Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Thanks Macca. I'll study this with interest tonight
Pop quiz on Friday evening !
Old 03-02-2014, 10:05 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Walt, did you have a coolant pipe issue?
Yep. Porsche should have ponied up for better glue when they decided to GLUE the metal coolant fittings into the block back then. The Mezger block is brilliant but this decision is a weakness in implementation. The fitting pops out and water just pours out the bottom as fast as you pour it in the top. Second time it's happened (two out of the six fittings now). Same issue impacts on 996 GT3s, which have watered a few tracks here and there.

Thankfully it is a water-cooled endurance racing block(won 24h Le Mans in '98) that is an evolution of the classic air-cooled one so handles running dry better than most.

Contis just weld the fittings back in with liquid metal. It's the getting to it that costs a bit...

If the fittings are exposed during other work anyway, many recommend pinning them with a grub screw or two as a preventative measure beforehand.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:08 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Yep. Porsche should have ponied up for better glue when they decided to GLUE the metal coolant fittings into the block back then. The Mezger block is brilliant but this decision is a weakness in implementation. Water just pours out the bottom as fast as you pour it in the top. Second time it's happened (two out of the six fittings now). Same issue impacts on 996 GT3s, which have watered a few tracks here and there. Thankfully it is a water-cooled endurance racing block(won 24h Le Mans in '98) that is an evolution of the classic air-cooled one so handles running dry better than most. Contis just weld the fittings back in with liquid metal. It's the getting to it that costs a bit... If the fittings are exposed during other work anyway, many recommend pinning them with a grub screw or two as a preventative measure beforehand.
Been there done that. Mine was accessible with the engine in. A reasonable cost repair. Even the tow from Pukekohe to CCS was reasonable. Mine won't be going back to the track as I have other choices
Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2014, 10:42 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think youll find the crankcase number is stamped 964. A few years ago we had never heard them referred to as Mezger. Everyone referred to them as GT1 block. Infact they are based on the 964 crankcase, the 993 used them and later the GT3 and turbo. The term Mezger is misleading as the engine he designed bears little resemblance to the water cooled unit people use his name to refer to today...
Old 03-02-2014, 10:55 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by John McM
Been there done that. Mine was accessible with the engine in. A reasonable cost repair. Even the tow from Pukekohe to CCS was reasonable. Mine won't be going back to the track as I have other choices
Thanks for sharing and it's nice to know that at least some of the remaining 4 fittings are easy access. My tow (well flatbed) was even more reasonable as I learned from my 928 to keep the AA membership up. Car up to Contis and then dropped back home. Couple of good sorts offered their car trailers as backup plans too (thanks guys).
Old 03-02-2014, 11:13 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Macca
I think youll find the crankcase number is stamped 964. A few years ago we had never heard them referred to as Mezger. Everyone referred to them as GT1 block. Infact they are based on the 964 crankcase, the 993 used them and later the GT3 and turbo. The term Mezger is misleading as the engine he designed bears little resemblance to the water cooled unit people use his name to refer to today...
Yep, but today many if not most know this block lineage as that. Like grandpa's axe, it's evolved over time but is based on the same block line. Mezger was heavily involved in Porsche's race engine development program so water cooling was nothing new to him either.

From Christophorus 2008 "60 years of Porsche":

'This engine started out in 1963 as a 2.0-liter unit with 130 horsepower. In 1978 it reached 845 hp in the “Moby Dick” racer. In
the current version of the 911GT3, it plays with a capacity of 3.6
liters and 415 horsepower, and 480 in the 911 Turbo. It has swallowed gasoline and methanol, and versions have won Le Mans
a hefty 14 times. It has viewed every boost in its capacity as a spur
to greater performance, and it has never sputtered in either induction or turbocharged form. It continues to be transformed
to this day—having been called RS, GT1, GT2, or GT3, each signifying higher levels of performance.'

Link:http://pap.porsche.com/pap/filestore....default.0.pdf

We're all lucky to have such technical geniuses creating our cars, so I'm happy to keep giving him a name credit.

Last edited by 996tnz; 03-02-2014 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 03-02-2014, 11:27 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Thanks for sharing and it's nice to know that at least some of the remaining 4 fittings are easy access. My tow (well flatbed) was even more reasonable as I learned from my 928 to keep the AA membership up. Car up to Contis and then dropped back home. Couple of good sorts offered their car trailers as backup plans too (thanks guys).
Good reminder. $138 for a year with full car recovery is a no brainer when you're about to do 5,000 km in a 24 year old car.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:22 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Bugger - can't catch a trick here. We are going to have a barren patch for RSG days if this keeps up.

I think Chris and I are doing the NI Targa (since I didn't throw up!)
Just catching up on the thread, but yes, definitely in for Targa Rotorua. While some parts of yesterday weren't as good as I expected I was able to confirm what I wanted, ie. will the car work being a Tip (definitely), can Pete and I do this together (yes, the man is awesome, had the notes sorted straight away and great communication), will I enjoy it (yes, there was enough promise to get me going back for more and all the other competitors were great).
Old 03-03-2014, 12:23 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by CS Mende
Here's a link to my Targa pics Stage 1 - Pukekohe direction. Good day for an amateur to play with moving targets and aperture settings. Uploads are slow, so keep checking back for more pics. Will also add Stage 1 - Ramarama direction once it happens.

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A4GdIshaGxUxcT
Thanks Chris, great to see you out there yesterday and good to get some pics!
Old 03-03-2014, 12:27 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by KiwiSean
Sorry to hear the tour didn't work well today. They were short stages and a very compact event, I can see how it would've been tough to get in to it. NI and SI will be a whole different level of intensity though.

We had a good day for first time competing. We weren't pushing too hard and were running 3rd in Classic 2WD with two stages to go. Sadly blew a drive shaft launching on the second to last stage. No records or memory of them being done in the PO's tenure so they were probably long overdue. Bit of a shame, would've been nice to place first time out but that's motorsport.

Thanks to Chris B again for coming to the rescue with his trailer, legend.
Sean, you had a big smile on your face when we saw you at the start of stage 5! You were having a great run, that's motorsport as you say, next time....
Old 03-03-2014, 12:29 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Yes - being NZ new and no sunroof - it's a bargain and one to put away if you had a lazy $30K.
Kevin looks after his cars very well and he would have inspected it thoroughly and chosen well when buying it, so no doubt it will be a very good car.

Looks like he is selling up a few cars, going to a GT3 Cup Car??
Old 03-03-2014, 12:52 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

So it looks like we have Chris/Pete, Walt/+1, Ron&Patsy and Doug/Paul signed up for NI Targa Tour?

Sean??, John??

Last edited by kiwi 911; 03-03-2014 at 01:20 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:56 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

That's a bugger, I had the easily accessible ones done on my car before the Targa based on John's experience. The rest will be done next time the motor is out.

Good fun yesterday, sounds like not the ideal ending for you, but nothing major.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:50 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
Kevin looks after his cars very well and he would have inspected it thoroughly and chosen well when buying it, so no doubt it will be a very good car.

Looks like he is selling up a few cars, going to a GT3 Cup Car??
Funny, that was my thought. But the 944 can't be far off that pace?!
Old 03-03-2014, 01:54 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Funny, that was my thought. But the 944 can't be far off that pace?!
I'd have to check my laps to be sure but I imagine he's 2 or 3 seconds off Simon's times at HD in the 997 cup car. It could be that he's taken the '44 as far as he can, possibly too far. Great buy for '44 seeker, but I understand the 996 cup cars are possibly at $65,000. Starting to look attractive.....

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?