Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 04:35 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

John. You are mad. I hope they work out to be a good retirement nest egg for you!

Matt. That was a very interesting article on the Guards mainshaft. I didnt realise the GT3 had first and second fixed. Luckily my early build 993 only has first fixed. Not that its much good unless you have around $8K NZD to regear the other 4 critical ratios LOL!

Just remember if you are going down this route you may experience more gear whine (less likely with GT gears than other manufacturers).

Im quickly forming the opinion that my 991 GT3 will be the only sensible track car for me shortly. With pdk-s I dont have to worry about wearing out my gears from abuse. I cant money shift my valve train. With e-diff I cant fry my friction plates and send friction material into my gearbox. With a four year new car warranty that for the first time ever extends to track usage I dont have to worry about things that need replacing when they shouldnt. With the new engine youd think Porsche have made it bullet proof (and they can replace it again and pay compensation if it aint!). I think I found a good answer to all of this. Forget the 993 and move to the GT3. Ill order the AIM DL Solo with OBD2 connector and smarty cam that Ive been eyeing up tommorow then LOL!
Old 05-29-2014, 04:52 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the whole diff subject, I'm really looking forward to getting the new race car out with the 40/60 guard LSD in it. The "RS" has a Quaife in it that only locks under acceleration.

I've never noticed it on track but when I did the Targa sprint, I transitioned from gas to brake at about 200kph on country road and the *** lifted right up and wiggled around under braking. It wasn't a lot of fun.

I can only assume I wouldn't have this with the Guard.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:06 AM
mjg
Pro

Originally Posted by John McM
The M licence required a few goes but Terry was understanding and no one failed.

What's the go for the 7th? How many support crew are required and what do they do?
I'll let Chris/Pete/Steve answer that, I'm a total neophyte.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:22 AM
mjg
Pro

Originally Posted by Macca
Matt. No worries re the gauge. Ill pick one up in the US.
Depending on what you're looking for, Silvester V8 carry some Longacre stock (they don't have the pressure/pyro gauge you linked, thoguh) and are really good to deal with. I haven't checked local vs import prices, but I bought mine from them.

Just remember if you are going down this route you may experience more gear whine (less likely with GT gears than other manufacturers).
On the noise... You haven't been in my car, have you? It's progressively becoming a road legal Cup car... at some point I'll have to stop. I'm sure I'll work out when sometime after the windows become polycarbonate...

My latest addition, the M&M headers, have significantly reduced the ground clearance at the rear. Don't think I'll be going on any more of Doug's off-road photo shoots as I'm going to have to be a bit more careful now.

I actually came across that article while doing general research, not looking at that specifically. I have emailed Matt at Guard to see if he has any recommendations, but no decisions at this stage beyond fixing what's broken.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:58 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KiwiSean
On the whole diff subject, I'm really looking forward to getting the new race car out with the 40/60 guard LSD in it. The "RS" has a Quaife in it that only locks under acceleration.

I've never noticed it on track but when I did the Targa sprint, I transitioned from gas to brake at about 200kph on country road and the *** lifted right up and wiggled around under braking. It wasn't a lot of fun.

I can only assume I wouldn't have this with the Guard.
Correct Sean. Your Guards diff will lock the rear transaxle 60% on braking and 40% under acceleration. One of the key features of these dual action diffs is to stabilise the car from high speed under brakes. Interestingly mine was new and still working during teh 2012 Targa Tour and it performed this function fine. On the track I should think this is very useful especially if conditions are not perfect (surface, wet etc). The Quaife solution seems to be popular with the NZ Bridgestone crowd but not with overseas racers. I can only assume its because they are basically good for life and cheaper to buy in the first instance - however they dont work as well in a race application IMO.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:01 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
Depending on what you're looking for, Silvester V8 carry some Longacre stock (they don't have the pressure/pyro gauge you linked, thoguh) and are really good to deal with. I haven't checked local vs import prices, but I bought mine from them.

On the noise... You haven't been in my car, have you? It's progressively becoming a road legal Cup car... at some point I'll have to stop. I'm sure I'll work out when sometime after the windows become polycarbonate...

My latest addition, the M&M headers, have significantly reduced the ground clearance at the rear. Don't think I'll be going on any more of Doug's off-road photo shoots as I'm going to have to be a bit more careful now.

I actually came across that article while doing general research, not looking at that specifically. I have emailed Matt at Guard to see if he has any recommendations, but no decisions at this stage beyond fixing what's broken.
Thanks Matt. Is that a person or a website or a store?

I didn't realise your car was so loud inside! The whine is at normal around town speeds and can drive you mad with AM cut gears. Thats the downside over OEM. If you are only driving wide open throttle at the track you wont notice it.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:02 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
I'll let Chris/Pete/Steve answer that, I'm a total neophyte.
Not 100% sure but 1 person with extinguisher, 1 person fuelling, 1 to assist driver change + others if having to change wheels etc + pit boss. Its a lot for only 1 (planned) pitstop per car!
Old 05-29-2014, 06:11 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Matt and Macca into GT gear. Very nice and worthwhile quality/reliability upgrade.

I have pulled the gearbox on the Targa car now and going to take a peak inside to see if there are any effects from 5 days racing. Will be interesting. I bought headset intercoms for plugging into the Stilo for touring between stages but found over 5 days now the noise of the straight cut gears is not too loud and we haven't actually used the headset so far.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/v...am-620r-driven
check out this short vid from Steve Sutcliffe. For those on SITT it got me wondering about a small supercharger....don't think my current gearbox could take the power.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:19 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Pete depending on what fuel cans you fueling with may need 2 ppl fueling. Assuming you haven't got a proper rig, you will want larger rather than smaller cans and I can tell you 25+ litres when full is quite heavy if trying to move quickly, point the pricker thingy into a small hole, not spill fuel into ground (or tyre) blah blah
Old 05-29-2014, 06:24 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088
Pete depending on what fuel cans you fueling with may need 2 ppl fueling. Assuming you haven't got a proper rig, you will want larger rather than smaller cans and I can tell you 25+ litres when full is quite heavy if trying to move quickly, point the pricker thingy into a small hole, not spill fuel into ground (or tyre) blah blah
Good thinking Graeme. experience speaks!
Old 05-29-2014, 06:31 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Not 100% sure but 1 person with extinguisher, 1 person fuelling, 1 to assist driver change + others if having to change wheels etc + pit boss. Its a lot for only 1 (planned) pitstop per car!
I think fueller has to be in cotton suit with full face helmet
Old 05-29-2014, 06:37 AM
mjg
Pro

Thanks Matt. Is that a person or a website or a store?

I didn't realise your car was so loud inside! The whine is at normal around town speeds and can drive you mad with AM cut gears. Thats the downside over OEM. If you are only driving wide open throttle at the track you wont notice it.
Here's the link, Christchurch based store: http://www.silvesterv8.co.nz/categor...gacre-Products

It's mainly because of the solid transmission mount combined with the RS flywheel. If I went back to a rubber mount it'd be a fair bit quieter.

Just remembered this video... quite an extreme case, but I can imagine this driving you nuts:

For the fueling, I think Steve R has a gravity fed rig we're using, but not 100% sure.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:39 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Long weekend, feels like time for a road trip. 3 hours to Oakura, maybe my favourite back road on Sunday, three hours back Monday. Bring it on. Where are you driving this long weekend?
Attached Images   
Old 05-29-2014, 06:47 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

be great with a rig. definitely give you a time gain in the pits for sure. good luck with the race.

That bmw is ridiculously loud
Old 05-29-2014, 07:01 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Long weekend, feels like time for a road trip. 3 hours to Oakura, maybe my favourite back road on Sunday, three hours back Monday. Bring it on. Where are you driving this long weekend?
Assuming the car isn't sold by then, Herman and I are off to Katikati for the day to meet his doppelgänger

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?