Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2023, 04:42 PM
dph928
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by beebman
I was thinking that too, but it’s probably the sd card slot for the sat nav. That would explain 3 usb’s.
@beebman. I was reading this about CarPlay:
“In CarPlay, the phone changes roles from a USB device to a USB host so that it has control of the car's infotainment system”.

If you can work out how to change the usb port you’ve connected, you may be able to get it working. It must be set as host rather than device (which must also be why the media box has two usb ports for the two purposes).
The following 2 users liked this post by dph928:
dmrose76 (06-14-2023), medicus (01-22-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 05:07 PM
medicus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dph928
@beebman. I was reading this about CarPlay:
“In CarPlay, the phone changes roles from a USB device to a USB host so that it has control of the car's infotainment system”.

If you can work out how to change the usb port you’ve connected, you may be able to get it working. It must be set as host rather than device (which must also be why the media box has two usb ports for the two purposes).
I found this in a Youtube workaround. There is shown a usb mode choice, device / host in android radio settings.

]https://youtu.be/7BRvFhD5qNQ

Last edited by medicus; 01-22-2023 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-22-2023, 06:46 PM
fritzcurtis
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I ordered this hi-def glass screen protector off of Amazon. Fits perfect.

Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
pnw987 (04-30-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 07:50 PM
Carfan1
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

You know they say "Pics, or it didn't happen!"
Old 01-22-2023, 08:39 PM
Carrera01
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by amusselw
No, mine turns on/off with the car. The only weird thing for me so far is that the time synchronization hasn’t worked yet. I’m not sure if the RBDS doesn’t have a good enough signal here in Hawaii or if my GPS antenna won’t work without the Nav SD card (mine is installed on top of the shelf on the unit).
Its the GPS - mine did not have the correct time and date until it synced with the GPS the first time once I added the SD card.
The following users liked this post:
amusselw (01-22-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 09:02 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 88 Posts

I finally had time to install my PCCM+, with much appreciation for all who have gone before. There are a few variations because I have a cabriolet.

1. I installed the GPS antenna under the passenger A-pillar cover *just* above the existing FM antenna booster. It is about the only space in there that does not interfere with the cover latches and internal structural ribs. The same spot on the driver's side is already spoken for with a cable bundle running up to the rear-view mirror assembly. I figure the GPS antenna now sort-of faces the sky over the center of the road where it is almost always open sky, and the only material in front of it is a plastic and leather cover.

2, I installed the microphone using a modified version of what dph928 did. I lightly tacked the top black foam to the back side of the RH microphone grill with super glue, and carefully spaced the opened microphone base back so that there is air in front of the mic. I stuck the mic housing down with the 30# Grizzly double-stick tape (kind of a rubber tape) in back of the grill and layered some more of this tape over the original mic housing base so the mic couldn't move. I checked my work to make sure this assembly did not affect the fitment of the steering column cover and fished my line through like dph928. Many thanks, sir! BTW, the mic sounds slightly muffled to my wife, and is pretty much the same as the same mic was with its original housing and FGP's top-of-column fitment.

3. I proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that the old Cayenne Sirius/XM module I installed in the MOST loop years ago does not function with this new system. I don't think that will bother most people given the easy access to Bluetooth Sirius/XM inputs from a phone. There may be a few vintage Cayenne owners that may be surprised, though.

4. I could not find any information on how to remove the A-pillar covers for a cabriolet, so I used simple observation and judgment to figure it out. To save other cab owners some time, here is how it works: (1) Remove the small plastic cover on the face of the visor mount, exposing two Torx screws. (2) Remove the screws, mount, and visor. (3) Grap the exposed top of the A-pillar cover and pull simultaneously up and towards the center of the car. (4) you will hear two spring clips snap out of their mounting grooves. (5) Keep wiggling and pulling until the bottom tab is fully out of its slot. That's it. It goes back together in reverse order, but pay attention to have the small metal guide at the bottom front tip of the cover line up *behind* the cover where you cannot see it.

5. I have not yet received my map chip, so I have nothing to offer with the native Navigation system. It's hard to get too excited about this since I can use Google Maps over Apple CarPlay. I would like to get it eventually so I have turn-by-turn instructions under my tachometer. Honestly, it's just fussiness on my part.

6. There is an option to adjust the relative sound levels across various inputs. Pay attention to this! But even with these adjustments, I found it hard to get wireless Bluetooth to sound as good as wired. Once I got my (cabrio) subwoofer put back in, the leveling adjustments made, and a little tweaking with the EQ, both my wife and I thought it sounded better than the original PCM. As a caveat, even though I worked for a while engineering baffles and enclosures for a major high-end speaker company, without fancy electronic test equipment I am not an audiophile and can be satisfied relatively easily.

7. I was able to test everything except the native NAV, and I only found one problem: I could not get the PCCM+ to recognize a thumb drive I borrowed from my truck and another I borrowed from my wife's Macan. The selection option remained grayed out no matter what. Knowing I have a few gigabytes of music on the stick and knowing that there can be an extended loading time as a result, I'll try again tomorrow. I'll also try with a thumb drive with only a few MP3 files and no directories. If I missed an obvious solution, I rely on this group to let me know.

8. I have decided that the wired Bluetooth is not a problem for me. I'm just going to get a 12" cable and call it good. Since I use Navigation a lot, it's nice to keep the phone charged.

9. I would like to know what equipment is required for native Sirius/XM. I'm guessing some sort of Sirius module and a Sirius antenna. I'll give it some time before I decide whether I want to ever go this way, but I would still like to know what's involved.

10. I have kind of the same attitude with the rearview camera. I am very curious what all it takes, but I'm not sure I really need it. After all, my 997 has been my daily driver for a decade and a half.

To all of you who have gone before me, thank you very much for sharing your experiences! This group is the best!

Last edited by JustinCase; 01-22-2023 at 09:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JustinCase:
997TC (04-22-2023), dph928 (01-23-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 10:00 PM
Carfan1
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

What did you change? I didn’t see anything that would change RGB of the screen. There’s an LED colour button, assumed that was for the external buttons. I definitely wouldn’t change anything without recording the original setting. Coincidence? Are you sure it’s different.
Very sure. Everything has more red in it now. It's like the tint was turned up. It mostly affects anything that would be blue like with Android Auto. Now I don't want to try a reset because it might brick the PCCM.
Old 01-22-2023, 10:06 PM
dmrose76
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 20 Posts

JustinCase, thanks. As a Cab owner the A pillar instructions are welcome. I also am interested in the Sirius FM solution. Is your Cab the Bose stereo?
Old 01-22-2023, 10:38 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Originally Posted by dmrose76
JustinCase, thanks. As a Cab owner the A pillar instructions are welcome. I also am interested in the Sirius FM solution. Is your Cab the Bose stereo?
Bose.
Old 01-22-2023, 11:26 PM
ryanla997
Track Day

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

here’s a picture of the camera. It’s subtle
The following 2 users liked this post by ryanla997:
myw (01-23-2023), veloaudio2 (01-23-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 07:15 AM
dph928
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carfan1
Very sure. Everything has more red in it now. It's like the tint was turned up. It mostly affects anything that would be blue like with Android Auto. Now I don't want to try a reset because it might brick the PCCM.
Did you go into the T3launcher or just fiddled in those screens?
Old 01-23-2023, 07:25 AM
dph928
Instructor

Originally Posted by JustinCase
2, I installed the microphone using a modified version of what dph928 did. I lightly tacked the top black foam to the back side of the RH microphone grill with super glue, and carefully spaced the opened microphone base back so that there is air in front of the mic. I stuck the mic housing down with the 30# Grizzly double-stick tape (kind of a rubber tape) in back of the grill and layered some more of this tape over the original mic housing base so the mic couldn't move. I checked my work to make sure this assembly did not affect the fitment of the steering column cover and fished my line through like dph928. Many thanks, sir! BTW, the mic sounds slightly muffled to my wife, and is pretty much the same as the same mic was with its original housing and FGP's top-of-column fitment.
I didn’t use the foam, I used the very thin felt piece that comes on to of the original mics. Mine is being reported as being crystal clear. Might be worth thinning your foam or stealing the felt piece from your original mic and perhaps using the foam on it instead if you’ve kept it for the Bose. I left the same gap you mentioned, so you should be all good otherwise.
Old 01-23-2023, 08:14 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,102 Posts

Has anyone been able to get their hands on the official Porsche instructions? Figured these could be an interesting/good reference.
Old 01-23-2023, 08:18 AM
dph928
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Has anyone been able to get their hands on the official Porsche instructions? Figured these could be an interesting/good reference.
There are official instructions for the 996 pccm plus if you do a Google search. Not really different (apart from the extra effort needed on the 996 re tweaks to dash). They’re not great though and the gps ends up on the dash (when the 996 has a proper home for the GPS unit in the centre where the red flashing led lives)
Old 01-23-2023, 08:40 AM
JustinCase
Racer

I didn’t use the foam, I used the very thin felt piece that comes on to of the original mics. Mine is being reported as being crystal clear. Might be worth thinning your foam or stealing the felt piece from your original mic and perhaps using the foam on it instead if you’ve kept it for the Bose. I left the same gap you mentioned, so you should be all good otherwise.
I mis-stated -- I did steal the small black material from the top of the new mic just like you did. My wife told me it was very clear and not muffled, just a little subdued. I need to flip places with my wife and listen to it myself. BTW, my great-great-great grandfather was from Edinburgh. I have an original multi-volume set of "The History of the World" he brought over from Scotland and carried in the saddle bags of his horse into Kentucky in the very early 19th Century. They are full of handwritten family history notes from the time.

Last edited by JustinCase; 01-23-2023 at 08:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request