Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 11:58 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

No idea what's going on here....Im guessing two down one left running (964T)?
Old 01-27-2014, 12:05 AM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
It was 7/10th's - the other 3/10th's will come when the PSS10's are installed, and I get around to putting in track pads and RS geo at some stage.....

So, what's the consensus about the difference between Puke and HD times. By my guess it's around 3-4 seconds, but could come down to 2 seconds (Puke being 2 seconds slower) if we spent more time at Puke??

Macca - didn't embarrass the 993 fraternity too much, the 993 smoked all the 964's on the track (luckily Sean and Steve not in theirs) - but there is some serious time to find and dialing in to do. My best times were 1.23's today, I think this could come down to 1.20 dead with proper suspension set-up, race pads and more time at the track.

I think the car enjoyed the blow-out there is a serious carbon lining in the exhaust.........

Were you guys using the full back straight?
Old 01-27-2014, 12:06 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 643 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
No idea what's going on here....Im guessing two down one left running (964T)?
Yes, blew a hose or joint in the cooling system. Ironic considering one week ago I was sprayed by a Ferrari who's tank gave up the ghost.

Bloody water pumpers. Still up until then I was going well: 1:21.62 was my fastest. So not a bad day. Tyres and wheels worked well.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:08 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
Were you guys using the full back straight?
New configuration. It has a chicane.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:16 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

?

Macca - didn't embarrass the 993 fraternity too much, the 993 smoked all the 964's on the track (luckily Sean and Steve not in theirs) - but there is some serious time to find and dialing in to do. My best times were 1.23's today, I think this could come down to 1.20 dead with proper suspension set-up, race pads and more time at the track.

Good to hear buddy!

I have 4 years of detailed geo experience with my 993 (all courtesy of Peter Alder of course LOL!) so plenty of reference there for when you get your suspension sorted.

As Ive said so may times before the suspension is the key to quick confident lap times. When you have shocks/arbs set up on that car with good geo and some more practice with the new car you will definitely find another 3-4 seconds out there. I guess HD is the better proving ground as its where you have your experience and reference laps. I think on those Z221s you would have been safe under 1.20 today. As you know with any car its about dialling it in and the only way to do that is to have repeated and lengthy seat time in it. Looking at your car early today I think lowering on new shocks will help COG, some 5mm spaces on the front wheels may improve track and reduce under-steer, firming up the roll bars at the back will again reduce under-steer, bushes/tie rods will improve feedback. Non of this will adversely affect road performance. Some lightweight buckets would strip 40kg from the car but could compromise daily duty with the family. Once on new shocks/arbs lowered to say RS+10mm Id be looking to bypass RS geo (tried that) and get a fraction more aggressive with -1'.30" or even -2.0 front and rear camber. The front on the 993 can take up to that without adjustable perches. I have all the factory specs from the cup, GT2, and RSR cars from the day. The secret is in the front and rear toe in settings!

Anyway lots to look forward to and anticipate. Suggest you give it an HD shake down in the nest few weeks then give it to dean and Pete Alder to check everything over for the SITT (make sure you havent introduced play into A arms and toe links etc and Pete to get your geo spot on - the 993 is notorious for loosing geo easily hence I got the heim jointed arms with the rear kinematic toe lock in plates!).

Sounds like you had a great day (well better than Johns by the looks). More info and pics please?

John. What happened? The 996 looks like has blotted its record? I do hope its not expensive/serious mate!
Old 01-27-2014, 12:16 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

John - being blunt - you need to sell all 3 P-cars, buy a 997.1 GT3 and put $60-80K into the bank. The 997 can be used daily and will make an awesome track car................
As painful as it is posting this sitting outside contis waiting to be picked up, I like moving from car to car. The 996TT let me down at the end, but it was easy to drive. Brakes never faded or squealed. Point and shoot. Could definitely get into the 1:20s at Puke with it.

As for the 964 group. No, not nearly as fast but a good turnout and they were having fun. I don't get any satisfaction blasting past a 250hp car when I have 420hp and handling management. I appreciate the GT3 but it's not a turn key proposition to keep up with the faster RSG guys and the cost is in the depreciation.

Steve reckons my C4 fan is good for another 2 years. I'll have all cars in the garage working by Friday.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:31 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Good to know it was a minor issue John and it sounds like you caught it before it could create an expensive issue! That's a successful day out in my book.

Im sure Steve is right and hopefully you can defer fan maintenance for a year or two yet.

The 997 GT3 should be a turn key proposition to keep the other RSG guys at bay. They are rock solid maintenance wise and have done all their depreciation. If you exclude Nigel who has won Bridgetone in the past its really only Matt, Chris (in the Turbo) and Steve that could keep a 997.1 GT3 in check at HD IMO.

Anyway, as you say you enjoy moving between cars and I understand that. Eventually that may change as it did for me. Im about to have two and Im pretty sure one of them will get all my time (but just unsure which one yet!). Ive just sorted through my footage and I have to admit the GT3 is bloody compelling for a fly in drive fly out reliability and cost of ownership point of view. Depreciation is the killer on a new car...

Did Richard make it out with the 991 Gt3 today?
Old 01-27-2014, 12:44 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So, what's the consensus about the difference between Puke and HD times. By my guess it's around 3-4 seconds, but could come down to 2 seconds (Puke being 2 seconds slower) if we spent more time at Puke??
5 seconds for me, but my times are proportionally slower anyway and I'm sure I could do better with a bit more practice at Puke. There are a couple of corners in particular I never got right. Your 2 seconds slower sounds about right to me.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:47 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Did Richard make it out with the 991 Gt3 today?
Yes. He did one "launch control"-style start from the pitlane which was quite something (as you'll know).
Old 01-27-2014, 12:51 AM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Richard was there and gave the GT3 a pretty thorough breaking in! Sounded good. I think he was staying away from the last thousandrpm most of the time, but might have snuck up there a handful of times. Certainly wasn't holding back. Have to say that I find the 997.2 GT3 better looking than the 991 GT3, although some of that may come down to preferring the colour of Neil's white over Richard's red.

Great day, would like to go there again with RSG when possible. Takes a bit of time to build up the nerve to go quick over such a bumpy surface, but it certainly keeps things interesting. Noticed just as I was leaving that my left exhaust tip was loose and had been rubbing on the heat shield, will need to get under there and tighten everything up now that it has seen a bit of heat.

My time is about 4s slower at Pukekohe, but there's more time left on the table for someone with bigger *****. Not sure what the ultimate time difference would be for me.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:02 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

991 GT3.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:09 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I had the radar gun. Under the passenger bridge I recorded the following in km/hr

991 GT3 190,190,192,190
997 GT3 184,187,190,190
996 GT3 180,182,185,187

Richard started out strong and was consistent. I can't speak for the chasing cars but they were likely working hard to chase Richard, and almost getting there. Not sure how much Richard was holding back.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:14 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Matt. Thats interesting feedback. Ive not heard anyone say that yet but maybe as you say its the colour. Wait until you see it in the flesh in white with the dark grey (PDLS) headlights. You may change your mind. I think it looks better than red )f course LOL!).

Welcome to the drooping exhaust tip club. Im forever sorting mine out after they get real hot...they say its the bracket.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:16 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Matt. Thats interesting feedback. Ive not heard anyone say that yet but maybe as you say its the colour. Wait until you see it in the flesh in white with the dark grey (PDLS) headlights. You may change your mind. I think it looks better than red )f course LOL!).

Welcome to the drooping exhaust tip club. Im forever sorting mine out after they get real hot...they say its the bracket.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:23 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Short video of Chris and chasers

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?