Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 01:45 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Graeme, it will definitely be the evening of Monday, 17 March. Likely two groups staying in different areas of Wellington. Our group in the Hutt and Ron's group in Town. Not sure how many at dinner. Somewhere car friendly would be good.
Yeah sorry Graeme, I originally thought we'd catchup for a pub meal somewhere near our accommodation in the Hutt. Then it got complicated when Macca booked with Ron's group at the Bolton in Town and talked about eating somewhere in central Wellington.

If the consensus is to go into Wellington, we could put two in each car to save on parking. It would be nice for everyone to eat together.

Im in a rush right now but numbers are in the spreadsheet and i can give you an idea.

Macca.... Do you think Ron's group would like to join us? I think that would add 5-6. Can you check with them and then we can let Graeme know accurate numbers.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:43 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Well..... I'd quite like to see Franz Joseph. You reckon its too ambitious a trip for captain slow?
Take it from a "local". Towing that trailer loaded over Arthurs Pass, Haast Pass, and along parts of the West Coast would be a PIA for you and anyone behind you!

Take the east coast route, and turn right at Rakia for Thompsons Track and miss out Ashburton etc.

Just saying!
Old 02-17-2014, 03:57 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Doug, Graeme. Go ahead an organise a dinner. Dont worry about Pat & Rons group. They will have something already organised in town and Im pretty sure they'll just want a quiet night. Jo and I have no plans right now and will probably decide once we hit Wellington. Being anold resident there are a number of options but mostly Ill see how Jo is holding up.

Suggest you go ahead, plan your meal with Graeme. Graeme - Ill catch up with you further South my man!
Old 02-17-2014, 04:14 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Turbo 3.6 has packed a sad. The stress of the wheels hanging off the struts had highlighted one of the front ones is stuffed and currently seized. Into storage while Herman uses the Bilsteins and H&R springs on the SITT. I'm very keen to see whether PSS or KW become the coil over of choice so I can decide.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:32 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. So the RUF shocks went onto the 3.6 and failed?

You are way over-thinking the suspension stuff mate and are heading down the same path as I did even after my warning LOL! Just buy the coilovers already (PSS10 or KWv3 it neednt matter both are good choices according to the boys on Pistonheads and 964 board).
Old 02-17-2014, 04:34 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. So the RUF shocks went onto the 3.6 and failed?

You are way over-thinking the suspension stuff mate and are heading down the same path as I did even after my warning LOL! Just buy the coilovers already (PSS10 or KWv3 it neednt matter both are good choices according to the boys on Pistonheads and 964 board).
Old 02-17-2014, 04:42 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

No. SITT will be run on existing RUF bilsteins coupled with H&R reds (turbo spec). Before coilovers became more common this was the favoured sports driving set up for the 964.

At some stage after the SITT the C4 will get coilovers and the Turbo 3.6 will get the C4 suspension, which is Turbo spec and easily sufficient for a street driven Turbo.

All good and fit for purpose. The C4 with Steve Wong chip is making a great DD as is. I do worry about ruining the compliant ride but it really is for the SITT not for years to come.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:48 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Right. Now I understand. That sounds like a good staged plan as you previously mentioned. Make sure you get the Bilsteins serviced before putting on the turbo. Its a heavier car and make more heat.

I think you will find the coilovers a revelation, They handle rough city roads better than the bilsetins & springs from my experience. Firmer but way more controlled. I never thought the bilstein and springs were "crashy" and was very skeptical the PSS10 was the right choice for my 993 until I drove one with them on. As soon as I had mine fitted I realised the old system seemed "crashy" in comparison - less control over the strut on rebound and compression.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:53 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Right. Now I understand. That sounds like a good staged plan as you previously mentioned. Make sure you get the Bilsteins serviced before putting on the turbo. Its a heavier car and make more heat.

I think you will find the coilovers a revelation, They handle rough city roads better than the bilsetins & springs from my experience. Firmer but way more controlled. I never thought the bilstein and springs were "crashy" and was very skeptical the PSS10 was the right choice for my 993 until I drove one with them on. As soon as I had mine fitted I realised the old system seemed "crashy" in comparison - less control over the strut on rebound and compression.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:06 PM
mjg
Pro

Another (cheaper) option is to keep the 3.6T stock and get new springs in the rates and lengths that you want for the C4 and have the Bilsteins rebuilt and revalved to match the springs. The end result should be as good as the equivalent PSS10/KWv3 setup, minus the not-very-useful adjustability they'd give you.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:11 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
Another (cheaper) option is to keep the 3.6T stock and get new springs in the rates and lengths that you want for the C4 and have the Bilsteins rebuilt and revalved to match the springs. The end result should be as good as the equivalent PSS10/KWv3 setup, minus the not-very-useful adjustability they'd give you.
We can chew the fat over options while on the SITT.

I'll listen to all options and hopefully drive some sorted 964s. I am nervous that the H&R springs will be mismatched to the Bilsteins as is. We will see. Should be ready by this weekend so will know one way or another. Too late to do anything before the SITT now.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:02 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
I like that approach Matt. Nothing better than getting some custom valved shocks when the time comes for a rebuild. Unfortunately I suspect the 964T factory shocks are long past their use by date and John will likely need to look for an alternative for those fairly soon after the SITT. Im not sure Id play with the shock combinations on a 3.6T its such a classic - Id probably stick with the known recommendations but the Ruf shocks if rebuilt and the H&R springs sound like they are known so that may work a treat while you have the KVW3 fitted if thats the way you want to go. Its a shame you dont have alot of options to experiment with on the SITT. You are welcome to take a drive of the 993 but it will be set up for fast road so not as compliant as for DD. The red C2 is probably the best bet. I wouldnt brain it too hard - KWV3 is plenty enough to take you to club series where a dedicated race car will be the next stage...
Old 02-17-2014, 06:36 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spokes
Take it from a "local". Towing that trailer loaded over Arthurs Pass, Haast Pass, and along parts of the West Coast would be a PIA for you and anyone behind you!

Take the east coast route, and turn right at Rakia for Thompsons Track and miss out Ashburton etc.

Just saying!
Fair call - spent a bit of last night thinking about this and you're right of course. Would you do that drive Chch to QT in a single run or stop half way? There's no time pressure - we get into Chch early on the 19th and 1st track day is 21st in Invercargill
Old 02-17-2014, 07:22 PM
mjg
Pro

993 RS: http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-697917864.htm

Crazy money.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:52 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Fair call - spent a bit of last night thinking about this and you're right of course. Would you do that drive Chch to QT in a single run or stop half way? There's no time pressure - we get into Chch early on the 19th and 1st track day is 21st in Invercargill
I always do it in one run - 5 hours from Arrowtown to Hornby traffic lights. However, if you have time and not in a rush then Tekapo is the natural stop. Peppers is nice accommodation. Great Japanese restaurant in Tekapo: Kohan, highly recommended.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?