Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 11:13 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Deano this AM

Good news!!!

Drove the 993 home for a gentle drive to run in those syncros…………..drives mint!! Everything went really well! Tested the LSD and it is working perfectly, chalk and cheese from what it was so all the work was worth while.

Fitting up those proflex sway bar bushings now. The GT3 is on a hoist and we are into the engine swap.
Hey Mark, not being rude, but is your GT3 the last one in NZ to get its engine replaced? Reason I ask is because I thought maybe the NZ new cars would have preference?
Old 06-27-2014, 12:08 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Nik. To be honest I have no idea, but that could well be the case.

CCS only have 3 GT3's for engine replacement including mine but I cant speak for Giltraps/others.

I believe there were 7 imported to NZ before production stopped, and then there is mine. So that's 8 in total. Of those 7 NZ cars I believe only 3 were delivered to clients prior to the stop sale. CCS have since Wednesday completed the one customer delivered car they had (Richard - he was first up) then the red car they had delivered in March after the production ceased (never driven) and today mine. As Im not in the country I was fine with that. It good the team have already done two before mine over the last few days.

Technically the engines were manufactured and installed in sequence with when they were originally produced and delivered - at least this is how it worked in Europe & UK.

What I can tell you is all the engines for NZ GT3 arrived into country late last week and it would seem all will be installed by the end of this week. there are over 40 components that make up the "package" as PAG replace all hose clips and sundries. The engines come with the Cats and Headers attached but the old side mufflers and centre mufflers get carried over. Additionally there are around a dozen software and firmware patches including one that opens the sports exhaust valve around 1000 rpm lower in the rev band improving sound and a little bit of low down torque. There is also a steering software revision which apparently improves turn in and a RWS patch which improves cornering. There are PDK-S patches as well as engine ECU updates which includes firmware than now brings a blue warm up light on the instrument cluster with a rev limit of 7000 rpm until the engine is warmed through (45c oil temp).

Lastly there are new front inner guard liners with a mesh to protect the radiators back there after quite a number of track junkies holes radiators on track. this was an issue for 997.2RS and 4.0RS but the factory never rectified it so an after market crowd have been supplying a screen for those owners.

Its quite a through revision. Im already in constanct with a few dozen owners with the new engine and seven of them have already had the car back on teh track (infact three of them have done 3-4 track days now). Three of these owners landed 458 Speciale's whilst their 991 GT3 was down. One of those is a good friend. Its been very interesting to get their comparative points of view between the two cars on road and track now they have seat time in both back to back. The general consensus is the GT3 is the better track car and the 458 the better road car. In teh case of the EVO article and also a couple of folk Ive been speaking to regularly in tFrance, Switzerland the UK and USA the GT3 is around 0.3-0.9s slower per lap on a track like Magna Cours or Castelle than the 458. Thats in factory trip for both cars (the 458 comes stock with huge PCCBs and the GT3 on steelies). Not and when you consider the 458 has 130bhp more and a tonne more torque and is twice the money. Where the 458 wins is on teh road due to its extra torque and the sound of its engine even when poodling around. Its also a far more special place to be with all that deviated stitched allacantera and carbon. gearbox wise the PDK-S reviews very well between the two but the 458 box has more tricks up its sleeve.

Truth be told Id take the 458 Special over the 991 GT3 any day as a keeper. But its twice the money which is outside of my paygrade and the cost to track it would be 2-3x as much at least (PCCBs not so good on track).

The MY2014 991 Gt3 comes with 4 years warranty on track so thats a consideration too and the pads are no more than for the 993, rubber is more expensive (around $2800 landed for a set of MPSC2) so not that much more than 18" Hankooks for the 993 ($2000) but the GT3 chews them up in 3-4 track days vs 6-8 (speed and handling delta no doubt).

I believe the next run of 991 GT3 will leave the factory in September bound for NZ (October delivery). Not sure how many they will make , lots of speculation there, but Ive been indicated there will be another 6-8 arriving in NZ before they cease production. The 991 GT3RS will be in production before the end of the year one hopes...
Old 06-27-2014, 12:13 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Thanks Dave. While we would all love the price to be lower, I'm not too concerned at this level. I'll text you tomorrow morning. We need to get this concluded by 11am, and yes this is a best endeavors effort. It is a $1,400 car after all, which is less than a set of track tyres.

Just had lunch with Mark H. We now have 11 starters, and more importantly our maintenance budget lifts to $800.
Cool. I take it we're running with the "yes, you can come and have a go too later" option for the seller and getting that spare engine and (2nd synchro dodgy) gearbox (of course, if he is the one to write it off later, here's hoping he'll feel bad enough to refund a grand or so of the purchase)...
Old 06-27-2014, 12:57 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Cool. I take it we're running with the "yes, you can come and have a go too later" option for the seller and getting that spare engine and (2nd synchro dodgy) gearbox (of course, if he is the one to write it off later, here's hoping he'll feel bad enough to refund a grand or so of the purchase)...
I'm not sure Walter. The labour costs to fit an engine or gearbox would likely exhaust our maintenance budget very quickly, plus transport and storage of the parts is not easy. It may be kinder to the team to run as do or die.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:46 AM
PHG
Racer

I'm not sure Walter. The labour costs to fit an engine or gearbox would likely exhaust our maintenance budget very quickly, plus transport and storage of the parts is not easy. It may be kinder to the team to run as do or die.
Hey John and Dave
Since you are coming north, feel free to drop in and have a cuppa at 238 Hibiscus Coast Highway, Orewa, either b4 or after looking at the Alfa.. and en route to look at the BMW ?
Old 06-27-2014, 01:58 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fair enough.

BTW - hate to distract from RSGRPC1, but a 996 Turbo that had done about 600,000 kms just had its first engine teardown and rebuild (since it had blown a turbo they thought they might as well check), and all they found was some slight wear on the bearings. Kms mostly done on 15 minute commutes and 10 to 12 track days a year, with oil changes every 8000 kms. More here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...estion-11.html

Last edited by 996tnz; 06-27-2014 at 02:40 AM.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:45 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Engine swap...
Attached Images             
Old 06-27-2014, 03:35 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Regardless whether you are a 993 fan you simply must have a gander at this 993 GT2/RSRRace Car workshop manual. Ive never seen one of these (very hard to come by) but the information is a revelation in terms of how a true race car is set up and items lifed out. Basically 30 hour rebuilds. You can see how the budget to run one of these was many times more than the purchase price!

http://we.tl/usAyPXUA28
Old 06-27-2014, 03:47 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Your new engine looks great Macca, and seems slightly enhanced from the outgoing stock version looking forward to hearing it at some point. Name:  96D17586-9724-4CAC-A3E7-F72875EE5344.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  121.4 KB

And in honor of page 981:

http://fastestlaps.com/photos/porsche_boxster_s_981.jpg
Old 06-27-2014, 03:48 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

As you work your way through the race GT2 documents youll come to realise (especially if you know the production 993s as well as I do) that there really isnt much the same of these factory race specials.

Here is and example. Porsche Motorsports drive shafts (red) $2600.00 USD each. or the standard drive shafts I just bought for $560.00 USD each...!

If you are taking racing these cars seriously effectively you need to strengthen and replace almost everything.

I think gone were the days in the 60s when you could take a showroom 911, spend about 50 workshop hours preparing it then go and win races...
Attached Images   
Old 06-27-2014, 03:52 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater
Your new engine looks great Macca, and seems slightly enhanced from the outgoing stock version looking forward to hearing it at some point.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...2875EE5344.jpg
Wow. Thanks Jake. That must have gone on late in the day. PAG are covering its install! Im told there is around 2-3 db sound level difference with sports exhaust on, very little with it off, but it must save a good 8KG+ out the back there over the factory centre muffler. It reuses the factory tips so is indistinguishable form outside the car.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:21 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Aussie rennlister mark picked up his 991 GT3 today. Poor guy (well not literally check out just part of his "collection" and those license plates!) had his car arrive a few days before the stop sale and he was on the way to the dealer to pick the car up in Feb when he got the call not to bother!

hes got a nice 4.0RS

His only comments: I picked it up this morning. It's great. The PDK is nothing like any other double clutch I've driven.
Attached Images    
Old 06-27-2014, 04:49 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by Macca
Wow. Thanks Jake. That must have gone on late in the day. PAG are covering its install! Im told there is around 2-3 db sound level difference with sports exhaust on, very little with it off, but it must save a good 8KG+ out the back there over the factory centre muffler. It reuses the factory tips so is indistinguishable form outside the car.
Do you have the old rear centre muffler? I'm thinking of doing a similar rear muffler on the 964 race car as run by the guys in the US.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:51 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Wish I was closer as I'd be keen as on the RSG beater but I can't believe you guys are going for an Alfa?? (sorry John)

I appreciate the entry cost is minimal but really you want something that will take a thrashing. SR20de, B18b or B18c if you can or if you must a trusty twin cam Corolla. You may need to spend a little more up front but it'd last longer plus it would be easier to spanner on, find replacement bits etc. Heck after Paul stacks it you could buy another the same and keep the the first one as spares.

Some suggestions....

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=744600101
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=744522975
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=744766946
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=746276552

Last edited by Kiwi Carguy; 06-27-2014 at 05:17 AM.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:04 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KiwiSean
Do you have the old rear centre muffler? I'm thinking of doing a similar rear muffler on the 964 race car as run by the guys in the US.
Hi Mate. Yip. Have a look at before and after for the bit missing. I assume this is what you need...
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?