Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2023, 12:22 AM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

GIG, I will try the included external mic before butchering the connector for a swap to a different mic. I just assumed since several have said the external mic was junk that I would probably be looking for a different solution.

Regards
Old 01-21-2023, 12:36 AM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Received 601 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanla997
The camera installed was a redeen lip cam. I'll have to get a picture up later. It's very discrete and hardly noticeable from the back of the car. I do a lot of work on my car, but I am not skilled with electronic installations. I asked the shop owner what he did and he said it was complicated. They worked on the car for an entire day before they figured it out. He said that he had to find another pin connection for the back of the unit since it didn't have one. I realize this is probably not very helpful and can try getting more information.

The camera works perfectly. It interrupts whatever is playing on the PCCM when the car is put into reverse. Music is muted but still audible when you're reversing.

I have no white noise at all.

I have to admit, I am disappointed with the internal mic. I did a bunch of testing with the external versus internal mic. I may wind up going back to the external mic. Voice quality is quite muted.
I’ve been semi following this thread with interest. To be clear, this is the first I’ve heard of anybody getting a back up cam to work. So with some manipulation we can get back up cam? And it seems like we might have a solution to get wireless CarPlay in the works too. If that’s the case, say no more. I’m sold and it will most certainly go on the mod list.
The following users liked this post:
rwintheiser (01-21-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 12:40 AM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 294 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by fritzcurtis
If you go into the map itself, touch the bottom right corner to get into settings. Go to About, next touch Content, next touch Maps. Hope your state exists. As Steve mentioned, they are listed alphabetical, and every state after New York is missing.
Thanks, I was able to find it after having another look. Unfortunately I confirmed that my SD card also stops at New York alphabetically. I tried to pull up my Dad's address and zip code in Vermont, and no dice. I'm wondering if it's the SD cards (especially since you were able to find all of the states when you loaded the SD card into a PC) or if it is a firmware issue on the PCCM+ itself. Please let us know if Porsche Grapevine can help with an answer. I'll ask around as well.

Originally Posted by fritzcurtis
GIG. The satellite info on your gps strength is located in a section in the maps area called Usefull Info. Touch that area and the last item is GPS strength
Perfect. I was able to find it. It looks like my A pillar location is suitable for reliable reception, even sitting in my garage.

I think it was asked earlier, but I confirmed that the turn-by-turn from the Nav showed up in my instrument cluster, as did the song I was playing via bluetooth.

I still need to mess with the individual settings menu a bit more, as I couldn't get the climate memory to work (even though I probably wouldn't use that). Does the engine need to be running, or can the ignition be on in order to confirm the individual settings selections? I'm also curious if I can turn off my daytime running lights but won't know until I start the car next.

Last edited by G.I.G.; 01-21-2023 at 12:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
myw (01-21-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 04:53 AM
dph928
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
Thanks, I was able to find it after having another look. Unfortunately I confirmed that my SD card also stops at New York alphabetically. I tried to pull up my Dad's address and zip code in Vermont, and no dice. I'm wondering if it's the SD cards (especially since you were able to find all of the states when you loaded the SD card into a PC) or if it is a firmware issue on the PCCM+ itself. Please let us know if Porsche Grapevine can help with an answer. I'll ask around as well.

That looks like the kind of issue you get when you put in a card that’s too big for the hardware to read. If it’s not a hardware issue then it’s likely to be firmware (or a configured limit). I’ll have a look to see if the same is happening with Europe maps.

If this is the case, perhaps removing some maps temporarily for areas you won’t go would help (might be worth making a copy and messing with the copy). The unit may be using metadata rather than the filename or the order stored on the SD, which is possibly why renaming didn’t help.

Re signal. It’s more reflections that impact accuracy if you have any obstacles above the receiver. I’m not sure that’d show up in the signal strength/accuracy measure on the unit and you won’t really know until you start using it. I’m sure that the pillar is fine though. I’m not so sure about the tray with the head unit wires above and the chrono clock above, but if it works, all good!

Last edited by dph928; 01-21-2023 at 06:00 AM.
Old 01-21-2023, 08:42 AM
medicus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Carfan1
Okay, now I know what you mean by your USB flat cable. But all due respect, that's not a real alternative to the socket on the back, is it?
Old 01-21-2023, 09:04 AM
Carrera01
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Finally, installed my PCCM+ today and at the moment have AM/FM and DAB working well. Installed the external mic in the FGP position and GPS antenna on the shelf next to the control unit. Unfortunately, was unable to test the GPS as the SD card Porsche provided was twice the width of the SD card slot on the front! They must have provided the Cayenne one incorrectly??. A trip back to the Porsche dealership on Mon morning is planned. Also, some of the locking cams, removing the old PCM popped out and my question is are folks locking their new PCCM+ units the same way including the screw in the side? and does anyone have experience putting those CAMS back in?
Old 01-21-2023, 09:28 AM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by dph928
Re signal. It’s more reflections that impact accuracy if you have any obstacles above the receiver. I’m not sure that’d show up in the signal strength/accuracy measure on the unit and you won’t really know until you start using it. I’m sure that the pillar is fine though. I’m not so sure about the tray with the head unit wires above and the chrono clock above, but if it works, all good!
Just as a cautionary story, when I added the Cayenne XM/Sirius module to my PCM 2.1 years ago, I carefully followed the prevailing wisdom about where to put my Sirius antenna under the plastic cowl. It did not work well for me. So, I got another magnetic antenna with a very long lead and tried it instead in all sorts of positions around the my C2S Cab, most of them no better. But one of them stood out -- to top of the windscreen frame on the outside. Recognizing that this is no worse visually than the external factory Sirius/XM box on the 997.2s, I painted the antenna to match my car.

I deduced later that the reason the usual Sirius/XM antenna mount (under the plastic cowl in front of the wipers) did not work consistently for me was because I lived in the mountains, which frequently blocked a significant number of satellites depending on exactly where you were driving. That same location probably worked quite well for most people living in flatter areas of the country.

The moral is that a satellite location that works well for many people may be unsuitable for others, depending on the circumstances of your geography.

All that said, I never had any trouble with the GPS antenna in my phone working anywhere, even in the mountains, so I suspect the GPS signal is far more robust that the Sirius/XM signal. So, I am thinking about mounting it under the plastic cowl, right next to my (unused) Sirius/XM antenna, or in my A-pillar (like FGP show). I'm still a little nervous about potentially reducing accuracy in the mountains. I am pretty sure the tray idea will work fine, but not so certain it will work as well under all circumstances and I do *not* want to go back in there at a later time to do it all over again. "Buy the best and cry once!"

P.S. If I ever have to have my cabriolet top redone, I plan to bury another Sirius/XM antenna in the plastic lattice of the front section of the top under the canvas. I don't think it's possible to get a better location for any antenna than that on a cab.
Old 01-21-2023, 10:01 AM
maxw
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

Saw this in the manual referencing the camera FYI:

Reference is from page 34 of the operating manual you can download here:
https://www.porsche.com/internationa.../pccm/manuals/
The following 2 users liked this post by maxw:
snowtx1 (01-30-2023), Spastblast (01-24-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 10:28 AM
Carfan1
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by maxw
I'm curios to see a picture of what this looks like with the flat cable if you're able to share.

Regarding that error - I wouldn't think it would have anything to do with the PCCM Plus. Perhaps your stereo guy did something while installing. Would search that error message here on Rennlist and see if other threads focused on that issue.. Just guessing here but may just want to try popping the headlights out and and back in - pretty easy to do - just to see if somehow their connections got loose.
Originally Posted by medicus
Okay, now I know what you mean by your USB flat cable. But all due respect, that's not a real alternative to the socket on the back, is it?
It is a workable one. No cord dangling and you just get in the car and go. I never suggested that it would be everyone's solution but it is an option that works and I made sure to post because there were those on the site that said it wouldn't work.
The following 3 users liked this post by Carfan1:
kimchee411 (01-21-2023), medicus (01-21-2023), myw (01-21-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 10:56 AM
Bavarian 997
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

@Carfan1 After installing the flat USB cable is there a noticeably larger gap between the PCCM and the HVAC module?
Old 01-21-2023, 11:50 AM
medicus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Carfan1
It is a workable one. No cord dangling and you just get in the car and go. I never suggested that it would be everyone's solution but it is an option that works and I made sure to post because there were those on the site that said it wouldn't work.
You are right, if it works, all good!
Old 01-21-2023, 11:57 AM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 294 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by dph928
That looks like the kind of issue you get when you put in a card that’s too big for the hardware to read. If it’s not a hardware issue then it’s likely to be firmware (or a configured limit). I’ll have a look to see if the same is happening with Europe maps.

If this is the case, perhaps removing some maps temporarily for areas you won’t go would help (might be worth making a copy and messing with the copy). The unit may be using metadata rather than the filename or the order stored on the SD, which is possibly why renaming didn’t help.
I suspect the number of maps and the overall data size over exceeds the storage capacity of the microSD. I know we live in a time with virtually unlimited cloud and hard drive storage, but I'm old enough to remember the days where you could easily exceed the capacity of an external data storage source (floppy disk, CD, etc.). I suspect they go to load the maps wherever they are produced not realizing that the file sizes exceed the storage capacity on the microSD. At least that is my best guess.

Originally Posted by Carrera01
Finally, installed my PCCM+ today and at the moment have AM/FM and DAB working well. Installed the external mic in the FGP position and GPS antenna on the shelf next to the control unit. Unfortunately, was unable to test the GPS as the SD card Porsche provided was twice the width of the SD card slot on the front! They must have provided the Cayenne one incorrectly??. A trip back to the Porsche dealership on Mon morning is planned. Also, some of the locking cams, removing the old PCM popped out and my question is are folks locking their new PCCM+ units the same way including the screw in the side? and does anyone have experience putting those CAMS back in?
You have the correct SD card, and I had the same initial reaction when I opened the package and held the SD card up to my PCCM+. If you look closely, there is a way to open up the larger portion of the SD card, exposing the smaller Micro SD card that fits our cars. I suspect the larger case is for cars with a different or larger SD card slot. As long as there are two pictures of a PCCM+ on the package, one for the Cayenne, and one for the 997.1/987.1, you have the correct SD card.
Old 01-21-2023, 01:43 PM
beebman
Track Day

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Media Box - sort of working

Hi all, got the 996 Media Box today and have just tested it. Slightly disappointing news as it only partially works. The input labelled phone works for usb and charging but not CarPlay. The inputs labelled usb and aux don’t work at all. I tried running to auto config, but there was no difference. It seems that it may be firmware restricting access, but can’t be sure. Maybe Porsche will release and update🤞 I know people were hoping this would work fully, but at least it’s the extra usb port, just a shame it doesn’t support CarPlay🙁
shaun

Last edited by beebman; 01-21-2023 at 01:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by beebman:
myw (01-21-2023), signde (01-21-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 01:48 PM
dph928
Instructor

Originally Posted by beebman
Hi all, got the 996 Media Box today and have just tested it. Slightly disappointing news as it only partially works. The input labelled phone works for usb and charging but not CarPlay. The inputs labelled usb and aux don’t work at all. I tried running to auto config, but there was no difference. It seems that it may be firmware restricting access, but can’t be sure. Maybe Porsche will release and update🤞 I know people were hoping this would work fully, but at least it’s the extra usb port, just a shame it doesn’t support CarPlay🙁
shaun

Damn, that’s disappointing. Thanks for updating everyone @beebman appreciated. I may hang on to it on the off chance for now.

Gonna accept it as it is though for now. I’ve a short usb I can connect my phone with while it’s in the charger, if I want to use CarPlay.

Last edited by dph928; 01-21-2023 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-21-2023, 01:56 PM
dph928
Instructor

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
I suspect the number of maps and the overall data size over exceeds the storage capacity of the microSD.
If that’s the case I think the files would show with a size of zero on your computer OR if you try copying them, it will say if the files are corrupted (i.e. showing in the file system but not really there). I think it’s worth a shot copying the whole SD to another (for safety) and removing some of the maps (from the copy). I also did a search re issues with maps on other android head units. There is mention of maximum size for individual map files. I doubt it’s that though.

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request