Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2023, 02:44 PM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 81 Posts

Does anyone know which connector plug/type , plugs in to the FM booster in the A pillar?
I broke one , it works on 1 antenna, but would want to try and fix that..

new wire from Porsche is 85 bucks or so, But surely that connector can be replaced, if only I could figure out which to order
Old 01-24-2023, 04:33 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 570 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by medicus
Does anybody know if I can upgrade the device to a newer Android version myself? Or is it dangerous because I can brickthe device?
VERY unlikely porsche would allow this

- And yes very possible it would brick the device.
Old 01-24-2023, 04:34 PM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Hootsama
Meaning up behind the center air vents? I'm awaiting my PCCM and considering placement for the GPS and Sirius antennae. (Car is a cab...)

just plop it on the tray where the most adapter box goes.
I did just that, my GPS works just fine

Why bother snaking cables to some remote location under the cowl if you can put it there, and it works??
The following 3 users liked this post by svandamme:
Hootsama (01-24-2023), kimchee411 (01-25-2023), maxw (01-24-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 05:07 PM
maxw
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by svandamme
just plop it on the tray where the most adapter box goes.
I did just that, my GPS works just fine

Why bother snaking cables to some remote location under the cowl if you can put it there, and it works??
Agree - based on feedback here I just placed it here. I also left off the MOST adapter box because my non-Bose system didn't need it (I tested with and without it and no diff for me). I didn't realize the GPS puck was magnetized either until someone here mentioned as well. Magnet sticks hard to the tray - simple solution. That said, I don't have the navigation memory card to test how well this works. If/when I get it - if there is a coverage issue I'll just address it and re-route it - but figured no point in bothering if this works well enough as others have reported.

The following 2 users liked this post by maxw:
kimchee411 (01-25-2023), myw (01-24-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 05:22 PM
Hootsama
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 217 Posts

I'll have a lot to cram onto the tray. MOST box + Sirius box + GPS ant + Sirius ant...
Old 01-24-2023, 05:26 PM
funcars
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Hootsama
I'll have a lot to cram onto the tray. MOST box + Sirius box + GPS ant + Sirius ant...
Consider that there's room behind the PCCM+ too. I have BOSE too, and thought the tray was getting a little crowded with the coiled GPS wire. So that got moved to behind the PCCM+... GPS reception seems fine with the antenna on the tray. Every time I've looked at the signal strength screen, I've had 6+ connected...
The following users liked this post:
Hootsama (01-24-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 05:36 PM
dph928
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by maxw
Agree - based on feedback here I just placed it here. I also left off the MOST adapter box because my non-Bose system didn't need it (I tested with and without it and no diff for me). I didn't realize the GPS puck was magnetized either until someone here mentioned as well. Magnet sticks hard to the tray - simple solution. That said, I don't have the navigation memory card to test how well this works. If/when I get it - if there is a coverage issue I'll just address it and re-route it - but figured no point in bothering if this works well enough as others have reported.

It’s not recommended to keep the GPS cord coiled in a loop. Ideally you want to ziptie across the middle to flatten it. I bunched mine and zip tied behind the unit the full width of the space. You can just see in pic below.

Last edited by dph928; 01-24-2023 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-24-2023, 05:53 PM
964hans
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Spastblast
I could be wrong, but shouldn’t we be looking at the connector on the opposite side? Since the right front port is USB and we’re now looking at it from the back (therefore, left and right being flipped)?
You are right. I flipped left and right. Sorry
This is the USB connector
Spastblast (01-25-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 05:58 PM
babylonboots
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by svandamme
you need to edit the files, it needs MP3 tags per file, it does not read anything from the directory , other than the file name.

I used mp3tag

https://www.mp3tag.de/en/download.html
Nice file editing utility. Thanks for posting. I used to have to edit the file properties to do some of this.

Do you know which of the file tags are displayed and used by the PCCM+ system? I can start getting my mp3s structured in advance.

I'm waiting to see what was done to the devices with the recall before I take the plunge. There will probably be a firmware upgrade or ???.

Last edited by babylonboots; 01-24-2023 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-24-2023, 06:00 PM
maxw
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by dph928
It’s not recommended to keep the GPS cord coiled in a loop. Ideally you want to ziptie across the middle to flatten it. I bunched mine and zip tied behind the unit the full width of the space. You can just see in pic below.
Good point - I know have read this is true for speaker wire, but know it's ideal to trim the wire closer to length so not having to coil it and in theory less possible signal loss. Certainly not going to be trimming this GPS cable though. Regardless I'm not particularly concerned about the GPS signal as am pretty sure I'm going to just roll with CarPlay and using my iPhone's GPS. Probably should have just left it out completely!
dph928 (01-24-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 06:33 PM
Carrera01
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by maxw

I placed it on the shelf but was not able to get the Nav signal so ended up placing on the A pillar like GIG did. When placed here it worked.
My test in a 2 car garage was compared with my other car, a B Class. The Nav on the Merc could clearly show a map of the area with detail. GPS antenna on the shelf could not get a signal, on the A pillar, clearly see a map with detail. This was not an issue as I had removed the A pillar covers to fit the DAB amplifiers so a 5 min task running the cable back.
Old 01-24-2023, 11:34 PM
Alfnado
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Has anyone found a reliable place to order yet? My local dealerships appear to be useless. One even said it was greyed out in their system and they could not even place an order.
Old 01-25-2023, 12:52 AM
babylonboots
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

"Someone in the 997 Turbo group heard the units were recalled by Porsche. N Houston sold the units back to Porsche."
Update :
Hello, this is Porsche North Houston parts dept. Very sorry for the mixup, but my colleague must have been confused.

PCCM+/PCCM's for 996 and older vehicles WERE recalled but have since become available again. PCCM+ for 997.1/987.1 have NOT been recalled and are currently available... albeit on currently limited supply. If you have any questions or would like to purchase please DM.

Thanks!

Last edited by babylonboots; 01-25-2023 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-25-2023, 12:54 AM
Alfnado
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by babylonboots
Someone in the 997 Turbo group heard (from Porsche North Houston) that the units were recalled by Porsche. N Houston sold the units back to Porsche. No reason was given as to what was behind the recall. That could explain why units aren't currently as readily available.
Oh interesting. I guess I’ll just have to wait longer. Oh well.
Old 01-25-2023, 01:34 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfnado
Has anyone found a reliable place to order yet? My local dealerships appear to be useless. One even said it was greyed out in their system and they could not even place an order.
Call Porsche Marin. They were out of stock two weeks ago but told me what other dealers had in stock without even asking. I got mine from Porsche Vegas. Only downside is I have to send my CA sales tax payment on my own 😁

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request