Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2023, 04:15 PM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts

deleted

Last edited by svandamme; 01-30-2023 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-30-2023, 04:19 PM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dph928
You’d have to pop the cover off of the plug. Snip the wire at position 2. Peel back the covering of the cable enough to reach. Attach that wire to 10 pin plug into position 4. Reassemble the plug and tape up the cable. Plug the two plugs in. You then have a rear usb for charging or media.

oh snap, not to that identical looking brown connector then??
wtf, what's the brown one on pccm for then?
Old 01-30-2023, 04:33 PM
dph928
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by svandamme
oh snap, not to that identical looking brown connector then??
wtf, what's the brown one on pccm for then?
I’m not sure I understand what you mean. There’s a plug on the media unit that plugs into the brown socket. If you use the Subaru cable instead, it also plugs into the brown socket, but it needs to get power from the 10 pin plug (if you want to use that cable instead of the media unit).

The “phone” usb socket on the media box connects to the brown plug. Pin 2 of the brown plug isn’t wired on the media box though. That is instead common (shared) with the other usb socket which connects to the 10 pin connector.

Last edited by dph928; 01-30-2023 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-30-2023, 04:33 PM
medicus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Cool

[

Buy a 10 pin plug from eBay. Connect to pin 4. Get rid of the extra wires. All made easier if you have a pin removal tool.
.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. But I think, the Media Box is the more convenient, but more expensive way for me.
Old 01-30-2023, 04:34 PM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

is this correct? the pinouts on the 10 pin connector, as seen from behind lookign at it.
if the +5 Ground
D- and D+ are in the right spot, you can use any USB cable you like at that point, just solder it to the right pins on the connector, and it should work²
just need confirmation That I got the pin out correct since the picture before didn't show perspective

Last edited by svandamme; 01-30-2023 at 04:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
myw (03-03-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 04:41 PM
dph928
Instructor

is this correct? the pinouts on the 10 pin connector, as seen from behind lookign at it.
if the +5 Ground
D- and D+ are in the right spot, you can use any USB cable you like at that point, just solder it to the right pins on the connector, and it should work²
just need confirmation That I got the pin out correct since the picture before didn't show perspective
Those data connections on the 997 unit are not operational. That’s the issue when using the 996 media unit. Only the brown connector data connections are working. These go to the “phone” usb on the media unit, but are not working for car play. There maybe a way to enable the data connections (used for the media usb on the 996 media unit) on the 10 pin and to enable the CarPlay via the brown connector. I didn’t find a way in the GUI. Maybe someone who knows of other config files on the unit / firmware would be able to. As it stands though, only the brown socket works. But requires pin 2 (brown) connected to pin 4 (10 pin) routed unless you have the media unit (which does the same for you)

PS. I think the data connections are 8 and 9, not 9 and 10.

Last edited by dph928; 01-30-2023 at 05:09 PM.
PowerFlower (01-31-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 05:21 PM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Those data connections on the 997 unit are not operational. That’s the issue when using the 996 media unit. Only the brown connector data connections are working. These go to the “phone” usb on the media unit, but are not working for car play. There maybe a way to enable the data connections (used for the media usb on the 996 media unit) on the 10 pin and to enable the CarPlay via the brown connector. I didn’t find a way in the GUI. Maybe someone who knows of other config files on the unit / firmware would be able to. As it stands though, only the brown socket works. But requires pin 2 (brown) connected to pin 4 (10 pin) routed unless you have the media unit (which does the same for you)

PS. I think the data connections are 8 and 9, not 9 and 10.

you first told me the brown connector doesn't work that is the wrong size. and to use the 10 pin connector , and to splice the subaro cable with a 10 pin connector
I dont understand what you are telling me?

Old 01-30-2023, 05:55 PM
dph928
Instructor

you first told me the brown connector doesn't work that is the wrong size. and to use the 10 pin connector , and to splice the subaro cable with a 10 pin connector
I dont understand what you are telling me?
Not sure what you mean re wrong size. Generic Android 4 pin connectors will be the wrong size yes. The Subaru lead is the correct shape connector for the 4 pin brown socket. But 1 of the wires needs to go to the 10 pin socket.

When you plug the 996 media unit in. ONLY the phone USB socket works. This is connected to the plug which goes into the brown socket on the PCCM. But it does not take power from the Brown socket. It takes it from pin 4 of the 10 pin connector. This is how the media unit is wired.

If you would like to achieve the same with the Subaru cable you have have to again take the power from pin 4 of the 10 pin socket and the other connections come from the brown connector. You have to swap pin 1 and 2 positions on the Subaru lead to make it the same layout and connect what was pin 1 to the pin 4 of the 10 pin connector. It is then equal to the media unit and it will work for charging and usb media with one USB socket (for a lot less money and no redundant usb and aux that don’t work).

The data and aux connections on the 10 pin do not work or are not enabled. This also means that the brown plug is what is used for CarPlay on the 996 PCCM, but it does not work for the 997 PCCM (it only does storage and charging). If you fit it and someone works out how to enable CarPlay, you’re in a good place. It does seem usual on other Android HUs that only one usb does CarPlay and that one is configured as the front one on our PCCM.

Hopefully the pic below helps. Cheers.

Left how the media unit is wired for the working “phone” usb socket. Right how the Subaru cable is wired before adjusted to match the 996 media unit.

Last edited by dph928; 01-31-2023 at 03:28 AM.
PowerFlower (01-31-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 11:15 PM
maxw
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

there is also the ASK amplifier, that is non Bose, but also used fiber optics channel to the amp in the frunk.
I'm pretty sure that anybody who had PCM2.1 will need the most adapter as PCM was a bundle , you couldn't get PCM without the ASK or BOSE amp (would need somebody who did actual ordering 15 years ago to confirm that)

my guess: only those with CDR24 won't have ASK or BOSE amp in the frunk
svandamme you're probably right - I could be totally wrong saying it's possible that non-Bose may not need the MOST adapter. Since getting the PCCM+ I've been trying to better understanding what I have in my car and how the pieces fit together. My car did not come equipped with Bose, however the original owner put in aftermarket amp and speakers. It appears perhaps in replacement of the ASK amp, I have a line out converter (Audio Control LC6 model) that connects into an aftermarket amp (Audison 4 channel) which connects to component speakers (Focal) via crossovers for the front speakers (dash tweeter and mid and bass in the doors). Rear speakers are just being powered off the PCM unit itself. So not all stock here...
Old 01-31-2023, 04:06 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Not sure what you mean re wrong size. Generic Android 4 pin connectors will be the wrong size yes. The Subaru lead is the correct shape connector for the 4 pin brown socket. But 1 of the wires needs to go to the 10 pin socket.

When you plug the 996 media unit in. ONLY the phone USB socket works. This is connected to the plug which goes into the brown socket on the PCCM. But it does not take power from the Brown socket. It takes it from pin 4 of the 10 pin connector. This is how the media unit is wired.

If you would like to achieve the same with the Subaru cable you have have to again take the power from pin 4 of the 10 pin socket and the other connections come from the brown connector. You have to swap pin 1 and 2 positions on the Subaru lead to make it the same layout and connect what was pin 1 to the pin 4 of the 10 pin connector. It is then equal to the media unit and it will work for charging and usb media with one USB socket (for a lot less money and no redundant usb and aux that don’t work).
The data and aux connections on the 10 pin do not work or are not enabled. This also means that the brown plug is what is used for CarPlay on the 996 PCCM, but it does not work for the 997 PCCM (it only does storage and charging). If you fit it and someone works out how to enable CarPlay, you’re in a good place. It does seem usual on other Android HUs that only one usb does CarPlay and that one is configured as the front one on our PCCM.

Hopefully the pic below helps. Cheers.

Left how the media unit is wired for the working “phone” usb socket. Right how the Subaru cable is wired before adjusted to match the 996 media unit.

ok got it, I had missed 1 of the posts that explains using 2 plugs.. this thread is terribly complicated once a discussion splits up with others in between
I did a seperate schematic
this is correct, right?

But, having said that... did you measure the 10 pin 5V pin with the PCCM 996 US box?
If so : doesn't the 10 pin connector have the other 3 pins required as well?

Because if so.. wouldn't it be cleaner to simply use the 10 pin connector, and splice it onto a USB extension cable instead?? 1 connector instead of 2 ??

Last edited by svandamme; 01-31-2023 at 04:57 AM.
Old 01-31-2023, 04:35 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Several updates :
Added Sirius info
Added new wire schematic
Added USB wiring by deebman and dph928
added hotlinks to first post
Added cleaned up diagram for the USB hack by Deebman and dph928

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...diy-guide.html

Last edited by svandamme; 01-31-2023 at 04:56 AM.
Old 01-31-2023, 06:27 AM
dph928
Instructor

ok got it, I had missed 1 of the posts that explains using 2 plugs.. this thread is terribly complicated once a discussion splits up with others in between
I did a seperate schematic
this is correct, right?

But, having said that... did you measure the 10 pin 5V pin with the PCCM 996 US box?
If so : doesn't the 10 pin connector have the other 3 pins required as well?

Because if so.. wouldn't it be cleaner to simply use the 10 pin connector, and splice it onto a USB extension cable instead?? 1 connector instead of 2 ??
This diagram is correct for the pins on the rear. If you use the Subaru connector you have to also swap pin 2 into the pin 1 position as the cable arrangement to the usb connector is different. Look at the second part of the diagram.
The data connections on the 10 pin connector do not work. These are used / wired to the first usb socket labelled “usb” on the media unit. It does not work. The working data connections are in the brown socket, but there is no power from the brown socket. You have to take the power from pin 4 of 10 pin. There is no way to use just one or other socket (unless the data connections on the 10 pin can somehow be enabled). The working socket using the brown connector is also the one used for car play, so if you’re hedging your bets (for someone getting CarPlay working), that’s the one I’d use. That’s all the info I have. Feel free to experiment further. Cheers.

Last edited by dph928; 01-31-2023 at 06:44 AM.
Old 01-31-2023, 12:40 PM
Biggiglypanda
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by maxw
svandamme you're probably right - I could be totally wrong saying it's possible that non-Bose may not need the MOST adapter. Since getting the PCCM+ I've been trying to better understanding what I have in my car and how the pieces fit together. My car did not come equipped with Bose, however the original owner put in aftermarket amp and speakers. It appears perhaps in replacement of the ASK amp, I have a line out converter (Audio Control LC6 model) that connects into an aftermarket amp (Audison 4 channel) which connects to component speakers (Focal) via crossovers for the front speakers (dash tweeter and mid and bass in the doors). Rear speakers are just being powered off the PCM unit itself. So not all stock here...
Hi MAXW. How did they connect your audio control line converter? Was it connected out from your PCM speaker line output?
Old 01-31-2023, 12:48 PM
John.berg
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I install the Sirus XM receiver from a Cayenne, anyone know if I can retain this if doing PCCM+, it connects on the MOST/Fiber
Old 01-31-2023, 01:20 PM
fritzcurtis
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

John.berg. No unfortunately you will need new Xm vehicle box as stated. What I would do is get the new box and transfer services from Cayenne to new box.

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request