Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2023, 07:38 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera01
I placed it on the shelf but was not able to get the Nav signal so ended up placing on the A pillar like GIG did. When placed here it worked.
My test in a 2 car garage was compared with my other car, a B Class. The Nav on the Merc could clearly show a map of the area with detail. GPS antenna on the shelf could not get a signal, on the A pillar, clearly see a map with detail. This was not an issue as I had removed the A pillar covers to fit the DAB amplifiers so a 5 min task running the cable back.
You sure it wasn't jut a longer pickup because it was the first time looking for satelites?? first time always takes forever.
Only other thing I can think off, is the sport chrono thingie magic blocking signals , I don't have that on my dash and satnav picks up fine.
Old 01-25-2023, 08:24 AM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 88 Posts

I finally got around to permanently removing my CD Changer and old Cayenne Sirius XM Receiver. It got a little complicated because of the special harness associated with the old Sirius/XM box, but I re-figured all that out. I left the Nav unit in for the time being because (a) I need another MOST terminal loop to maintain the circuit (I used the one that came with the PCCM+ to terminate the CD Changer harness), (b) because with the CD Changer removed, the Nav unit flushes up with the existing CD Changer shelf and makes a more usable storage space, and (c) because I have never figured out how the Nav unit is fastened down so that I can remove it (the real reason). The car doesn't seem any more responsiveness, but then I could afford to lose 20 pounds, myself.

While I was in there, I removed my old windshield frame-mounted XM antenna and rerouted the cable for an additional XM antenna I had epoxied to the underside of the cowl 7-8 years ago into the space behind the PCCM+ for future use with a new, compatible Sirius/XM receiver. I never used that antenna because reception was flaky in the mountains and tall trees of Washington State, but I am hoping that reception will be better than in the past in the relative flat openness of Tennessee. I'll use Apple CarPlay if I have to whenever I go into other mountains.

The map SD card, defective or not, is due in today. We shall see.

I wonder if the problems with USB thumb drives and missing data on the map SD card are related.

Last edited by JustinCase; 01-25-2023 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-25-2023, 11:10 AM
Alfnado
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by daddyscar
Call Porsche Marin. They were out of stock two weeks ago but told me what other dealers had in stock without even asking. I got mine from Porsche Vegas. Only downside is I have to send my CA sales tax payment on my own 😁
Thanks!
Old 01-25-2023, 11:45 AM
fritzcurtis
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Albeit minor, there seems to be an issue with Siriusxm as well. Logo data for stations is flakey. You can go into maintenance mode and hit update button. That brings up another screen that allows you to update Sirius logo data. I hit it and it took about 20 seconds and came back with success on the screen. I exited the maintenance menus and went back to xm and sure enough all the station logos were there. Then the thing updates with a circling logo on top left and they disappear. The thing is then Sirius slowly tries to update them into the screen over time, but none of them stick when you turn off the car. Next time you turn on radio all logos are gone.

Last edited by fritzcurtis; 01-25-2023 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-25-2023, 11:51 AM
fritzcurtis
Advanced

Maybe the new and improved units will be called PCCM Plus Plus!
Old 01-25-2023, 11:51 AM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by fritzcurtis
Albeit minor, there seems to be an issue with Siriusxm as well. Logo data for stations is flakey. You can go into maintenance mode and hit update button. That brings up another screen that allows you to update Sirius logo data. I hit it and it took about 20 seconds and came back with success on the screen. I exited the maintenance menus and went back to xm and sure enough all the station logos were there. Then the thing updates with a circling logo on top left and they disappear. The thing is then Sirius slowly tries to update them into the screen over time, but none of them stick when you turn off the car. Next time you turn on radio all logos are gone.
What Sirius receiver are you using?
Old 01-25-2023, 11:55 AM
fritzcurtis
Advanced

Sirius receiver recommended is:

SiriusXM SXV300AZV1 on Amazon.

Last edited by fritzcurtis; 01-25-2023 at 12:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by fritzcurtis:
defunct_neurons (08-11-2023), JustinCase (01-25-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 01:13 PM
ishmclaughlin
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just wanted to update my posts above.

Called Porsche Palm Springs on Monday afternoon per your advice. They did have a unit in stock, I paid for it Monday afternoon and it arrived at my door Tuesday morning!
Thrilled with the service from Porsche PS and happy to report I now have the Carplay unit. Thanks for the help. Now for the install...

To those looking, give them a call.. maybe they have more!
Old 01-25-2023, 03:09 PM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

I think I figured out how PCCM deals with MP3 files.

It reads the MP3 tags for the Album, and groups the music according to the album tag.

So regardless of directory structure, if you have 2 files with same album, it will group across the entire folder structure
Stb for confirmation, will test
The following 3 users liked this post by svandamme:
babylonboots (01-25-2023), defunct_neurons (08-14-2023), Woodsprite (01-26-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 03:53 PM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Can confirm.. MP3 tag for album is what sorts out Back/Forward or shuffle
However... for browsing, you still need the directory structure, since the browsing really only works on the file system.

This is designed by Germans, and there is no such thing as any random list with mix mash files from random albums with missing MP3 tags

ORDNUNG MUST SEIN!

So to get along
put your stuff in directories
make sure the directores have files from 1 album only, that the MP3 album tags are properly set

If you want a mix directory, overwrite all the tags for that mix directory so they all have the same album tag, and "Bob's your uncle", or rougly translated "Dieter ist Deinen onkel".

Last edited by svandamme; 01-25-2023 at 03:55 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by svandamme:
defunct_neurons (08-14-2023), Woodsprite (01-26-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 04:10 PM
medicus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by svandamme
Can confirm.. MP3 tag for album is what sorts out Back/Forward or shuffle
However... for browsing, you still need the directory structure, since the browsing really only works on the file system.

This is designed by Germans, and there is no such thing as any random list with mix mash files from random albums with missing MP3 tags

ORDNUNG MUST SEIN!

So to get along
put your stuff in directories
make sure the directores have files from 1 album only, that the MP3 album tags are properly set

If you want a mix directory, overwrite all the tags for that mix directory so they all have the same album tag, and "Bob's your uncle", or rougly translated "Dieter ist Deinen onkel".
For a Belgian, your German is really terrible.

Net als mijn Vlaamse

Last edited by medicus; 01-25-2023 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-25-2023, 04:12 PM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Well off course it is, we aren't German and are no longer under German military rule :P

Old 01-25-2023, 04:16 PM
medicus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by svandamme
Well off course it is, we aren't German and are no longer under German military rule :P

The following users liked this post:
svandamme (01-25-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 05:43 PM
benessere
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jonan
where are you guys sourcing these? i'm still on the suncoast waiting list...
I was able order from Gaudin Porsche in Las Vegas.

jnb
Old 01-25-2023, 07:49 PM
babylonboots
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Update
Hello, this is Porsche North Houston parts dept. Very sorry for the mixup, but my colleague must have been confused.

PCCM+/PCCM's for 996 and older vehicles WERE recalled but have since become available again. PCCM+ for 997.1/987.1 have NOT been recalled and are currently available... albeit on currently limited supply. If you have any questions or would like to purchase please DM.

Last edited by babylonboots; 01-25-2023 at 07:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request