Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 05:50 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Was for sale in oct '12, at 279k's and was Tauranga based. Asking price then was $35k
Old 03-02-2014, 06:01 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Over the weekend I stopped in at CCS to pick up the CGT's muffler:

Name:  E5F03E35-12F1-4BBC-9CED-D72CF10605A0_zpsgwrki9ip.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  95.1 KB
(I think it added about 50BHP on the way home)

Spotted Johns 996 TT as well:

Name:  246CE3B3-EF4D-4479-B610-61D0E4159516_zpsq8opgv32.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  116.5 KB

On the way home down the Southern Motorway I had a the black 996 GT3 Mk1 [00GT3] pull up along side and give me a wave. Anyone from here? Or is he an RS2 fan?
Old 03-02-2014, 07:01 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
Doug. Even if you don't want the data tracking capability, the AIM can be used as a large display speedometer which is very accurate. Good for touring at 109km/hr, when needed.
Thanks John. That's a good idea. I'll change my mind then :-)
Old 03-02-2014, 07:56 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Paul and I have registered for the North Island Targa Tour in May on the Playday special . Who else is in? Be quick, only 10 slots and the offer went to 2,500 playday contacts
Old 03-02-2014, 08:06 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Paul and I have registered for the North Island Targa Tour in May on the Playday special . Who else is in? Be quick, only 10 slots and the offer went to 2,500 playday contacts
Good for you. Which car are you two taking?

Peter, this may make 18/5 a no go for the RSG day.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:13 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Peter, this may make 18/5 a no go for the RSG day.
Bugger - can't catch a trick here. We are going to have a barren patch for RSG days if this keeps up.

I think Chris and I are doing the NI Targa (since I didn't throw up!)
Old 03-02-2014, 08:28 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Bugger - can't catch a trick here. We are going to have a barren patch for RSG days if this keeps up. I think Chris and I are doing the NI Targa (since I didn't throw up!)
There are still normal playdays where we can go as a sub group. I'm not fazed by the lack of insurance. In fact I've been eying up running a MR2 for the 2k cup which would likely cost more to insure this it's worth. Some of those racers go to Playdays.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:31 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Good for you. Which car are you two taking?
Plenty of time to decide on which car. The Boxster handles these road events superbly but we can also soften up the C2 to handle the bump and thrust of the road too. Spoilt for choice.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:37 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Yes - being NZ new and no sunroof - it's a bargain and one to put away if you had a lazy $30K.
Originally Posted by Maxem
Was for sale in oct '12, at 279k's and was Tauranga based. Asking price then was $35k

thanks for the replies fella's
Old 03-02-2014, 08:42 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Peter from Targa called me in response to my email feedback and criticism about the Ecolight Tour yesterday.

He said that the 3rd stage issue was caused not by administration error but a bushfire requiring 6 fire appliances to get through the closed roads and holding things up. This was circumstances beyond their control and delayed access to this section. They either had to abandon it or run it with hazards the way they did as the road closure time limit was running short. In retrospect he would have liked to have handled it differently but they weren't expecting this.

In response to my feedback that it would have been nice to do all 6 stages, he said that they wanted that too but MSNZ wouldn't allow it.

I asked if the NI Targa Tour runs all of the 450km of special stages and he confirmed that it does -that's great news.

He requested that if there's cristicism of the event can we please let him know directly rather than discuss it on the forum.

He was dealing with some complaints this morning about a group of tour cars driving a some pace elsewhere in the district with (Targa Tour livery on them) :-(

Anyway, I think it best if we probably take any further chatter about yesterday's tour offline or keep it to our private site. I'm a relatively newby, so you vets feel free to chime in if you disagree.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:49 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KiwiSean
Sorry to hear the tour didn't work well today. They were short stages and a very compact event, I can see how it would've been tough to get in to it. NI and SI will be a whole different level of intensity though. We had a good day for first time competing. We weren't pushing too hard and were running 3rd in Classic 2WD with two stages to go. Sadly blew a drive shaft launching on the second to last stage. No records or memory of them being done in the PO's tenure so they were probably long overdue. Bit of a shame, would've been nice to place first time out but that's motorsport. Thanks to Chris B again for coming to the rescue with his trailer, legend.
That's a bummer, man! Better now than on the big Targa I suppose.

What was behind the oil issues at HD? Assuming that got sorted before the Eco targa.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:57 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Doug. Just thinking about your settings for the KWV3. Not sure on the 964+KW wisdom here but for the PSS10 I have some knowledge.

Firstly, You definitely want to soften those shocks up for the road. Infact for NO Targa you want to soften them back a fair bit. I am assuming you have adjustable sway bars too?

For Targa I run my fronts on 3-5 (0 being softest and 10 being hardest) and the rears I would choose 5-7. I often the front and rear sway bars to their softest settings. The roads are bumpy at speed and you need as much tyres contact patch on the road as you can get at all times. These settings were recommended to me by Dean and they did work quite well. For geo I would pull the front and rear camber back to the Porsche published OEM RS settings.

For the track things get a bit more tricky and its also to do with your driving style, the track and the equipment on board. Im still playing here as I havent managed to get to teh same track twice to try out new settings!
I have a motorsports accell/decell Diff so I soften the front up to reduce understeer and provide front end grip. I use 6 on the PSS10 front shocks and the middle hole on the RS ARB's (or one hole softer depending on the track). For teh rear I use 8 or 9 on the shocks and either the middle of the ARB holes or one hole firmer (there are only three on the rear ARB so that the firmest it will go). As I say still experimenting with this.

For geo on the track I would recommend backing of front toe a fraction and increasing front camber by at least 1'.00" and rear camber by 0'.5"-0'.8" for the 964. I run slightly more aggressive geo than this on the 993 as my car has the RS stuff on it with the monoballs and camber plates so I can run greater camber ranges. I believe your car too may have front camber plates and monoballs so you can go beyond these settings if you need to in the future....

All I can definitively say if you will want to often those shocks off a fair bit for non track driving as it will make a big difference. I change mine regularly these days...

Cheers

M
Old 03-02-2014, 09:07 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thoughts on Targa Tour at the Rallysprint

Could be in for the May Targa tour. Sunday was too short and often too frustrating but at least one stage held enough promise to entice me back. The Pukekohe track tie in ended up saving the day as I could get some left over need for speed out of my system with Racing Ray egging me on.

Really enjoyed having a co-driver (Jane was great - professional and similarly speed addicted - she said that from the moment her insides went all squishy at the full launch into Stage one she knew it was going to be good ).

For those with too much time on their hands, my first taste of the Targa tour went like this:

Stage 1. First timers had to be behind the mid-pack BMW 328 control car. I made sure we were RIGHT behind him all the way and we were waved past to line up behind ChrisB for Stage 2.

Stage 2. Best of the day. Fast and flowing, with enough dodgy corners, lumps bumps and gravel to make it interesting. Felt like we were flying through the Kuiper belt as we ran up the hill in Chris's grit storm (we could have backed off but where's the fun in that?). Our two cars were waved past another slower car to make it 5 911 turbos in a row.

Stage 3. Was going to be epic as it was Stage 2 in reverse. Off to a great start then all tour cars were pulled back under caution about 2 kms in. It became a very slow procession through the rest of the stage as we'd all been sent off before the stage had been fully readied. Gave me a chance to see and appreciate the spectators though as we shrugged at them in shared frustration.

Stage 4. Should have been good as we'd moved further up the line of turbos. Maybe it was a hangover from Stage 3 but the start was not that clear and some cars didn't seem to realise they were supposed to be running at pace, with the official Targa lead car also taking it very easy and bunching everyone up behind. Pity, as a good run would have helped put the ghost of Stage 3 to rest.

'Stage 5'. On Friday, Targa sent out an email letting people know that Pukekohe racetrack was running a public track day and those finishing the Targa were welcome to attend for a reduced price. We'd brought helmets and overalls along for it so it made a great finale. New to Pukekohe, I took Jane out with me to learn the lines by tailing a 911 SC that had Racing Ray Williams aboard as an instructor. Great fun, but almost coasting down the straights to maintain position. Then out with Ray instructing from the passenger seat and going for it for several laps before we were pulled in with a water leak (no big drama - car will be back on road tomorrow). First time with Ray and I can see why he's so appreciated.

I hope Targa do more of these days as it is a quick and easy appetizer for longer events. I also really hope that they can follow the lead of some car clubs in allowing selected factory reinforced but uncaged cars to run in the sprints. A free run would be that much nicer still.

Thanks Chris (CS Mende) for the pics. Here we are playing nice behind that beemer on Stage 1. https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#...4-CCC03026A6F0

UPDATE - just saw Sean's message above which came in while I was writing this up and I only saw after I had posted. Haven't much changed what I wrote above as it is a true record of our experience on the day and I'm sure my enthusiasm for Targa is obvious anyway - as evidenced by me looking to do the May one and any future sprints around here. I would recommend the Targa to anyone who likes driving fast.

Last edited by 996tnz; 03-02-2014 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Sean's post
Old 03-02-2014, 09:15 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Walt, did you have a coolant pipe issue?
Old 03-02-2014, 09:24 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
Doug. Just thinking about your settings for the KWV3. Not sure on the 964+KW wisdom here but for the PSS10 I have some knowledge. Firstly, You definitely want to soften those shocks up for the road. Infact for NO Targa you want to soften them back a fair bit. I am assuming you have adjustable sway bars too? For Targa I run my fronts on 3-5 (0 being softest and 10 being hardest) and the rears I would choose 5-7. I often the front and rear sway bars to their softest settings. The roads are bumpy at speed and you need as much tyres contact patch on the road as you can get at all times. These settings were recommended to me by Dean and they did work quite well. For geo I would pull the front and rear camber back to the Porsche published OEM RS settings. For the track things get a bit more tricky and its also to do with your driving style, the track and the equipment on board. Im still playing here as I havent managed to get to teh same track twice to try out new settings! I have a motorsports accell/decell Diff so I soften the front up to reduce understeer and provide front end grip. I use 6 on the PSS10 front shocks and the middle hole on the RS ARB's (or one hole softer depending on the track). For teh rear I use 8 or 9 on the shocks and either the middle of the ARB holes or one hole firmer (there are only three on the rear ARB so that the firmest it will go). As I say still experimenting with this. For geo on the track I would recommend backing of front toe a fraction and increasing front camber by at least 1'.00" and rear camber by 0'.5"-0'.8" for the 964. I run slightly more aggressive geo than this on the 993 as my car has the RS stuff on it with the monoballs and camber plates so I can run greater camber ranges. I believe your car too may have front camber plates and monoballs so you can go beyond these settings if you need to in the future.... All I can definitively say if you will want to often those shocks off a fair bit for non track driving as it will make a big difference. I change mine regularly these days... Cheers M
Thanks Macca. I'll study this with interest tonight

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?