Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 03:05 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
Yes, more HP and Pukekohe is a very different track as you know. Your wife is good to you, I can't imagine Jacinda getting tyres fitted for me! All good on the video, I used GoPro studio yesterday and am getting a feel for the end to end process of getting footage off the camera, imported, edited and converted and it definitely takes time.
I'm very lucky. Paul and Dave didn't tow the party line at the cafe on Sunday. I had her half believing my car situation was 'normal' until they opened their mouths. Right now I'm taking the overt signs off the Turbo (plate and banner) so she can drive it around anonymously. She's happy.

Re GoPro, I import in sequence and use the split function to cut where I want to. That way it's easy to isolate the bits you don't want, then delete them. Still working on telling a story. While I do my alternator rebuild I'm going to hard wire power and a mic.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:01 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
I'm very lucky. Paul and Dave didn't tow the party line at the cafe on Sunday. I had her half believing my car situation was 'normal' until they opened their mouths. .
We're just jealous our wife's are not as understanding..........

Old 01-20-2014, 04:34 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Its now official. The 993 looks like the car for the SITT. GT3 isnt due to arrive now in Auckland Port until 13 March so no way to turn it around in 24 hrs to make the trip down on the Sunday. Infact I suspect we will have to meet you guys in Queenstown on the Thursday as I will need to attend to the GT3 on Monday and Tuesday in person to do the paperwork side of things and then make a 48 hrs ,mercy dash to Queenstown (if that's possible). The other option is to miss Teterongia, bring the GT3 and just travel at a more leisurely pace...damn annoyed about it but the car was scheduled to leave tomorrow and it looks like the schedules have all moved out by 3-4 days both ends....
Old 01-20-2014, 04:56 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Its now official. The 993 looks like the car for the SITT. GT3 isnt due to arrive now in Auckland Port until 13 March so no way to turn it around in 24 hrs to make the trip down on the Sunday. Infact I suspect we will have to meet you guys in Queenstown on the Thursday as I will need to attend to the GT3 on Monday and Tuesday in person to do the paperwork side of things and then make a 48 hrs ,mercy dash to Queenstown (if that's possible). The other option is to miss Teterongia, bring the GT3 and just travel at a more leisurely pace...damn annoyed about it but the car was scheduled to leave tomorrow and it looks like the schedules have all moved out by 3-4 days both ends....
Bu$&er. It never pays to be time bound when relying on other people. Last night I realised the C4 was running on battery only and I could swear that every light and slowpoke driver was conspiring to have it run out before I got home. Only just made it. I'm sure you'll work something out.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:58 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Macca - I know how you feel. Mine was supposed to leave Southampton on 11 Jan. It actually left on the 18th... I am now fixated on the marine traffic website, watching the vessel steaming (!) towards the Suez at 15 knots. There's a change of ships at Singapore so I'm yet to work out the revised Akl berthing date. Have a feeling that the anxiety levels will increase towards the end of Feb.

Unlike you I don't have a plan B!
Old 01-20-2014, 05:00 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Last night I realised the C4 was running on battery only
A C4 EV - cool!
Old 01-20-2014, 05:04 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
A C4 EV - cool!
Interesting experience, it's like the car has protocols to shut down various functions as it gets lower on power. Radio shut down. ABS and 4wd alarmed, windscreen wipers crawled across the screen. It was about to give up completely when it got up my drive.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:27 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Macca - I know how you feel. Mine was supposed to leave Southampton on 11 Jan. It actually left on the 18th... I am now fixated on the marine traffic website, watching the vessel steaming (!) towards the Suez at 15 knots. There's a change of ships at Singapore so I'm yet to work out the revised Akl berthing date. Have a feeling that the anxiety levels will increase towards the end of Feb.

Unlike you I don't have a plan B!
Thanks Pete. Its at least a little comforting to know that Im not alone. It seems parr for the course with shipping unfortunately and there may yet still be more delays!

I hope your gets in by end of Feb. I have imported before and never had an issue with MAF in a container and looking at how they prepared your car and the fact its container I doubt you will do either. 5 working days should have you cleared, complied, plated insured and on the road. You should make it ok and still have a little wiggle room.

Ive been thinking through various scenarios but cannot really know until the day it arrives. If it arrived morning of 13th and cleared MAF same day there is a chance I could have it on the road by Monday evening and do an all night to catch the ferry. If a day out from there could shift the Ferry a day and still may Queenstown comfortably by Thursday afternoon in time for Friday track day. Unfortunately both options mean missing the tour down but like yourself & Paul sometimes needs must. Big issue will be tyres as wont have a chance to change them before we leave so will have to courier down and hope to find a garage that can balance up a centre lock wheel/tyre (probably CHCH if I can even make it that far)....

Many unknowns which is a travellers worse nightmare - especially when I already booked to fly in a few days early on the 8th! I guess time to get GST paid and prepare the 993 which is still without its new brake kit front calipers not due till March/April.

Best laid plans. As John says it will sort itself out.

John. Your a lucky man making it up the driveway. the C4 looked after you again! Good to get all these remedial things out of the way though before the next big NITT and run North....
Old 01-20-2014, 05:37 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Yes, my first thought was thank goodness this happened now. I can't drive it now so it's beached in the garage. I will pull the alternator myself on Saturday and then work out step 2. Research shows that it's not difficult to rebuild yourself (I fixed avionics in skyhawks and this looks a lot easier) and you get to control the quality of the parts used. If I get stuck I'll just take the Turbo 3.6 unit out. Not doing that soon though as I have the 996tt to cover in the meantime. SRF, new OEM pads and Z221s mean I'm as sorted with that as I am with the C4, for close track days.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:45 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

btw - called in at Contis last night to see Tony's Cayman S & check on PPI. Flew through other than a couple of front tyres. It really is stunning in the flesh - paint is immaculate (same as Doug's). iphone workshop photo with all the reflections doesn't do it justice. So the deal is done.

I may just have to steal her for the SITT as Plan B!! (Don't anybody tell him )
Attached Images  
Old 01-20-2014, 06:28 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Feeling for you guys importing cars, a very hard/almost impossible process to influence the outcome and make it go faster.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:32 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Yes, my first thought was thank goodness this happened now. I can't drive it now so it's beached in the garage. I will pull the alternator myself on Saturday and then work out step 2. Research shows that it's not difficult to rebuild yourself (I fixed avionics in skyhawks and this looks a lot easier) and you get to control the quality of the parts used. If I get stuck I'll just take the Turbo 3.6 unit out. Not doing that soon though as I have the 996tt to cover in the meantime. SRF, new OEM pads and Z221s mean I'm as sorted with that as I am with the C4, for close track days.
I would key an eye on the brake pads. I have tried my 996tt twice on the track with OEM pads and both times the brake warning light came on in less than 6 laps. The first time I melted a sensor. The second time out I had SRF and GT3 brake ducting and it still happened, although I was on street tyres which wouldn't have helped stopping.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:40 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I would key an eye on the brake pads. I have tried my 996tt twice on the track with OEM pads and both times the brake warning light came on in less than 6 laps. The first time I melted a sensor. The second time out I had SRF and GT3 brake ducting and it still happened, although I was on street tyres which wouldn't have helped stopping.
I will enjoy the hp but I won't be driving at a pace you're capable of so hopefully will come out incident free.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:41 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The other option is to miss Teterongia, bring the GT3 and just travel at a more leisurely pace...damn annoyed about it but the car was scheduled to leave tomorrow and it looks like the schedules have all moved out by 3-4 days both ends....
Sounds like a good option to me. No point in racing and being stressed.

The other option is to cert the GT3 after the SITT??
Old 01-20-2014, 07:43 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Feeling for you guys importing cars, a very hard/almost impossible process to influence the outcome and make it go faster.
Thanks Chris. Ive been working on logistics side of things this morning for the SITT. The event is a really difficult one to anticipate. Ive worked through Dougs Itinerary and can see a window to catch up with everyone in Queenstown. Will miss the NI tour roads but will follow same route in SI so at least get to enjoy that bit. Requires a mercy dash or overnighter to Wellington (not looking forward to that part at 104kmph!). The new tyres can be 2 days couriered to Autothority for fitment to the car on in CHCH on our day off in Queenstown (special equipment needed). Of course there is also the 993 but the thing looking like an insurmountable roadblock for me is I physically have to be present to complete the GT3 compliance and first time registration (ID, signatures, money and moving the car somewhere safe afterwards). Sure I could then jump into the 993 but will still be late and the GT3 can cover ground far quicker, more easily with more space, safety and comfort than the 993 if I really have to go the full Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas thing!

One thing looks pretty certain if the GT3 goes will be ZERO preparation on that car (unless you count taping some license plates to the car). Its done its shakedown 3500km, but kinda wishing I had known this all a week or two back as I could have had the car prepared and checked in Switzerland when the 6 point harness was fitted and it was given a big wipe down...

The more I study the intensity of the trip and the unknown factors at track and on road (punctures, cracked screens etc) the more inclined I am to treat this whole event like the Targa Tour NZ. You plan one day at a time and if you make it back home without event you buy a lotto ticket.

It looks like Pete should be ready just in time. Everyone is changing from old metal to new metal. Me included. No guarantee of success though.

Its going to be a fun trip al-right. I think we will be forced to plan like we did for Europe, one day ahead and forget everything else in the meantime!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?