:26 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,102 Posts

I got mine from: https://www.gaudinporscheparts.com/o...4259100?c=az0y

Appears to be pre-order only now.

I'd try Porsche San Diego too.
Old 01-23-2023, 07:36 PM
Summerjack
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

south bay porsche had 15 in stock as of Jan 21st. Full list price. No discount

Last edited by Summerjack; 01-23-2023 at 07:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request