Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 12:55 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 626 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
My C2 ride height: Centre hub to inside lip of guard Pic 1 Front: 335 Pic 2 Rear: 325
Mine are

Front 337

Rear 345

How come your rear is less? Are you slanted up?
Old 02-16-2014, 12:57 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

My C2 ride height: Centre hub to inside lip of guard Pic 1 Front: 335 Pic 2 Rear: 325
Quite a gap there between tyre and guard considering you have KW already.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:14 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

2k Cup at HD featuring on tv3 news soon.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:31 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Mine are Front 337 Rear 345 How come your rear is less? Are you slanted up?
No, taken while parked in the garage which is level. Does the C4 have exactly the same guard profile?
Old 02-16-2014, 01:35 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

No, taken while parked in the garage which is level. Does the C4 have exactly the same guard profile?
Yes.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:43 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CS Mende
Beautiful drive & car! Cup2's look great - not that D90's don't! If you're doing any work on the rear spoiler mechanism, check out the gear/cog bearing replacement DIY. Under $10 in parts and fixes loudness issues if it's a bit noisy. I'm reminded yet again of a small job I did on my car which seems so minuscule now. Should be able to reuse it, though.
Thanks Chris, it's silent as far as I can tell. Thanks for the tip though.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:53 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Correct. That's why they are spares. Rob looped my wear sensors. According to him tracked cars don't need them as drivers should be checking pads and they can give false readings.

19 days to pre SITT. While the offshore suppliers can be quick we're entering the danger zone for ordering and fitting items. My springs ex UK are taking a long time to arrive. Still have to fit them on time for the 26th.
Yes. Dean said similar about the sensors if I tale the old pads as short distance back ups. I have asked him to put the new sensors I bought for the Big Red upgrade on with the new pads in any case as it will give me a heads up if the pads do get that low on the SITT. I should hope not however as the old pads did 25000 km touring + Targa (1000km closed stages) + 3 track days and still have almost 40% left on them so I should hope they will still have 50-60% on them when I return home. They can get sold with the calipers. From others that have experience the new set up should give over 2 x the pad and disc life of the standard set up due to 50% greater material in disc and 60%+ larger swept area of pad.

My brake story was to remind folk as you say that things are getting closer now and as I found when all of a sudden needing to order rear pads, not always are they locally available - but the good news there is still enough time to get everything you need in form the USA (FDM latest parcels are all typically 7 days).

Apart from the obvious replacement of fluids, checking things like the lower nylon ball cup in the bottom shifter linkage, play in the rear toe arms and front tie rods, front and rear wheel bearings, condition of spark plugs, HVAC/air con operation, sunroof motor, general fasteners and fittings etc
Old 02-16-2014, 03:04 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
checking things like the lower nylon ball cup in the bottom shifter linkage,
Oh that's an _annoying_ little sucker to have go out. Anyone done the goldenrod? Also curious about 964/993 short shift conversion experience.

I wasn't able to look at SS with the C4, but now have the chance.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:10 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Doug. The good news is around 10 years ago I took the DIY for rear spoiler bearing replacement to Deans guys and now they can do this (if it needs doing) while they are sorting out your bolt. Im pretty sure they carry the bearing and its a low cost job.

Im pretty sure looking at the photos Dougs car is still nose now which would indicate the rear wheel in the 964 sits much close to the guard from centre axles then the fronts - which is the case for all 911 including the 993 at least that Im aware of. The stance on David/Dougs/Matts car always appeared a good balance between aggressive road/track and practical everyday Auckland use IMO...
Old 02-16-2014, 03:10 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I have the luxury of going through every friggin system in the C4 over the last 11 months. The alternator was the last piece in the puzzle.

I've checked for fluid leaks. Nothing bad but some seepage from the oil tank. Those of you that haven't done any oil lines should check their condition. Also need to decide if I'll stump up for a litre of SRF before I go. It's not the type of thing you'll find in Invercargill, but at $150 per litre is not something you necessarily keep as a standby. Doug and I ran through a list of things to cover most road side eventualities. Quite a list.
Attached Images  
Old 02-16-2014, 03:13 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
No worries - just let me know. If you want both sets I can get them one day and Paul's the next. If not I'll pick up yours and Paul's on the same trip. No hassle either way as I'll be driving right past Mega a couple of times this week.
Yes please - thanks Pete
Old 02-16-2014, 03:15 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Oh that's an _annoying_ little sucker to have go out. Anyone done the goldenrod? Also curious about 964/993 short shift conversion experience. I wasn't able to look at SS with the C4, but now have the chance.
I replaced both bushes and motor mounts. The shift is fine. Given the need to shift carefully from 2nd to 3rd on the track I don't think it would be much of an improvement to do a short shift conversion.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:26 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Im happy to chip in on a 1 litre bottle of SFR. Havent used a drop since it went in before teh NITT and will get flushed and changed out after the SITT, but in the meantime cheap insurance at $50 each for three of us or less if Paul/Matt or others are also using it.

Its systems like these (oil lines) in 20 year old cars that give me the sh8ts and why if I was doing these events regularly and with an annual 5 day Targa tour with my lifestyle Id use the new GT3. Ive never done my oil lines, sure theyve been checked when works been done on the car and pits have been stripped off and as far as I know they are dry but honestly some of that work was done 3-4 years ago and this stuff isnt mileage related its age related now! Then theres things like the wheel bearings. How many have had these checked? Basically you cant untiul they fail and the chance of teh grease crystallising in them gets much higher with track work (especially as those pads wear down). We pull my front ones off and replaced them when I did the RS uprights and tie rods mid 2013. The old bearings were impossible to remove and the wheels carrier was welded onto the upg=right from the heat. Basically there was no real way of telling the bearings health (unless obvious play which indicated the bearing has already failed!) until we ripped it all down. In the end the bearing looked like it would have lasted a bit longer but how much longer we dont know. IM really wishing now I had have replaced the rear bearings too at the same time as Im pretty sure those are now a weak spot!
Old 02-16-2014, 03:27 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Beautiful drive & car! Cup2's look great - not that D90's don't!

If you're doing any work on the rear spoiler mechanism, check out the gear/cog bearing replacement DIY. Under $10 in parts and fixes loudness issues if it's a bit noisy.

I'm reminded yet again of a small job I did on my car which seems so minuscule now. Should be able to reuse it, though.
I personally think Cup 2's are really under rated. I really like them.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:30 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Macca - I'm gonna take your advise on the pads.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?