Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 01:41 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
This was my trip: https://goo.gl/maps/1rm2p We arrived in Russell quite late last night, from what I could see on here you guys were well asleep at that point. Drove out to Elliot Bay for a swim this morning, got distracted by the warm water and surf and didn't leave until 12pm. Had lunch in Waipu at around 2pm and would have been on SH16 around 3pm. Saw this on the way through. Does it belong to one of you? It's on the wrong car if it does... Both semi 'oh sh*t' moments for me this trip were brought on by absolutely retarded driving by others. Once when a driver of what was either a horse float or house truck (or both) decided that the best approach to the pile of cars behind him would be to drive erratically on SH16 for as long as possible, and another by a lone wolf in a nondescript low power piece of junk who thought he could overtake the 7 cars in front of him, regardless of the fact his car was probably redlining in top gear already. The more I drive the 911 the more I realize that most people have no understanding of their car's abilities, and have a perception that their car is much more powerful than it is but lack the commitment to actually find out if there's truth to this belief. The number of times I saw people overtaking queues in spongy SUVs on blind corners and trying to push juice boxes up hill in passing lanes only to find themselves running alongside the car next to them right up until one or the other gives in to the impromptu game of parallel chicken. I'm surprised the road toll isn't higher.
Love the plate. I've saved the image.

I didn't realise you were actually in Russell.

Other drivers were pretty random at times during our trip. All types of reactions, some pulled over, some sped up, one did a moving blockade on the road and threw a sandwich at us. I'm hoping the trip South will be less trafficked.

We all have different goals and temperaments. For example I'm about to go postal on my home street with 'tools' who do warp speed in their Audi V8s. The local cops will get a bucket load of video and radar gun speed images. I'll put a complaint in for each one until they do something to bring the speeds down. A mother in her 40s was indignant she was caught speeding outside my house in a normal patrol. All kinds of self justification from her. Don't care do the crime take the time.

Many of the cars we passed down from Russell were in a relaxed mode or locals. Heck, at times we played tourist as well. I'd be surprised if some of us don't get a visit from the fuzz after a *555 complaint.

Ultimately, that's why I prefer the track. However I'm still out to enjoy the upcoming drive as much as possible.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:09 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

John. GoPro is an imperfect solution. The thing that bugs me most about it is all the cables, batteries and paraphernalia you have to lug around. That and the fidley set up and start procedure.

I changed the metering type to spot centre if I recall and this may help balance the light when filming from a dark cabin to a bright outside. The footage I took in the GT3 in Europe was really great but the little footage I remembered to take yesterday is crap as the camera was mounted too low (in my rush to prepare I didnt realise the mount had been moved by Deans boys when they were doing something in there.

Jake, too true on the NZ driving antics. Generally I support the smallest TED (time exposed to danger) for any overtaking manoeuvre generally ensuring I have the gear and velocity to be on the wrong side for as little time as possible even if it means breaking the speed limit. I also never speed up when being overtaken (infact I let off the throttle often altogether as a lack of success in their manoeuvre will generally become a risk to myself and my occupants too). I really wished other drivers tried to maintain the same etiquette. Speeding up when being overtaken is just plain stupid.

I think we may know a guy who owns that plate. If not he should bloody well try and buy it LOL. He also has an L plate form NITT which he is hoping to offload on SITT :-)
Attached Images  
Old 03-09-2014, 05:11 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Love the plate. I've saved the image.

I didn't realise you were actually in Russell.

Other drivers were pretty random at times during our trip. All types of reactions, some pulled over, some sped up, one did a moving blockade on the road and threw a sandwich at us. I'm hoping the trip South will be less trafficked.

We all have different goals and temperaments. For example I'm about to go postal on my home street with 'tools' who do warp speed in their Audi V8s. The local cops will get a bucket load of video and radar gun speed images. I'll put a complaint in for each one until they do something to bring the speeds down. A mother in her 40s was indignant she was caught speeding outside my house in a normal patrol. All kinds of self justification from her. Don't care do the crime take the time.

Many of the cars we passed down from Russell were in a relaxed mode or locals. Heck, at times we played tourist as well. I'd be surprised if some of us don't get a visit from the fuzz after a *555 complaint.

Ultimately, that's why I prefer the track. However I'm still out to enjoy the upcoming drive as much as possible.
Sounds like you need to lobby the council to put speed bumps down your street John. 3-4 of them should do it. No other way to control that behaviour, police don't have the resource. PITA if you have a low car tho.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:14 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
John. GoPro is an imperfect solution. The thing that bugs me most about it is all the cables, batteries and paraphernalia you have to lug around. That and the fidley set up and start procedure.

I changed the metering type to spot centre if I recall and this may help balance the light when filming from a dark cabin to a bright outside. The footage I took in the GT3 in Europe was really great but the little footage I remembered to take yesterday is crap as the camera was mounted too low (in my rush to prepare I didnt realise the mount had been moved by Deans boys when they were doing something in there.

Jake, too true on the NZ driving antics. Generally I support the smallest TED (time exposed to danger) for any overtaking manoeuvre generally ensuring I have the gear and velocity to be on the wrong side for as little time as possible even if it means breaking the speed limit. I also never speed up when being overtaken (infact I let off the throttle often altogether as a lack of success in their manoeuvre will generally become a risk to myself and my occupants too). I really wished other drivers tried to maintain the same etiquette. Speeding up when being overtaken is just plain stupid.

I think we may know a guy who owns that plate. If not he should bloody well try and buy it LOL. He also has an L plate form NITT which he is hoping to offload on SITT :-)
How did you photoshop the 7tenth plate??
Old 03-09-2014, 05:19 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
How did you photoshop the 7tenth plate??
Checked Carjam, it's a real plate.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:26 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The local cops will get a bucket load of video and radar gun speed images. I'll put a complaint in for each one until they do something to bring the speeds down. Ultimately, that's why I prefer the track. However I'm still out to enjoy the upcoming drive as much as possible.
Imagine the look on their face if one of them were to stop you for a chat on the side of the road after that! Won't find me kicking that bees' nest...
Old 03-09-2014, 05:30 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Sounds like you need to lobby the council to put speed bumps down your street John. 3-4 of them should do it. No other way to control that behaviour, police don't have the resource. PITA if you have a low car tho.
The street has been trying the nice way for 5 years. Basically someone needs to die on the street first. They won't put in bumps on a bus route as it upsets the passengers. First thing I'm going to target is the buses as they are my easiest target. Speed and I'll provide evidence to their employers.

Thereafter I'll see where I need to go on this. Feel like a fight on this one and I have a creative bent.

One thought is to copy what they do by villages in Jakarta: they put a piece of marine anchor rope across the road. Drives you nuts going over it, as it's a sudden jolt.

Cops as much as told us that they wouldn't be surprised if someone decided to do something unilaterally. The speeding is at epidemic levels. The cop was turning over tickets every 8 minutes one day.

BTW These aren't young hoons, they're people from neighbouring streets. The types who would be horrified to be be 'outed'. That's why I bought the radar gun a year ago.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:32 PM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Name:  avatar114404_8.gif
Views: 190
Size:  32.5 KB
Old 03-09-2014, 05:35 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Imagine the look on their face if one of them were to stop you for a chat on the side of the road after that! Won't find me kicking that bees' nest...
These are born to be mild types. The ones who would be very embarrassed to have a cop turn up at their house after a complaint. Thing in life is you either accept it or you do something about it. I wouldn't bother if they were young kids, but they're not, they're moneyed professionals, a fact that the cop relayed to is with some glee.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:36 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Love it, Matts photoshop.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:36 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Might pay to poll the neighbours first though - nothing short of a track is as good at generating the repeated screech of brakes and roar of engines at all hours.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:43 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Might pay to poll the neighbours first though - nothing short of a track is as good at generating the repeated screech of brakes and roar of engines at all hours.
Speed humps aren't going to happen. There are other ways to control speed. Basically fear. Fear of crashing or being caught. They can limit the visual width of the street to do that. Being caught is about cops, who don't have the resources or they citizens providing proof. Video recording is now very reasonable. A street funded hi res camera is about to go in.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:47 PM
PHG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These are born to be mild types. The ones who would be very embarrassed to have a cop turn up at their house after a complaint. Thing in life is you either accept it or you do something about it. I wouldn't bother if they were young kids, but they're not, they're moneyed professionals, a fact that the cop relayed to is with some glee.
I used to live on top of a good hill in Orewa..One day a lady knocked on my door wanting me to sign a petition to ACC complaining about the speedsters and to put in speed bumps . I said I couldn't sign that..she says 'why not' and I says 'because I am probably the worst offender'..
You are a brave man, John!.. You may be right but .....!!
Old 03-09-2014, 06:17 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PHG
...One day a lady knocked on my door wanting me to sign a petition to ACC complaining about the speedsters and to put in speed bumps...
I suspect the added driver distraction, seesawing speed variances, and swerving involved with speed bumps would only raise the ACC's medical bills so the local panel beater might be a more likely sponsor. Speed is easily measured but is of less predictive value for accidents than driver factors. Ideally there would be an attentiveness and skill monitor in cars, indexed to speed and conditions. That would pick up those doing 45-50 kph in a narrow suburban street who had only got one and a half hours sleep or who keep twisting around in the driver's seat to put the dummy back in.

I would rather have the rennlist crowd running through my street than a procession of MPVs on under-inflated tyres driven by people for whom driving is just a chore and a chance to catch up with their mates on the hands-free.

Of course the best is to have no-one driving through your street but yourself...
Old 03-09-2014, 06:30 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mjg
Love it - thanks Matt.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?