Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 05:34 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Matt, I owe you Five for the HD sticker. Don't let me forget. Do you have a source for the new Pukekohe layout? Now I'm not a virgin I might add it to the window.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:41 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Got ya. Learn something new everyday.

No big mods today, just little steps. Replaced the door seal rubbers and fitted the RSG decal. Looking good Sam.
Nice, who did your name sticker? I need to get some done.

Cheers,

Sean.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:48 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by KiwiSean
Nice, who did your name sticker? I need to get some done. Cheers, Sean.
http://www.trackdecals.com
Old 01-29-2014, 05:57 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mjg
Troy does a lot of instruction with Playday, he has been there more often than not recently. I haven't been with him, but Rob Ho has had a lot of sessions with him and found him really good (quite a different style from Ray, though, from what I understand).
I had one session with Troy at Taupo during the NITT and he's definitely quite different to Ray (including lines). He's ex-army (if I recall correctly) and has quite a strong personality, shall we say. He's not afraid to tell you what you're doing wrong, but I've no doubt he knows his stuff and you'll learn quickly. I think it's just a question of whether his teaching style suits your learning style. Personally I prefer Ray telling me I'm doing great, even if I've just completely c*cked up the corner
Old 01-29-2014, 07:01 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Highlands in reverse direction on targa!!

Shall we ask to have a go at this on SITT? could be fun
Old 01-29-2014, 08:11 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Graeme. I thought Id learn it the correct direction on SITT and flip the reverse direction day onto Jamie my co driver for the Targa (hope he's not reading LOL!). He wont have driven it before so will seem no different to him!

Troy sounds an interesting tutor. Truth be told the ground wasn't littered with options. I don't mind being sworn at as long as he doesnt mind ****ting himself, cause thats what will happen when I make a mistake under duress LOL!
Old 01-29-2014, 01:20 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Final Pukekohe video. The Air cooled bunch.
Disclaimer. This is just cobbled together with basic cuts, no fades. Yes, the radio is on - I like it that way. No, I didn't warn you guys I would be out in your session so I realise some of you slowed down to let me pass (not my intention to confuse). No, those are not my normal lines, I used them to get better views of your cars.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:26 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Final Pukekohe video. The Air cooled bunch. Video Link: http://youtu.be/dPkHGYtyTUk Disclaimer. This is just cobbled together with basic cuts, no fades. Yes, the radio is on - I like it that way. No, I didn't warn you guys I would be out in your session so I realise some of you slowed down to let me pass (not my intention to confuse). No, those are not my normal lines, I used them to get better views of your cars.
Paul, you and Ron were akin to Tom and Jerry during the day.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:39 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Warning to those thinking of mods pre SITT. Some of my orders have delays due to parts unavailabiilty. The worst is 2 weeks away. Only 5 weeks to go so not nervous but a little surprised as previously my orders arrive within days.

Update on 996TT. All fixed. Basically just a pipe join that let go. You won't see it at the track again. I'll put the rims on Trademe.

Turbo 3.6 goes in for control arm bushes and a changeout of 11 year old tyres (it pains me to take the existing tyres off as they have good tread) so I can go to the Track. I may run the car in the Regularity trials. I will put the old set on Trademe. Don't bid unless it's for a garage queen
Old 01-29-2014, 06:59 PM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Warning to those thinking of mods pre SITT. Some of my orders have delays due to parts unavailabiilty. The worst is 2 weeks away. Only 5 weeks to go so not nervous but a little surprised as previously my orders arrive within days.
This sounds ominously like KWs based on my recent order....or something hefty enough to be low volume,,

Thanks for the vid John, great to see the air cooled crew and study the lines a bit further, The only thing online I found re the Puke lines is from the NZ racetrack manual, detailing the hairpin, not sure if anyone has this, or if its worth getting... http://www.tracktime.co.nz/racetrack-manual/

Last edited by Runtothehills; 02-03-2015 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:14 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Runtothehills
This sounds ominously like KWs based on my recent order....or something hefty enough to be low volume,, Thanks for the vid John, great to see the air cooled crew and study the lines a bit further, The only thing online I found re the Puke lines is from the NZ racetrack manual, detailing the hairpin, not sure if anyone has this, or if its worth getting... http://www.tracktime.co.nz/racetrack-manual/
Sam, Chris and Matt have the Mike Eady penned guide to NZ race tracks. I think it's out of print so it's a borrow and copy effort, most likely.

I could have got a lot closer to you guys out there as the tyre/power combo allowed me to take some weird lines, but I didn't have time to tell you all what I was up to so decided to hang back a bit. As it was some of you assumed I was on a mission and pulled over.

While I obviously hope my as yet undisclosed mods will improve my times, the best mod so far car wise has been the Z221s. Accepted that the rest of the car has to be in reasonable condition as well to make it useful, but those tyres just stick and give such confidence in the corners. The 996TT didn't overpower them so the 964 has even less chance.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:49 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Agree on the Z221 John. Even on spirited road drives like the one Doug organised back in November, I only managed to over power them a couple of times (just a little and they are so progressive). I think Chris M will remember. They are sweet tyres and frankly in all but very cold or very wet conditions I should say they are worth at least 2 seconds at HD and more at longer tracks like Taupo. Just brilliant tyres and Ive never even thought to look elsewhere of alternatives. They are without competition for fast road/track work IMO.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:15 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Agree on the Z221 John. Even on spirited road drives like the one Doug organised back in November, I only managed to over power them a couple of times (just a little and they are so progressive). I think Chris M will remember. They are sweet tyres and frankly in all but very cold or very wet conditions I should say they are worth at least 2 seconds at HD and more at longer tracks like Taupo. Just brilliant tyres and Ive never even thought to look elsewhere of alternatives. They are without competition for fast road/track work IMO.
Just ordered my new set. $1600 fitted and balanced. Fitted on a special machine so the rims don't get touched. I don't need them until after the cape Reinga trip but am taking no chances that there is a late rush of orders and they go out of stock.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:37 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Final Pukekohe video. The Air cooled bunch. http://youtu.be/dPkHGYtyTUk Disclaimer. This is just cobbled together with basic cuts, no fades. Yes, the radio is on - I like it that way. No, I didn't warn you guys I would be out in your session so I realise some of you slowed down to let me pass (not my intention to confuse). No, those are not my normal lines, I used them to get better views of your cars.
John - 5.43 is a good bit of film

I love it mate - radio on - did you have the sunroof open and your arm out the window too..??

Old 01-29-2014, 08:44 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

PSS10's and ARB's are in transit................

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?