Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Where did you get that USB cable?
Old 01-30-2023, 02:08 AM
brudomen
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by amusselw

Thank you to everyone who detailed their install! I was able to get through mine without too much of an ordeal. I went with Gaudin for $1475; the Nav SD card is on backorder from Germany so I can’t even pull up anything with maps yet.
Where did you get this USB chord?
Old 01-30-2023, 06:06 AM
PowerFlower
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by maxw
Seems like if you're non-Bose, you don't need to do anything with this part of the kit that mounts on the top bracket. Everything seems to work fine on my non-Bose system with this removed:
If that's the case, then there is actually one thing you need to do with it... sell it to someone who is installing a non-Porsche aftermarket unit in a Bose car

The separate unit (given the part number) is listed for around $175, which is a steal for anyone who needs analog outputs to feed into the Bose MOST optical system. Cheaper than most alternatives and supports four channels (with fading).

You'd have to figure out the wiring, of course, but I'd expect that to be simple -- a pair each for power, front, and rear.

Last edited by PowerFlower; 01-30-2023 at 06:08 AM.
Old 01-30-2023, 08:26 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven C.
Mine sets the car settings without the engine running. In the personal settings you can chose to unlock just the driver or both doors with the key.
I know where the settings are, the thing is the door locker now changed to driver door only
and it won't turn off
the Daylight Running Lights, i see no difference whatever the settings or if i'm doing it with running engine or not.

Do you have DRL control on yours? Does it change anything in the way your lights work?
Old 01-30-2023, 08:28 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dph928
Just to close this off for everyone. I received the media unit too. Like @beebman the usb labelled “phone” worked for charging and usb media. CarPlay does not work and the other usb socket does not work, nor does the aux.

I expect the hardware could work with the right firmware but I fiddled with every setting I could find from the hidden menus and in the t3launcher. No changes had an affect. Nice to know you can’t do damage fiddling around as long as you change each setting back as you go.

I also had an issue removing the unit again as mentioned above. One of the spring clips had jumped out of place (top right) and was jammed. I had to bend it up and then fix after removing. Quality maybe not quite so good there.

That’s me finished with the project, I’m not planning to do any more and pleased with the outcome.
Thanks for all the info on here, it’s been really helpful. I hope my contribution has help some too. All the best. Dan
Media unit, you mean the PCCM 996 USB box?? plugged in on the back works for MP3 and charging??

Old 01-30-2023, 08:56 AM
dph928
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by svandamme
Media unit, you mean the PCCM 996 USB box?? plugged in on the back works for MP3 and charging??
Correct. Only from the socket marked “phone” if you use the 996 media box. Other two ports do nothing.

If you don’t want redundant sockets, you can achieve the same by buying a Subaru USB cable (it has that brown plug on it). But you have to connect the +ve wire from that cable to the pin 4 of the 10 pin socket if you want to do that (otherwise there is no power). I had bought that cable and a 10 pin socket, which I would have gone ahead with if CarPlay worked. I’m not bothered though about usb for media or charging in glovebox, so abandoned that. Beebman made a diagram of the 10 pin above. I also provided a link to the Subaru cable higher up (much cheaper than buying the media box and no redundant ports. I bought the media unit to see if there was anything else inside). I’d guess with the right firmware and tweaks to the Porsche Android skin (or tricking it with firmware it’s a 996 unit, A2 hardware) the media box would work. I would doubt either will become available. Cheers.

Last edited by dph928; 01-30-2023 at 09:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
svandamme (01-30-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 09:33 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PowerFlower
If that's the case, then there is actually one thing you need to do with it... sell it to someone who is installing a non-Porsche aftermarket unit in a Bose car

The separate unit (given the part number) is listed for around $175, which is a steal for anyone who needs analog outputs to feed into the Bose MOST optical system. Cheaper than most alternatives and supports four channels (with fading).

You'd have to figure out the wiring, of course, but I'd expect that to be simple -- a pair each for power, front, and rear.

there is also the ASK amplifier, that is non Bose, but also used fiber optics channel to the amp in the frunk.
I'm pretty sure that anybody who had PCM2.1 will need the most adapter as PCM was a bundle , you couldn't get PCM without the ASK or BOSE amp (would need somebody who did actual ordering 15 years ago to confirm that)

my guess: only those with CDR24 won't have ASK or BOSE amp in the frunk
Old 01-30-2023, 09:37 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

We need to centralize all the knowledge, Porsche's docs are crap and all the hacks and info are scattered over this page, its nearly impossible to keep track.

I'll create a new thread titled PCCM DIY knowledge base
copy my pelican parts article.. to Renlistt (Pelican is zero response for wasserpumpers)
and keep it updated.

Keep chatting here, but If you need something added, let me know there (and remove post after it was added to keep it clean)

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post18600880

Last edited by svandamme; 01-30-2023 at 09:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TheActualDave (06-04-2024)
Old 01-30-2023, 10:36 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,105 Likes on 2,124 Posts

We need to centralize all the knowledge, Porsche's docs are crap and all the hacks and info are scattered over this page, its nearly impossible to keep track.

I'll create a new thread titled PCCM DIY knowledge base
copy my pelican parts article.. to Renlistt (Pelican is zero response for wasserpumpers)
and keep it updated.

Keep chatting here, but If you need something added, let me know there (and remove post after it was added to keep it clean)

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post18600880
Thanks so much for doing this. It’ll make things a lot easier going forward.

you may want to add that the FM antennas are not included for US PCCM Plus and also add some info around certain states not showing up on the map. Hopefully there’s a resolution for this at some point.

To keep the thread clean, I wonder if you can lock it and then unlock it when you want to edit it. I think that’s possible in the for sale section, not sure about normal sections.
Old 01-30-2023, 11:52 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Thanks so much for doing this. It’ll make things a lot easier going forward.

you may want to add that the FM antennas are not included for US PCCM Plus and also add some info around certain states not showing up on the map. Hopefully there’s a resolution for this at some point.

To keep the thread clean, I wonder if you can lock it and then unlock it when you want to edit it. I think that’s possible in the for sale section, not sure about normal sections.

Could you clarify FM antennas not included?
do you mean the signal boosters?, because the antennas are in the windshield?

I suspect that may be because in Europe we have DAB+
FM is being discontinued here, so we have no choice but to go with DAB and that needs new signal boosters

and you guys instead get Sirius?

I've made updates for both, PM me when there is news on the Navigation for those problem states
If somebody could get me a picture of the Sirius XM cables, I can add it to the article

Last edited by svandamme; 01-30-2023 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-30-2023, 12:02 PM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Can somebody tell me what connector is used to connect to the FM signa boosters?
i broke the flimsy connector trying to source a replacement connector, but really not sure what I need.

Its the one that clips on this one , Not sure sure if that is male or female.. cause the cable clips IN that, but it has a pin as well?

Old 01-30-2023, 12:12 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Could you clarify FM antennas not included?
do you mean the signal boosters?, because the antennas are in the windshield?

I suspect that may be because in Europe we have DAB+
FM is being discontinued here, so we have no choice but to go with DAB and that needs new signal boosters

and you guys instead get Sirius?

I've made updates for both, PM me when there is news on the Navigation for those problem states
If somebody could get me a picture of the Sirius XM cables, I can add it to the article
Correct I meant the signal boosters in the a pillar. We don’t have those in the US.

We have the option for Sirius, I believe. But it requires an additional antenna, not included with PCCM Plus, standard.
Old 01-30-2023, 12:21 PM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Correct I meant the signal boosters in the a pillar. We don’t have those in the US.

We have the option for Sirius, I believe. But it requires an additional antenna, not included with PCCM Plus, standard.
Hold on,
the Sirius box is included, but no sirius antenna??? that kinda sucks

I don't know Sirus ,we dont have it her in Europe, So if you wantr me to add something to the articule, I'de prefer somebody knowledgable write it
Q&A form :
Q Is stuff included for Serius?
A Yes but no but you need this thingiemagic

Whoever writes it, i'll put your name with it for credit and also I wouldn't be able to answer questios on that particular topic
Old 01-30-2023, 12:50 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Hold on,
the Sirius box is included, but no sirius antenna??? that kinda sucks

I don't know Sirus ,we dont have it her in Europe, So if you wantr me to add something to the articule, I'de prefer somebody knowledgable write it
Q&A form :
Q Is stuff included for Serius?
A Yes but no but you need this thingiemagic

Whoever writes it, i'll put your name with it for credit and also I wouldn't be able to answer questios on that particular topic
I haven't installed my PCCM Plus yet so I don't have experience with the Sirius antenna, but I can say that the antenna is not included standard. So you'd need to buy that along with the subscription. Everything else should be ready to accept Sirius.
Old 01-30-2023, 01:18 PM
PowerFlower
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dph928
Just to close this off for everyone. I received the media unit too. Like @beebman the usb labelled “phone” worked for charging and usb media. CarPlay does not work and the other usb socket does not work, nor does the aux.

I expect the hardware could work with the right firmware but I fiddled with every setting I could find from the hidden menus and in the t3launcher. No changes had an affect. Nice to know you can’t do damage fiddling around as long as you change each setting back as you go.
This suggests the rear pins for USB don't support USB device mode (which requires a handshake and a switch between the ID and GND pins). Normally, the phone would connect as a device to the PCCM as a host (which means the head unit can access the files on the phone as a peripheral). For Carplay, it has to switch this around -- the PCCM becomes a device to the phone as a host, and the phone controls the PCCM.

It might still just be an issue with the USB box, because cables for Carplay need to support USB OTG. Though the USB box obviously supports this on the 996/986 PCCM, so that seems unlikely. But I still have a glimmer of hope that another cable (maybe the Subaru one?) would suddenly enable this.

Tl:dr; this is not so much a firmware or settings question, it's hardware related, from both the port and the cable, because it needs to be able to swap pin function.

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request