Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 07:08 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks Graeme. I'll try the 17's with R888s (also which Yoda instructed on Saturday. He said get rid of those old tyres. I'm slowly picking up the hint.
Doug you will also be surprised how much heat cycles can reduced performance of the tyre depending on compounds etc. So 'age' also related to how many heat cycles. I have thrown out tyres still with tread on a number of times because of degraded performance and safety etc.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:17 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Paul, if you want an analysis of your data, drop the AIM off or drive by after work and I'll do it for you. I gather you haven't got past just pushing the buttons yet....
Correct - bring your computer to the track.

I was actually in your neck of the woods last night - Kohi Cafe??

By the way - the Porsche Racers are keen to join the Circuit Sprints day on 03 August 2014. They may be offering rides to those who sign up on the day (watch this space............)

I Bag's Kevin and Tim James - 1.09's hum.......

Old 06-09-2014, 07:22 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
P.S. Add to the business equation a couple of young guys good with electronics. The future will be electric. Tuning cars will be done with software, batteries, accumulators, etc Maybe the odd flux capacitor! Need some smart young things with Japanese car tuning backgrounds know LINK etc can burn eprom etc on rolling road if needed. Or just plug and play/flash chip for soccor mom so daddy knows shes the fastest MILF on the street LOL.
Too right. Those who hack the unhackable first and can take it to market have it made - like Cobb for the Nissan GTR:

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...-and-delimited

And a flash travels better than a sports muffler too so it's not just an NZ market.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:23 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Buying houses isnt the only way to make money Paul. Apple shares remember :-).

My gut instinct is house prices (in the upper end) are softly falling and will not go up for a while, even with the stellar migration home.

Whether it's Apples or houses, my point is income gives you leverage to buy more of what ever you invest in, and I think it's short sighted to try and crank your income down a much as possible to avoid tax. Better to use the same energy to earn more, pay more tax and have bigger dreams, toys and investments..........

Besides Macca - the tax man could be on this forum...........
Old 06-09-2014, 07:23 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

this talk about quality coilovers and parts...

Most road car drivers that put a few mods on wouldn't be able to differentiate between quality levels very accurately. My very first Targa car came with Proflex 3 way adjustable coilovers that were unbelievably good. They were capable of taking the big hits smoothly without any shock through the car, no secondary bounce keeping the car online (highspeed bump) and also sensitivity on the smaller undulations (low speed bump and rebound). If I built the car I probably wouldn't have spec'd those shocks as they are too expensive.

But when I switched to another car on good reputable shocks they definitely were not as good so ended up upgrading to high and low speed adjustable remote reservoir. But its only in the heat of targa what a difference all this makes
Old 06-09-2014, 07:38 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

John,

Kev tells me the 44 is going to be Riveria Blue, under a 1,000kg's and capable of 14's @ HD??

Gonna???
Attached Images  
Old 06-09-2014, 08:17 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Correct - bring your computer to the track. I was actually in your neck of the woods last night - Kohi Cafe?? By the way - the Porsche Racers are keen to join the Circuit Sprints day on 03 August 2014. They may be offering rides to those who sign up on the day (watch this space............) I Bag's Kevin and Tim James - 1.09's hum....... . .
No time for computers at the track. Too much going on and I want to keep it simple.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:20 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

My gut instinct is house prices (in the upper end) are softly falling and will not go up for a while, even with the stellar migration home. Whether it's Apples or houses, my point is income gives you leverage to buy more of what ever you invest in, and I think it's short sighted to try and crank your income down a much as possible to avoid tax. Better to use the same energy to earn more, pay more tax and have bigger dreams, toys and investments.......... Besides Macca - the tax man could be on this forum........... .
Talking your book - much

Should be easy to buy Jen a house in a falling market....
Old 06-09-2014, 08:29 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

John, Kev tells me the 44 is going to be Riveria Blue, under a 1,000kg's and capable of 14's @ HD?? Gonna???
Not anytime soon.

What I'm going to do is approach this smartly. There is only one purpose for a race car, to be competitive. The driver needs to be up to the task as well.

I plan to listen to Yoda and Simon and work out a plan from there. Right now it seems to be pointing towards go karts and intelligent play day practice.

so I need to make sure it
Old 06-09-2014, 09:14 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Whether it's Apples or houses, my point is income gives you leverage to buy more of what ever you invest in, and I think it's short sighted to try and crank your income down a much as possible to avoid tax. Better to use the same energy to earn more, pay more tax and have bigger dreams, toys and investments..........
Of course. My point is that if you are self employed don't get PAYE confused with Income and tax structures. The bankers of this world will look at self employed PAYE the same as nominal net profitability before "shareholders dividends/drawings". Essentially the PAYE you give yourself is consider a dividend in this one man band scenario. Essentially its nothing to do with cranking your income up or down - back in the good old days (a few years ago) you didn't need to pay yourself comparatively, now you do. It was probably a bit of a loop hole to hedge tax (legal) and now it isnt ...like most things the system evolves and the tax man gets smarter. Im sure they must be chomping the bit on capital gains tax in NZ. You pay it in Australia and every other G20 country in the world but not NZ, enjoy that one whilst you can boys (along with zero estate tax!)....

Better to use the same energy to earn more, pay more tax and have bigger dreams, toys and investments..........
Yes. This seems to be the conventional approach. When do you stop? When you have a coronary? When you have early onset arthritis that prevents you walking more than 1km in pain? After your wife leaves you and fleeces you for half your wealth. There is always another dollar somewhere, once you trust yourself you will be more confident getting off the "magic roundabout" that you can get back on if you should so wish in the future. Its a philosophical debate, but you eventually either get out or you dont and you have to hope when you do you arent already on the respirator. Its a very personal thing I gues...

I just love that Riviera Blue. One of my favourite hues. Dream realistic garage = 1987 CTR RUF YellowBird (yellow of course), Rubystone Red 964RS, Riviera Blue 993RS.

I thought Kevin already had a 1.14 HD 944 and hes selling it? Can someone explain - I may have missed this. Hes now building another 944? For himself ?
Old 06-09-2014, 09:19 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

good plan John just gotta execute
whens the Karting test day??
Old 06-09-2014, 09:20 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Not anytime soon.

What I'm going to do is approach this smartly. There is only one purpose for a race car, to be competitive. The driver needs to be up to the task as well.

I plan to listen to Yoda and Simon and work out a plan from there. Right now it seems to be pointing towards go karts and intelligent play day practice.

so I need to make sure it
Sounds like a solid plan John. Well see how you feel after the Sprints this weekend when you get into the low 1.19s ;-)

I like the cart idea to build up skills (close quarters racing and lines etc).

I think a boot camp (three pro drivers with a group of 6 max) for a weekend at Taupo would be a great investment. Im talking practising race craft here not just the specific track. I reckon it could be organised for less than 2K a head. Full on immersion - own the track for two days and learn and practice lines, braking and shifting/heel & toe, LFB, trail braking etc and perfect the techniques. Id fly in for that....
Old 06-09-2014, 09:29 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088
good plan John just gotta execute whens the Karting test day??
27th of July is the open day at the local kart club. Will look at what investment in time and money is needed. Keen to work out a skill acquisition plan as I've done exactly what I was told not to i.e. Go to the track and circulate with no particular plan, except to go faster.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:34 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

^^^ Hey John. At least you are having fun. I have tonnes of plans just not circulating LOL!
Old 06-09-2014, 10:04 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

^^^ Hey John. At least you are having fun. I have tonnes of plans just not circulating LOL!
Macca, I've been there done that with the offshore life. I can't do it anymore even if it is more lucrative than NZ wages.

I'm not one to sit on my chuff and quite happily move around a series of unrelated tasks in my free time. The danger is that you become a jack of all trades. If I'm going to do racing it has to be with more focus. To date my application is not unlike my elder sons study habits, erratic and unfocused. There is so much to learn.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?