Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2023, 11:45 PM
Kieley
7th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Success!!!!

Just finished installation on pccm plus along with numeric shifter. Put the gps antenna on the little metal shelf to the right and just above the climate vents. Works great.

The following 2 users liked this post by Kieley:
defunct_neurons (08-11-2023), myw (02-07-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 12:02 AM
nikandriko
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanla997
The camera installed was a redeen lip cam. I'll have to get a picture up later. It's very discrete and hardly noticeable from the back of the car.
Is this the Rydeen CM-LIP4 camera?
https://rydeenmobile.com/product/cm-lip4/

Seems the camera the shop installed is a 480P and is higher priced (~$100) than other cameras of greater resolution (offered at $40). It must be that it is of higher quality since by looking at Rydeen, they seem specialized in this sector offering a variety of backup cameras.

I am sure PCCM Plus can support higher resolution backup cameras but maybe going for higher resolution might not be the right dimension to optimize on. Would love to hear if people have recommendations on the best reverse camera for the 997 that optimizes between (a) looking good/discrete/as-OEM-as-possible and (b) helping with the parking experience.

Would be great if you could also post some pictures of how it looks from the back of the car.

Old 01-22-2023, 12:36 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 603 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by nikandriko
Is this the Rydeen CM-LIP4 camera?
https://rydeenmobile.com/product/cm-lip4/

Seems the camera the shop installed is a 480P and is higher priced (~$100) than other cameras of greater resolution (offered at $40). It must be that it is of higher quality since by looking at Rydeen, they seem specialized in this sector offering a variety of backup cameras.

I am sure PCCM Plus can support higher resolution backup cameras but maybe going for higher resolution might not be the right dimension to optimize on. Would love to hear if people have recommendations on the best reverse camera for the 997 that optimizes between (a) looking good/discrete/as-OEM-as-possible and (b) helping with the parking experience.

Would be great if you could also post some pictures of how it looks from the back of the car.
don’t forget that the pccm+ runs in android 6 and is a 480p acreen

AHd camera support began with android 10 - and I assume would have most benefit from an hd 720p screen with over double the resolution.

But still worth a try to plug in an AHD cam - you will know immediately if it’s supported or not
Old 01-22-2023, 04:10 AM
amusselw
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Thank you to everyone who detailed their install! I was able to get through mine without too much of an ordeal. I went with Gaudin for $1475; the Nav SD card is on backorder from Germany so I can’t even pull up anything with maps yet.
The following users liked this post:
myw (01-22-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 05:41 AM
medicus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by beebman
Hi all, got the 996 Media Box today and have just tested it. Slightly disappointing news as it only partially works. The input labelled phone works for usb and charging but not CarPlay. The inputs labelled usb and aux don’t work at all. I tried running to auto config, but there was no difference. It seems that it may be firmware restricting access, but can’t be sure. Maybe Porsche will release and update🤞 I know people were hoping this would work fully, but at least it’s the extra usb port, just a shame it doesn’t support CarPlay🙁
shaun

Please don't get me wrong, but I wanted to ask again because I can't understand that the Aux port doesn't work. Did you connect both cables, the brown and the ten pin white?

I can't imagine at all that Porsche or Kraemer Automotiv takes the trouble to change the firmware in such a way that a USB port is not controlled.

Maybe you can change something in PCCM settings? Especially Android Settings?

Last edited by medicus; 01-22-2023 at 06:12 AM.
Old 01-22-2023, 07:15 AM
dph928
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by medicus
Please don't get me wrong, but I wanted to ask again because I can't understand that the Aux port doesn't work. Did you connect both cables, the brown and the ten pin white?

I can't imagine at all that Porsche or Kraemer Automotiv takes the trouble to change the firmware in such a way that a USB port is not controlled.

I’ve emailed KA to ask them. I’ll let you know if they get back (I’ve got the box arriving tomorrow, so it’d be great if we could get it to work).
medicus (01-22-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 07:34 AM
medicus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dph928
I’ve emailed KA to ask them. I’ll let you know if they get back (I’ve got the box arriving tomorrow, so it’d be great if we could get it to work).
I’ve emailed KA a few weeks ago. Here is the answer. And by the way, PC did not answer me!

Dear Mr. ,

Due to contractual and warranty regulations, all information concerning the device may only be issued by the Porsche Center.
Please contact your responsible Porsche center directly with this request.
We ask for your understanding.

Best regards

Customer Service Center
Fax.: +49 (0) 7121 / 5151-15
support@kraemer-automotive.com

Krämer Automotive Systems GmbH
Obere Wässere 6-8
72764 Reutlingen
Germany
www.kraemer-automotive.com

Geschäftsführer: Hans-Peter Schmidt, Gabriele Müller, Stuttgart HRB: 354641
CONFIDENTIALITY
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to another person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium.
Old 01-22-2023, 07:48 AM
dph928
Instructor

I’ve emailed KA a few weeks ago. Here is the answer. And by the way, PC did not answer me!
Great, thanks. I’ve emailed Porsche Germany (and classic services) to see if we can get an answer from them. I expect it will simply be that this isn’t supported unfortunately.

The thing that makes me think that it is disabled is that the menu for media doesn’t show aux as an option (as it does on the 996 version). Given the box is dumb per @beebman pics and just connectors on a basic circuit board, you’d expect that option (even if greyed out like the sd when map card is present) to be there regardless of whether the box is there and plugged in.

@beebman long shot, did you try auto-configure pccm plus after you’d connected the box to see if it detected it? There’s mention above of needing to do this for peripherals.

Last edited by dph928; 01-22-2023 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-22-2023, 09:18 AM
beebman
Track Day

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

I connected both connectors on the back of the unit and tried to get the aux input to work. I connected up an old iPod to test and couldn’t see any aux input appear when the media button was pressed. I going to have another look today just to be sure.
medicus (01-22-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 09:38 AM
beebman
Track Day

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dph928
Great, thanks. I’ve emailed Porsche Germany (and classic services) to see if we can get an answer from them. I expect it will simply be that this isn’t supported unfortunately.

The thing that makes me think that it is disabled is that the menu for media doesn’t show aux as an option (as it does on the 996 version). Given the box is dumb per @beebman pics and just connectors on a basic circuit board, you’d expect that option (even if greyed out like the sd when map card is present) to be there regardless of whether the box is there and plugged in.

@beebman long shot, did you try auto-configure pccm plus after you’d connected the box to see if it detected it? There’s mention above of needing to do this for peripherals.

@dph928 i did try the auto configure after plugging the media box in but it made no difference. I think the firmware is restricting the media box access. I’m going to have another look today.
medicus (01-22-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 09:53 AM
dph928
Instructor

Originally Posted by beebman
@dph928 i did try the auto configure after plugging the media box in but it made no difference. I think the firmware is restricting the media box access. I’m going to have another look today.
If you press and hold “factory reset” there are apparently more options in there (not sure they’ll help though). Cheers for trying and updating. Dan

There is a vid here on accessing the android system from there https://youtu.be/FQO_smQNB6Q

Last edited by dph928; 01-22-2023 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-22-2023, 10:16 AM
dph928
Instructor

I’ve just tried the above. There is a whole host of parameters and ways to adjust them.

I selected USB_open on this one The T3 launcher gives you access to the android is and settings.

This is what’s in the usb_c open menu

This is the first menu, press last page to get to the one above.
Spastblast (01-24-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 10:35 AM
Carfan1
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

How long do you hold the reset button? I did it for 30 seconds and nothing happened. Are there specific steps to access this menu?
Old 01-22-2023, 10:38 AM
dph928
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carfan1
How long do you hold the reset button? I did it for 30 seconds and nothing happened. Are there specific steps to access this menu?
You have to press and hold for quite a while. More than 30 seconds I’d say.
Old 01-22-2023, 10:46 AM
Carfan1
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

It worked

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request