Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2023, 09:19 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 964hans
There are four hex screws, two on left and two on right side.
You must turn them (apply little force!) and now I am not quite sure, CW or CCW.

Regards
Hans
I pulled out my old PCM to see how it only takes a quarter turn to turn the brackets down. I'm still having problems with mine and ran out of time.
Old 01-28-2023, 09:27 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by svandamme
eeh?? just push the 4 retention clips, no hex required and mine came out just like that.
The top clip is visible in your picture
I never tightned any hex screws on install, it sits snug, and doesn't move?
I didn't either. I just slid my new one in knowing I had to pull it back out to finish the fm antenna and now check the canbus connection. I only screwed down the one screw on the right. When I tried to remove it yesterday, it would not slide out after unscrewing the one screw. I looked at my old PCM to see how the hex screw pulled the retention clips on/off. I didn't see the hex screws on the pccm+ working properly and ran out of time. I tried just pushing the four retention clips and pulling the unit out but I'm not an octopus, lol. Will have to try again.
The following users liked this post:
Summerjack (03-04-2023)
Old 01-28-2023, 10:00 AM
dph928
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by dph928
In which case it’s a firmware change, if the board is capable. Probably a lost cause. It was worth a try though. Pretty happy with the unit either way, cheers for all the info and collaboration from everyone. That’s me signing off now on this project :-)
Just to close this off for everyone. I received the media unit too. Like @beebman the usb labelled “phone” worked for charging and usb media. CarPlay does not work and the other usb socket does not work, nor does the aux.

I expect the hardware could work with the right firmware but I fiddled with every setting I could find from the hidden menus and in the t3launcher. No changes had an affect. Nice to know you can’t do damage fiddling around as long as you change each setting back as you go.

I also had an issue removing the unit again as mentioned above. One of the spring clips had jumped out of place (top right) and was jammed. I had to bend it up and then fix after removing. Quality maybe not quite so good there.

That’s me finished with the project, I’m not planning to do any more and pleased with the outcome.
Thanks for all the info on here, it’s been really helpful. I hope my contribution has help some too. All the best. Dan

Last edited by dph928; 01-28-2023 at 10:10 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by dph928:
beebman (01-28-2023), Carfan1 (01-28-2023), medicus (01-28-2023)
Old 01-28-2023, 10:27 AM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by daddyscar
I didn't either. I just slid my new one in knowing I had to pull it back out to finish the fm antenna and now check the canbus connection. I only screwed down the one screw on the right. When I tried to remove it yesterday, it would not slide out after unscrewing the one screw. I looked at my old PCM to see how the hex screw pulled the retention clips on/off. I didn't see the hex screws on the pccm+ working properly and ran out of time. I tried just pushing the four retention clips and pulling the unit out but I'm not an octopus, lol. Will have to try again.
First of all, there are no cams to turn or screws to take out. You have to remove the side panels (again), and if you have the Bose system and a cab, the subwoofer (again). Then you press in the four silver clips on the end nearest the front of the unit. These clips are actually spring-loaded levers, so the closer to the end behind the front of the unit, the more leverage you have and the (slightly) easier it is. The top left one must be done almost entirely by feel as it is up high enough to be almost out of sight.

Obviously, you cannot press and hold all four levers/clips in at the same time, so I worked one side loose and pulled it out past the locking point, then went over to release the other side the same way. I found it easier to start on the left (harder) side first, then carefully release the right (easier) side. Some creative verbal persuasion is useful here, so don't hold back. It's definitely fiddly. My left index finger was a little sore for a while after.

Like everything else in life, once you've successfully done it, it's easier, making you wonder why you found it so difficult the first time. But it is difficult the first time.

Don't forget to protect your console with a heavy towel or blanket so you have a place to land the unit after it is out. I put my car in second gear (i.e., pulled back and in gear) and take off my parking brake first, then I lay a doubled-up packing blanket over everything. From then on, no worries.
The following 2 users liked this post by JustinCase:
daddyscar (01-30-2023), medicus (01-28-2023)
Old 01-28-2023, 12:38 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by dph928
That’s me finished with the project, I’m not planning to do any more and pleased with the outcome.
Thanks for all the info on here, it’s been really helpful. I hope my contribution has help some too. All the best. Dan
Thanks for all of your experimentation and contributions to this thread! I'm in a similar situation, and am pleased with my install and the functionality of the PCCM+ as is. I was never as concerned about the lack of wireless CarPlay and Android Auto as others, and while the USB outlet on the front isn't ideal, I can live with it for situations where I am using CarPlay, as I usually just listen to the music on my phone via bluetooth and leave the Maps screen up as a visual reference.

Regarding the backup camera, it sounds like there is still a possibility to get it to work for those of us with a manual transmission. I would give that project another try if someone can provide step-by-step instructions to get it to work, but I can also live without it.

I'll report back after I have a chance to get my car out for a drive with Nav reliability and some experimentation with the individual settings menu.
The following 4 users liked this post by G.I.G.:
Carfan1 (01-28-2023), dph928 (01-28-2023), medicus (01-28-2023), svandamme (01-29-2023)
Old 01-28-2023, 02:29 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
I'll report back after I have a chance to get my car out for a drive with Nav reliability and some experimentation with the individual settings menu.
In your travels, you will need to necessarily avoid Tennessee and certain states like Virginia, Ohio, West Virginia, Oklahoma, Texas, etc., etc., as they do not show up on the USA/CAN PCG 64250400 chip dated 02/21. You can clearly see where the problems are by sizing your map to include the entire continent -- all the considerable blank areas are completely missing. Ironically, my actual Tennessee position coordinates (arrow) still show up in the midst of apparent wilderness in my correct location, but I am completely unable to plot a course from here to anywhere, even Colorado. There literally are no roads in Tennessee on the map.

As I am sure others have, I reported this problem to the dealer, who in turn reported it in detail to Porsche Classic. If it is a simple data problem, I would expect a relatively quick fix.

But given other anomalies with this unit: (a) certain USB drives will not work at all (size or formatting?), (b) on USB drives that do work, certain albums will not load, (c) USB album art does not appear to load at all, (d) Sirius XM channel logos load *extremely* slowly (as in *hours*), if at all, and with no text labels, you have to memorize or guess the channels -- it kind of feels like a computer that is low on memory could be causing some or all of the above problems? It might be possible that there is nothing wrong with the data on the SD card, just an algorithm that loads in alphabetical order and not enough memory to load past New York.

If it actually is a hardware problem, Porsche may be looking at a full recall. Fingers crossed that it's data only!

Last edited by JustinCase; 01-28-2023 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-28-2023, 02:41 PM
funcars
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinCase
(c) USB album art does not appear to load at all
Can't speak to the other USB problems you list - I haven't personally seen them, even with a 128GB usb stick - but all of my USB album art appears on the screen. The artwork needs to be embedded in the tag and not an external file like folder.jpg.
Old 01-28-2023, 03:05 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Originally Posted by funcars
Can't speak to the other USB problems you list - I haven't personally seen them, even with a 128GB usb stick - but all of my USB album art appears on the screen. The artwork needs to be embedded in the tag and not an external file like folder.jpg.
How does one embed the art in the tag? I am using the same USB sticks that work fine in my Macan and my Ford F150 including the art.
Old 01-28-2023, 03:43 PM
Kempa
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Atlanta availability & rear USB

Stopped in Porsche Perimeter last week and was told they do not have any and do not expect to have any until 2nd or possibly 3rd quarter. Another Rennlister told me they were available at Hennessy Porsche in Roswell/Alpharetta area. Stopped in today and they still had one. There was another guy with a Cayman picking one up. Not sure if they have any left but guy at parts counter indicated they had been getting a lot in.

Rear USB - my current setup is an alpine unit and a USB that runs to center console so that when I get in the car i plug in my phone and close the console - no temptation to play with phone at lights. I'd like a similar setup. I have a techy friend - I'm going to see what he can possibly do to unplug USB from the front send to a hub and then back to front and also to center console. I'll update if I'm successful.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kempa:
medicus (01-28-2023), Spastblast (01-29-2023)
Old 01-28-2023, 08:17 PM
funcars
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

How does one embed the art in the tag? I am using the same USB sticks that work fine in my Macan and my Ford F150 including the art.
Software like iTunes can when they rip. After ripping/encoding, tag editors have that option. Can't recommend anything specific as I haven't used them.
Old 01-28-2023, 08:32 PM
Carfan1
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
Thanks for all of your experimentation and contributions to this thread! I'm in a similar situation, and am pleased with my install and the functionality of the PCCM+ as is. I was never as concerned about the lack of wireless CarPlay and Android Auto as others, and while the USB outlet on the front isn't ideal, I can live with it for situations where I am using CarPlay, as I usually just listen to the music on my phone via bluetooth and leave the Maps screen up as a visual reference.

Regarding the backup camera, it sounds like there is still a possibility to get it to work for those of us with a manual transmission. I would give that project another try if someone can provide step-by-step instructions to get it to work, but I can also live without it.

If anyone figures it out, I'd be interested too.

My wireless adapter is working great as is and the reverse camera would be icing on the cake.
Old 01-29-2023, 05:50 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 81 Posts

its been discussed in detail in the thread.. mp3tag tools
Old 01-29-2023, 09:02 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,170 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Received my SD card in the mail yesterday from Gaudin which was backordered from Germany. Has a date on it of 7/1/22, so my guess is that any issues that others are experiencing with the SD card will still be present since they seem to have been made a while ago. Curious what Porsche Classic will say about it.
Old 01-29-2023, 09:58 AM
Carfan1
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

My map doesn't show either. I only got the SD card because I couldn't get the clock to synchronize without it. I use Android Auto everywhere I go. Hopefully they'll get this sorted out soon. Still loving my PCCM +
Old 01-29-2023, 10:03 AM
JustinCase
Racer

Originally Posted by Carfan1
My map doesn't show either. I only got the SD card because I couldn't get the clock to synchronize without it. I use Android Auto everywhere I go. Hopefully they'll get this sorted out soon. Still loving my PCCM +
"No Va," huh?

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request