Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A place to discuss all things ADM

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2022, 09:57 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,292 Likes on 2,111 Posts

@Targa32 is saying what @bayareanady on IG has been saying for years. You win by losing. He lets them make money off him by buying sometimes undesirable things to eventually get desirable things. Too many come in off the street having never bought anything from a particular brand or dealership, and want the hottest car that manufacturer has. Case in point, a 992 GT3RS or the 765LT.
The following 2 users liked this post by shrimp money:
AlexCeres (10-27-2022), Freddie Two Bs (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 01:04 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,970 Likes on 5,218 Posts

Originally Posted by raymort
Not worth it to you...but if someone wants to be first, they have the cash and don't care, and they may value time more than money, it's chump change to them.
Why does everyone want to project their valuation on others?

Maybe they have been working so hard all of their lives that they don't know their own kids, they have 3 ex-wives, they have a pace maker, but they have a gazillion dollars and want to have their dream car??

No, I'm not talking about Musk, but people like that...
Real talk for a minute.

I know of two people, personally, that paid a healthy 5 figure ADM -- one for a Porsche GT car and another one for a Ford Bronco.

Neither person cared about the money. They just wanted to have the car and drive. And neither bought them for investment purposes. The GT car owner has already put close to 7k miles and has two door dings. The Bronco is used as a camera vehicle for her company.

People here can bitch and moan about how spending X amount of money isn't worth it and blah blah and how people will regret paying ADM. But what people may not appreciate, at least consciously, is that there are those that do not blink at writing a check with an additional 50k tacked on. Why? Because they easily make that and more in a day. Yes, a day. For them, whatever ADM is tacked on is simply a rounding error, like the loose change we hoi polloi drop in the tip charge for our favorite baristas.
The following 4 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
AlexCeres (10-27-2022), Diablo Dude (11-02-2022), Peruna (10-27-2022), shrimp money (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 01:33 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,472 Likes on 2,547 Posts

Yeah, some people are really rich, but I bet the percentage of Porsche buyers making over $12 million a year is very low. Be real …
The following 2 users liked this post by Manifold:
WCGhost (10-27-2022), welikethetrack (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 02:29 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,970 Likes on 5,218 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Yeah, some people are really rich, but I bet the percentage of Porsche buyers making over $12 million a year is very low. Be real …
That's because the overall percentage of people making over 12M a year is very low to begin with.
The following users liked this post:
Diablo Dude (11-02-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 09:10 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,472 Likes on 2,547 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
That's because the overall percentage of people making over 12M a year is very low to begin with.
Obviously …
Old 10-27-2022, 09:22 AM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 317 Likes on 179 Posts

If I made 12M, I wouldnt give a rats *** about gt3 😂 Why bother when you can be buying all dream cars like 959 and etc
The following 4 users liked this post by Ascend:
G.Irish (10-29-2022), Manifold (10-27-2022), WCGhost (10-27-2022), welikethetrack (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 12:45 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,075 Likes on 2,329 Posts

Originally Posted by shrimp money
@Targa32 is saying what @bayareanady on IG has been saying for years. You win by losing. He lets them make money off him by buying sometimes undesirable things to eventually get desirable things. Too many come in off the street having never bought anything from a particular brand or dealership, and want the hottest car that manufacturer has. Case in point, a 992 GT3RS or the 765LT.
It's the Ferrari model, the good customers get all the new stuff first and the special cars.
shrimp money (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 12:47 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,075 Likes on 2,329 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Real talk for a minute.

I know of two people, personally, that paid a healthy 5 figure ADM -- one for a Porsche GT car and another one for a Ford Bronco.

Neither person cared about the money. They just wanted to have the car and drive. And neither bought them for investment purposes. The GT car owner has already put close to 7k miles and has two door dings. The Bronco is used as a camera vehicle for her company.

People here can bitch and moan about how spending X amount of money isn't worth it and blah blah and how people will regret paying ADM. But what people may not appreciate, at least consciously, is that there are those that do not blink at writing a check with an additional 50k tacked on. Why? Because they easily make that and more in a day. Yes, a day. For them, whatever ADM is tacked on is simply a rounding error, like the loose change we hoi polloi drop in the tip charge for our favorite baristas.
It's people like that who are contributing to the inflation problems that we are dealing with now. What the Fed is doing will continue to get more painful and those people will not be as free wheeling when it comes to paying whatever price to get a car that they wanted.
Old 10-27-2022, 03:09 PM
azzurri
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 95 Posts

I don’t care at all, except to the extent that it affects the ability to get one of these cars and the market price.

To the extent that I care, why do you care that I care? I’m just some guy on a forum.
Precisely. It enables bad behavior and furthers the extent of the seller to justify that from others/all.
WCGhost (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 04:10 PM
maroli
Three Wheelin'

Received 471 Likes on 271 Posts

The whole argument of 'well, rich people aren't affected by the downturn and hence prices won't come down much' seems to fly in the face of the argument that people made about rapid COVID price appreciation in the first place ("look at all the new millionaires!') and the fact that most wealthy people own a significant amount of assets which have all simultaneously taken a hit. That combined with the fact that a higher proportion of cars are financed now vs historically and the fact that Mannheim just reported the highest declining wholesale price segment within used cars was luxury cars means the entire high-end market is on shaky ground. Not a GT3-specific argument but clearly not immune. Yes, there are people with a net worth of $100mm+ who are still fantastically wealthy in this current environment but the proportion of those people who own GT3s is minimal. A GT3 owner typically doesn't have a Bugatti or private jet tucked away.
RealityGT (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 05:10 PM
WCGhost
Instructor

Received 173 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by maroli
The whole argument of 'well, rich people aren't affected by the downturn and hence prices won't come down much' seems to fly in the face of the argument that people made about rapid COVID price appreciation in the first place ("look at all the new millionaires!') and the fact that most wealthy people own a significant amount of assets which have all simultaneously taken a hit. That combined with the fact that a higher proportion of cars are financed now vs historically and the fact that Mannheim just reported the highest declining wholesale price segment within used cars was luxury cars means the entire high-end market is on shaky ground. Not a GT3-specific argument but clearly not immune. Yes, there are people with a net worth of $100mm+ who are still fantastically wealthy in this current environment but the proportion of those people who own GT3s is minimal. A GT3 owner typically doesn't have a Bugatti or private jet tucked away.
Do you happen to have a link to the Mannheim report or a snap shot? The Snapshot ipse dixit posted a week or so ago through Sep data made it seem like things were flat in the collector market? Is there a difference between looking up luxury car indexes vs. collector car indexes? If there is, I would assume the GT3 would be more collector than luxury, or is that assumption incorrect? That may be a reason for the discrepancy. I do think that prices are going down and not up, but the ones dropping the most had initial asking prices that were crazy.

SoCal Porsche Dealership 1- $153K over on touring, reduced this week by $20K
SoCal Porsche Dealership 2- $95K over on touring, reduced yesterday by $25K
Socal Dealership 1- I mentioned a broker was advertising a wing car for $35K over, it looks like it was sold after I posted on here and answered DMs about it, it had sat for months, so hopefully that helped someone on here.

Also, this auction ends in a day, color combo seems to be holding it back: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...gt3-touring-2/

Last edited by WCGhost; 10-27-2022 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-27-2022, 05:50 PM
maroli
Three Wheelin'

Received 471 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by WCGhost
Do you happen to have a link to the Mannheim report or a snap shot? The Snapshot ipse dixit posted a week or so ago through Sep data made it seem like things were flat in the collector market? Is there a difference between looking up luxury car indexes vs. collector car indexes? If there is, I would assume the GT3 would be more collector than luxury, or is that assumption incorrect? That may be a reason for the discrepancy. I do think that prices are going down and not up, but the ones dropping the most had initial asking prices that were crazy.

SoCal Porsche Dealership 1- $153K over on touring, reduced this week by $20K
SoCal Porsche Dealership 2- $95K over on touring, reduced yesterday by $25K
Socal Dealership 1- I mentioned a broker was advertising a wing car for $35K over, it looks like it was sold after I posted on here and answered DMs about it, it had sat for months, so hopefully that helped someone on here.

Also, this auction ends in a day, color combo seems to be holding it back: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...gt3-touring-2/
Here's the data I was referencing, don't have a Manheim account unfortunately but believe this is all based off their wholesale value index. I imagine the 'collector index' is a subset of 'luxury' which would probably include things like s classes which is certainly not collectible!

https://www.thedetroitbureau.com/202...t-to-continue/
https://publish.manheim.com/en/servi...lue-index.html
WCGhost (10-28-2022)
Old 10-28-2022, 01:54 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

I don’t care at all, except to the extent that it affects the ability to get one of these cars and the market price.

LOL
Old 10-28-2022, 08:46 PM
WCGhost
Instructor

Received 173 Likes on 75 Posts

Ended today at $300K ($82K over) Reserve not met, for a seemingly unpopular color combo based on comments. There were two bidders on this auction at the end, one of which has bid on 53 cars on the site. Seems odd since there are a few better examples up for sale now with much better color combos and $30K-$35K less, and can be had immediately.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...gt3-touring-2/

Last edited by WCGhost; 10-28-2022 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-28-2022, 09:01 PM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

Received 742 Likes on 305 Posts

I was offered a GT3 allocation with a $65,000 premium over msrp a week ago. I turned it down as I decided to take an allocation at msrp for the new 911-T.

And it was obvious from his demeanor that if I said $50,000 over I would likely have a GT3 on the way now. I am a good long term customer but at the same time I never asked for a GT3 allocation. This suggests that this dealer has run out of buyers willing to pay a large premium for an allocation.

The problem with the GT3 is the car is sort of useless - too pretty and expensive to drive on a track and too uncomfortable to drive for any longer distance on the road. Great for impressing the other members of your PCA Region at cars and coffee of course.

Plus the risk of losing $50,000 to $100,000 for a car that I would almost surely decide to sell 2,000 to 3,000 miles after I put it in my garage is a costly sports car status symbol.

the interior is identical to my son’s new base Carrera that cost him $110,000..

min fact ai am trading my 2022 GT4 with 2,500 miles into a dealer for their first allocation of the 911–T - and excited about having fun in this new driver’s model on country roads and mountain roads and the difference in hp and even suspension will not matter at all.

most of us drive legal fun roads more than on a Dedicated Track and those friends that drive on Track religiously buy an old Cayman or 911 and best the hell out of it and enjoy every minute driving without worrying about Rick chips in their $24,000 PTS+ paint job.

Quick Reply: A place to discuss all things ADM