Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 04:17 AM
PHG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
You must have been working hard to get tail happy on Z221s with 4wd and PSM. Very addictive so hard to go back to squealing road tyres after tasting the grip track tyres give.
Yea, I was.. got very late on braking as no tyre wobble, and got on the power a bit quick. First time I've driven just on tipo, usually run as a manual and found if I did not have enuff pedal early, it changed to third which gave no pull thru, so was keeping the power on.
We had Kayne Scott there, who was pedalling his Dads 997TT ..he was great to follow.. big nuts tho!
I don't know if the PSM was working as no judder, wobbles or otherwise, just a quick handful of opposite with power on and it straightened in time to set up for 3
Missed Paul tho, no diving in the corners, no undertaking into T1, no oil on the screen....
Old 03-06-2014, 04:40 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Just doing some reconnaissance works boys - I look forward to being here for real very shortly:
ahhh...my old home track
Old 03-06-2014, 04:52 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by PHG
Yea, I was.. got very late on braking as no tyre wobble, and got on the power a bit quick. First time I've driven just on tipo, usually run as a manual and found if I did not have enuff pedal early, it changed to third which gave no pull thru, so was keeping the power on. We had Kayne Scott there, who was pedalling his Dads 997TT ..he was great to follow.. big nuts tho! I don't know if the PSM was working as no judder, wobbles or otherwise, just a quick handful of opposite with power on and it straightened in time to set up for 3 Missed Paul tho, no diving in the corners, no undertaking into T1, no oil on the screen....
He's reformed since then.....Tui anyone?
Old 03-06-2014, 05:22 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Last sleep. Car packed and refueled. Trip odometer set to zero. Starting km = 140,533. Any guesses what it will be on delivery to the transport company on 28/3? I'm guessing somewhere close to 146,000.

Go cars not show cars!
Attached Images  
Old 03-06-2014, 05:28 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PHG
Missed Paul tho, no diving in the corners, no undertaking into T1, no oil on the screen....
Thanks Phil - there's always next time.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:31 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Last sleep. Car packed and refueled. Trip odometer set to zero. Starting km = 140,533. Any guesses what it will be on delivery to the transport company on 28/3? I'm guessing somewhere close to 146,000.

Go cars not show cars!
Break a leg John and Doug.

(As opposed to some car parts)

I wish you guys well, see you on Sunday and in Chch.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:45 AM
PHG
Racer

Thanks Phil - there's always next time.

you would have enjoyed talking with Kayne, Paul.. He just pointed out wee things you thought were right..but were not..
I tried one of his suggestions on later runs and it was so much smoother/faster.. or at least felt so.
You, being a better driver, would have been able to turn his thoughts into practice way better than me.. Incidently , he does not double apex the sweeper..says unless you get it dead right every time, it unbalances the car for exit..
Old 03-06-2014, 01:13 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Break a leg John and Doug. (As opposed to some car parts) I wish you guys well, see you on Sunday and in Chch.
Thanks Paul. I'm excited but do these kind of epic trips at least once a year. This year twice :-) Cool to see John so excited about it too. There's something very special about Cape Reinga. I've only been twice, when I was about 10 and again a couple of years ago, both times on a bus tour. Visiting is a kind of spiritual experience. The Pacific and Tasman meet violently with different colours and a strip of foamy trauma where they collide. I hope the weather will be fine while we are there so we can experience the view over this expanse. It will be the first time I've driven up there myself. In the past it's been on a bus with the trip up or down 90 mile beach at 100kph in the bus direction depending on the tide, That's pretty cool.

Originally Posted by PHG
you would have enjoyed talking with Kayne, Paul.. He just pointed out wee things you thought were right..but were not.. I tried one of his suggestions on later runs and it was so much smoother/faster.. or at least felt so. You, being a better driver, would have been able to turn his thoughts into practice way better than me.. Incidently , he does not double apex the sweeper..says unless you get it dead right every time, it unbalances the car for exit..
I spent a day trying to get the double apex of turn 10 nailed, much of it following John who took the corner normally. I couldn't nail it in the Boxster. John got distance on me every time so I gave up. I suspect it suits cars with a lot more power as it extends the length of acceleration out of the corner (like lengthening the straight). Racing Ray tried to teach me how to do it and said there was a second in it when I got it right. I suspect in a GT3 or Turbo, he will be spot on.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:17 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
ahhh...my old home track
What's the deal here, are we getting another track option for us at Ardmore?
Old 03-06-2014, 01:28 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Thanks Paul. I'm excited but do these kind of epic trips at least once a year. This year twice :-) Cool to see John so excited about it too. There's something very special about Cape Reinga. I've only been twice, when I was about 10 and again a couple of years ago, both times on a bus tour. Visiting is a kind of spiritual experience. The Pacific and Tasman meet violently with different colours and a strip of foamy trauma where they collide. I hope the weather will be fine while we are there so we can experience the view over this expanse. It will be the first time I've driven up there myself. In the past it's been on a bus with the trip up or down 90 mile beach at 100kph in the bus direction depending on the tide, That's pretty cool.
Right. I'm obviously the ugly tourist having a second childhood. I'll put the golf club back in the bag (was going to drive a ball into foamy trauma).

Can't offload my passengers though. Kids want the gnome to travel NZ and come back to the garden. Sister wants Manchester Fred filled with sand from both ends of the country and the golf sheep keeps the GoPro safe.
Attached Images  
Old 03-06-2014, 01:33 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I spent a day trying to get the double apex of turn 10 nailed, much of it following John who took the corner normally. I couldn't nail it in the Boxster. John got distance on me every time so I gave up. I suspect it suits cars with a lot more power as it extends the length of acceleration out of the corner (like lengthening the straight). Racing Ray tried to teach me how to do it and said there was a second in it when I got it right. I suspect in a GT3 or Turbo, he will be spot on.
I wondered what was happening there. It was the most obvious sign to me that I was finally competitive as usually you overtake me on the exit to the sweeper.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:46 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PHG
Incidently , he does not double apex the sweeper..says unless you get it dead right every time, it unbalances the car for exit..
I think it depends on the car. In my black 911, I felt double apexing is MUCH safer and quicker as you didn't have the car on the edge of adhesion for so long, but in Pete's 944, double apexing felt dumb and the car preferred a continuous curve.

I can't comment for the 993??

I have an opposite view on unbalancing the car, double apexing shortens the curve and extends the straight (in theory), so you have more time and chances to get a better line onto straight.

Who cares - just do what feels best for you.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:59 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Right. I'm obviously the ugly tourist having a second childhood. I'll put the golf club back in the bag (was going to drive a ball into foamy trauma). Can't offload my passengers though. Kids want the gnome to travel NZ and come back to the garden. Sister wants Manchester Fred filled with sand from both ends of the country and the golf sheep keeps the GoPro safe.
Ha ha. That's awesome.

No, you are not to whack a golf ball into the sea at Cape Reinga. And your quest for sand reminds me of that quote on Crocodile Dundee, "If John wants his sand he can go down and get it his bloody self". It's a long climb down John :-)
Old 03-06-2014, 06:42 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Ha ha. That's awesome. No, you are not to whack a golf ball into the sea at Cape Reinga. And your quest for sand reminds me of that quote on Crocodile Dundee, "If John wants his sand he can go down and get it his bloody self". It's a long climb down John :-)
Don't feel like a climb so I'll get some 'close proximity' sand on the way back. Any idea how long it will take to get from the CBD to Soljans at say 4:30?
Old 03-06-2014, 07:00 PM
O2GO
Drifting

I've just chatted with an employee who lives in henderson. Friday afternoon advice
Time leaving CBD Time taken
4:15pm 25 minutes
4:25pm. 35 minutes
4:30pm. 45 minutes, no accidents
4:45pm. 45-90 minutes if accident/problem
My experience personally going north via n/w mway has never been bad

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?