Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 10:32 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
27th of July is the open day at the local kart club. Will look at what investment in time and money is needed. Keen to work out a skill acquisition plan as I've done exactly what I was told not to i.e. Go to the track and circulate with no particular plan, except to go faster.
Is that the Panmure/Glen Innes carting track? Sun 27 July at what time? I'm keen too but can't see myself doing a full season with our 2 pre-schoolers. Maybe share a drive with someone?

John, if looking to work on specific aspects of your track driving in a more purposeful way than just pushing harder, Speed Secrets by Ross Bentley is a useful guide and combines well with personal tuition.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:51 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Macca, I've been there done that with the offshore life. I can't do it anymore even if it is more lucrative than NZ wages.

I'm not one to sit on my chuff and quite happily move around a series of unrelated tasks in my free time. The danger is that you become a jack of all trades. If I'm going to do racing it has to be with more focus. To date my application is not unlike my elder sons study habits, erratic and unfocused. There is so much to learn.
John. I understand your perspective. I think we feel the same way about Vanuatu. However the Island is more fun when you aren't solely reliant on your crust from it. Quite liberating and a good tax base for "investments" as you'll understand. It also enables us to appreciate NZ much more when we are there instead of taking it for-granted.

Once you have lots of free time you may find "happily moving around amongst a series of unrelated tasks" is pretty much the best way to occupy yourself ;-). I actually enjoy it tho I confess its not for everyone. The track work is for fun, I enjoy it and I try to be competitive even though Im rarely able to enduldge. Gives me projects during the "away time" too which is a fun use of time (although recently very expensive).

Just to close the point Paul raised and we were discussing. Property is a good way to build wealth. Never argued with that and have used it as my living for a number of years. Issue is when you work for yourself (say as a consultant) you get to the point where you realise "what happens if I cant work". Does the money still flow does the debt still get paid? Maybe for 12 months with income protection insurance, maybe nothing if its a serious injury sustained on the track (nil for life insurance and other too I suspect). Who feeds the family? That great 6 figure income you earn from your own labour and niche industry/skill is good but its at risk like everything else in life and its not perpetual. If I look at everything Ive "invested" in (time or money) the best return has been business. Followed by Property then by trading (equities/funds etc) and lastly by PAYE. Property has its risks borne by the fact its leveraged against future income. If that income is self generated therein lies the risk. We are frail in reality. The older you get the more you understand this. If I look at business it is also full of risk. But the returns are potentially larger (I wouldnt invest in anything giving less than 20% ROI today and probably would hunt for something 25%+, or build from scratch and expect 30+). The thing with business is once youd done a few of them you generally get better at it (or you start bad and never repeat!). That said there's huge energy in creating businesses. Ive started 3 from scratch in 8 years and bought into an additional 2. Mixed results in the buy ins, generally good results in the start ups.

If I simply look around be at a Thursday Milford Cruising Club evening, and I consider those who have the "toys" (Higgs, Hudson etc) I don't see many property magnates. They all owned and/or sold their businesses. If I think broader across the people I know in the whole car space I end up with the Halfords and the Bagnalls, Browns etc its the same but bigger.

Dont get me wrong Im about to step off the train and into the abyss. Its all a philosophical debate for me. There's no right or wrong but I feel there is alot of tunnel vision. And maybe that's a prudent survival mechanism. Maybe we are all plugged into a matrix LOL!

Anyway as you were....

P.S. My view of racing is you only go into it if you can feel you have a chance to beat the others. If I had the money Id roam the word doing it even if I was crap, just for fun. But for most of us its born from a competitive element I suspect....
Old 06-09-2014, 11:05 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Is that the Panmure/Glen Innes carting track? Sun 27 July at what time? I'm keen too but can't see myself doing a full season with our 2 pre-schoolers. Maybe share a drive with someone?

John, if looking to work on specific aspects of your track driving in a more purposeful way than just pushing harder, Speed Secrets by Ross Bentley is a useful guide and combines well with personal tuition.
Thanks Walt have just put Speed Secrets in my shopping cart!
Old 06-09-2014, 11:46 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Is that the Panmure/Glen Innes carting track? Sun 27 July at what time? I'm keen too but can't see myself doing a full season with our 2 pre-schoolers. Maybe share a drive with someone? John, if looking to work on specific aspects of your track driving in a more purposeful way than just pushing harder, Speed Secrets by Ross Bentley is a useful guide and combines well with personal tuition.
Walter, I think we are talking about the same one. It's at the base of Mount Wellington. You are probably in my weight bracket. Looks like Rotax Heavy is the best class as minimum kart all up weight is 185kg.

Not sure what time it is. I'll check.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:53 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Thanks Walt have just put Speed Secrets in my shopping cart!
Best still there is a Kindle version that can be read on iPads etc.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:14 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Best still there is a Kindle version that can be read on iPads etc.
John. We are a big time kindle household. However for reference books I always go paper and hardback. I can bookmark better and maybe Im just old fashioned. I can also chuck in a roll bag with race gear. Kindle is great for novels I find but not reference books.

Talking of books anyone know if Mike Eadys book on NZ Tracks has been republished yet?
Old 06-10-2014, 12:39 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking your book - much

Should be easy to buy Jen a house in a falling market....
Problem is vendors don't realise the market has softened and are not prepared to realise the market has changed. Sometimes a $200K difference between wanting and offering price at the moment???
Old 06-10-2014, 12:40 AM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not in physical form, but you can buy it as a PDF from him now.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:41 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

No time for computers at the track. Too much going on and I want to keep it simple.
Sounds like you are a man on a sub 1.20 mission at the moment.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:45 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
I thought Kevin already had a 1.14 HD 944 and hes selling it? Can someone explain - I may have missed this. Hes now building another 944? For himself ?

Kev said last night the white 44 with martini stripes is into the 11's @ HD...

996 Cup Cars are 1.09.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:51 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Kev said last night the white 44 with martini stripes is into the 11's @ HD... 996 Cup Cars are 1.09. .
Trademe ad says

HD 1.12
Manfield 1.15
Pukekohe 1.12
Taupo 1.39.

Useful info to compare track times for us on the NITT.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:52 AM
mjg
Pro

...on full slicks.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:53 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Sounds like you are a man on a sub 1.20 mission at the moment. .
Goal is sub 1.19.57 which would mean I have beaten Steve's time in the car. You will be miles ahead if that happens anyway. Still interested to see where you are making the time.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:53 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Can anyone recommend an upholsterer?
Old 06-10-2014, 12:54 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
Not in physical form, but you can buy it as a PDF from him now.
Matt - are you doing the sprints??

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?