Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 10:31 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
LOL. Yep, I can see Pauls 993 "unfortunately breaking down" on that track day...
Don't jinx me.

I nearly broke down at the last play day, a seal in the clutch went, so doing lots of preventative maintenance to the clutch.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:04 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Is that a seal inside the clutch (i.e. spline shaft) or the clutch slave cylinder?
Old 03-04-2014, 11:05 PM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Mate - what do you expect us to say here. We are all Pcar fans and if you have read the 700-od pages, we all acknowledge the value a 944 offers (only Macca Pooh-Pooh's, but he can afford to track a 911 ).

Yes that car is good, but you will need to do work to get it road registered.

Pete managed to find a road reg RHD 944, but they are hard to find. You may need to build one up.

Steve at Europacific has a RHD 968 that is road registered. He is in the process of doing it up and you could probably pick your new colour if you where quick. White or 986 CS yellow would be my picks.

Couldn't figure out how to work the multi-quote so I'll do these one at a time!

I hadn't considered 968s since I've never seen a manual for sale except the CS that was around for a while and out of my price range. I imagine a manual non-CS would be in the high teens?
Old 03-04-2014, 11:08 PM
993 Targa
Racer

Originally Posted by mjharrisonnz
The new exhaust is from AWE Tuning in the US and is straight pipes.

The car will start the wrap process soon and that is happening at CCS whilst in pieces.

After that it will head to Napier by truck. It's only done 3000km so not keen to add 500km just to get it home.

Cheers

Matt
Makes sense about the wrap, coverage should be easier in some areas with them off, is it all one piece of wrap though?

And fair enough about the kms!
Old 03-04-2014, 11:22 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pete. Your boat still on track for the weekend? Getting close now. You must be excited!
Yep - due 9:30pm on Sunday. Still seeing if I can swing compliance by next Friday (but being realistic).
Old 03-04-2014, 11:45 PM
mjg
Pro

Dropped my wing in to Haslers to be sanded and recleared, and ordered a new set of covers for the hex nut attachment on the upright from CCS since the old ones break after a few removals... $88 each for a tiny bit of plastic! Might be cheaper to have a set made out of gold, except the extra weight would ruin my lap times. Tempted to use a bit of silver race tape to cover the holes.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:07 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by mjg
Dropped my wing in to Haslers to be sanded and recleared, and ordered a new set of covers for the hex nut attachment on the upright from CCS since the old ones break after a few removals... $88 each for a tiny bit of plastic! Might be cheaper to have a set made out of gold, except the extra weight would ruin my lap times. Tempted to use a bit of silver race tape to cover the holes.
Jeez, they must be that price because they are specially built to last, right? Or replacements pay for the porsche christmas party
Old 03-05-2014, 01:27 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by 993 Targa
On a non-CGT grovelling note, I'd like some advice from the keen trackdayers/racers here. I am planning on buying a trackday car that I can move into racing with and have narrowed it to 3 options (I think, I always change my mind) 1. E36 320i BMW, start it out in 2k Cup before building everything up to be ready for the BMW Open 2L class. Upside here is that it's cheap to begin with and eligible for a cheap series, the 2k Cup. Downside is once it's a 2L class car it will be a more expensive series and have cost me a bit and still be pretty slow really. 2. E36 M3, skip the 2k Cup, go for track days building it up for BMW Open. Upside here is it will be a much quicker car and better base package, downside is I'm competing against the big boys with the big budgets then. 3. 944. I really do like my Porsche's and the race series would be quite fun to enter. Upside is the base package is quick and I'd be competing alongside GTRNZ which I can convince a friend to enter. Downside is once again budgets are a fair bit higher and I'm not sure about 944 parts availability versus the world of choices for E36s. Also I can only seem to find left hand drive S2s for sale and I'm not sure how good that would be for occasional road use and even on the track since I'm not used to it. Obviously the cheapest option is to buy someone's pre-built race car (this one any good? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=695313020) but first;y I'm earning the money as I'd spend it and secondly I think I would enjoy building up a car as much as I would racing it.
What is your track/race experience and budget? I've been track driving in earnest since last July. The more I learn the more I realise I don't know. The following are my thoughts:

1. Be honest with yourself about your current capabilities. Fast road driving is not the same as fast track driving and racing is different again.

2. Have a goal and a plan to reach it, preferably with a trusted advisor. Personal tuition will be a significant factor, not go faster bits.

3. Have a budget you think is sufficient to make that goal happen, then double it.

4. Be prepared for set backs. Cars break far more often when driven hard.

I'm reaching the limit of my current road/track car. My next step is to build race craft. I will likely do that with a competitive car in the 2kcup. Right now that looks like a MR2. When I have reached my goal there I will sell the car and start with a new platform, preferably with a competitive car that someone else has poured money into. I can afford to go higher spec, but I will push harder in a car that I can walk away from. Many of us have been faced with decisions based on sunk funds that probably didn't make much sense.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:44 AM
Runtothehills
Racer

I reckon you could do a lot worse than a well sorted BMW 3 series at this point. Especially if you want a front engine rear wheel drive German car. But, My hunch is the porsche 944 will be nicer to own and you'll feel better about the thousands you'll put be putting into either platform anyway. hmmm maybe a porsche is always worth it...
Old 03-05-2014, 02:11 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Im a real big fan of the BMW E30 2.0 to develop race-craft. Light, low cost and I think many here would be surprised at how competitive they can be. Also there is tonnes of experience out there for these as they are used in club series racing in UK & USA. My 0.2c

IMO race-craft is best learnt in a one make series. Once Im done with track driving (no time soon given my lack of access to regular track days!) I will sign up for any one make series I can afford/justify running a season in. To me personally, there is nothing better to test me as a driver than going up against drivers in identical cars. Setup/reliability aside this becomes more a level playing field. Sure theres plenty of fun to be had in 2K cup but I suspect its a very short term bridge to learning to become a better driver, although it obviously gives much more time in learning about "swapping paint" and close call racing...
Old 03-05-2014, 03:38 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Now this is pretty cool
Attached Images  
Old 03-05-2014, 03:43 AM
O2GO
Drifting

And this looks like it can fly (just some cool Porsches off my Facebook porsche feed tonight)
Attached Images    
Old 03-05-2014, 04:28 AM
mjharrisonnz
Instructor

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Matt,

Did you buy this new in NZ or import it?

Would you be brave enough to take this beast to the track??

Cheers
PM
Hi,

Bit confused with your question so will answer more than what you are asking;

The exhaust was purchased direct from AWE in the US in December and I imported it.

The car was sold new in NZ. It was the subject of a court battle to get it registered as it's LHD and this in turn led to the commencement of the current special interest vehicle system. Therefore it is officially NZ new.

A friend of mine purchased it from the original owner and then I purchased it from him in 2012. It has always been serviced at CCS since the day it arrived and in fact Tony Elsmore from CCS has done a large proportion of the Kms in it.

It has been on the track before with the previous owner in Taupo. They saw some very big speeds down the main straight! I will definitely take it on track at some stage and as I have new tyres being fitted at present some track time will happen some time this year. With the old tyres it was trying to kill you each time you gave it a prod on the gas pedal........
Old 03-05-2014, 04:32 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Matt. Why don't you join us at Taupo in mid September. We are running our annual North Island Track Tour and will have private use-age of the track as we did last year.....
Old 03-05-2014, 05:12 AM
mjharrisonnz
Instructor

Matt. Why don't you join us at Taupo in mid September. We are running our annual North Island Track Tour and will have private use-age of the track as we did last year.....
I'll be keen - let me know the dates etc.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?