Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2023, 02:07 PM
dph928
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ishmclaughlin
just wanted to come back to this - for the few of us that haven't been able to buy one of these units yet - where is the best place to purchase one today?
would really love some help here so I can get it shipped and installed ASAP.
thanks!
ish
teile.com rosepassion.com eurospares.co.uk
Old 01-22-2023, 02:16 PM
amusselw
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by daddyscar
Got mine from Gaudin too and installed it yesterday. I'm not going to get the nav sd because I use waze. Love how pushing the nav button pulls up waze. Do you have to manually turn off the pcm unit? Mine doesn't turn off when I turn the car off.
No, mine turns on/off with the car. The only weird thing for me so far is that the time synchronization hasn’t worked yet. I’m not sure if the RBDS doesn’t have a good enough signal here in Hawaii or if my GPS antenna won’t work without the Nav SD card (mine is installed on top of the shelf on the unit).
The following users liked this post:
daddyscar (01-22-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 02:18 PM
dph928
Instructor

Originally Posted by beebman
@dph928 I had a quick look at the android options, but wasn’t sure what I was messing with. No real change as nothing seemed to affect the media box inputs. I think I’ve exhausted options now, so have put the car back together and have installed the media box in the glove box as is. Hopefully Porsche will release an update which will enable the box🤞Thanks for all your help and suggestions🙂
shaun
Cheers Shaun. I may have a mess around when mine arrives. I think the usb menu is maybe just for testing rather than actual config changes. I did wonder if changing usb0, usb1 and usb2 to “host” would enable the rear usb ports (but the the read / write buttons make me think it’s just a test option). Interesting it shows three in that menu.
Old 01-22-2023, 02:22 PM
dph928
Instructor

Originally Posted by amusselw
No, mine turns on/off with the car. The only weird thing for me so far is that the time synchronization hasn’t worked yet. I’m not sure if the RBDS doesn’t have a good enough signal here in Hawaii or if my GPS antenna won’t work without the Nav SD card (mine is installed on top of the shelf on the unit).
You can choose whether it uses RDS or GPS or manually.
Old 01-22-2023, 02:29 PM
dph928
Instructor

Originally Posted by daddyscar
Got mine from Gaudin too and installed it yesterday. I'm not going to get the nav sd because I use waze. Love how pushing the nav button pulls up waze. Do you have to manually turn off the pcm unit? Mine doesn't turn off when I turn the car off.
Set standby time in system to off.
daddyscar (01-22-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 02:30 PM
ishmclaughlin
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

know of any that are US-based?

to those that bought from Gaudin, do they still have inventory available? I am able to add to cart on the site but don't want to be stuck waiting a few months...
Old 01-22-2023, 02:31 PM
beebman
Track Day

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dph928
Cheers Shaun. I may have a mess around when mine arrives. I think the usb menu is maybe just for testing rather than actual config changes. I did wonder if changing usb0, usb1 and usb2 to “host” would enable the rear usb ports (but the the read / write buttons make me think it’s just a test option). Interesting it shows three in that menu.
I was thinking that too, but it’s probably the sd card slot for the sat nav. That would explain 3 usb’s.
dph928 (01-22-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 02:42 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,105 Likes on 2,124 Posts

Originally Posted by ishmclaughlin
know of any that are US-based?

to those that bought from Gaudin, do they still have inventory available? I am able to add to cart on the site but don't want to be stuck waiting a few months...
I'd send Gaudin an email. They responded very quickly to me and after they confirmed they had them in stock, I ordered. I received it but am waiting on the SD card, as mentioned they're backordered from Germany.
Old 01-22-2023, 02:56 PM
dph928
Instructor

Originally Posted by beebman
I was thinking that too, but it’s probably the sd card slot for the sat nav. That would explain 3 usb’s.
In which case it’s a firmware change, if the board is capable. Probably a lost cause. It was worth a try though. Pretty happy with the unit either way, cheers for all the info and collaboration from everyone. That’s me signing off now on this project :-)

Last edited by dph928; 01-22-2023 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-22-2023, 03:25 PM
Kieley
7th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Finding PCCM

I got mine at Porsche Ontario CA. Last week they had 8 or 10. Porsche Palm Springs had them in stock as well.
Old 01-22-2023, 03:28 PM
ishmclaughlin
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bxstr
I'd send Gaudin an email. They responded very quickly to me and after they confirmed they had them in stock, I ordered. I received it but am waiting on the SD card, as mentioned they're backordered from Germany.
just did, thanks!
Old 01-22-2023, 03:36 PM
veloaudio2
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone hear back from Suncoast? I put my name in the waitlist but haven’t heard anything. Wondering if I just order from someone else and cancel my waitlist
Old 01-22-2023, 04:20 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by veloaudio2
Anyone hear back from Suncoast? I put my name in the waitlist but haven’t heard anything. Wondering if I just order from someone else and cancel my waitlist
Since they're not a Porsche classic dealer, my guess is they're only going to be provided the three units like all other non Porsche classic dealers. I had my name on the waitlist with them too.
Old 01-22-2023, 04:25 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Question: for someone like me that doesn't have Bose, has the CDR24 (no PCM), but does have the amp in the front trunk that is associated with the Sound Package Plus, are all components of the PCCM Plus needed? I've been trying to follow along which items shouldn't be installed. I think I need everything, including the fiber optic loop? I also don't think there's harm in installing everything.
Old 01-22-2023, 04:37 PM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

I have found the external mic is definitely the way to go for making calls when driving. Tested at 70mph on grooved concrete highway (i.e. lots of road noise) and my wife could hear me fine to carry on a conversation. It wasn’t perfect but it was good enough. In the same scenario the internal mic was breaking up and not capturing much of what I was saying. I installed my mic along the headliner trim between the A pillar and B pillar by my head. Ran the wire under the dash and then in between the front window and A pillar trim. Ran it between headliner and trim to just about even with my head. It is discrete enough since this isn’t normally in your field of sight when sitting in the car. This is the closest mounting spot to your mouth in the car. If you don’t like the steering wheel location or the overhead map light location you should try this one.

I have also found the ring volume through the system is controlled by your actual ring volume on your phone. My phone ring volume (iPhone 14) is usually close to max. When getting a call in the car it was way too loud. Lowering the ring volume on the phone to a little lower than 50% made the ring notification much more tolerable when receiving a call. I couldn’t find a inbound master ring volume setting in the PCCM+.

Regards

Last edited by csmab; 01-22-2023 at 05:01 PM.
defunct_neurons (08-11-2023)

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request