Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 07:40 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mjg
Renting favours people who adapt quickly, not that keen on it for a leaderboard.
Adaptability is good in my book, but if some have had extensive experience on a similar platform I agree that such quick drives would disadvantage others.

Originally Posted by mjg
I am keen on sharing rental a serious race car (GT3 Cup from Motorsport Services? Formula Challenge?) sometime just for the experience.

Would also go in on something like that Radical with a small group if people were serious.
I'd look at those too.

The GT3 Cup and the Formula Challenge would be very different but both well worthwhile. The FCs ran in their own MSNZ series through the early-mid '00s I believe and have sharp handling and aero. Like the Radical they run an ex-superbike engine, albeit an 1100 Suzuki versus a 1400 Kawasaki. For reliability and public use they are now normally limited to max out at about 170kph or so (low 20s would be excellent times) but most of the thrill is in the cornering anyway. Nothing this side of a bike compares to running the esses fast with your visor only a few feet above the ground! Have still been pestering them for a run in one de-restricted though...
Old 06-25-2014, 07:43 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The range of possibilities being discussed here are shared car are so wide and different that the path to a decision seems pretty hard.
From rent a serious car to buy a 2k to buy and more serious car (radical). The investment ranges from "chip in few dollars" and expense the total so that if written off or have to spend 200% of the capital cost on maintenance then too bad. Or potentially go fast and race it seriously.

on the lower cost end of the scale my 2c would be go buy 2 karts and race them for 1 year alternating drivers between 4-6 ppl. There are 2 kart clubs in AKL so check out what days are club days as you might be able to choose between 2 club days each month or better find a good mix of heavy and light guys in your group so you could potentially run both light and heavy groups at one club day or you can help each other in pits. This will be the best cheapish motorsport racing experience. Wait for the July experience report from John and co - whoever is going.

Otherwise spend a bit more money on a reasonable car - we know the 2k is not really 2k and no doubt the running budget is up higher than anyone will admit to as well.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:20 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mjg

You know, we're all talking about buying an RSG beater... but there's one in storage that Macca's not using most of the time.
Yes - 991 GT3's..........make good sculptures, but that's about it............
Old 06-25-2014, 08:34 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
The range of possibilities being discussed here are shared car are so wide and different that the path to a decision seems pretty hard.
From rent a serious car to buy a 2k to buy and more serious car (radical). The investment ranges from "chip in few dollars" and expense the total so that if written off or have to spend 200% of the capital cost on maintenance then too bad. Or potentially go fast and race it seriously.

on the lower cost end of the scale my 2c would be go buy 2 karts and race them for 1 year alternating drivers between 4-6 ppl. There are 2 kart clubs in AKL so check out what days are club days as you might be able to choose between 2 club days each month or better find a good mix of heavy and light guys in your group so you could potentially run both light and heavy groups at one club day or you can help each other in pits. This will be the best cheapish motorsport racing experience. Wait for the July experience report from John and co - whoever is going.

Otherwise spend a bit more money on a reasonable car - we know the 2k is not really 2k and no doubt the running budget is up higher than anyone will admit to as well.
I don't think anyone is trying to make an enduro car of it. That's why I looked to remind people again of John's original 10/12 way RPC beater concept that everyone jumped on board with as a no-brainer bit of a fun. And why at that price I'm not too fussed about details like even counting on it running for too long. Spent more on a single lottery when I lived in Queenstown (the odds were stacked in my favour - a $1600 season ski-pass for Coronet with just 40 $10 tickets on offer. Underwrote the issue and got 26 of them - and a cheap season's skiing and snowboarding).

Other opportunities here are probably best treated as just that - other opportunities, rather than competing ones - since the few hundred bucks on an RPC won't make or break any of those others anyway. Workable RPC logistics are important though and those seem to be largely in place, courtesy of ChrisM, ChrisB and John.

John - I'm obviously still in for RPC/beater Plan A. Maybe B (ultimate track weapon) and C (shared rented track weapons) too but those are different discussions. John, maybe reconfirm the list?
Old 06-25-2014, 09:04 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 626 Likes on 369 Posts

Good discussions everyone who contributed. I sense that there is interest in my original intention I.e. a beater car that we can run around HD or even down to the NITT that will give us a top gear type leaderboard. However equally a number would prefer not to go further. Fair enough either way.

The car should be safe but not necessarily a drivers or performance car. The challenge is to take that out on the track and return a time faster than anybody else. Nothing more.

We need to be realists in that a car for this money may last 1 lap or 500. Who knows. It will likely be driven to the point of wrecking so aside from consumables I'm not expecting any big bills, because you don't sink good money after bad.

Let's make this easy. Who is in to buy the Alfa beater for $1,400 with a view to having a bit of fun?

Nothing too organised. All I would ask is that those that go ahead observe the spirit of the arrangement. Put it away with a full tank and no mods during time attacks.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:11 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

RSG Cup Car Version 1! Alfa 164

I'm in.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:16 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Yes - 991 GT3's..........make good sculptures, but that's about it............

hey! Mines getting its new engine today. then a workstream of stuff including some geo next week and it will be a (fast) moving sculpture....
Old 06-26-2014, 01:40 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Macca, I respect your patience. I've been without my car for almost two weeks (waiting for parts to arrive and busy at work) and I'm hanging out for a drive. Luckily everything has been delivered to myself and CCS in time for fitting/fixing tomorrow, so the car will be in for a bit of yet to be determined fun this weekend (anyone keen on a run?). Your geographical detachment to your cars must make those days behind the wheel all the more sweet.

Also makes you appreciate how lucky we are to even be having these discussions, let alone realising what's being discussed. Life is bloody fantastic if you ask me. Bring on the weekend.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:59 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You aint wrong mate. If you saw how different the whole driving experience is between here and there it would be even more suprising...nothing is the same...

Helps when you get mates send you spy photos like I received this morning form both Pete Alders shop and CCS car park! Almost 7 weeks in the shop for the 993 and now 15 weeks for teh GT3 in the underground lock up!

List of work for 993 includes:
  • New shyerical rear suspension arms (2 per side)
  • New drive shafts+CV boots x 2
  • New Rear wheel bearings
  • New rear A arms with Elephant Racing RS rear training arm bush cartirdge
  • New 235/285 Hankook Z221 tyres
  • Full geo
  • Big brake upgrade (discs+calipers)
  • Endless MX72 street/track pads
  • Gearbox rebuild 1-5 synchros replaced, plus 2/3 slider and cone, reverse lock out spring
  • LSD rebuild using GT internals & billet ramp 40/60
  • Engine drop, valve clearance, full service
  • Full air con consensor, drier, exmapnsion valve and or ing replacement and re-gas using Kuel improved evaporator/valve and new pollen filters
  • New wiper arms and a bunch of small jobs taken care of

Now needs 100km shakedown with Deano for the weekend and all fingers crossed nothing major to sign it off!

As the Beatles said...With a little help from your friends....(and a fist full of dollars!)
Attached Images     
Old 06-26-2014, 02:33 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
You aint wrong mate. If you saw how different the whole driving experience is between here and there it would be even more suprising...nothing is the same... Helps when you get mates send you spy photos like I received this morning form both Pete Alders shop and CCS car park! Almost 7 weeks in the shop for the 993 and now 15 weeks for teh GT3 in the underground lock up! List of work for 993 includes:[*]New shyerical rear suspension arms (2 per side)[*]New drive shafts+CV boots x 2[*]New Rear wheel bearings[*]New rear A arms with Elephant Racing RS rear training arm bush cartirdge[*]New 235/285 Hankook Z221 tyres[*]Full geo[*]Big brake upgrade (discs+calipers)[*]Endless MX72 street/track pads[*]Gearbox rebuild 1-5 synchros replaced, plus 2/3 slider and cone, reverse lock out spring[*]LSD rebuild using GT internals & billet ramp 40/60[*]Engine drop, valve clearance, full service[*]Full air con consensor, drier, exmapnsion valve and or ing replacement and re-gas using Kuel improved evaporator/valve and new pollen filters[*]New wiper arms and a bunch of small jobs taken care of Now needs 100km shakedown with Deano for the weekend and all fingers crossed nothing major to sign it off! As the Beatles said...With a little help from your friends....(and a fist full of dollars!)
Not hard to see who the spy is
Old 06-26-2014, 04:25 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm in for the beater John. I love Alfa's !
Need a few more though, owning a full share wore me out but a 10th won't be near as bad.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:49 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
I'm in for the beater John. I love Alfa's ! Need a few more though, owning a full share wore me out but a 10th won't be near as bad.
I think the magic number is 7 to give this the green light. It keeps the cost down and yet enough people on the board to make it competitive.

I think Walter and Matt G might be starters which would give us 5. Pete, Paul and Doug would get us well there. Plus there's some points to prove in that mix
Old 06-26-2014, 05:08 AM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John McM
I think the magic number is 7 to give this the green light. It keeps the cost down and yet enough people on the board to make it competitive. I think Walter and Matt G might be starters which would give us 5. Pete, Paul and Doug would get us well there. Plus there's some points to prove in that mix
still keen john
Old 06-26-2014, 05:08 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Not hard to see who the spy is
The 993 was looking hungry for some action, Mark! Some new z222's (street stuff) and an alignment for me this week.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:28 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Thanks Sam. How could I forget a fellow 964 owner!

Chris, Dave, Sam, John.

Three more would be good. to give the green light.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?