Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 11:40 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

That's a great article. Mario mentions his 911 hot rod in his EVO columns. Its really the "thinking mans" conversion on a 1970's chassis. The 3.6 is a perfect choice in stock form let alone with 3.8 upgrade and light breathing on. I hope my 993 will eventually end up as a more "modern" version of that hot rod with a lotto win seeing the engine going for a 3.9L 9MUK 370 bhp upgrade. Nice to dream...
Old 05-02-2013, 11:50 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
http://www.clintdavis.net/blog/2013/...e-911-hot-rod/
drool on this for 5 min then go for a drive
Or a cold shower..................(coz my cars in bits)
Old 05-02-2013, 11:52 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

So how does it go?

Hi folks,
Thought I might let you know how the first few days of 964 ownership has gone in return for a bit of advice.

My 993 was an exceptional NZ new 6 spd varioram coupe, with 25k's on the clock and finished in special order M Benz brilliant silver. Now on the surface that seems like nirvana but in fact I found myself unfit to own such a museum piece. It was a relief to sell it in good order.

I wanted to go back in time to a 3.2 and I was convinced that this was the path to 911 happiness. I can't quite believe the speed in which I did a 180 on my opinion of the 964, it was sudden and frightening, cumulating in securing Matt's red coupe.

So far so good. It rides like a hairy dog and makes a great noise but Haven't had a chance yet to fang it properly.

A few days to get on top of it and I'm quite liking it really.

So anyway, a plan is developing to personalise it. The platform is ready to go with the KW's installed and set up so some work on external appearance and interior is in order. Always like to go faster but strangely this isn't a priority and prefer the fast flowing momentum type of driving over brute force (I did quite a bit of club racing years ago in MX5's where momentum was all you had. I supercharged it and changed it's character - Lesson learned).

Cage? Macca, I see you have a Heigo on the way. Who did you source this through?

Wheels? I suspect cup 1 reps are not the go, but I love cup ones and want a set to paint a weird colour. Or 18's with shiny rims and black centers to at least look 3.2 ish.

Adornments? PORSCHE, or Carrera side scripts could be on, but subtly. Brake ducts and clear signals maybe too.

Interior? I'm never one for the obvious and have a fetish for bamboo, material and carbon fiber. Now an interior of such taste would look spiffing on a Sahara beige longhood, but I'm having trouble visualling this in a red 90's Carrera. See my previous garage sessions with bamboo, a pair of jeans and resin. This needs some careful thought. I have dreams of bamboo planking dash trim, beige floral resin impregnated RS style door cards with carbon fibre fittings, coconut fibre carpets, kevlar seat shells with minimal Hawiian shirt covering and a leather covered half cage. Island style. Might not work.

Anyway, a good wash and polish to see where its at and then some serious buying.

I'll keep you posted.

Dave
Attached Images  
Old 05-03-2013, 12:34 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

A bamboo 20" bmx frame??
Old 05-03-2013, 12:45 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Dave,

Firstly WOW! Some really creative ideas there.

Im a huge bamboo fan too. Its from the grass family not the wood family as you would know. The idea of using it as an interior fetish never occurred, but I get the vibe. I do think it would suit better a long hood "Singer" style car with perf leather beige RS door cars and custom woven seat cushions. I assume your interior is black. My thoughts would be to use bamboo (resin coated) for the RS door card handles. Maybe a laminated bamboo shift **** too (like the wooden round one used on teh 917 race car) .Ive attached a couple of pictures of RS door cards below so you can get what I mean regards the handles. Order them with black handles and laminate the resin coated bamboo on top maybe?

The 964 brake ducts are a great idea. For gods sake have them properly plumbed in to do their job of ventilating the front discs. Its a biggish job but can be done DIY. Otherwise they are just a cosmetic upgrade. If properly plumbed in they will guarantee fade free use on the road and track. Ive never had any fade on both and even during repeated hard use....

Heigo made the original bolt in half cage Tequipment option for the 993RS and 964RS. They are based in germany and everything is hand made so notoriously long wait. Ive had mine on order for 6 weeks now and still no sign of it being finished. I went for the standard bolt in cage for sunroof 993 with the additional cross support. It was $900 Euro which I thought good value. They are FIA certified and period correct. They also dont need any damage to interior and as long as you leave the center hoop in place you can revert back to rear seats in 20 mins. Im having the tube arts resprayed "steel Grey metallic" when they arrive to NZ ($300). Here is Heigos site http://www.heigo.de/ but I struggled to make any sense of it so went on what others suggested and contacted my old mate Gert at Carnewal in Belgium and he placed the order with Heigo and will ship to me when he gets it. Hes has good shipping rates too. gert@carnewal.com

Cups 1s are one of my all time favorite wheels on the 964. Finding the genuine article will not be easy - you'll have to shop ebay. They are lighter and stronger than the clones. Get them while they are reasonably priced as they will become very valuable in the future. I had a set off genuine RS Magnesium 964 Cup 1s which I sold to Peter Stephens (PS Motorsports) in the UK for almost $4000 NZD years ago so the RS version arent viable. Ive owned the clones on my 968 CS spec and they are heavy and soft (bend easy). They are also subtly different in terms of the spoke shape. I would shop for these in UK or US while their currency is weak. I think you could play with different colours using plastipaint. White RS Cup1s were used one some of the period 964 race cars and they look good IMHO especially on a red car...

Kevlar backed race seats arent easy to find but I have a source if you wish to email me separately. Likewise my guy in Germany that does all my CF does many parts for 964 if thats of interest - not cheap but way cheaper than factory stuff was/is. he made the factory Tequipemnt parts in the 90s...

For the red/black car Id keep things subtle inside. Lightweight seats, door cards, steering wheel, rear half cage, rear seat delete, some small subtle bamboo contrasts etc. Island Style would be way cool but maybe on an earlier car with lighter exterior paint...

Im not personally a huge fan of the "carrera" script as I think this has been well overdone. Maybe you should be a boot different and either try light blue/dark blue martini stripes running over the top of the car. I have a pictures of a red 993 somewhere with a thick ivory vinyle stripe planked by a gap then two thinner Ivory stripes either side which looks really good and I think looks excellent and could suit your car especially if you colour coded the Cup1s similar colour. I think its nice to try something original and unique....
Attached Images          
Old 05-03-2013, 12:59 AM
Maxem
Drifting

This one is a 29er mountain bike frame, rigid fork
Old 05-03-2013, 01:05 AM
Maxem
Drifting

And another weido garage monster, aluminium extrusion and laser cut sheet based. I forgot to mention that I love Aluminium too.
Attached Images  
Old 05-03-2013, 01:06 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Its not a 964 but check out the interior in this beautiful 356. This is my all time favourite 356. $200k usd invested but one of a kind...
Attached Images        
Old 05-03-2013, 01:11 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
A bamboo 20" bmx frame??
I'll get this reply thing right sooner or later, this one is a 29er rigid fork mountain bike frame, about 19" sized.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:34 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Dave, if you want to check out the Fuchs you are welcome to wander up the road to #93. I'll be home by 6:30.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:39 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
Its not a 964 but check out the interior in this beautiful 356. This is my all time favourite 356. $200k usd invested but one of a kind...
Love that, you see it has the beige, wood, leather and Aluminium thing going - something like that with a modern twist. That's kind of why I wanted a 3.2 because it could tolerate that sort of interior. A red 964 is a bit more challenging but I reckon it's doable somehow.
As long as it's reversible, there can be no fashion crime
Old 05-03-2013, 01:41 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
Dave, if you want to check out the Fuchs you are welcome to wander up the road to #93. I'll be home by 6:30.
Will do, 6.30 it is. You'll have to check my pockets when I leave though.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:48 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

See you then.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:15 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
(coz my cars in bits)
Give that man a beer for every time he mentions his car's in pieces...
Old 05-03-2013, 04:33 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
Will do, 6.30 it is. You'll have to check my pockets when I leave though.
Good to meet you Dave and even better to hear you will be at HD on 9 June. Hope you can resurrect the Techart brake/fog units without too much effort.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?