Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015 | 10:38 PM
Maxem
Drifting

So, after the track day I washed her and parked her up in a freshly swept garage for the week only to notice a petrol smell. Looks like the tank has a leak. Any advice / prior experience on fixing holes in tanks? Silly putty fixes, welding, totally restoring, new tank? Who are the Pro's who offers tank fixing services? Not yet undertaken the deep investigation but leak appears to be near the filter screen hole so could be a seal or more seriously a rust hole.
Old 08-16-2015 | 10:49 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
So, after the track day I washed her and parked her up in a freshly swept garage for the week only to notice a petrol smell. Looks like the tank has a leak. Any advice / prior experience on fixing holes in tanks? Silly putty fixes, welding, totally restoring, new tank? Who are the Pro's who offers tank fixing services? Not yet undertaken the deep investigation but leak appears to be near the filter screen hole so could be a seal or more seriously a rust hole.
The Air Cooled forum on FB might have more experience of this, but I'd just speak to Steve. From the Google responses if it's rust then it's time for a new tank as any hole is the tip of the iceberg. However, think positive it may just be a seal.
Old 08-16-2015 | 11:30 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by John McM
You know the story Phil, the less up top the more the temptation to grow it down lower
That's not a goatee its chin grease from nosing about under the car and getting too close - just like grease in the 2 fingered V haha
Old 08-16-2015 | 11:32 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
The Air Cooled forum on FB might have more experience of this, but I'd just speak to Steve. From the Google responses if it's rust then it's time for a new tank as any hole is the tip of the iceberg. However, think positive it may just be a seal.
Yeah, but then I'd have to join facebook.
The missus is telling me off because she apparantly gets a whole lot of Porsche stuff now coming through on her something or other - buggered if I know. I have joined a few groups under her name.
Might have to stop hiding behind her skirt, aye?
Old 08-16-2015 | 11:40 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Wheels and tyres for Cayman drivers looking for 18"s: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...4#post12514454
Old 08-17-2015 | 12:02 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Maxem
Yeah, but then I'd have to join facebook.
The missus is telling me off because she apparantly gets a whole lot of Porsche stuff now coming through on her something or other - buggered if I know. I have joined a few groups under her name.
Might have to stop hiding behind her skirt, aye?
Might just be the right time to come out, Diana
Old 08-17-2015 | 12:03 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Outcome from my letter to ACC on 1994 993 below. No win unfortunately...

"Dear Macca

Thank you for your emails of 9 and 29 July 2015 concerning the banding of your Porsche 911 and the banding of Porsches in general. Please accept my apologies again for the delayed response.

The ACC vehicle risk rating scheme draws on real crash data from 5.5 million police reported road crashes across Australia and New Zealand, extending back as far as 1987 using a system called the Total Secondary Safety System (TSSI). This system was developed by Monash University and the crash information used for risk rating is detailed in a report entitled Vehicle Safety Ratings estimated from Police Reported Crash Data: 2013 Update – Australian and New Zealand crashes during 1987 – 2011, which can be found at http://www.monash.edu/miri/research/...s/muarc318.pdf

While there are a number of approaches that could have been taken to risk rating, it was agreed to use the Total Secondary Safety Index (TSSI) methodology developed by Monash University Accident Research Centre. The TSSI was chosen as it draws on real crash data. The TSSI is unique in that it also incorporates injuries to other parties involved in a crash, and this better reflects the cost ACC bears in relation to motor vehicle related injuries.

In developing the risk rating methodology, ACC met with the New Zealand Transport Agency, the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment and the Motor Vehicle Industry Expert Group (MVIEG) which is made up of the Automobile Association, Motor Trade Association, Motor Industry Association and the Imported Motor Vehicle Industry Association.

While the TSSI is the agreed primary approach for risk rating light passenger vehicles in the ACC Motor Vehicle Account, there are certain reasons why the levy regime must also rely on other methodologies to provide comprehensive risk rating. Examples of this can be found in relation to newer, low volume and scratch-built or kit/spec cars.

As noted above, the TSSI is based on actual crash data. For that reason, the newest vehicle models cannot be accurately rated on the basis of TSSI as there is little or no crash data available with which to make a credible assessment. TSSI data established that there needs to be at least three and a half years of crash data available in respect of a particular light passenger vehicle in order to provide a credible rating. On that basis, it was agreed that to rate new and recent vehicles a ‘credibility threshold’ of three and a half years would need to be applied. It was decided that vehicles that met the threshold would be allocated to a levy band based on their TSSI score and vehicles that did not meet the threshold would be banded on the basis of New Car Assessment Programme (NCAP) ratings, where available. It is when NCAP ratings are not available the vehicle is allocated to a band based on the year of manufacture, as is the case for your vehicle. The default thresholds based on year of manufacture are as follows;

Licence levies for: Petrol Driven
2014/15 levy 2015/16 levy
from 1 July 2015 Decrease % Decrease Years of Manufacture
Band 1 $198.65 $158.46 $40.19 20% 1975 to 1995
Band 2 $198.65 $123.46 $75.19 38% 1996 to 2000
Band 3 $198.65 $103.46 $95.19 48% 2001 to 2008
Band 4 $198.65 $68.46 $130.19 66% 2009 to present

This is why your friend’s vehicle is banded differently, the year of manufacture is 1996.
It is acknowledged that there are many other factors (eg. alcohol, speed, weather) that can influence the outcome of a car crash. However ACC cannot go down to the other individual differences in each case when determining levies. Using the design and manufacturer information provides the best way to give an equitable rating for all New Zealanders.

If you are not satisfied with this reply about the decision we’ve made about your vehicle’s risk rating band you can apply for an independent review of any ACC decision you receive. Independent reviews are undertaken by FairWay Resolution Ltd (FairWay).
In the case of vehicle risk rating, the decision point is your motor vehicle relicensing (rego) letter that you are sent by the NZ Transport Agency. This reminder notice is sent around a month before you are due to relicense your vehicle. This notice is also referred to as an MR1. You will need to apply for your review within three months of the date you receive your relicensing notice. To request a review, you’ll need to fill in the attached Motor Vehicle Levy Review application form (ACC33VRR) and return it to ACC.

In the meantime we are continuing to work with customers who have questions about motor vehicle levies and vehicle risk rating bands. As with any new system there are always going to be areas that can be improved. Work continues to refine and enhance the vehicle risk rating process. Based on feedback to date, we are considering a number of improvements to the way vehicles are rated. ACC intends to publicise any proposed changes in the upcoming public consultation phase of the levy setting process. Information about this will be published on our website.

If you have any other queries please ring 0800 222 776 or email them to vrr@acc.co.nz.

Yours sincerely"

Last edited by Macca; 08-17-2015 at 02:24 AM.
Old 08-17-2015 | 12:15 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088
That's not a goatee its chin grease from nosing about under the car and getting too close - just like grease in the 2 fingered V haha
Correct, and the worst grease by far is the stuff packed in the CV's. It's Black and very fine, so gets under the finger nails like nothing else.
Old 08-17-2015 | 01:57 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

All I can say is daaang your mum has a 993!

Originally Posted by Macca
Outcome from my letter to ACC on 1994 993 below. No win unfortunately...

"Dear Macca

Thank you for your emails of 9 and 29 July 2015 concerning the banding of your Porsche 911 and the banding of Porsches in general. Please accept my apologies again for the delayed response.

The ACC vehicle risk rating scheme draws on real crash data from 5.5 million police reported road crashes across Australia and New Zealand, extending back as far as 1987 using a system called the Total Secondary Safety System (TSSI). This system was developed by Monash University and the crash information used for risk rating is detailed in a report entitled Vehicle Safety Ratings estimated from Police Reported Crash Data: 2013 Update – Australian and New Zealand crashes during 1987 – 2011, which can be found at http://www.monash.edu/miri/research/...s/muarc318.pdf

While there are a number of approaches that could have been taken to risk rating, it was agreed to use the Total Secondary Safety Index (TSSI) methodology developed by Monash University Accident Research Centre. The TSSI was chosen as it draws on real crash data. The TSSI is unique in that it also incorporates injuries to other parties involved in a crash, and this better reflects the cost ACC bears in relation to motor vehicle related injuries.

In developing the risk rating methodology, ACC met with the New Zealand Transport Agency, the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment and the Motor Vehicle Industry Expert Group (MVIEG) which is made up of the Automobile Association, Motor Trade Association, Motor Industry Association and the Imported Motor Vehicle Industry Association.

While the TSSI is the agreed primary approach for risk rating light passenger vehicles in the ACC Motor Vehicle Account, there are certain reasons why the levy regime must also rely on other methodologies to provide comprehensive risk rating. Examples of this can be found in relation to newer, low volume and scratch-built or kit/spec cars.

As noted above, the TSSI is based on actual crash data. For that reason, the newest vehicle models cannot be accurately rated on the basis of TSSI as there is little or no crash data available with which to make a credible assessment. TSSI data established that there needs to be at least three and a half years of crash data available in respect of a particular light passenger vehicle in order to provide a credible rating. On that basis, it was agreed that to rate new and recent vehicles a ‘credibility threshold’ of three and a half years would need to be applied. It was decided that vehicles that met the threshold would be allocated to a levy band based on their TSSI score and vehicles that did not meet the threshold would be banded on the basis of New Car Assessment Programme (NCAP) ratings, where available. It is when NCAP ratings are not available the vehicle is allocated to a band based on the year of manufacture, as is the case for your mother’s vehicle. The default thresholds based on year of manufacture are as follows;

Licence levies for: Petrol Driven
2014/15 levy 2015/16 levy
from 1 July 2015 Decrease % Decrease Years of Manufacture
Band 1 $198.65 $158.46 $40.19 20% 1975 to 1995
Band 2 $198.65 $123.46 $75.19 38% 1996 to 2000
Band 3 $198.65 $103.46 $95.19 48% 2001 to 2008
Band 4 $198.65 $68.46 $130.19 66% 2009 to present

This is why your friend’s vehicle is banded differently, the year of manufacture is 1996.
It is acknowledged that there are many other factors (eg. alcohol, speed, weather) that can influence the outcome of a car crash. However ACC cannot go down to the other individual differences in each case when determining levies. Using the design and manufacturer information provides the best way to give an equitable rating for all New Zealanders.

If you are not satisfied with this reply about the decision we’ve made about your vehicle’s risk rating band you can apply for an independent review of any ACC decision you receive. Independent reviews are undertaken by FairWay Resolution Ltd (FairWay).
In the case of vehicle risk rating, the decision point is your motor vehicle relicensing (rego) letter that you are sent by the NZ Transport Agency. This reminder notice is sent around a month before you are due to relicense your vehicle. This notice is also referred to as an MR1. You will need to apply for your review within three months of the date you receive your relicensing notice. To request a review, you’ll need to fill in the attached Motor Vehicle Levy Review application form (ACC33VRR) and return it to ACC.

In the meantime we are continuing to work with customers who have questions about motor vehicle levies and vehicle risk rating bands. As with any new system there are always going to be areas that can be improved. Work continues to refine and enhance the vehicle risk rating process. Based on feedback to date, we are considering a number of improvements to the way vehicles are rated. ACC intends to publicise any proposed changes in the upcoming public consultation phase of the levy setting process. Information about this will be published on our website.

If you have any other queries please ring 0800 222 776 or email them to vrr@acc.co.nz.

Yours sincerely"
Old 08-17-2015 | 02:08 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Now $70k! http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Posi...c5NzYzNS5odG0=
Old 08-17-2015 | 02:26 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yes she is a lucky lady. She bought the car in 2006 after I tried & failed to sell it. Kindly she allows me to use it for transport when I'm in NZ :-)
Old 08-17-2015 | 03:04 AM
integralenz
Intermediate

That's pretty much identical to the "cut and paste"email I just received from ACC. I'd pointed out the advanced active and passive safety features Porsche engineered into the 993, very low-injury US contemporary accident data, arbitrary nature of ACC cut-off dates etc., but got a response that didn't address any specific issues I raised. At least your iteration purported to answer the question you asked. Not a biggie though, life's too short and there are a lot better things to get concerned about.
Old 08-17-2015 | 03:10 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater
Wheels and tyres for Cayman drivers looking for 18"s: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...4#post12514454
That's pretty much the price of the wheels brand new. Think I'd prefer new for that money and put 221's on rather than 888's

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
What was he asking before? $75k?
Old 08-17-2015 | 05:12 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
I thought a 986 was a Boxster??
Attached Images  

Last edited by 964X33; 08-17-2015 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Squeezing a 912 in
Old 08-17-2015 | 05:13 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Porsche 912 - you can own this one for $107K

http://www.rsconsulting.co.nz/cars/1.../1967-912.html
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?