992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A place to discuss all things ADM

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2022, 12:03 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,348 Likes on 2,475 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
Of course, this is by no means exclusive to Porsche.

You can make the case about the "hype machine" across just about any luxury brand item.
It's called marketing. And it's interesting to note that in the case of Porsche (and perhaps other German automakers) it seems to be working quite well given the following here.
The people that own 8 cars in their garage would probably be the first to admit that.
Regardless of ADM.
Nor really in my. case. I don't tend to cycle through cars quickly, and don't try to buy the latest and greatest. My favorite road car is my 997.1 C2S, which I bought used about a decade ago. Recently bought a 2010 M3 convertible because I wanted the old NA V8 engine and a convertible. Recently bought a new AMG GLS63 suv at MSRP because the wife wanted a big suv with the latest tech. None of these cars currently have much hype associated with them. I haven't really clamored to get the latest Porsche GT cars because we're happy with the 991 GT3 and 981 GT4 and am certainly not going to pay ADM.
Old 10-13-2022, 12:24 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,010 Posts

Of course, this is by no means exclusive to Porsche.

You can make the case about the "hype machine" across just about any luxury brand item.
It's called marketing. And it's interesting to note that in the case of Porsche (and perhaps other German automakers) it seems to be working quite well given the following here.
The people that own 8 cars in their garage would probably be the first to admit that.
Regardless of ADM.
‘I agree, I’m a ex revenue and marking guy lots of experience so I get the machine and I’ve hired Porsche engineering for projects they’re good. Ferrari, Mclaren really don’t market outside of F1 …….my point many here in the US just fall into I want that too because I saw the commercial. You would be amazed at the number of people that by GT cars and hate them because their too hash, thus my Dalmatian analogy. There’s no wrong or right answer here, I always say buy want you want it’s your cash …..I use all brands loyal to none unless they want to cut me a check.
Old 10-13-2022, 12:52 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
‘I agree, I’m a ex revenue and marking guy lots of experience so I get the machine and I’ve hired Porsche engineering for projects they’re good. Ferrari, Mclaren really don’t market outside of F1 …….my point many here in the US just fall into I want that too because I saw the commercial. You would be amazed at the number of people that by GT cars and hate them because their too hash, thus my Dalmatian analogy. There’s no wrong or right answer here, I always say buy want you want it’s your cash …..I use all brands loyal to none unless they want to cut me a check.
I would agree with much of what you've said above.

As someone that's been involved with a very high-volume animal shelter (San Jose, CA) I can tell you that in some cases it doesnt even come down to the hype of a movie like "1001 Dalmatians".

There were 23 million new pets adopted during Covid. My next door neighbor was one of these who actually bought an English Pointer from a breeder. Low and behold the dog has anxiety issues and will bark for hours on end whenever the owner leaves the house. I'm not really convinced the owner knew what they were getting into with a dog like this that needs to be run hard every day due to their activity level. - - - Sadly, many of the pets acquired during 2020-2021 are being "surrendered" back to the Shelters (which are already swamped and dont have enough resources as it is) as people have gone back to work. And in some cases, these pets are even being "dumped" by their owners. It's terribly sad and pathetic.

On another note, last night, I was reading the latest issue of Road & Track and came across the typical Tag Heuer watch ad.
I've had horrible luck with automatic Tag Heuer's and have literally sworn them off. Long story short, I'm at my local tap room and do a search on my phone for this particular watch.
I come across a video of Patrick Demsey piloting a Carrera while wearing a Tag Heuer Carrera X Porsche watch. As you can imagine, a very enticing video on a number of levels.

It's $7,000 and has the same yellow stitching on the leather band that was in my GT4.
I just hope it doesnt have an ADM.
I want one.

TAG Heuer Carrera x Porsche Calibre HEUER02 Automatic Men 44 mm - CBN2A1H.FC6512

Last edited by Diablo Dude; 10-13-2022 at 01:01 PM.
Old 10-13-2022, 12:59 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

I would agree with much of what you've said above.

As someone that's been involved with a very high-volume animal shelter (San Jose, CA) I can tell you that in some cases it doesnt even come down to the hype of a movie like "1001 Dalmatians".

There were 23 million new pets adopted during Covid. My next door neighbor was one of these who actually bought an English Pointer from a breeder. Low and behold the dog has anxiety issues and will bark for hours on end whenever the owner leaves the house. I'm not really convinced the owner knew what they were getting into with a dog like this that needs to be run hard every day due to their activity level. - - - Sadly, many of the pets acquired during 2020-2021 are being "surrendered" back to the Shelters (which are already swamped and dont have enough resources as it is) as people have gone back to work. And in some cases, these pets are even being "dumped" by their owners. It's terribly sad and pathetic.

On another note, last night, I was reading the latest issue of Road & Track and came across the typical Tag Heuer watch ad.
I've had horrible luck with automatic Tag Heuer's and have literally sworn them off. Long story short, I'm at my local tap room and do a search on my phone for this watch. I come across a video of Patrick Demsey piloting a Carrera while wearing a Tag Heuer Carrera X Porsche watch. A very enticing video on a number of levels.

It's $7,000 and has the same yellow stitching on the leather band that was in my GT4.
I want one.

TAG Heuer Carrera x Porsche Calibre HEUER02 Automatic Men 44 mm - CBN2A1H.FC6512
‘Yeah don’t get me started on Porsche Life Style crap it’s a 100% money grab, when I got my Speedster they asked did I want one and I said sure does it come with the car if not I like my Daytona better 😎. My neighbor is a Porsche lawyer so we actually laugh about this crap and what they read on these board. Makes them rise the prices 😂😂
The following users liked this post:
Diablo Dude (10-13-2022)
Old 10-13-2022, 01:02 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Sorry anyway back to ADM if you want it enjoy and the good side pricing is starting to come down on everything. Good for buyers, and sucks for greedy flippers.
neoprufrok (10-14-2022)
Old 10-13-2022, 04:10 PM
Scottykenneth
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 211 Posts

Hoping soon!!! Need to get back into a GT3. Winter coming anyway over here on the EastCoast. So hoping March/April Ill be back!
Old 10-14-2022, 03:06 AM
WCGhost
Instructor

Received 173 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by shrimp money
Times are a little different down. You have 19 year old girls with a million in the bank from showing their butthole on Onlyfans. You have fat people rich AF from recording themselves eating inside their car. Some might say millennials are lazy, but they’re just refusing the old way of making money in this world. Gone are the days of working 30 years for corporate only to be able to retire with $2 mil in your 401k.

Money moves fast as F now. I used to sell on eBay back in 1999, and people would mail me a check with a letter saying they won XXXX auction, and please ship their item to provided address.
You are getting millennials confused with gen Z. Millennials are the ones who are up to age 41 currently and have been burdened by massive student loan debt due to the increases in the cost of education caused by boomers in charge, they've worked corporate jobs and fought through multiple "once in a hundred year" economic events caused by boomers. They are the single most educated generation in American history. They were forced to pursue advanced degrees to even have a shot at owning property or living a lifestyle even remotely like their parents did. Many even pursued expensive advanced degrees on loans because there were not many people hiring when they were entering the workforce in 2008-2012. They have been forced to have dual income households, postponing their ability to afford children and replacing them with dogs. They have dealt with 9/11 as children, then were hit with the great recession when they started to enter the work force, then once they finally would grind and start to make progress in their corporate roles, they were hit with a once in a hundred year pandemic. Makes you wonder why they are the generation with the highest levels of depression and mental health related burnout in the workplace. They are the founders of boomer apps like Facebook and Instagram, SnapChat, and endless other technologies like blockchain, you use on a daily basis.

Gen Z are ages 10-25 who are not entering corporate America at the same rate, and you think about the age at which you would be coming out of college and when the pandemic started, it would make some sense that they are not really benefitting from working their first corporate roles with limited training, mentorship, and workplace culture working remotely. The pandemic also shifted their thought process on what to prioritize. They also witnessed the Millennial generation before them struggle tremendously with student loan debt and struggle to match the quality of life their boomer parents provided, and realized that maybe there was another path beyond expensive advanced degrees and being imprisoned by corporate America. Gen Z witnessing the struggles of Millennials is what I think changed everything.

Last edited by WCGhost; 10-14-2022 at 03:33 AM.
The following 19 users liked this post by WCGhost:
AlexCeres (10-15-2022), amplidyne (10-15-2022), blef44 (10-14-2022), Bucketlistx911 (10-14-2022), Diablo Dude (10-14-2022), EMdoc (10-14-2022), IrwinMFletcher (10-15-2022), Maverick787 (10-14-2022), michaeldorian (10-16-2022), neoprufrok (10-16-2022), poofyo101 (10-14-2022), porschedetective (10-14-2022), rodsky (10-14-2022), Ryanx0r (10-14-2022), SantaFePorsche (10-16-2022), ToasterThief (10-16-2022), Vgj (10-20-2022), Yargk (10-14-2022), zunayed (10-14-2022) and 14 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-14-2022, 04:07 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by WCGhost
You are getting millennials confused with gen Z. Millennials are the ones who are up to age 41 currently and have been burdened by massive student loan debt due to the increases in the cost of education caused by boomers in charge, they've worked corporate jobs and fought through multiple "once in a hundred year" economic events caused by boomers. They are the single most educated generation in American history. They were forced to pursue advanced degrees to even have a shot at owning property or living a lifestyle even remotely like their parents did. Many even pursued expensive advanced degrees on loans because there were not many people hiring when they were entering the workforce in 2008-2012. They have been forced to have dual income households, postponing their ability to afford children and replacing them with dogs. They have dealt with 9/11 as children, then were hit with the great recession when they started to enter the work force, then once they finally would grind and start to make progress in their corporate roles, they were hit with a once in a hundred year pandemic. Makes you wonder why they are the generation with the highest levels of depression and mental health related burnout in the workplace. They are the founders of boomer apps like Facebook and Instagram, SnapChat, and endless other technologies like blockchain, you use on a daily basis.

Gen Z are ages 10-25 who are not entering corporate America at the same rate, and you think about the age at which you would be coming out of college and when the pandemic started, it would make some sense that they are not really benefitting from working their first corporate roles with limited training, mentorship, and workplace culture working remotely. The pandemic also shifted their thought process on what to prioritize. They also witnessed the Millennial generation before them struggle tremendously with student loan debt and struggle to match the quality of life their boomer parents provided, and realized that maybe there was another path beyond expensive advanced degrees and being imprisoned by corporate America. Gen Z witnessing the struggles of Millennials is what I think changed everything.
Wow, some generally statistically accurate statements, as opposed to the more common anecdotal posts. Refreshing.
The following 5 users liked this post by Yargk:
amplidyne (10-15-2022), SantaFePorsche (10-16-2022), ToasterThief (10-16-2022), WCGhost (10-14-2022), zunayed (10-14-2022)
Old 10-14-2022, 08:43 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Spot on and well stated/highly accurate. However don’t forget about Gen X that is many of us who also had to clean up from our parents the boomers. They taught us credit cards, divorce and weed from the 70’s. I tease my mom at 73 they came from the era of pensions vs I had to save my retirement in 401k’s and investing while fortunately able to leave the corporate grind at 53. We have good Gen Z’ers one 20 ready to go to med school zero debt, one 25 at CVS web design just bought first home, and the last 27 5 years in a corporate job but living at home with ex he’s cheap. By the none of then want kids😬. Again great port …..
The following 2 users liked this post by Maverick787:
fijibubba (10-14-2022), WCGhost (10-14-2022)
Old 10-14-2022, 10:42 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 848 Likes on 576 Posts

Good post WC - the level and cost of education required to make it over the past 10-20 years is insane. Also the last 21 years have been very difficult starting with 9/11 which cascaded into several items like very costly wars (Iraq/Afghanistan) followed by several economic upheavals 2008/2009 and the pandemic related one. It's been tougher for millenials and Gen z and I think that these are generations that have things tougher than those that came before them. Back to GT3's and ADM - I think those that have patience - will be rewarded by lower prices (I don't think quite to the levels of April 2020) but I am likely to add a GT3 next year if its not something different like an Artura etc. Don't have time or space this year
WCGhost (10-14-2022)
Old 10-14-2022, 11:59 AM
uniqueMR
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 419 Posts

Millennial myself (mid 30s), spot on !!!
WCGhost (10-14-2022)
Old 10-14-2022, 02:01 PM
fijibubba
Burning Brakes

Received 629 Likes on 333 Posts

I finally see the forest through the trees...It all went to hell for the rest of us because of 4 debauched days in mid August of 1969. Days responsible for forever changing the trajectory of the Boomers mindset; resulting in the current monetization of Mr. Stinky Shrinky being now of more value than an advanced degree.

You are definitely spot on with your post, and we are so screwed! Thanks Woodstock.

Last edited by fijibubba; 10-14-2022 at 02:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by fijibubba:
Diablo Dude (10-14-2022), WCGhost (10-14-2022)
Old 10-14-2022, 06:03 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Bravo on this post 100% agree. Close it. 😎💯
Old 10-14-2022, 08:07 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,391 Likes on 729 Posts

Effectively $90k over

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...omments-anchor
Diablo Dude (10-15-2022)
Old 10-15-2022, 12:54 AM
RRich
Racer

Received 285 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
And even easier still when one just stops worrying about how and how much others are paying for their cars.
Comparison is the thief of joy.
The following 3 users liked this post by RRich:
AlexCeres (10-15-2022), Diablo Dude (10-15-2022), RUF RS (10-15-2022)

Quick Reply: A place to discuss all things ADM