Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 07:37 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Surprised at how little effect it had on Vmax on the straight at HD. Looked the same as Steves run? I guess it gets to the same point as closed loop pretty quickly so its really a position in time thing. i.e. same power is made both ways but WOT means you get there fractionally quicker....
Old 03-01-2014, 07:44 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Ok, I think this is fairly conclusive proof that my 1.20.007 is partially due to more power. I recreated the run to test the chip. WOT makes a definite difference. The Green trace is with the throttle readjusted and WOT Microswitch being switched.
Shows improved acceleration pretty clearly. Very nice.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:48 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a link to my Targa pics Stage 1 - Pukekohe direction. Good day for an amateur to play with moving targets and aperture settings. Uploads are slow, so keep checking back for more pics. Will also add Stage 1 - Ramarama direction once it happens.

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A4GdIshaGxUxcT
Old 03-01-2014, 08:05 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 626 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by CS Mende
Here's a link to my Targa pics Stage 1 - Pukekohe direction. Good day for an amateur to play with moving targets and aperture settings. Uploads are slow, so keep checking back for more pics. Will also add Stage 1 - Ramarama direction once it happens. https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A4GdIshaGxUxcT
Did Doug have a smile on his face?
Old 03-01-2014, 08:07 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Herman is all prepped for his 1,000 km Pre-SITT run
Attached Images        
Old 03-01-2014, 10:44 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Surprised at how little effect it had on Vmax on the straight at HD. Looked the same as Steves run? I guess it gets to the same point as closed loop pretty quickly so its really a position in time thing. i.e. same power is made both ways but WOT means you get there fractionally quicker....
So am I. I suppose there are too many variables in a track situation to be sure. Those laps are determined by entry speed to the prior lap straight, braking point etc. the test I did was second gear only and floor it at 2,000 rpm. Definitely a difference there. In the example with Steve, I braked a few metres earlier. Probably worth a few km/hr to stay on it. In one other straight I seem to have more power.
Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2014, 12:17 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally I thought the half day targa tour sucked.

2x 6km runs and 2 x 11km runs. One of the 11 km runs was done under hazards at road speed. So basically 20- ish Km's in total.

Ron's run in Doug's boxter after the event was longer and far more exciting.

I really liked Doug's boxter - what a fun and responsive car to drive. I think Doug is sand bagging - his boxter would eat my 993. He should be doing 1.17's......

I look forward to driving Pete's cayman (hint hint)

John - your car is looking good mate....

Old 03-02-2014, 12:28 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Disappointing! Paul you are well qualified enough to comment on what a typical targa tour is like and it sounds like this one missed its mark considerably. Rotorua is a proper event and obviously the logical chance to trial the style. Ron's runs are always a good way to blow out the cobwebs.

My observation of the 987 boxster/cayman S is that stock out of the box it will keep my 993 honest on track and tarmac (at much less "commitment"). Had a dual with both on the Targa and eventually won out but not without pushing far to close to 10/10ths. Become a quicker driver since then, and the car is much better sorted now than two years ago but still alot of work and probably some unnecessary risks compared to the more powerful and better balanced boxster/cayman S platform.

Capable of 1.17s at HD. Definitely!
Old 03-02-2014, 12:31 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Macca, you should consider doing Targa Rotorua, it's a mix of the bambina, so spends a day on the Coromandel.

This puts a different spin on it for me...

Old 03-02-2014, 12:35 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Paul. Not hardcore enough for me LOL. Im doing the 6 day 20th Anniversary event with Jamie Cootes - I need to make my time on the ground work harder for me than a 2 day event if possible. Ideally Id love to get an HD session in before or after the NITT in September too to make that effectively a 4 day 3 track event. After SITT. NITT will be next up for me. We will need to start organising that in April...where's Peter?
Old 03-02-2014, 12:42 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Personally I thought the half day targa tour sucked.

2x 6km runs and 2 x 11km runs. One of the 11 km runs was done under hazards at road speed. So basically 20- ish Km's in total.

Ron's run in Doug's boxter after the event was longer and far more exciting.

I really liked Doug's boxter - what a fun and responsive car to drive. I think Doug is sand bagging - his boxter would eat my 993. He should be doing 1.17's......

I look forward to driving Pete's cayman (hint hint)
Agree - was disappointing. Stages too short and too few. Plus the complete f*** up of releasing us onto a stage while the marshals were still changing the direction flags over... So after 2km we run straight into the 2 marshal vehicles and then dribble the rest of the stage. Then the last stage which was only 6km anyway and they released us in a bunch - no time in between. Some corners we were basically stopped and queued up waiting to turn!

On the plus side it was good to get an intro to pace notes and figure out that I can do that bit without getting sick. Chris' driving was pretty good and that car sticks!

Paul - you had a bit of a moment at the Ramarama on ramp. There were a few gasps when that car came through the Stop sign and within inches of t-boning you!! They were still sitting on the side of the road when we left - we reckon they were reading a map because they looked lost and had just come off m-way and were going straight back on again. Probably didn't look up until it was almost too late..
Old 03-02-2014, 12:50 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Yes - I did notice the SUV........
Old 03-02-2014, 12:58 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Sounds like a mixed experience. Weren't you also circulating at Pukekohe as well?

While I have enjoyed the Classic Trials, hands down Playday offers the best cost/driving ratio and the least hassle as well. I know it's all about safety, but try refuelling at a sanctioned motorsports event and see how much palaver there is, you need someone with an extinguisher in hand and full protection while you do it.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:00 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NITT will be next up for me. We will need to start organising that in April...where's Peter?
It's under control Macca - dates and tracks are booked - 11-14 Sep.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:08 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Paul. Not hardcore enough for me LOL. Im doing the 6 day 20th Anniversary event with Jamie Cootes - I need to make my time on the ground work harder for me than a 2 day event if possible.
It's 3 days - 450kms special stages and 700-ish touring.

Sure beats 20kms of special stages...........

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?