Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Extra weight, what's not to like!
Old 02-16-2014, 01:34 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
I'll ask the boys at Contis. I think they commented that most leave it of when i had the PPI.

Dave, Matt... What do you know?

Feels like I should have it on. Probably less drag too.
I took it off to do the cup bypass and left it off. Distant memory but remember reading a forum thread on it and that seemed to be the go. Buggered if I know really
Old 02-16-2014, 01:39 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Extra weight, what's not to like!
Ha, ok, it stays in the garage attic :-P
Old 02-16-2014, 01:55 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Next weekend we should drive to waitakere transfer station and weigh the cars. Interested to see how much difference there really is.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:26 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Good day at Taupo Saturday. Fine and hot.
key things achieved.
reset balance bar set up on F/R brake set up, pretty good now
step up in grip on new tyres was pretty massive. gonna take 2 sets on SITT just n case - use old set maybe on first couple of sessions while learning track as there is plenty of tread - just that they have gone hard through age and heat cycles.
Just got to change all fluids now
Maybe could have tried a slightly softer set up but plenty of time to experiment once we get South
Old 02-16-2014, 03:36 PM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mines gone too. must be lots of engine trays in attics around the world. Macca thanks for the heads up re: bump steer I'll have to check this out, I wondered if there a good way to test this rather than on the track but it may just be worth adjusting now. Now heading sideways over driveways like all fast low cars, the short(er) wheel base makes it easier than some others I've owned.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:39 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088
Good day at Taupo Saturday. Fine and hot. key things achieved. reset balance bar set up on F/R brake set up, pretty good now step up in grip on new tyres was pretty massive. gonna take 2 sets on SITT just n case - use old set maybe on first couple of sessions while learning track as there is plenty of tread - just that they have gone hard through age and heat cycles. Just got to change all fluids now Maybe could have tried a slightly softer set up but plenty of time to experiment once we get South
Sounds like you will be lapping most of us. Do we get to see the RS in Welly on the way through?
Old 02-16-2014, 03:42 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Just been into CCS. Usual suspects. 959, Macca's car, Frank Dentons RS.

Confirmed WOT should work on my car. Impact unknown. Will get that sorted this week when they do the suspension and my pre SITT checks.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:01 PM
356Downunder
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Doug. Do a rennlist global search on "engine tray"......then spend the next 3 weeks reading the threads. You think our thread is a long one! Its the most debated 964/993 part in history. You decide LOL!
If you speak to Rob at Contis I think he'll tell you that the engine tray was a requirement from one of the EEC countries.....not sure which one.....maybe Denmark or Sweden...and for whatever reason it was rolled out for the ROW
Old 02-16-2014, 08:05 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 356Downunder
If you speak to Rob at Contis I think he'll tell you that the engine tray was a requirement from one of the EEC countries.....not sure which one.....maybe Denmark or Sweden...and for whatever reason it was rolled out for the ROW
I read it was Switzerland to allow noise levels to pass regulation levels
Old 02-16-2014, 10:15 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

^^^ Yip. It was a 1990s Swiss drive by reg. Later that reg meant all 993 had the more widely spaced gears the USA market had, So from 1996 all ROW have the USA gear box which is not a tight or punchy as the earlier ROW gear box....for noise reasons again
Old 02-16-2014, 10:34 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
^^^ Yip. It was a 1990s Swiss drive by reg. Later that reg meant all 993 had the more widely spaced gears the USA market had, So from 1996 all ROW have the USA gear box which is not a tight or punchy as the earlier ROW gear box....for noise reasons again
Hearing your car this morning, I don't think you would get within a couple of km of the Swiss border.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:57 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

LOL! Interestingly the GT3 isnt much quieter with the exhaust button bypass once you get to around 4000 rpm (infact its pretty much identical at 96db). But the Swiss authorities had no issue complying my car. It was the funniest experience. We rocked up with a new GT3. My broker knows all the folk there and he said "this guy is a nice fellow, used to be a rally driver, well let him have a drive and it will be all good". So we sit there while he completes the paperwork without going within 5m of the car (this is the process that even with a new car as Chris will tell you they want to strip internal panels etc out of cars during the NZ compliance process!!). My guy asks him about his Xmas plans and his kids then hands him the keys and tell him to tale it for a drive. The compliance guy tell me to hop in. Next thing we are literally going sideways around the proving grounds at 100kmph with old snow piled up on the curb from a dump a few days before. I havent even driven it yet! Gotta love the Swiss. What I learned about Switzerland is they make lots of rules (to look like they are complying to the PC gods) but police virtually none of them....I enjoyed that country has access to four countries bordering it with some of the worlds greatest drives (Stellio pass etc). If we ever order another car new we will keep it there on the plates/rego we paid for for 12 months and visit for 6 months an use it for our base. I was very seriously contemplating it with the GT3 as was offered cheap storage but decided I wanted it in NZ. Not next time (the speed limit in NZ will be 101 kmph by then!)...

Last edited by Macca; 02-16-2014 at 11:55 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:59 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I sense NZ is changing its driving attitude. Not only is speed becoming an enforcement focus (witness the 104/hr effort), but the general public are less accepting of speedsters and will likely dob you in with *555 calls.

The GT3 and and other fast cars are increasingly an anacronism compared to our youthful runs from Auckland to Wellington at warp speed. It's the track, back roads or pootling around tamaki drive on the weekend.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:55 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. I agree with you. Europe was far more forgiving especially Italy, France & Germany. A I say next time around Ill leave it there a year or two. The roads were far more interesting, and the cost of living not so much more than before.

In the meantime Ron's style Sunday drives and the track work is the only way to have fun without the politics. It does make you wonder however if organisations like Playdays struggle and they continue to become more archaic on the speed law in NZ I dont think we will be left with anything in 10-15 years time. Even gasoline will be out of fashion. Ill need a license just to start the 993 on the weekend! We are living at the tail end of teh golden age. Cars like the latest GT3 are the last vestige of naturally aspirated petrol engine that make loud screams as they reach their high rev lines. Within two model generations they will be electric/hybrid & turbo and that is a read shame...

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?