Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 05:00 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Just paid the custom's clearance fee. Looks like it will have to be after next Wed. Will be interesting to see what difference to times suspension makes? The before and after on the C3 was 3 seconds. I recon the 993 is only good for 1.22's at the moment.
Lucky for you I'm in the normal group next Wednesday, not that we 964 owners are on the prowl. Mind you, Dave and Doug are in your group.....
Old 02-18-2014, 05:02 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by shiraz
" I had rear pads flown up from Nelson"
Seems nelson is now half way between picton & chch . lol . hope you guys are bringing tomtoms south...
Sorry mate. I did mean Kaikura but my Maori is no where as good as my Bislama (pigeon english) LOL!
Old 02-18-2014, 05:05 AM
shiraz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately, I wont be going anywhere soon - big problems in China ( paua $). Am getting 20% less than last season. Love to meet anyone coming thru Kaikoura on trip though. Can try to get soun clip ( laptop won't let me use the letter between C & E). I like the music, but have no experience of others to compare - running m.sport soun box ( lots of in 'uction ) & cargraphic at back.Come thru...
Old 02-18-2014, 05:09 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am missing the C3 - think I prefer it to the 993
Paul, please elaborate! Is this just because the suspension on the 993 isn't sorted yet?
Old 02-18-2014, 05:15 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Paul, please elaborate! Is this just because the suspension on the 993 isn't sorted yet?
The C3 'dances' on the accelerator as it's only 1120kg, the throttle response is more instant. It's nimble.

My 993 doesn't have the same response and doesn't boggie until about 4,000 RPM. Under 4,000 RPM it almost feels like there is turbo lag.....until you get to 4K.

I need to figure out how to improve the throttle response..........

Suspension should make a big difference. The C3 was truly terrible to drive when I first got it. It took a while to dial it in and I guess the 993 will be the same.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:16 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Lucky for you I'm in the normal group next Wednesday, not that we 964 owners are on the prowl. Mind you, Dave and Doug are in your group.....
Bugger - would have been your 1 and only chance to pass me...........

I might have to sneak into your group for some mobile chicane practice...........(ha-ha hee-hee)

Old 02-18-2014, 05:21 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Bugger - would have been your 1 and only chance to pass me........... .
haha I'll make sure Dave/Doug have the GoPro for footage to post so it's not a total loss.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:22 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Just paid the custom's clearance fee.

Looks like it will have to be after next Wed. Will be interesting to see what difference to times suspension makes?

The before and after on the C3 was 3 seconds.

I recon the 993 is only good for 1.22's at the moment.
Paul. The 993 will come together with the PSS10, ARBs and Z221s. Its previous owner was pulling very good times out of that car 10 years ago around the tracks of NZ with little more than a race seat and maybe ditching some ballast. I picking you for a 1.18 at HD when above changes made. Its not that I think your 993 will be that much faster than say Dougs C2 as they are fairly similar trim and power to weight but you are the fastest aircooled driver out there today.

In terms of go faster parts, theres not much more than suspension and brakes I can offer as clues apart from weight. There as some obvious ones for weight which Im actually really surprised the 964 guys havent put into play. After the free stuff like removing rear seats and belts my next move was AGM Odyssey battery and bracket (around $600) with battery cut off switch and RS rear heater bypass pipe (around $250). Those two idets remove around 10-12Kg between them. I went Xover to remove another 9kg from the rear just to balance things up. Of course the tray went out years ago. Apart from some additional suspension stuff, brake cooling ducts and around another 15kg of lightening in the undercarriage (raw CF parts to replace the transmission tunnel cover, fuel pump housing etc), there really isnt anything else in there to make the car quicker. The cams make it peaky and the LINK makes the throttle response better but I had it tuned back by 16 bhp for longevity and reliability so its not making much more power peak than the Varioram 993. Infact the VR 993 has a torque advantage still in the mid range. Ive never taken a 964 for a drive on the track or a fast back road so I cant comment for sure but my guess is something in bog standard trim I doubt there is more than 0.5s around a circuit like HD same driver, same conditions, same set up etc.

When you talk to Peter about Geo, ask him to replicate the settings Im having done this week (tell him the same setting hes just done for me). Its more than youd want as a DD but it will be perfect for the track and some touring. The secret sauce is in the front toe in and caster settings....
Old 02-18-2014, 05:23 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Bugger - would have been your 1 and only chance to pass me........... I might have to sneak into your group for some mobile chicane practice...........(ha-ha hee-hee) .
Hey, you are stealing lines off the "laughing gnome". I'll load that on my iPhone and play it through the radio on the track so the GoPro footage has suitable music.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:24 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS ZWEI View Post
When does the GT3 arrive Mark?

I was in Auckland on the weekend and stopped in at Giltraps and checked out the RS 4.0, what do we think of the 430K asking price?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-697882068.htm

What were they new?

Nik. That's the most interesting question of the day!

My question back at you is why would Richard Giltrap and Bill Farmer both choose to sell there 997GT3RS 4.0?

My view is that this car has already become too collectable to use and there in lies the crying shame. $430K is the right price for that car given thats what it would cost to buy one in the UK and import it to New Zealand. $799K is a BS speculative price and a total wast of time even advertising it. One (or one day both) of those cars will end up overseas in the near future I should suspect.

So you walk into Giltraps and front up 430 large. Now you have 1 of 2 (or soon 1 of 1?) irreplaceable collectable Porsches which like a rare piece of pottery you can use only at risk that should you biff it in Turn 1 at HD you can likely never (easily) replace it again! What's the point. Honestly? So you can hang out here with your rare bird and shoot **** with the best of us knowing you have one one-upmanship during a pub version of Top Trumps?

I look at my new GT3 (due into NZ in 3 weeks). It cost ne just over half of that 4.0RS. I can take it to the track (bugger it will miss the SITT but it will be on the NITT) and should the unthinkable happen I can order a new one. I can drive through Europe in winter on super narrow roads, go for 7 hour drives in the mountains of France doubling and in a few occasions tripling the speed limits (on quiet roads in the middle of nowhere for those PC types easily offended) and Im not worrying about my irreplaceable museum piece!

Heres a true story. My nan, shes 91. When she was 40 she bought a dinning suit. Expensive for a working class UK couple. She loved the vase used as an in-store decoration piece on the table and says to the salesamen "will you throw that in if I buy this dinning suit"? He saus sure. Deal is done. For 40 years we have eaten from that table and for 40 years the most hideous multi coloured art Nouveu looking piece of china has sat on it. Nan loves it. Then 8 years ago she sees an identical piece on antique road show. It fetched 10K GBP! She tells dad, he makes a few phone calls and next thing shes being offered 17K for an original Clarence Cliff piece of pottery. Did I say it was hideous? Shes mid 80s and decided to take the money. Good move as today its worth half as much (bubble on pottery had burst).

Isnt that the way it should be? You buy it cause you love it, you get a life time of pleasure out of it and if it turn s out to be worth a mint when you turn 80 then you spend your twilight years in cocaine and young girls LOL!

The people that dont have the wedge dream the dream of ownership, the truly wealthy just buy it, consume it and move onto the next thing. Somewhere in the grey is this bunch here. Guess you have to try these things to have a valid opinion. Ive done it with watches and a lesser degree cars. Not my scene. Might suit those who like Top Trumps and bars tho. Each to their own...would be boring any other way.
What do you think it would cost to pick up a 997.2 gt3rs and then ship to Manthey for the mega 530hp engine upgrade? and land in NZ? 260k?
Old 02-18-2014, 05:26 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Oh - before I forget - I saw a 991 911-50 in the flesh last night. The car was black. Apparently there are 3 in NZ, one of each colour option.

Nice but not as unique or special as I was hoping - just looked like a well spec'ed 991.

The Sport Classic is still my pick of these 'marketing specials'..........
Old 02-18-2014, 05:30 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Pete. whats the low down on 98 octane fuel in South Island?

Ive jhust learned there are no 98 service stations in Southland! If that is true Im in big trouble as I cant run my car at the track on anything less than 98 (its tuned on 98 and has no knock sensors so will run way lean on the track on 96 - highly not advised by the tuner).

Im enquiring into some AVgas as this is available from Southern Wings near the airport in Invercargill. I can run Avgas blend.

Is anyone bringing down any Jerry Cans? Shoould we be buying a 20L plastic container each in Queens-town and taking it with us to Ivercargill? Not that it would last long....
Old 02-18-2014, 05:35 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

I thought 993's had knock sensors.

Pete has the Pejero and a trailer, so we can stock up on 20l cans of 98.........

Might have to buy 5 each.......
Old 02-18-2014, 05:37 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088
Quote:

What do you think it would cost to pick up a 997.2 gt3rs and then ship to Manthey for the mega 530hp engine upgrade? and land in NZ? 260k?
85k GBP for a reasonable mileage and condition base. Id imagine the 4.0 or 4.2L Manthey full works package would run 25k GBP. Youd want to do brakes and a few other items while in there to make it right. They will definitely recommend you biff the stock dampers for their custom clubsport KW efforts plus special Geo - add around 10K GBP for the hardware, install and set up an an hour on the Ring for tuning. 120K GBP plus CIF + GST + compliance. Id say landed you are close. Id say 280-290K NZD to be realistic. My broker offered me a very early build 991 GT3 RS 4 weeks ago for similar money. I passed on it and gave the lead to the Carrera GT owner on this board and another guy I know in NZ who is dead set to own one. It may still be available if you are interested. He can get anything you want from anywhere basically.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:40 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Paul. The 993 will come together with the PSS10, ARBs and Z221s. Its previous owner was pulling very good times out of that car 10 years ago around the tracks of NZ with little more than a race seat and maybe ditching some ballast. I picking you for a 1.18 at HD when above changes made. Its not that I think your 993 will be that much faster than say Dougs C2 as they are fairly similar trim and power to weight but you are the fastest aircooled driver out there today.

In terms of go faster parts, theres not much more than suspension and brakes I can offer as clues apart from weight. There as some obvious ones for weight which Im actually really surprised the 964 guys havent put into play. After the free stuff like removing rear seats and belts my next move was AGM Odyssey battery and bracket (around $600) with battery cut off switch and RS rear heater bypass pipe (around $250). Those two idets remove around 10-12Kg between them. I went Xover to remove another 9kg from the rear just to balance things up. Of course the tray went out years ago. Apart from some additional suspension stuff, brake cooling ducts and around another 15kg of lightening in the undercarriage (raw CF parts to replace the transmission tunnel cover, fuel pump housing etc), there really isnt anything else in there to make the car quicker. The cams make it peaky and the LINK makes the throttle response better but I had it tuned back by 16 bhp for longevity and reliability so its not making much more power peak than the Varioram 993. Infact the VR 993 has a torque advantage still in the mid range. Ive never taken a 964 for a drive on the track or a fast back road so I cant comment for sure but my guess is something in bog standard trim I doubt there is more than 0.5s around a circuit like HD same driver, same conditions, same set up etc.

When you talk to Peter about Geo, ask him to replicate the settings Im having done this week (tell him the same setting hes just done for me). Its more than youd want as a DD but it will be perfect for the track and some touring. The secret sauce is in the front toe in and caster settings....
The problem is you need to find 100kg to make a difference - and now it's an RS Rep with no back seats........

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?