Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 12:08 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^^^ John. The slogan reminds me of something I was taught in biology about females that co-habitat close to one another synchronising certain biological rhythms...
Old 02-21-2014, 12:18 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
^^^^^ John. The slogan reminds me of something I was taught in biology about females that co-habitat close to one another synchronising certain biological rhythms...
Exactly. Never been stupid enough to ask female colleagues if it's true!
Old 02-21-2014, 12:23 AM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maxem
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/motoring/n...ectid=11206845

At $130k, I'd buy one. Even if they are a fire risk.
This must have been what you were talking about earlier Macca
130k! Some more great reporting and Motoring journalism from the NZ Herald.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:23 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Smart man! If you and Doug start getting grumpy on the trip at the same time well be able to confirm the theory..........unless of course i its because the 993 have relegated you both to back markers!

Actually us 964/993 boys (four of us) should join in solidarity as we will be the slowest four cars in our group of 12. Everything else is sporting 100-200 more bhp and bristling with new technology/improvements and water cooled...barr Steve (assumes RS replica) who knows the tracks and can actually drive!
Old 02-21-2014, 01:01 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
1. We won't stop taking the mickey out of you - ever - sorry! 2. PCNZs turn to stuff up the scheduling as that's the Targa Sprint day. So Doug will be otherwise engaged, along with a bunch of the rest of us. Shame as I would have been in for this. Gary is taking my old C4 though.
I was very keen to support this event..... But like you say, the dates clash with the Ecolight Targa. . Its something ive tried to do with CanTeen, a charity I support a lot, but they were a bit to concerned about being PC and safety etc to accept the offer.... Hense was very keen but disappointed that the dates clashed.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:05 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
Another day and more progress. The Plastidip has dried to a more even texture. Very acceptable for track tyres. Also good news on the throttle. Some of you will remember I had clutch engagement issues after the rebuild. The pedal was at a different level to 'normal' boxes so we sourced a second hand box from Steve. It fixed the clutch problem immediately, but unwittingly impacted the throttle. Basically I have NEVER had full throttle travel or the benefit of WOT triggering on the ECU since the rebuild. How much? We don't know, but the WOT switch is supposed to trip at 78% throttle. Mine never tripped. I'm not going for a time attack on Wednesday in the Normal group but will take the AIM to record data for later comparison i.e. I will run sectors at full noise.
Hopefully you found a few extra HP John. Contis' checked Lola's WOT and it was all good. In fact, all the "common" problems that can let you down were checked out and the only issues (now fixed) were the fan/alternator bearing had play (renewed) and the fan belt sensor wheel was cracked (replaced). So, have certainly tried to avoid any issues on the tour.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:07 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Ron has been doing some amazing planning for the SITT driving and he and Patsy are coming on Saturday.

Can someone confirm the time, and is it at Doug's or John's?

If Doug's - I need an address please?

Ta
Old 02-21-2014, 01:09 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Targa Tour - tyres and co-driver

...So it was a lucky save and probably a good future lesson for me, Doug and anyone hoping to really rag the cars on the back roads in the dry on rough dirty chip seal with soft R compounds. They dont have steel belts in them and as he said they are not meant for ripping up our dirty back roads. That being said it sounds like I got a little unlucky. Im glad I decided long ago to drive to SI on the road tyres tho.
Thanks Macca for the heads up. My R-Comps are just being released from customs and while I wasn't really planning to Targa Tour them, your post has killed whatever temptation remained.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:22 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Walt. No problem. You may or may not have seen the earlier pictures (below). The Z221 C70 is a very soft compound however. I think you could probably safely run something like a R888 no problems. As Pete Alder said - just unlucky really but what surprised me is it can start as a small tear and get bigger quite rapidly...
Attached Images   
Old 02-21-2014, 01:26 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Aircon doesn't work. The system is an unwanted passenger. I don't think anyone has sat in my passenger seat since I got the car. That's 8.5kg odd of unnecessary weight as well. It may not be worth much at my driving level but I can't leave things alone.
You sat in it with me driving once John :-) i wouldn't like to not have a passenger seat for DD.

John. Use whatever tyre break in method you did before! I cant see you getting any more life out of them than that! Pete fitted my replacement Z221 yesterday (geo today on car). Said I was just unlucky with the tear and that once up to heat for fast road driving (like some parts of the drive to Langs beach in Nov when it likely happened) you dont need to run over something more than a largish sharp rock with those soft compounds to create a small slip which starts to tear. He said it would have started as a small slit but because of the camber, temperature and cornering forces would take little time to open up to the size it was (almost 4cm) and not much longer (anther few hundred fast road kms) to have opened up twice again. So it was a lucky save and probably a good future lesson for me, Doug and anyone hoping to really rag the cars on the back roads in the dry on rough dirty chip seal with soft R compounds. They dont have steel belts in them and as he said they are not meant for ripping up our dirty back roads. That being said it sounds like I got a little unlucky. Im glad I decided long ago to drive to SI on the road tyres tho.
Glad I'm on road tyres.... Its what they're designed for.

Doug. Good work on the bolt and motor. Good things take time. Sounds like the car will be fit and healthy for your track outing on the 26th and the subsequent Targa intro. Yes Ron has been working hard in the background. Its great he found that gas station in Greymouth. Shame about Southland but Nulon will work for most there. Technically a Greymouth refill should get us (just) to Queenstown via FJ. At FJ we will get the spa fired up and the Vino breathing for you hard assed 9 hour drive types. I think its just Matt, yourself and John right? Petes taking direct route? Id imagine by the end of the SITT your fast road pace in the 964 will be approaching the 987...what a great chance to get some serious 911 experience under your belt all in one hit!
Im hoping so. Im not taking the C2 on the Targa Tour. Im not familiar enough with it yet to push it really hard so I'm taking the Boxster which I can comfortably throw around and know my limits. Famous last words.

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Can someone confirm the time, and is it at Doug's or John's? If Doug's - I need an address please? Ta
It is at my place at 5pm tomorrow. Simple barbie and beer. Bring beer. I'll PM my address rather than publish it to the world. Details are on the RSG board under the SITT page. All RSG SITT and Cape Reinga tour participants and their wives/girlfriends are welcome.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:36 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

And for us newbies learning from others experience. That old cliche that there are old pilots and bold pilots but no old bold pilots has a basis in fact. Chris M's accident reinforces that we are not playing tiddlywinks.
You keep bringing that up. My grampa was a pilot in the pre-Airforce Army Air Corps. He said the same. Survived a few dead stick landings, built a plane he flew and made it to 86 w/o getting flattened. I hope this is my only 'dead stick landing' ...
Old 02-21-2014, 01:57 AM
jsivvy
Intermediate

Default Last bit of gear in garage

Sold the 964 T last night, feel like when my high school girlfriend told me she "just wanted to be friends". Had to order pizza and drink a bottle of pinot to relax after that.

So now I have to get rid of the last thing that reminds me of her, my AC DK13HLQ trolley jack (the 918 w/Weissach package of jacks). Figured the group might be interested. 1300kg with a quick lift pedal. Think is about the highest raised height jack you can buy that will fit under a lowered 911. Also includes a cross beam adapter so you can raise one whole end at a time. Anyways, some pics below. Let me know if interested otherwise will be on Trademe by Monday.
Attached Images    
Old 02-21-2014, 01:58 AM
jsivvy
Intermediate

Default Sorry about the massive pics!

Jeeze, I just took the whole page.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:02 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CS Mende
You keep bringing that up. My grampa was a pilot in the pre-Airforce Army Air Corps. He said the same. Survived a few dead stick landings, built a plane he flew and made it to 86 w/o getting flattened. I hope this is my only 'dead stick landing' ...
Yes, I do keep on bringing it up. I was a Chief Risk Officer for the last 7 years so I look to understand and manage risk. That's the focus here. Don't need to emphasise it at the BBQ tomorrow though
Old 02-21-2014, 02:04 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jsivvy
Sold the 964 T last night, feel like when my high school girlfriend told me she "just wanted to be friends". Had to order pizza and drink a bottle of pinot to relax after that. So now I have to get rid of the last thing that reminds me of her, my AC DK13HLQ trolley jack (the 918 w/Weissach package of jacks). Figured the group might be interested. 1300kg with a quick lift pedal. Think is about the highest raised height jack you can buy that will fit under a lowered 911. Also includes a cross beam adapter so you can raise one whole end at a time. Anyways, some pics below. Let me know if interested otherwise will be on Trademe by Monday.
Is is staying in Kohi?

Very interested in the. Cross beam concept. Will it lift a 911 at either end?

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?