Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2023, 02:38 PM
beebman
Track Day

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dph928
Damn, that’s disappointing. Thanks for updating everyone @beebman appreciated. I may hang on to it on the off chance for now.

Gonna accept it as it is though for now though. I’ve a short usb I can connect my phone with while it’s in the charger, if I want to use CarPlay.
Inside shot

Old 01-21-2023, 03:00 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 564 Likes on 335 Posts

to the pccm+ owners, is the lighting of the dials + buttons the same as the oem hvac? or slightly off?

ps - nice work with the flat cable.

Originally Posted by Carfan1
Here are pics. As you can see I'm using an AA wireless dongle that is stored in the cubby under the HVAC. But the cable could easily come out anywhere.
Old 01-21-2023, 03:03 PM
medicus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=beebman;18571481]Hi All, I’ve worked out how to get an external usb to work. It works for playing music from a usb stick and phone charging, but not CarPlay. Not sure why, but will see if I can get this working. I’ve added two pictures. One is the pins on the back of the PCCM showing which needs to be connected and the other shows it working.

Which USB cabel did you use? And which port did you connect, brown or white? Picture or Link would be nice.

Last edited by medicus; 01-21-2023 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-21-2023, 03:09 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

im sure they figured which cable was the reverse trigger + plugged the factory black+blue (kickpanel/tailight) cable to it. fakra + rca adapter for the video signal. power + ground for the camera directly from taillight harness is my guess. is your reverse camera an AHD one? it makes a HUGE diff differences when compared to the SD ones.

the external mic is a must - when driving with road/exhaust noise the internal mic is worthless - its too far away.

Originally Posted by ryanla997
The camera installed was a redeen lip cam. I'll have to get a picture up later. It's very discrete and hardly noticeable from the back of the car. I do a lot of work on my car, but I am not skilled with electronic installations. I asked the shop owner what he did and he said it was complicated. They worked on the car for an entire day before they figured it out. He said that he had to find another pin connection for the back of the unit since it didn't have one. I realize this is probably not very helpful and can try getting more information.

The camera works perfectly. It interrupts whatever is playing on the PCCM when the car is put into reverse. Music is muted but still audible when you're reversing.

I have no white noise at all.

I have to admit, I am disappointed with the internal mic. I did a bunch of testing with the external versus internal mic. I may wind up going back to the external mic. Voice quality is quite muted.
Old 01-21-2023, 03:10 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

a huge thank you for this! now does map/music info show on the cluster when using maps + playing music but under carplay/AA?

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
I think it was asked earlier, but I confirmed that the turn-by-turn from the Nav showed up in my instrument cluster, as did the song I was playing via bluetooth.

I still need to mess with the individual settings menu a bit more, as I couldn't get the climate memory to work (even though I probably wouldn't use that). Does the engine need to be running, or can the ignition be on in order to confirm the individual settings selections? I'm also curious if I can turn off my daytime running lights but won't know until I start the car next.
Old 01-21-2023, 04:20 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 294 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
a huge thank you for this! now does map/music info show on the cluster when using maps + playing music but under carplay/AA?
Unfortunately not. I just went out to my car to check. I plugged my iPhone in for CarPlay, played music, and started a route on Apple Maps. I received an "App" message for the music, and "App Navigation" with Maps.

The following users liked this post:
myw (01-21-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 04:28 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

thank you always

Unfortunately not. I just went out to my car to check. I plugged my iPhone in for CarPlay, played music, and started a route on Apple Maps. I received an "App" message for the music, and "App Navigation" with Maps.
Old 01-21-2023, 04:34 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 294 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
thank you always
You're more than welcome!

Regarding your question on how the lighting matches, I just went out to my garage with the lights out, however, we do have windows in our garage doors so I can't get it completely dark. I can definitely notice the PCCM+ lighting is brighter and whiter, which isn't the worse thing. However, it does not match the HVAC or other controls perfectly. Also, using the interior light dimmer would not affect the brightness on the PCCM+, only the dash cluster and the other buttons on the center stack. I wonder if there is a setting on the PCCM+ to control the brightness of the controls. Now my OCD is going to go into a tailspin! LOL

Old 01-21-2023, 05:20 PM
Carfan1
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
to the pccm+ owners, is the lighting of the dials + buttons the same as the oem hvac? or slightly off?

ps - nice work with the flat cable.
I've stared intently, I can't tell any difference in the lighting or anything else. I really like the flat cable. You won't believe me. But I woke up one morning and realized the idea had come to me somehow overnight. I thought it would be much more discreet than the a long cable. When the installer placed it in the cubby instead of the glovebox I thought that was amazing because I hadn't thought of that.

My only complaint about the whole experience was that I also asked to get new fog lights installed while the Porsche was getting a new PCCM Plus. Sadly, the installer tried and failed. Somehow either before or after putting the OEM lights back he overstretched the wires and it caused one of the foglight bulbs to blow out and that created an error on the instrument screen. The installer belatedly said the errors showed before he started which is untrue. Even replacing the bulb hasn't made the errors go away -- well the 2nd bulb blew out. So you see, I won't be giving them 5 stars. I've scheduled it for repair at the Porsche dealer....
Old 01-21-2023, 05:24 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

ok i dont feel that bad anymore re my android pcm then... all things considered - a close match is good enough!

You're more than welcome!
Regarding your question on how the lighting matches, I just went out to my garage with the lights out, however, we do have windows in our garage doors so I can't get it completely dark. I can definitely notice the PCCM+ lighting is brighter and whiter, which isn't the worse thing. However, it does not match the HVAC or other controls perfectly. Also, using the interior light dimmer would not affect the brightness on the PCCM+, only the dash cluster and the other buttons on the center stack. I wonder if there is a setting on the PCCM+ to control the brightness of the controls. Now my OCD is going to go into a tailspin! LOL
Old 01-21-2023, 05:34 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Carfan1
I've stared intently, I can't tell any difference in the lighting or anything else. I really like the flat cable. You won't believe me. But I woke up one morning and realized the idea had come to me somehow overnight. I thought it would be much more discreet than the a long cable. When the installer placed it in the cubby instead of the glovebox I thought that was amazing because I hadn't thought of that.

My only complaint about the whole experience was that I also asked to get new fog lights installed while the Porsche was getting a new PCCM Plus. Sadly, the installer tried and failed. Somehow either before or after putting the OEM lights back he overstretched the wires and it caused one of the foglight bulbs to blow out and that created an error on the instrument screen. The installer belatedly said the errors showed before he started which is untrue. Even replacing the bulb hasn't made the errors go away -- well the 2nd bulb blew out. So you see, I won't be giving them 5 stars. I've scheduled it for repair at the Porsche dealer....
since you mentioned the cubby thing - here are some screencaps i have posted on other threads / fb re the setup + design of my android radio. perhaps the ideas will help some of you / the shops with your installs.

looking forward to seeing + learning from the rest of your installs!

Old 01-21-2023, 06:32 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 88 Posts

Has anyone put the microphone in the original steering column location and compared it to the audio quality of the microphone on top of the column as well as the built-in mic?
Old 01-21-2023, 06:41 PM
dph928
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinCase
Has anyone put the microphone in the original steering column location and compared it to the audio quality of the microphone on top of the column as well as the built-in mic?
I installed mine into the shell of an original mic and fitted on the left hand side in the cowl. There’s no real difference there vs on top, other than it’s hidden. Don’t think the internal one would be great on the move, but fine stationary.
My mic install pics are higher up the thread.

Last edited by dph928; 01-21-2023 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-21-2023, 06:46 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by dph928
I installed mine into the shell of an original mic and fitted on the left hand side in the cowl. There’s no real difference there vs on top, other than it looks better. Don’t think the internal one would be great on the move, but fine stationary.
My mic install pics are higher up the thread.
Thanks! I saw how you had put them there, but I missed how the sound quality compared.
Old 01-21-2023, 07:32 PM
Carrera01
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I suspect the number of maps and the overall data size over exceeds the storage capacity of the microSD. I know we live in a time with virtually unlimited cloud and hard drive storage, but I'm old enough to remember the days where you could easily exceed the capacity of an external data storage source (floppy disk, CD, etc.). I suspect they go to load the maps wherever they are produced not realizing that the file sizes exceed the storage capacity on the microSD. At least that is my best guess.

You have the correct SD card, and I had the same initial reaction when I opened the package and held the SD card up to my PCCM+. If you look closely, there is a way to open up the larger portion of the SD card, exposing the smaller Micro SD card that fits our cars. I suspect the larger case is for cars with a different or larger SD card slot. As long as there are two pictures of a PCCM+ on the package, one for the Cayenne, and one for the 997.1/987.1, you have the correct SD card.
Thanks, GIG you are correct the micro slides into the larger SD from the bottom. Also are the locking CAMs still used now with the PCCM+ or do the new spring-based levers make the CAMs redundant - I have not pushed mine all the way back in yet.

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request