Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 02:50 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by CS Mende
Heard a racket at the mailbox & went outside to find this. Again - open invite to anyone who wants to spectate from my place. Close enough (400m) that we could walk to the actual start on the Ramarama side. I'm going to be there with beer & BBQ all day in either case. Yet another pre-SITT meeting? If anyone running on the day has a need to stage anything at my place I do have spare garage & driveway space...
I'm keen.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:06 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah. Im guessing Dean is a bit pressured. I spoke with him this morning and he talked about getting your car and Dougs later in the week and hoping to get mine out of the way first. Ive just sent him an email to put the pressure on LOL. Id like it out of the shop by the end of the week...
Old 02-17-2014, 03:08 AM
shiraz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Macca, your bits are on th way. cheers
Old 02-17-2014, 03:15 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shiraz
Macca, your bits are on th way. cheers
Dude you are a lifesaver. Have let Dean know. Many thanks!
Old 02-17-2014, 03:49 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

This looks like fun.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:51 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Looks like I have a trailer for the SITT. Tow vehicle and RSG support wagon will be a Holden Rodeo double cab ute. Probably room for a couple of sets of rims in the ute so that will take care of the 2 sets needing to get to QT (Macca and Doug). If I can fit a third set then will take Rons.
Attached Images  
Old 02-17-2014, 04:02 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Sounds great carving up the field. Can't help feeling though that he needs a playmate. Like being the 20-year rugby player at High School, it's not much of a contest when you take the field with teenagers.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:06 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

^^^^ I have one somewhere with a guy in Europe that decided to go out with a bunch of 996 & 997 Cup cars. That ones very interesting. He cleans them all up. The rumour is the driver was no novice. Ill post it shortly...
Old 02-17-2014, 04:07 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Looks like I have a trailer for the SITT. Tow vehicle and RSG support wagon will be a Holden Rodeo double cab ute. Probably room for a couple of sets of rims in the ute so that will take care of the 2 sets needing to get to QT (Macca and Doug). If I can fit a third set then will take Rons.
Mate thats fantastic new. Let us know what to chip in...
Old 02-17-2014, 04:21 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Nice work Pete! So will you go to Queenstown direct from Chch then? Down past Tekapo through the McKenzie Country, Twizel, etc
Attached Images  
Old 02-17-2014, 05:08 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Nice work Pete! So will you go to Queenstown direct from Chch then? Down past Tekapo through the McKenzie Country, Twizel, etc
Well..... I'd quite like to see Franz Joseph. You reckon its too ambitious a trip for captain slow?
Old 02-17-2014, 05:19 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Well..... I'd quite like to see Franz Joseph. You reckon its too ambitious a trip for captain slow?
Mmmm mate. I think a Rodeo dual cab towing 1 tonne+ of trailer/car would be a slow journey. I've towed 2 tonne around the island with mine and it was not happy above 70kmph...
Old 02-17-2014, 06:03 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt38088 View Post
Good day at Taupo Saturday. Fine and hot. key things achieved. reset balance bar set up on F/R brake set up, pretty good now step up in grip on new tyres was pretty massive. gonna take 2 sets on SITT just n case - use old set maybe on first couple of sessions while learning track as there is plenty of tread - just that they have gone hard through age and heat cycles. Just got to change all fluids now Maybe could have tried a slightly softer set up but plenty of time to experiment once we get South

Sounds like you will be lapping most of us. Do we get to see the RS in Welly on the way through?
Nah John just making sure I can keep up with you boys involved wit the arms race. hehe. my little toy hasn't had any development on I for a long time now so just had to wheel it out for a go to make sure it goes alright before we head south

Sure will see the RS. We planning a dinner Monday night I think just waiting for Doug to confirm day and numbers and I will figure out a venue. So see you all soon
Old 02-17-2014, 01:38 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Graeme, it will definitely be the evening of Monday, 17 March. Likely two groups staying in different areas of Wellington. Our group in the Hutt and Ron's group in Town. Not sure how many at dinner. Somewhere car friendly would be good.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:40 PM
O2GO
Drifting

We'd love you to be in our convoy.... Albeit arriving at each destination a fair while after us. Here's what its like....

Ok, there is a lot of pretty flat terrain but also a couple of good climbs on our route.
Going through arthur's pass there are a couple of relatively short hard climbs, and a fair bit of almost flat slow climb terrain which would be a grind for you. One in a hundred like stuff I guess. But plenty to see and enjoyable all the same.

Running down the west coast is mostly flat.

Haast Pass (I've only been through from West to East once and that was at New Year as a passenger) is a solid climb for I guess 30 minutes in a ute... Trying hard to remember what it was like. Steep. But once over the pass (which I didnt feel was that high) its a long gradual decline run all the way to Wanaka.

You would have to take the longer route from Wanaka to Queenstown via Cromwell which I think adds 20 minutes or so but it is flat. We will go over the crown range which you'd want to avoid! Scarily steep in your rig. Caravans anid trailers I think are prohibited anyway, certainly warned against.

There's plenty of large camper vans that do the route we're planning. You'd just need to be patient. If the ute is a hi torque diesel then that's good.

If you were to take the direct route from Christchurch to Wanaka there are still some climbs but they are more gentle. It is also beautiful country if you haven't done that trip before.

If the trailer is one tonne with car, or 1.3 tonne or so I would come with us. We'll just have to have the beers chilled and ready for you when you arrive. Would Dan be with you or does he fly into Queenstown. It would be a bit more fun with company.

If it was me, I'd be happy to do our route. The alternative has some good climbs anyway so bugger it, take the long way patiently :-)

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?