Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 04:27 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I really think there would be some value in you fellas all swapping keys for 2-3 hours at a time heading up to Reianga. I cant express enough how trying others cars can really help you nail what to do on your own and its been my single biggest impediment personally to learning as I never got the opportunity myself (hence why Im always happy to give folk like Paul looking for a 993 a go, or many others in the past). The best way to figure out how well you have set up your car is to hop in someone elses and drive theres for a while. I reckon if you did that you would quickly understand the effects of weight, suspension (say Dougs C2), Chris C4 would give you different ideas on suspension, brake feel, Geo etc.
^^^^^ Yup - what he said...........

Doug - congrats on the new car. Glad it has gone to an RSG home.

Last edited by kiwi 911; 02-11-2014 at 05:21 AM.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:31 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

John. If your expecting to see much in a chip dont be too disappointed. We tested Steve Weiners Chip and two versions of Steve Wongs chip on the dyno and the improvements were minor. Nothing you could really pick up with the butt dyno and certainly nothing your AIM will pick up (to many variables in testing method). What the chip will be good for is improving throttle response and fuel economy as well as hopefully addressing your LWFC stalling issue. There may be 8-12 bhp in there somewhere but youll be hard pressed to notice form my experience. If you are doing the conversion to MAF with a different airfilter along with a chip you may see 18-20 bhp....if you want to test the chip properly head out to Hitek Automotive and use their dynopak before and after. I really think there would be some value in you fellas all swapping keys for 2-3 hours at a time heading up to Reianga. I cant express enough how trying others cars can really help you nail what to do on your own and its been my single biggest impediment personally to learning as I never got the opportunity myself (hence why Im always happy to give folk like Paul looking for a 993 a go, or many others in the past). The best way to figure out how well you have set up your car is to hop in someone elses and drive theres for a while. I reckon if you did that you would quickly understand the effects of weight, suspension (say Dougs C2), Chris C4 would give you different ideas on suspension, brake feel, Geo etc.
I was looking at a simple test. Basically nail it in 2 and third and run through to the redline on a straight line. Back to back. If it doesn't do any thing, then it will be returned. Throttle response sounds promising. With a LWFW I should see more drive out of corners. A more stable idle when absolutely cold would be great as well. I'd like to go DD with the car.

Swapping is a great idea. Chris and I were looking at something similar one weekend soon.

Longer term I sense we're building a tight group of closely matched cars that will have great fun on the track playing catch. That's how cars and drivers develop.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:49 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
I was looking at a simple test. Basically nail it in 2 and third and run through to the redline on a straight line. Back to back. If it doesn't do any thing, then it will be returned. Throttle response sounds promising. With a LWFW I should see more drive out of corners. A more stable idle when absolutely cold would be great as well. I'd like to go DD with the car.

Swapping is a great idea. Chris and I were looking at something similar one weekend soon.

Longer term I sense we're building a tight group of closely matched cars that will have great fun on the track playing catch. That's how cars and drivers develop.
Yeah, and wait until I get my vintage 911 in there. Might be hard to keep pace. Pangs of regret seeing Doug bugger off in mine but hoping for great things with the next one. Tonight, I started designing some of the loveliness that will feature inside. The CNC, laser cutter and anodiser will be flat out.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:55 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
Yeah, and wait until I get my vintage 911 in there. Might be hard to keep pace. Pangs of regret seeing Doug bugger off in mine but hoping for great things with the next one. Tonight, I started designing some of the loveliness that will feature inside. The CNC, laser cutter and anodiser will be flat out.
Sounds like a Kohi special is on the way. It will be interesting to see how long you stay away from the track. Maybe build a drive of Steve's cars into the deal while he's building it!
Old 02-11-2014, 05:07 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave - I'm guessing the sale rules you out of the 26th - or is Doug loaning you the boxster?!!
Old 02-11-2014, 05:08 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

John. The differences will be subtle and within the margin of error of your reaction time. The behaviour of the car with LWFC under wide open throttle (WOT) out of corners should not differ remarkably from before. If the chip can give you slightly better throttle sensitivity (TPS acuity) and solve your stalling issues when the car is cold then its job done. If you really want to test the difference precisely use a dyno. Its not expensive and will provide some AFR v TQ & HP traces to send Steve so he can refine the programming on the chip.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:12 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Finally got some time to read through the last couple of days of posts.

Me neither. If 964s were 70K rather than 40K I suspect we would have a lot less 911s in RSG which isnt a great thing.... John. You would need to ask Dean if this offer still exists. IIRC it was offered to owners of cars (indiscriminate of age) that were originally sold NZ new and were still serviced since new within the dealer channel. I have a plastic membership card and a Porsche assist sticker on my window-screen to prove qualification. It is the same system used by Porsche and given to owners of new cars. I was given the exact same membership in Switzerland with my GT3 when I picked it up. Its free annually.
Confirmed with Dean this morning. If you have a NZ new car and have it regularly serviced at CCS (I assume this is standard for all Porsche approved service centres) then you qualify for roadside assist.

Just a form to fill in. It is free (with the servicing). Great for the Cape Reinga and especially the SITT.

Rob at Contis is taking his car on the SITT so between him, Dan and our own John we should be able to handle many things.

Originally Posted by peterC2S
221s on the road are pretty noisy but I think the consensus is they get a bit quieter as they wear. You definitely notice the difference when you get back onto good road tyres. If you do need track wheels I'll be selling the BBS Sport Classics that I ran on the 964 for track. Nice and light - perfect fitment for the 964. John McM has first dibs since he and I both bid for them initially on TM. They have been refurbed since then.
There you go John. Can't have too many wheels and I've got 4 sets to your 2. You need to stock up the weaponry.

I best slip Deano a few notes, make sure it fails then be sitting on the sidelines to pick up the pieces
I paid him already
Ha

I'm looking forward to some great competitive laps. Just went for a drive with Doug. He will have a learning curve. The 964 is not as accessible as the later cars. However the base car is there and it's just a matter of getting used to it. I predict he will be circulating faster than his Boxster before the NITT. Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1jfh75rK8Q
Thanks. So right!

Im still of the belief to really know a 911 you need to drive it fast in the wet. Once you can get confident in a 911 in the wet then you become a much better driver for it.... Some people just dont get the old aircooled cars. Ive offered up my keys to Richard Snow on more than one occasion as an example. He's never taken the offer. Dougs had Cayenne S and Boxster for a number of years now. This is not only a first 911 but a first aircooled so it will take a little while to get adjusted. Cant wait to drive with him out on track. It will add a whole new exciting dimension to his SITT. Hope you had a good head unit installed Dave!
The SONY head unit is pretty basic, looks s%#t in the car and rear speakers stuffed. Would like music for long trips. Need to start over but all the modern head units look awful. Doubt Dave ever used it. Might fix the speakers and use this one for a while - it has aux input at least - until finding a long term solution that looks right.

Interesting being a passenger as well, a different perspective. Couldn't help being the second set of eyes for Doug so he didn't prang it while getting used to throttle, gears etc. A lot of people peering over fences etc. It's not a car for the shrinking violet. The other thing I noticed was the stance when Doug was close to the end of the video. It looked hunkered down about to go to battle. A red stealth bomber. Can't wait to get some more multi car shots on the motorway and up to Cape Reinga. Not often four 964s travel together.
+1

Nice write up Doug. Thanks for reminding me There is a lot to love and as Macca has already predicted there will be another one in my future (if Jason can hold off for another 12 months!!) The smell, the sound and the sensation of ploughing through 3rd and 4th on a flowing road is epic. Enjoy!!
Thanks Pete

Im not believing Matt for a minute. There was always something Boogie Nights about that cat. I reckon if it bristles with technology its his. Doug, wonderful write up and so glad to hear you enjoyed your first proper drive. You will only grow to love the car more over time. It wont take you long to master. More so than the boxster the key is always understanding the balance between under-steer and oversteer in these cars. Front end grip and turn in become your weapons to cornering fast as well as being brave on the brakes. The brake and accelerator pedals are very close together so once you get over your initial awkwardness of finding them floor mounted you will find that heel & toe is very easy in a 911 as the distance is short. Heel & toe will become most important in fast tight winding roads to keep the car balanced on downshifts into hard tightening corners whilst under brakes. Turning in earlier than you expect is key to allowing ypou latitude to unwind should you elicit over steer (whist remaining more or less on your side of the road!). Plenty to learn but also some good teachers in Ray and Steve. I think for your next track day you definitely need to pay ray to ride shotgun and help with a fast track style correction for old skool 911. Anyway. Im sure youll enjoy this car. The aircon isnt great but Ive found it can hold its own fine with the typical temperatures of an Auckland summer all but the warmest (you guys still seem to be having pretty mild temps around 25C or less). Its nice to have it touring I find. If you have to do teh condenser there are some newer aftermarket options available that fit and that are far more efficient than the factory unit and you can find info on this on RL.
Thanks so much Macca. Good stuff.

I suspect this will be the next 964 decked out in Fuchs so Lola doesn't really fit. However, I'm reluctant to put any female names out here as I haven't met many of the Gruppe partners.
Wise man

Thank goodness I'm in the normal group on the 26th. I'm starting to feel the pressure. Need more power and/or less weight to keep up the pace. Let's hope Pete and Matt don't come back to 964 ownership any time soon or It will become a 964 tribute group. Good you are getting SRF. We can carry common spares for cars on the epic tour. I have a lot of experience in the smaller repairs e.g. We could fix up that side sill easily. However the main thing is that you have a sorted platform. As long as you stay in my rear view mirror I will be happy
Thanks John. Getting past you is going to be a fun challenge. I have a lot to learn. I can feel the chase already :-P

Originally Posted by mjg
Pretty sure the trans oil would've been changed, it'll be in the Motorscience receipts if so. Macca's right, for a tracked car I'd change it annually. Especially as those cars don't have trans oil coolers.
Originally Posted by mjg
Switching fluids won't solve that, it's a mechanical issue. You need to be patient during that shift. I'd strongly recommend sticking to OEM fluids (or Mobil Delvac with is the factory fill for Porsche race cars) and changing yearly.
Thanks Matt.

Doug. Regards your aircon. These guys below are often recognised on this board as being the best at replacing the failed evaporator with a more modern spec unit which improves efficiency markedly and is a factory fit part. Also upgraded barrier style hoses etc. More often than not at around 15+ years its the evaporator that fails on 964/993 (poor design, gets condensation and rots out, seals are a weak point). Id say over 60% of 964s with running aircon have had this job done. I know its over 1 out of 2 x 993 these days too. When mine goes (which it will) Ill be sourcing the new Kuehl unit as its well regarded... http://www.griffiths.com/porsche/ac/964ac/index.html
Great to know Macca. I'm thinking I'll leave it for now but good to know its able to be fixed for future hot summers. Quite liking no air con, no remote locking, no air bags, no PSM (like my old boxster 986), direct brake feel, super steering feel (gen 1 power steering). Only thing letting down the side is the electric windows and electric sunroof.

John, I commented how your rev counter had LCD km/hr and I hadn't noticed it on Dave's. Reason is mine doesn't have it. I like that. Quite tricky knowing what speed you are doing though and the speedo is pretty much hidden by the momo wheel. Going to have to learn the speed limits in revs per gear. Ha

Chris, looks great. What spec did you ask Peter to set up to? The arms race is in full flight by the look of it. I should have some deliveries this week. If you have a nice quiet road we could test what should arrive tomorrow, on the Weekend. Need to do some back to back testing on through gear runs using the AIM.
Chris, what's your car's height between garage floor and bottom of your sills. I'd like to compare and possibly play with going lower. The C2 fels higher (in terms of speed bump clearance) than the Boxster.

John. If your expecting to see much in a chip dont be too disappointed. We tested Steve Weiners Chip and two versions of Steve Wongs chip on the dyno and the improvements were minor. Nothing you could really pick up with the butt dyno and certainly nothing your AIM will pick up (to many variables in testing method). What the chip will be good for is improving throttle response and fuel economy as well as hopefully addressing your LWFC stalling issue. There may be 8-12 bhp in there somewhere but youll be hard pressed to notice form my experience. If you are doing the conversion to MAF with a different airfilter along with a chip you may see 18-20 bhp....if you want to test the chip properly head out to Hitek Automotive and use their dynopak before and after. I really think there would be some value in you fellas all swapping keys for 2-3 hours at a time heading up to Reianga. I cant express enough how trying others cars can really help you nail what to do on your own and its been my single biggest impediment personally to learning as I never got the opportunity myself (hence why Im always happy to give folk like Paul looking for a 993 a go, or many others in the past). The best way to figure out how well you have set up your car is to hop in someone elses and drive theres for a while. I reckon if you did that you would quickly understand the effects of weight, suspension (say Dougs C2), Chris C4 would give you different ideas on suspension, brake feel, Geo etc.
Originally Posted by kiwi 911
^^^^^ Yup - what he said........... Doug - congrats on the new car. Glad it has done to an RSG home.
Thanks Paul. I'd love to take it on the Targa Tour on hue he 2nd BUT won't have enough seat time and experience to be safe, so will keep to the plan to take the Boxster. I'm very comfortable in it and know its limits (3/10ths more than I throw at it :-))

Like the swap idea but let me get 500k in my own car first please :-)

I was looking at a simple test. Basically nail it in 2 and third and run through to the redline on a straight line. Back to back. If it doesn't do any thing, then it will be returned. Throttle response sounds promising. With a LWFW I should see more drive out of corners. A more stable idle when absolutely cold would be great as well. I'd like to go DD with the car. Swapping is a great idea. Chris and I were looking at something similar one weekend soon. Longer term I sense we're building a tight group of closely matched cars that will have great fun on the track playing catch. That's how cars and drivers develop.
This will be interesting. John has got me interested in the software.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:14 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Good to hear Dave. We'll be the envious ones in a year or so time.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:19 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Dave - I'm guessing the sale rules you out of the 26th - or is Doug loaning you the boxster?!!
Nope. Dave's taking the C2 down for a last blast (we are going to take turns) and when he's out on the track in the C2 I will take the Boxster out and keep an eye on him.

Happy to stand down the Boxster if you need the space.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:27 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Nope. Dave's taking the C2 down for a last blast (we are going to take turns) and when he's out on the track in the C2 I will take the Boxster out and keep an eye on him.

Happy to stand down the Boxster if you need the space.
Multi quote madness tonight Doug - you have been catching up!!

No, if Dave is still in then we are a perfect 15 for the RSG group plus 3 of us running in the regular group.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:05 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Doug has kindly let me peddle to old girl for a final fling
Old 02-11-2014, 01:53 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Doug, you're talking about the on board computer. My car is ex Singapore and yours is NZ new. Maybe they spec'd them differently.

Anyway the tachometer idea is the best in your case. I also suggest that you use a GPS to calibrate your speedo. All three of my cars read 6~7 km/hr optimistic at the speed limit. On the road I run 115 km/hr indicated and shouldn't get a ticket. If I do, it will be a $30 one.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:41 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wonder what happened last time - thought it sold...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-695670941.htm
Old 02-11-2014, 03:45 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Wonder what happened last time - thought it sold... http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-695670941.htm
Apologies to the owner if I've got this wrong, but was this ex Japan and a converted LHD? The problem may have been non disclosure.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:48 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Apologies to the owner if I've got this wrong, but was this ex Japan and a converted LHD? The problem may have been non disclosure.
Just checked. It is ex Japan.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?